Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 02-09-2010, 01:59 PM   #1
elgreko

Default Tdci Tune Box

G'day bought a TDCI tune box on ebay yesterday, tunit brand normally $1250, for $475 the guy is a tunit retailer gave me a 30 day warranty with it! Was in another car the guy took it out when he sold the car! lets see how it goes!! Have done some research on this product its suppose to be good!!! 119kw 350nm tourque!

Old 02-09-2010, 11:23 PM   #2
Loris
Focus & Territory TDCi

let us know how you go.. very interested in one

also what model year is your tdci?
Loris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
Marlboro2728

Intresting to see how this goes, maybe after the warranty is up
Marlboro2728 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2010, 01:22 PM   #4
elgreko

Well Guys, I have installed the tune box, and I am a little disappointed, no where near to 30% extra power! I would say probably about 15% noticeable. On the specs is says 119KW and 362Nm torque, maybe on a dyno, but not in the real word of driving! There is more power and torque in 5th and 6th gear especially going up hills, and on the freeway just put you foot down at 100kph and she takes off!! I have also noticed more torque in second gear! Fuel economy is slightly better, still bit too early to say! and less smoke noticed mostly at night. I personally would not pay the full price for this tune box!($1280)
Old 12-09-2010, 01:34 PM   #5
Loris
Focus & Territory TDCi

that sucks, here is an email I received from one of the reps when I enquired about one:

The Tunit to suit the Focus is the V-CR code#NTUN089. The price for these units are $1280 incl GST, you would need to check with your dealer on fitting costs.

This particular Tunit comes complete with a detachable harness that has original manufacturers Delfi plugs matching the ones on your engine.
Installation is simply a case of fitting the two plugs on the Tunit harness to two plugs on your engine. With the Tunit there is no need for dismantling or going inside your ECU.

Installation can be carried out either by yourself as full installation instructions are supplied or by a dealer. Your closest dealers are

a.. Daalder Exhaust - 210 Plenty Rd, Preston ph: 9480 3198
b.. Opposite Lock - 23 Stubbs St, Mth Melbourne ph: 9376 5330
c.. Auto Tyre & Exhausts - 8 Walters St, Craigieburn ph: 9333 7880

As well as improved torque throughout the RPM range, the torque is also
increased lower down where it is needed, giving better acceleration,
throttle response and more pulling power.

Your Power would increase from 100Kw to 120Kw and Torque from 320Nm to
approx 370Nm.

The Tunit has ten different settings. By prising off the rear access panel,
you can adjust the Tunit manually. The Tunit is pre-programmed for your
individual vehicle, however each car can be different in output and
characteristics and for this reason you can choose between the settings to
suit your vehicle. This setting can also be altered if you were to further
modify your vehicle with performance filters, turbo's or intercoolers etc.

If you wish to carry out extra modifications to your vehicle or if you have
special requirements then we can re-program you unit to suit. This is
generally carried out after first installation.

As a result of tuning most people tend to gain 7-10% better fuel economy.
This can vary from vehicle to vehicle and depends on application/driver but
is generally the case.

If you would like any further information please don't hesitate to either
call or email me.
Old 13-09-2010, 10:11 AM   #6
elgreko

Yep that sounds like Troy in QLD he is the bloke I spoke to about it as well, he gave me the same details!!!
Old 13-09-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
Loris
Focus & Territory TDCi

does your unit need to be reprogrammed maybe? does it have a knob you can turn to adjust it?
Old 13-09-2010, 05:11 PM   #8
elgreko

I have already sent it back once to be reprogramed, I have maxed out the setting! if u gun it too much it over fuels and engin switches off. But he told me that it could do that, if I maxed the setting.
Old 13-09-2010, 08:50 PM   #9
Loris
Focus & Territory TDCi

thats exactly what my old one did.. it would continuosly go into limp home mode when gunning it.. i tried all settings and it kept doing it.. didnt want to risk the engine any further and returned it.. i hope you have better luck!
Old 13-09-2010, 10:05 PM   #10
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

My son had one on his Astra Diesel manual, he was a rep and clocked up over 100,000 k's in 3 years. The car performed very well with the box installed but the best results were achieved at around the mid tune. They are adjustable but it is done with a bridge fitting, bit like a fuse, you take it out of one slot and fit it in the next to change the fuelling rate. Depending on the engine make and model will determine how much you gain, some models get great results while others are only moderate. Also these boxes do not 'reprogram' the ecu so any factory torque controls in lower gears are still present which is why you won't feel much difference in the lower gears, especially with the auto box in the Focus. The difference in the manual Astra was very noticeable and the engine made good power through to 5,000 rpm where as in stock form it ran out of puff by 3,800 – 4,000.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post