Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-06-2005, 11:19 AM   #1
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Default Street racing in Sydney

A total of 141 people have been charged in a six-week police drag racing sting in Sydney.

It had to be done but surely the RTA and police could usefully spend some time and money supporting WSID and getting these hoons to a safe venue to hoon around at.

It just has to be at suitable times with enough supervision and no oportunistic police presence or even god forbid a positive police presence and cheap and easy enough for people to get a run.

Its one thing to be told you can't run a street comp beacuse your car is unroadworthy its another to get it put off the road. A softer less aggressive approach may work better certainly in the long term.

I was a joy riding hoon once and would like to help these guys stay on the road safely and stay out of jail if possible too. Not everyone can take the hint some people will still need that big stick approach but carrots work as well.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2005, 01:02 PM   #2
WizBang
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Didn't Sydeny get a new drag way venue last year ?
WizBang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2005, 01:08 PM   #3
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Some people regardless of cost will not pay to run at a dragstip this has been covered in threads in the past, the fact is there will always be morons who think the street is a drag stip and that NO one will ever get hurt, they deserve to be thrown off the road.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2005, 01:10 PM   #4
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Look we all felt indestructible once.

There are hoons and morons in my book not always the same thing.

I was just thinking aloud.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:20 PM   #5
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

WSID= Western Sydney International Dragway
Old 08-06-2005, 01:24 PM   #6
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
Look we all felt indestructible once.

I was just thinking aloud.
I agree I am not saying they are the same thing, I am just making the point, that illegal street drags will always happen even if the drag strip had free entry, so no matter what the police or rta, choose to do or not so wil make difference, and clamping down is the only solution.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2005, 01:40 PM   #7
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

I agree clamp down on the morons its the only way to get the point home sometimes.

I remember sitting in the back of a paddy wagon in Dandenong 20 odd years ago because I didn't get it either.

But try and encourage the hoons into something safer.

I know if I could have run on a real strip and bet money on the outcomes as well, safely on the track with no police I would have done it.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:57 PM   #8
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Problem is the hoons will soon learn "beware the black magna". Its always going to continue to happen, just as much as certain the police will continue to enforce the law against hooners.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2005, 04:46 PM   #9
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree with you to an extent, but I don't agree that it's up to the police to give their time and money into getting these kids onto a proper drag strip. Why should the taxpayer have to fund your racing? Fact is, it's the police's job to nail these idiots and minimise the risk of someone getting hurt. They don't give a toss if you're racing on a strip, they just don't want you racing on the road.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2005, 05:03 PM   #10
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They have a legal dragstrip.. there is no excuses for illegal racing. If their car won't even pass the cursory check at the drags then they should be off the roads.
The police aren't there to **** in everybody's pockets.. they are there to enforce the laws.
If anyone gets busted at the illegal drags.. serves them right.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2005, 05:45 PM   #11
lizardmech

Some people are idiots and won't go to legal drag strips no matter how easy it is. A while ago down here there were illegal drags about 15 mins away from the drag strip on the night it is open.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2005, 11:05 PM   #12
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Making the strip more accessible and open more often may help. One night a week is bullshit.

Still, morons will be morons.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2005, 12:20 AM   #13
RegSpec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=jonbays]A total of 141 people have been charged in a six-week police drag racing sting in Sydney.

You got the headline right then blew it in the first sentence.
When will people learn that STREET RACING IS NOT DRAG RACING!!!!!
Please dont tar us all with the same brush. :
RegSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2005, 12:26 AM   #14
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Man i wish they have a dragstrip in Canberra. I get so ****ed when i see all these dickheads on the news and shit street racing when they have the facilities to go to.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2005, 12:47 AM   #15
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupe
They have a legal dragstrip.. there is no excuses for illegal racing. If their car won't even pass the cursory check at the drags then they should be off the roads.
The police aren't there to **** in everybody's pockets.. they are there to enforce the laws.
If anyone gets busted at the illegal drags.. serves them right.
I don't think its so much that their buzboxes wont past muster. It's more about there is no argueing with a timeslip, some of thes tools would loose 8 seconds off their brags.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2005, 12:49 AM   #16
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner
I agree with you to an extent, but I don't agree that it's up to the police to give their time and money into getting these kids onto a proper drag strip. Why should the taxpayer have to fund your racing? Fact is, it's the police's job to nail these idiots and minimise the risk of someone getting hurt. They don't give a toss if you're racing on a strip, they just don't want you racing on the road.
The same reason why the taxpayer funds crackheads and junkies, it's a problem that needs to be fixed. How many billions of dollars have been ****ed away in recent years because of illegal drugs and smoking, it's a problem that needs to be fixed and the goverment needs to step in and help fix it.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2005, 12:57 AM   #17
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
The same reason why the taxpayer funds crackheads and junkies, it's a problem that needs to be fixed. How many billions of dollars have been ****ed away in recent years because of illegal drugs and smoking, it's a problem that needs to be fixed and the goverment needs to step in and help fix it.
Lock down.l!!!! Fancy doing a drag race at the Rocks!! They must have rocks in their heads!!!

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2005, 12:58 AM   #18
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
Making the strip more accessible and open more often may help. One night a week is bullshit.

Still, morons will be morons.
Yea one night a week makes it impossible for me to make it, im sure many others are in the same boat. Last entry at 7.oopm, wensday's only.

If WSIDW was open from 4pm-2am thurs-sat 90% of street racing would be solved. Tonight there was well over 25o cars there and that alone made it a slow evening but the amount of downtime made it shockingly slow.

Best solution i have heard is have Eastern creek and WSIDW run together, anything over 13 sec run at the creek and anything under run at WSIDW. Twice as many cars will get to race to speed things up and it's still in a safe contolled enviroment, it'll also allow for better racing. Tonight a 8 sec drag car raced a stock peugo (spelling) 16sec 1/4, harldy inspiring isn't it.

People want to be able to race mates or race other cars that they want to not just what ever they get lined up against.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:11 AM   #19
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
Lock down.l!!!! Fancy doing a drag race at the Rocks!! They must have rocks in their heads!!!
Just need to look at all the usual places where 4oo+ cars normally meet on fri/sat nights, massive defect stations and mass police pressence. Be lucky to see 5o cars out now.

The coppers are getting serious now, nearly every side street in one industrial park had a copper sitting in it last weekend. It'll deter the larger % of them that normally head out to watch but the people who race have already made plans and moved on.

A good percetage of people might belive only shittas get out and street race but your wrong. Alot of cars that are seen racing on the street are also normally seen running respectable times at the track, to the tune of 10-11-12 sec passes.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:26 AM   #20
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRQTOR
Yea one night a week makes it impossible for me to make it, im sure many others are in the same boat. Last entry at 7.oopm, wensday's only.

If WSIDW was open from 4pm-2am thurs-sat 90% of street racing would be solved. Tonight there was well over 25o cars there and that alone made it a slow evening but the amount of downtime made it shockingly slow.

Best solution i have heard is have Eastern creek and WSIDW run together, anything over 13 sec run at the creek and anything under run at WSIDW. Twice as many cars will get to race to speed things up and it's still in a safe contolled enviroment, it'll also allow for better racing. Tonight a 8 sec drag car raced a stock peugo (spelling) 16sec 1/4, harldy inspiring isn't it.

People want to be able to race mates or race other cars that they want to not just what ever they get lined up against.
Jesus have a fricken cry. There's no drag strips anywhere near me! Doesn't give me the right to get on the street and race, does it?
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2005, 08:14 AM   #21
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Jesus have a fricken cry. There's no drag strips anywhere near me! Doesn't give me the right to get on the street and race, does it?
Absolutely!!! A life is too easy to lose at those speeds.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2005, 08:36 AM   #22
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellboy999
Some people regardless of cost will not pay to run at a dragstip this has been covered in threads in the past, the fact is there will always be morons who think the street is a drag stip and that NO one will ever get hurt, they deserve to be thrown off the road.
I agree.

Quote:

But hoons are morons!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2005, 08:51 AM   #23
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:

But hoons are morons!

Come on admit it your a car hoon too or have been!

Every car enthusiast I am sure has been stupid and hooned around some times. That doesn't make them stupid. just maybe lacking a bit of self control.

Redirecting this to somewhere safeer controlable is the idea.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:45 AM   #24
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Did i have a cry, nope i didn't think so. Did i ever say that anyone has a right to race on the street, didn't think so either. In future read what I actually wrote before shooting your mouth off : .
Old 09-06-2005, 10:51 AM   #25
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellboy999
How many of these do you think are running P plates? :hihi:
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2005, 11:48 AM   #26
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Come on admit it your a car hoon too or have been!

Every car enthusiast I am sure has been stupid and hooned around some times. That doesn't make them stupid. just maybe lacking a bit of self control.

Redirecting this to somewhere safeer controlable is the idea.
No I am not and hooning is dangerous and illegal for the simple reason it is not safe.
I am not saying I have never been a hoon, I was a mild hoon during the first couple of years but woke up well before my P licence had finished.

Enthusiest and Hoon are two different people. Only Ray martin confuses them!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2005, 12:18 PM   #27
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Man i wish they have a dragstrip in Canberra.
They already do - It's called Northbourne Avenue, 3 lanes, you get a pic if you red light, and you can even get a print out of your top speed... :hihi:

Seriously, when Canberra had a drag strip, you still had people racing on the street. I raced at a few street meets at the dragway, and the value for money here was a lot better than going to Sydney. If you picked the right meet, you could get 15-20 runs for the day, all for $40ish.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:36 PM   #28
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by '67
They already do - It's called Northbourne Avenue, 3 lanes, you get a pic if you red light, and you can even get a print out of your top speed... :hihi:

Seriously, when Canberra had a drag strip, you still had people racing on the street. I raced at a few street meets at the dragway, and the value for money here was a lot better than going to Sydney. If you picked the right meet, you could get 15-20 runs for the day, all for $40ish.
Lol yer good ol Northbourne Av. That is a massive straight. They even sometimes have a double dip with a camera van after the red light cameras.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2005, 01:03 PM   #29
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Only Ray martin confuses them!
Ray Martin confuses his hair pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by '67
I raced at a few street meets at the dragway, and the value for money here was a lot better than going to Sydney. If you picked the right meet, you could get 15-20 runs for the day, all for $40ish.
The beauty of this was having a timeslip. I rather be the guy who says he ran a 14 and has a timeslip, than the tosser who ran a sub 10, but never had one.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2005, 02:08 PM   #30
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_EL_XR8
I don't think its so much that their buzboxes wont past muster. It's more about there is no argueing with a timeslip, some of thes tools would loose 8 seconds off their brags.
I've dragraced various street cars for over 20 years. When I was younger I couldn't understand why some mates would never race at Calder, but would street race.
Street racing is; dangerous, illegal, and so hit and miss with starting together and who finished first.

Dragracing is; safer than driving to and from the track, legal and you get an official timeslip you can compare with anyone anywhere. Not just the guy in the other lane.

Until you have run your car over the quatermile any performance claims are just speculation. When I speak to my old friends that street raced "the older they get the faster they were!"

Show me a timeslip or dream on!

Last edited by Work Horse; 09-06-2005 at 03:42 PM.
Work Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post