Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-06-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Default No V8 option from Ford in 2010....

Hi guy's, this is the exact conversation and what I was told minutes ago by a new car sales man at my local Ford dealer, now before anyone goes of on a tangent here, I 1stly must say that I had a very deep and meaningfull discusion or should I say debate with this chap.
It started out as I had some time up my sleave and was out that way and decided to drop into the Ford dealership just to see what they had on offer,

The salesman approached me and I told him politely that I was mearly just killing time and having a look, typically he had to try and sell me something, so I played along a little and said I was really waiting untill the series II anyway, and he then said thats yrs away,
I told him that I expect to see it mid next yr, and anyway I wasn't sold on whether I wanted an V8 again or try a turbo six, he then told me that I would not be able to buy a V8 come this time next yr as Ford are dropping the V8 alltogether,
This is when my blood boiled and I said where did he get this info from and can I see a memo as there must be a memo or are you just hear saking, he said no, I have or we have been told by Ford Aus that there will be no V8's available at all in 2010,
I said I had heard about a certain new V8 being tested and such and that I didn't believe him and could he please show me some proof, he said it is because of the fuel crissis and people arn't buying V8's.
Now at this stage I was really annoyed with the fact that a Ford dealership at this stage of the Fincial crisis and selling a new car would be a priority to any dealership, that a new carsales man would actually say this and start such rummours,
I looked at this individual and said , I am disgusted that a new carsalesman would say such things and said some rather foul word's and walked out on him, another saleslady that heard this come after me and polietly appoligised.
But I find it extreamly dishearting that such a dealership would employ this kind of tatics.
Anyway I now know why this certain dealership does not have as much stock on hand anymore and look's to be sruggling to do bussiness, I can clearly say that they will never see my $$$$ ever again. :evil3:

galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Very disappointing indeed.
Old 20-06-2009, 02:17 PM   #3
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

He's full of it.

V8 sales are the highest they've ever been
And if Ford weren't planning on a V8 next year, they wouldn't have wasted money building and testing a new supercharged 5.0L V8

Maybe he's just a 6T fan boy?

Last edited by DoreSlamR; 20-06-2009 at 02:23 PM.
DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

He's probably talking about the demise of the current BOSS V8 iteration.......
It will not comply with the future EURO emissions regs so it is well known that it will not continue on beyond 2010...........

There will be a new V8 from FORD AU........stacks of discussion on this forum about it.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 02:30 PM   #5
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can understand why the V8 "could" become the domain of FPV only..... and the I6T is Ford only...

Old 20-06-2009, 02:32 PM   #6
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Did you see his XR6 Turbo in the car park : Must be a 6T fan.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 02:38 PM   #7
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, I think he's full of it. Chances are he was hoping you'd go :
" oh no, no V8 in 2010.. I better buy one today! "
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 02:41 PM   #8
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP
He's probably talking about the demise of the current BOSS V8 iteration.......
It will not comply with the future EURO emissions regs so it is well known that it will not continue on beyond 2010...........

There will be a new V8 from FORD AU........stacks of discussion on this forum about it.
No I mentioned that about the Boss not meeting Euro IV emmisions and that a newly developed V8 is what I have heard is being developed but he insisted that there will be No V8's on offer from Ford in their range at all.
Old 20-06-2009, 02:43 PM   #9
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
No I mentioned that about the Boss not meeting Euro IV emmisions and that a newly developed V8 is what I have heard is being developed but he insisted that there will be No V8's on offer from Ford in their range at all.
Maybe he's talking it up because he's jealous that a mere member of the public knows more about Ford then he does :evil3:
Old 20-06-2009, 02:46 PM   #10
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He may have meant just Ford, not FPV...

Old 20-06-2009, 02:50 PM   #11
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

He's trying to get you to buy a car, you express interest in a SII V8, which is still many months way from being released, so he tried to scare you into buying a current V8 'while you have the chance'.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 02:52 PM   #12
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
He may have meant just Ford, not FPV...
You could be right, as he did only mention Ford,
Even though I did mention that I have heard that FPV were or maybe testing a new V8, he still precived and shook his head and said No, there is not going to be a V8 option as far as he was concerened.
I should have asked him what does that mean for a company like FPV then??.
Either way I find he was mearly just starting a rummour and had no fact's to back up any claim's to which I asked for numourous times.
Old 20-06-2009, 02:57 PM   #13
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmon
He's trying to get you to buy a car, you express interest in a SII V8, which is still many months way from being released, so he tried to scare you into buying a current V8 'while you have the chance'.
No I don't think he was, because as soon as he aproached me I told him I was just killing time and had no intention to buy any vehicle new or old right now, and that I was waiting till the next series which I knew was comming mid 2010.
Then we talked about the new updated version and new colour on the Terri's which was in the showroom, then we got onto the fact that they had a white XR8 there in the showroom and then I mentioned I allready had a V8 and was waiting till the next V8.

Last edited by galaxy xr8; 20-06-2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 20-06-2009, 03:04 PM   #14
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

already posted, never mind

foot note. Most sales men are idiots anyway
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 03:05 PM   #15
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

Hmmm, salesman tactics...? The V8 configuration isn't going anywhere, the Boss version is though.
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 03:14 PM   #16
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

You care too much about what a salesman said, many of them don't know much about the current range of cars much less what is coming.
It was a low sales tactic, i wouldn't read anything else into it.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 03:19 PM   #17
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stylist
Hmmm, salesman tactics... The V8 configuration isn't going anywhere, the Boss version is though.

There could be something to this. You would think a crate engine would fit straight in and be cost effective but the way FPV have been operating their engine plant a crate engine might not be the saviour we all thought it should be.

When you consider the engine development of the FG XR8 was essentially done many years ago, if the volume has slipped far enough the cost of purchasing a crate engine might not be a possibility.

Add to this the fact that perhaps the early version of the 5.0 might not be what Ford Aust wants. We might have to sit out 2010 till say DI come on stream.

I think there might be a number of reasons that add credibility to these claims.

After all that this will be a very sad day for me if this ends up being the case. I see a few FG XR8s and thought they were doing ok. This new engine really could make a difference.

If FPV get the GT wrong there is no fall back V8 option at a reasonable (relative) price, Ford will essentially be handing the V8 market back to Holden.

It goes on; the marketing image of V8 racing, the moulds for the bulge and who pays for what and at day’s end FORD would have left the V8 again.

It’s the second time I have heard this so I am now concerned there might be substance. The first person wasn't a salesman.

I am not prepared to write this one off just yet. I hope it’s a communication error but it could be anything.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 03:31 PM   #18
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
There could be something to this. You would think a crate engine would fit straight in and be cost effective but the way FPV have been operating their engine plant a crate engine might not be the saviour we all thought it should be.

When you consider the engine development of the FG XR8 was essentially done many years ago, if the volume has slipped far enough the cost of purchasing a crate engine might not be a possibility.

Add to this the fact that perhaps the early version of the 5.0 might not be what Ford Aust wants. We might have to sit out 2010 till say DI come on stream.

I think there might be a number of reasons that add credibility to these claims.

After all that this will be a very sad day for me if this ends up being the case. I see a few FG XR8s and thought they were doing ok. This new engine really could make a difference.

If FPV get the GT wrong there is no fall back V8 option at a reasonable (relative) price, Ford will essentially be handing the V8 market back to Holden.

It goes on; the marketing image of V8 racing, the moulds for the bulge and who pays for what and at day’s end FORD would have left the V8 again.

It’s the second time I have heard this so I am now concerned there might be substance. The first person wasn't a salesman.

I am not prepared to write this one off just yet. I hope it’s a communication error but it could be anything.
Now that I think of it, there are many factor's that could come into this and be the end of what we know.
But I do hope Ford Aus look into their past and realise what the '80's did for not only their performance image but a huge loss of their fan base.
I mean the '80's was all about HDT and Brock, their fan base still survives strong today.
Ford's performance image has taken a battering over the yr's and has started to regain some respect as of late and hopefully secure a fan based image.
For Ford Aus to drop the V8 out of their line up again would only be a remake of the '80's all over agian, and once again their image will suffer.
The way I see it now Ford has a line up of V8's that go down the line and FPV grab this V8 and thurther develop it more, same with the mould's for the bonnet, the cost is going to be there no matter what, so I don't understand Ford Aus decision if they do decide to do this??.
Old 20-06-2009, 03:32 PM   #19
The Stylist
Automotive Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
Just out of curiosity, how long ago did you hear this from the first source?
The Stylist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 03:34 PM   #20
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Now that I think of it, there are many factor's that could come into this and be the end of what we know.
But I do hope Ford Aus look into their past and realise what the '80's did for not only their performance image but a huge loss of their fan base.
I mean the '80's was all about HDT and Brock, their fan base still survives strong today.
Ford's performance image has taken a battering over the yr's and has started to regain some respect as of late and hopefully secure a fan based image.
For Ford Aus to drop the V8 out of their line up again would only be a remake of the '80's all over agian, and once again their image will suffer.
The way I see it now Ford has a line up of V8's that go down the line and FPV grab this V8 and thurther develop it more, same with the mould's for the bonnet, the cost is going to be there no matter what, so I don't understand Ford Aus decision if they do decide to do this??.
Sales.. its all about sales.. The contrast between Ford and FPV sales shows the marked contrast in buyer demographic. I could point out some obvious striking differences but......

Old 20-06-2009, 03:47 PM   #21
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I now have a understanding where Ford Aust maybe heading and where FPV are focussing on.
Two very different approaches.
I wonder what this will mean for the Ute sale's aswell now for Ford Aus??.
Old 20-06-2009, 03:53 PM   #22
seXCmont
EcoBoostin

can someone else just go into their local ford dealer and try and scrape up some info off them to settle this a bit.
seXCmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 03:54 PM   #23
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Russell Christophers was pretty clear that Ford would be using the new V8 going forward. Besides after the success of the G6ET you'd think Ford would be keen on a G8E. I think I read somewhere that they'd already copywrited the name before FG's release.

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...eID=62920&vf=7
R-Design is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 03:54 PM   #24
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stylist
Just out of curiosity, how long ago did you hear this from the first source?

Yeah recently, but very credible.

It will be an equation of return on investment.

I have never thought to ask how the Xr8 was costed but if you take the FG XR8 it has a shared bonnet with every FPV GT and V8 supercar. Ford gets to share costs.

FPV build and have developed the XR8 engine as it is a similar process to their own power plant. More shared costs

We know FPV are continuing on with the engine plant and we just assumed they would lose XR8 volume to a crate application or that whatever FPV will be doing with the GT engine, is not suitable for the XR8 engine.

Anyone of those developments "might" mean that the full development cost of the XR8 can’t be shared as I suspect it has been in the past.

Just because it’s a crate engine doesn't mean its ok to run on our fuel as one example. It starts all over from box one. If volume has fallen to the level where the expense won't pay for itself it could be canned on economic reasons.

That all supposition 100%

Perhaps without DI and running on our fuel it might not meet target power levels. Perhaps we need to sit out 2010. If that is the case I hope they come out and say so, because although these are all sound reasons there are other sound business case situations that will end in a net loss for Ford.

Ford must remember that the GT car is no longer badged as a Ford product and it costs a premium. The XR8 is excellent value for money and keeps the SS honest. Remove it and there is no fallback position other then the red camp. People need a stepping stone up to the premium product but at day’s end I guess in these times the bottom line rules the roost. Just not convinced the true value here can be measured in simple dollars.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 04:06 PM   #25
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Lets be real, no sales man is going to tell you that the new V8 is just around the corner, they want the sale today and that information will not help. The fact that you said you were not thinking of buying today fell on deaf ears. His attitude would have been that you walked in because there was a potential, until proven otherwise. He would have had other instances that he was told the same thing and ended in a sale for him. I know I have done that, not really looking at buying today but I found the right car, in the right colour and at the right price so I bought it. He would have been hoping for that and probably assumed he could interest you in a FG V8 if he could get this idea of the new 8 out of your head and promote the "panic buy".

The worst source of info on the new models coming are the sales department, their focus is sales today, not next year.
Old 20-06-2009, 07:01 PM   #26
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Quote:
No I don't think he was, because as soon as he aproached me I told him I was just killing time and had no intention to buy any vehicle new or old right now, and that I was waiting till the next series which I knew was comming mid 2010.
Then we talked about the new updated version and new colour on the Terri's which was in the showroom, then we got onto the fact that they had a white XR8 there in the showroom and then I mentioned I allready had a V8 and was waiting till the next V8.
He's a Salemen. His Job is to convince you to buy something whether you are there to buy it or not.
You told him you weren't going to buy a new car, and then mentioned you were waiting for the new V8.
If he makes you think there isnt going to be a new V8, then you can't wait for it, and you should buy one while you still can.
Remember a good salesmen will try and sell ice to Eskimos. I think you're being had.
You should have said "Well I guess I'll be buying an SS next year", and seen whether he changed his tune.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 07:24 PM   #27
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In all seriousness, Ford is not about to dump a market they have built very carefully. Not like they did during XF-EA, and we all know how that turned out.
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 07:26 PM   #28
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Lets be real, no sales man is going to tell you that the new V8 is just around the corner, they want the sale today and that information will not help. The fact that you said you were not thinking of buying today fell on deaf ears. His attitude would have been that you walked in because there was a potential, until proven otherwise. He would have had other instances that he was told the same thing and ended in a sale for him. I know I have done that, not really looking at buying today but I found the right car, in the right colour and at the right price so I bought it. He would have been hoping for that and probably assumed he could interest you in a FG V8 if he could get this idea of the new 8 out of your head and promote the "panic buy".

The worst source of info on the new models coming are the sales department, their focus is sales today, not next year.
Spot on.

This thread = LOL.
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 07:36 PM   #29
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

No more XR8?? This is possible??

perhaps the only v8 we will see is the supercharged in the GT...

Whats xr8 sales equate to? 1500 units a year?
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2009, 08:24 PM   #30
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
No more XR8?? This is possible??

perhaps the only v8 we will see is the supercharged in the GT...

Whats xr8 sales equate to? 1500 units a year?

I think XR8 will be absorbed by FPV.

Last edited by mr smith; 20-06-2009 at 08:29 PM.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post