Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-12-2020, 05:33 PM   #1
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Default help buying stuff from overseas and ebay procedure.

i want to buy some stuff from overseas. at this time its just a book and dvd, but later it probably will be a lot more money. through ebay. however, i,m not really getting the total cost in Australian dollars , until i get into the paypal checkout page. the ebay checkout page is showing USA dollars plus import extra duties, then paypal does the USA to Australian dollar conversion.

the final cost blew out and i backed out of the deal.

am i obligated to pay the seller, still?

i have trouble navigating these big sites, and not to good at reading pages to get a single question answered.

thanks
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2020, 05:38 PM   #2
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: help buying stuff from overseas and ebay procedure.

Fleabay are champs for that. Massively under-estimate the total foreign price until you commit.

They’ll guilt you with an “unpaid item strike”. But that’s probably all they can do.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-12-2020, 06:04 PM   #3
Pis-ton broke
Banned

yes, its a bit misrepresentation on price,
if the original price is x

then i press buy, then price x plus import duties

then i press paypal, then its x plus duties ,plus dollar conversion. plus paypal exchange rate.

at nearly doubles to original price.

i clicked on something worth hundreds to get a final price, i hope i'm not trouble.
Old 29-12-2020, 06:06 PM   #4
Pis-ton broke
Banned

there should be a cancel order button.
Old 29-12-2020, 06:11 PM   #5
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

did you buy through paypal ? If so, explain to them via a complaint explaining how it progressed.
If they agree to cancel the order, the ****ers can't leave negative feedback (because the purchase doesn't exist anymore)

If you didn't use paypal, contact the seller and in a majority of cases they will agree to cancel the purchase, they don't want the flaming in feedback either
Mr_G6ET is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2020, 06:20 PM   #6
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_G6ET View Post
did you buy through paypal ? If so, explain to them via a complaint explaining how it progressed.
If they agree to cancel the order, the ****ers can't leave negative feedback (because the purchase doesn't exist anymore)

If you didn't use paypal, contact the seller and in a majority of cases they will agree to cancel the purchase, they don't want the flaming in feedback either
thanks, i,m up to about $800 so far i accidently on purpose ordered, i'll get on that.
Old 29-12-2020, 06:28 PM   #7
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
thanks, i,m up to about $800 so far i accidently on purpose ordered, i'll get on that.
If you go back to seller and explain, first, then lodge a complaint if you don't have any joy. I believe you will be ok.

I use that 'fleabay' often and never been duped, often OS
Old 29-12-2020, 06:31 PM   #8
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

PM what you are buying (if not personal) , its amazing what is online free
Old 29-12-2020, 06:40 PM   #9
Pis-ton broke
Banned

in the ebay cart , it has a remove button, i click it and sent a message.

i'm after paramotoring gear, Australian sellers are hugely expensive.
Old 29-12-2020, 06:56 PM   #10
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
in the ebay cart , it has a remove button, i click it and sent a message.

i'm after paramotoring gear, Australian sellers are hugely expensive.
Um, if it's in cart, just don't go further.. Its only once 'commit to buy' or have payed is there a problem.
I hold **** it cart and cancel many times. Cart isnt 'commited'
Old 29-12-2020, 07:01 PM   #11
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_G6ET View Post
Um, if it's in cart, just don't go further.. Its only once 'commit to buy' or have payed is there a problem.
I hold **** it cart and cancel many times. Cart isnt 'commited'
Yes this.

And yeah ebay and paypal r@pe us on currency conversion.
lumen8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2020, 07:07 PM   #12
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

and now to get the cheap stuff, suggest contact mostly_broncos (here on AFF but in U.S) and get him to purchase in the U.S, do the deal through paypal (both protected) and post it to you... just a suggestion but doable

Maybe you have other U.S based contacts/friends

Last edited by Mr_G6ET; 29-12-2020 at 07:26 PM.
Old 29-12-2020, 07:19 PM   #13
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Sounds like you are using ebay USA or ebay International rather than ebay Australia here: https://www.ebay.com.au/ The Australian site will list stuff from the US that can be shipped to Oz.
Old 29-12-2020, 07:36 PM   #14
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

They (Fleabay) could offer via PayPal, an accurate quote for “How much will this cost me?” with a countdown timer locking in that price for (say) 120 seconds.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2020, 07:55 PM   #15
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Sounds like you are using ebay USA or ebay International rather than ebay Australia here: https://www.ebay.com.au/ The Australian site will list stuff from the US that can be shipped to Oz.
This. I bet he's using eBay.com and not eBay.com.au.

If the item is in the US (or in any other country), it shows in AU$ on Australian eBay. Import duties usually get calculated at checkout, not before, and it has nothing to do with eBay, it is Australian laws. Shipping cost is there before you purchase. If not you can ask for a quote.

Been using eBay to purchase stuff from all over the world and have had zero 'total cost' surprises ever. Don't have a dig at eBay because of your... ummm..
misunderstanding.
Tickford. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2020, 07:55 PM   #16
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

When I buy stuff directly from the US via either US ebay Canada ebay or direct from US or Canadian sites I usually ship via a MyUS account (see https://www.myus.com/) that I pay an annual subscription for. This MyUS.Com account allows me to collect a number of North American sourced purchases from different sources in the MyUs post box then when I am ready, have them all shipped to me as/in one parcel reducing the shipping costs. MyUS also give you a choice of shipping agencies such as FedEx, DHL, USPS etc with different delivery dates and costs. Many US and Canadian retailers also offer free shipping to the MyUs addresses in Sarasota, Florida further saving on shipping costs.

I initially established a MyUS account over 20 years ago when my children were young and playing inline hockey (then later ice hockey) and wanted gear from the US that was simply unavailable in Australia and where some US manufacturers actually prohibited their North American based retailer from shipping to Australia (I think so they could then dump the previous year's old outmoded/unfashionable model stock in Australia with Australian retailers). MyUS.com has for me been reliable and economical and, although my children are now adults and no longer require inline or ice hockey gear, I still occasionally use it for books, automotive parts and tools I cannot buy from an Australian supplier. I recently (April this year) bought some longer arms for my Bendpak scissor lift from JMC automotive (2 sets of these https://jmcautomotiveequipment.com/t...lift-set-of-2/ ) that Bendpak Australia could not supply and had them sent via the MyUS.com account.

I mostly buy everything from Australian suppliers now directly or via ebay and have thought about cancelling the MyUs account as there been some years where I have not used it at all but then something pops up I need or think I need that I can only get from the US. I have never had any issues although as with whatever system you use to get stuff from North America to Oz, blizzards, earthquakes, Hurricanes and other events like pandemics that close airports or slow shipping can causes some delays.
Old 29-12-2020, 07:58 PM   #17
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
This. I bet he's using eBay.com and not eBay.com.au.
The other advantage of using eBay.com.au is that you are still fully covered by Australia consumer protection laws. While many US States and Cities have Better Business Bureau that have similar purposes (and I have used them successfully for undelivered/unsent goods issues) it takes a while to track the relevant one down and they are more aligned to looking after local consumers needs rather than complaints from overseas buyers.
Old 29-12-2020, 08:01 PM   #18
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
I mostly buy everything from Australian suppliers now directly or via ebay and have thought about cancelling the MyUs account as there been some years where I have not used it at all but then something pops up I need or think I need that I can only get from the US. I have never had any issues although as with whatever system you use to get stuff from North America to Oz, blizzards, earthquakes, Hurricanes and other events like pandemics that close airports or slow shipping can causes some delays.
Does this help with US based (eBay or other) items that states 'Does not ship to Australia'? Have come across a few like that and it it's frustrating. Do you need a US bases postal address for these items?
Tickford. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2020, 08:28 PM   #19
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

https://www.myus.com/
2 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2020, 08:37 PM   #20
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
Does this help with US based (eBay or other) items that states 'Does not ship to Australia'? Have come across a few like that and it it's frustrating. Do you need a US bases postal address for these items?
Yes as far as seller sending stuff to you address at MyUS.com are concerned they are shipping to a USA address in Sarasota Florida. It's how I got around the restriction/ban Nike and other inline and ice hockey gear makers put on their North American based retailers selling and sending stuff to Australia. You get allocated by MyUS.com an address to use like "Unit 789 Express Lane Sarasota Florida".
Old 29-12-2020, 09:02 PM   #21
Pis-ton broke
Banned

yes it was through the USA ebay. i do a search for an item on google and it seems that USA ebay pops up with more products for sale, so i click on them. when I search through aussie ebay, it seems very limited. but i'm no expert on the oversea buying.
Old 29-12-2020, 09:14 PM   #22
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
yes it was through the USA ebay. i do a search for an item on google and it seems that USA ebay pops up with more products for sale, so i click on them. when I search through aussie ebay, it seems very limited. but i'm no expert on the oversea buying.
Unless you have some sort of US address to ship to, it's best to stay with ebay oz. Otherwise it will both cost you an arm and a leg and you will have no iron glad consumer laws to fall back on and you will have to rely on the goodwill of sellers and the various Better Business Bureaus if anything goes wrong and the ebay buyers' guarantee gives no joy.

Last edited by aussiblue; 29-12-2020 at 09:23 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2020, 09:31 PM   #23
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
Unless you have some sort of US address to ship to, it's best to stay with ebay oz. Otherwise it will both cost you an arm and a leg and you will have no iron glad consumer laws to fall back on and you will have to rely on the goodwill of sellers and the various Better Business Bureaus if anything goes wrong.
thanks, i searched aussie ebay and found the paramotor engine that i want , it is about $4000.00 aussie dollars https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/POLINI-T...frcectupt=true . i want to buy this through paypal, it looks legit to me. he has a 100% positive feed back, paypal offers protections too. do you think its safe?
thanks
Old 29-12-2020, 09:38 PM   #24
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Yes Oz ebay Buyer's protection will cover you for a several months then paypal after that. And after that the ACCC will chase up ebay and paypal if the don't look after you. And if you link Paypal to an Amex gold or platinum account they will also protect you further as I suppose other credit companies will also do. I use Amex and they have been good at getting ebay and paypal moving faster in the few cases it has been needed.
Old 29-12-2020, 09:54 PM   #25
Pis-ton broke
Banned

thanks much, the amex thing was in my mind too, its just a lot money to send to a stranger, in a far away country.
Old 30-12-2020, 01:56 AM   #26
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
thanks much, the amex thing was in my mind too, its just a lot money to send to a stranger, in a far away country.
Don't forget the 10% GST component that Customs will want when it arrives (you will get an email customs declaration request and will need to email a copy of your ebay receeipt to Customs) and try and ensure it sent tracked and insured by a reliable shipper. I'd choose the Fedex over the Canadian Post option (which I thing then becomes Australia Post in Oz) albeit Fedex once it get to Australia now becomes TNT per https://www.fedex.com/en-au/connect.html My lift arms came via Fedex/TNT and there were no issues. I have never spent that much on one order yet, but I have had a few things over $1,000 and some very close to $2,000 often with the shipping cost being the major cost component (as was the case with the lift arms) without any drama so far. Usually I try to stay with well know sellers such as Rock Auto https://www.rockauto.com/ , Summit https://www.summitracing.com/ and Eastwood https://www.eastwood.com/ or companies I have dealt with before such as JMC https://jmcautomotiveequipment.com/ where I had previously bought some smaller cheaper car lift accessories.

Last edited by aussiblue; 30-12-2020 at 02:22 AM.
Old 30-12-2020, 02:51 AM   #27
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

I assume you can't get it cheaper by buying directly from Polini in Italy via their eshop? https://www.polinithor.com/en/thor-190-hf-2-2/
Quote:
928.000.071 THOR 190 EVO HF – with centrifugal clutch Public price Euro 2.490,00 + VAT
928.000.072 THOR 190 HF with electric and manual starter– Public price Euro 2.560,00+ VAT
928.000.073 THOR 190 HF with ELECTRIC starter centrifugal clutch and manual FLASH starter – Public price Euro 2.760,00+ VAT
https://polini.shop/en/

Hmm, that is dearer after converting from Euros to AU$'s. I wonder why. Still I also found that, when Australia still made tools, I could buy the Australian made tools cheaper from the US even with shipping as the large US chains had both the bulk buying power and lacked the multilevel agency arrangements that used to be used to distribute tools to retailers in Australia with every layer in the chain getting a cut or commission.

Last edited by aussiblue; 30-12-2020 at 03:00 AM.
Old 30-12-2020, 03:19 AM   #28
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it is still needed I could arrangepPurchase for you (in Atlanta) if so, DM me.
But I think your probably had ebay thinking you were american, I had found the estimates given for US interntional purchase from Sydney were accurate when I was still there
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2020, 04:39 AM   #29
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To the OP,
If you have only clicked on "Buy It Now" you can simply exit the transaction at any point, up until you click on "Commit to Buy."
If you've done that, hen you will need to contact the. Seller and ask them to cancel he deal. Most will do so rather than trying to chase you for payment.

When shopping on ebay USA, you can sometimes flick I back to Aus, just by inserting the ".au" into the address bar.
It really is simpler to shop on the au site, and simply change the location 5o worldwide. Anything listed on the USA site, by a seller who ships to Aus, will show up in your searches.
Plus the au site will collect the GST and save mucking about.

Note that if using a credit or debit card to pay via Paypal, you can choose to keep the transaction in USD, and let your bank do the conversion instead of PayPal
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2020, 11:31 AM   #30
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Aussieblue i agree that sticking with the prover sell is safest and that i'm buying from a dealer that specializes in this product. i will ring my bank and check to see it they offer protections too. a had a shop around and the Canadian guy was the best i could find.

thanks crazy dazz, good point about the transaction , going through the bank.