Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-09-2020, 10:08 AM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Braaap Motorcycles? Something fishy

While not 4 wheels, this is a local motorcycle company who seems to be running huge sales on a product new to market - new bike for sub $2200 inc GST

https://braaapmotorcycles.com/collections/cafe-racer

It seems there's an open ended delivery date though

People aren't receiving their bikes and there's been some dodgy business happening:

Quote:
New South Wales detectives alleged that the pair were part of a syndicate to scratch off and replace the serial numbers belonging to Braaap’s Cafe Racer model. It was alleged that 85 ST250 motorcycles were “rebirthed” and resold.

The situation may have hurt the brand, but it remained in business.

Following advice from the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC), Collie requested that he be refunded, however Braaap boss Smith said he didn’t have “funds held to offer refunds”.
https://infomoto.com.au/news/braaap-...t-got-my-bike/

There's no reviews on these bikes by any motorbike journalists either from a quick Google search.

The only Youtube content is by one person and a representative of the company.

Smells very fishy to me
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2020, 11:17 AM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Re: Braaap Motorcycles? Something fishy

After dealing / assisting police and detectives for theft and fraud you can give them all they need on a platter and they will still say it's isn't enough for a conviction.

They have people doing it, victims and evidence. Why can't they just hold them till the funds magically appear to pay everyone back?

The system is so weak, and there to support savy criminals who know how to play the many weaknesses of the system to their advangage.

Especially credit card fraud - where banks are happy to absorb several thousands of dollars in losses as it's cheaper than going to all the trouble of investigating, providing statements and possible attending court as a witness.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-09-2020, 11:20 AM   #3
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Not sticking up for the company here but I have seen the same sort of thing in the pinball community, promising delivery dates that go on for years before customers receive their purchase, most people think importing is easy, I have myself been on the receiving end of the government red tape that hampers and slows the importing into Australia let alone other human factors that can slow the delivery date of items.

Its hard when you deal with overseas companies, they want the money up front on orders, they give the shipment date (all going well) then their suppliers have delays, the manufacturer has delays, the shipper has delays, the paperwork for importing gets delayed, then the poor importer is stuck with preorder customers wanting to know why it has not been delivered, people dont want to hear about why its delayed they understandably just want what they paid for.

I think if you can still contact or receive updates from a company, that is a good sign that they are still going to come through with the goods, I think if you have a order with these guys that contacting them and asking why, with proof is a good start.

A better business approach is to cough up the dosh to fill a container with product then pre-sell when its on its way to Australia, ok you might not make a killing on the first container but you have shown you can deliver a product.
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2020, 11:33 AM   #4
pcman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i almost brought one, but had the "deal too good to be true" feeling did some research and found several complaints about 6+ month wait times, the company braaap claim they are waiting for government approval and that is the hold up, they randomly post photos of there bikes sitting in china ready to go
pcman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2020, 11:33 AM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
Not sticking up for the company here but I have seen the same sort of thing in the pinball community, promising delivery dates that go on for years before customers receive their purchase, most people think importing is easy, I have myself been on the receiving end of the government red tape that hampers and slows the importing into Australia let alone other human factors that can slow the delivery date of items.

Its hard when you deal with overseas companies, they want the money up front on orders, they give the shipment date (all going well) then their suppliers have delays, the manufacturer has delays, the shipper has delays, the paperwork for importing gets delayed, then the poor importer is stuck with preorder customers wanting to know why it has not been delivered, people dont want to hear about why its delayed they understandably just want what they paid for.

I think if you can still contact or receive updates from a company, that is a good sign that they are still going to come through with the goods, I think if you have a order with these guys that contacting them and asking why, with proof is a good start.

A better business approach is to cough up the dosh to fill a container with product then pre-sell when its on its way to Australia, ok you might not make a killing on the first container but you have shown you can deliver a product.
I'm aware of the issues with importing, have to deal with this on a daily basis at work but really the wholesaler should be holding stock of the product in the country, otherwise they just become a useless middle man that's a barrier to the customer getting their goods in reasonable time.

I suspect whats happening is braaap motorcycles is basically just running this product as manufacture to order to reduce inventory costs (mr accountant, is that you?), now having to deal with delays ex supplier overseas and as such has decided to take a huge hit on their profit margin by cutting price to attract customers.

There's probably a minimum order quantity before the manufacturer ex China will do a production run for braaap motorcycles, might require more customers to front up before he commits to a manufacturing run, everything is sold prior to the run going ahead.

Then there would be the case of compliance for ADRs which may be done in house in Australia one assumes?

Its good in theory but the problem is a motorbike is a commodity, a commodity you can buy from other suppliers all over the place, braaap doesn't have something unique that they're sitting on.

Availability is important, its all well and good being cheap but it doesn't matter when your customer can't get their hands on what you're selling - 'no stock motors'

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 26-09-2020 at 11:41 AM.
Old 26-09-2020, 11:36 AM   #6
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This co was started by a very young fellow in Launceston a few years ago and was humming along quite nicely for a few years,then got caught up trying to bypass some compliance rules.Got fined a heap of money,but I am pretty sure they are running again and doing everything above board now.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2020, 11:38 AM   #7
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheap Chinese rubbish being flogged by a local shyster on-line.

What could possibly go wrong...
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2020, 11:46 AM   #8
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

A lifetime warranty for $250 handy as.
Old 26-09-2020, 11:47 AM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TLS View Post
A lifetime warranty for $250 handy as.
Heh, the best part is how warranty is used as a marketing term these days, Hyundai/Kia with their epic warranty terms.

Warranty is manufacturing defect right? Not necessarily something wearing out through normal use - ie starter motor or alternator has crapped out because the brushes wore down over 7 years of daily driving.
Old 26-09-2020, 11:50 AM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcman View Post
i almost brought one, but had the "deal too good to be true" feeling did some research and found several complaints about 6+ month wait times, the company braaap claim they are waiting for government approval and that is the hold up, they randomly post photos of there bikes sitting in china ready to go
Here you go here's an example of losing a customer through lack of availability.
Old 26-09-2020, 11:52 AM   #11
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman View Post

Well I,m not sticking up for him,but Brad has been running the show for probably 10 years
Old 26-09-2020, 11:57 AM   #12
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Heh, the best part is how warranty is used as a marketing term these days, Hyundai/Kia with their epic warranty terms.

Warranty is manufacturing defect right? Not necessarily something wearing out through normal use - ie starter motor or alternator has crapped out because the brushes wore down over 7 years of daily driving.
Indeed,no doubt people have shelled out for said warranty though as its a numbers game eh ie theres always victims out there through stupidity/ignorance or just a belief the world smells of roses etc.
The fall out from Norton once again falling over awhile back left a huge trail of debt and disappointment world wide.
Old 26-09-2020, 11:57 AM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman View Post

There's a big market for cheap Chinese rubbish, the problem is you need to be able to get your hands on it first

The problem comes when you want cheap Chinese rubbish but with Australian customer service, warranty expectations and availability.

Once you take into account the latter cheap Chinese rubbish kicks up a price tier.
Old 26-09-2020, 05:00 PM   #14
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Meh, old news.

I never really understood the charges against them, which were a few years ago IIRC. It was something to do with wrongfully fitting new compliance plates, but I never understood why they did it. Whether the bikes had been banned, or written-off, or what.

As for the current "deal" they were offering advance purchase plans on their new model. Along the lines of selling a $4k bike for $2k, and in instalments of $200. Obviously there was a catch, which was that the bikes were a long way off delivery.

If you wanted a ****ty Chinese bike, and you think $4k is a fair price, and you're prepared to wait at least a year, then it was probably a good deal.
If Ford offered to sell me a New Mustang for half price, payable in instalments over two years, but I didn't get the car for 2 years, we'd all be queuing up to buy.
Old 26-09-2020, 05:53 PM   #15
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Meh, old news.

I never really understood the charges against them, which were a few years ago IIRC. It was something to do with wrongfully fitting new compliance plates, but I never understood why they did it. Whether the bikes had been banned, or written-off, or what.

As for the current "deal" they were offering advance purchase plans on their new model. Along the lines of selling a $4k bike for $2k, and in instalments of $200. Obviously there was a catch, which was that the bikes were a long way off delivery.

If you wanted a ****ty Chinese bike, and you think $4k is a fair price, and you're prepared to wait at least a year, then it was probably a good deal.
If Ford offered to sell me a New Mustang for half price, payable in instalments over two years, but I didn't get the car for 2 years, we'd all be queuing up to buy.
Pretty sure they were trying to bypass compliance regs.Because they were somehow considered manufacturers they could fit the comp. plates,so I think they got some passed,then imported a whole lot more which were similiar but not quite up to standard and fitted plates to them,then sold them as being compliant