Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-09-2019, 07:40 PM   #1
FordGeezer

Default Ford Falcon Au Bad Stigma?

As the tile says whats the go with the bad stigma with the Au?
I know a few people aren't a fan of the design but is that it?
Is there something mechanical bad about them?
Since getting my Au around 1 year ago I've come across a few younger fellers who have made a few smart remarks when I've said I'm after some parts for an AU,I'm just wondering what the deal is.
FordGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2019, 08:09 PM   #2
Itsme
Experienced Member

Default Re: Ford Falcon Au Bad Stigma?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordGeezer View Post
As the tile says whats the go with the bad stigma with the Au?
I know a few people aren't a fan of the design but is that it?
Is there something mechanical bad about them?
Since getting my Au around 1 year ago I've come across a few younger fellers who have made a few smart remarks when I've said I'm after some parts for an AU,I'm just wondering what the deal is.

The AU model was regarded as an ugly duckling by some when first released but proved to be a very reliable car.
I sure miss the one I owned and for the smart *** comments well obviously they never owned one.

Cheers.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2019, 08:15 PM   #3
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You'll need to register to read this full article, but it is excellent and explains everything.

Basically Holden started the nastiness, with a dealer-only video designed to up-sell the VT Commodore against it's stronger opposition - the AU Falcon.

History shows the AU was indeed a superior car, with styling ahead of it's time. That there are so many still going strong today is testament to this.

https://www.shannons.com.au/club/new...-dirty-tricks/
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2019, 08:20 PM   #4
FordGeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
The AU model was regarded as an ugly duckling by some when first released but proved to be a very reliable car.
I sure miss the one I owned and for the smart *** comments well obviously they never owned one.

Cheers.
G'day
You're right they mustn't of,I've been having a blast with my ute so far easy to tinker around with and pretty well built to.
The comments are gettin old but haha,the last one was in a SCA,I didn't ask for your opinion mate just give me my car parts ya dingo!
Good on ya,Cheers
3 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2019, 08:48 PM   #5
hayseed

Quote:
G'day
You're right they mustn't of,I've been having a blast with my ute so far easy to tinker around with and pretty well built to.
The comments are gettin old but haha,the last one was in a SCA,I didn't ask for your opinion mate just give me my car parts ya dingo!
Good on ya,Cheers

Your Ute would be older than the Kid serving you..........
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2019, 08:55 PM   #6
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Ugly duckling mainly because it was different and a big departure from the EF/EL. Was told through this forum that one of the key designers of the'new edge' AU also had a big hand in the FG . As I have one of each I love that thought .

Will probably be regarded as the most reliable of them all, pretty much bulletproof , easy to fix , great tourer and ironically has aged better than most in the opinion of many .

Re the ugly looks , I'll never agree and how can anybody with a brain think that any of these are ugly.. Quite the opposite in actual fact .

This little vid shows the AU in all her glory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlqUZ6OwKw8 ..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2019, 09:02 PM   #7
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

It was also a vehicle that initially could only be scanned for fault Codes by Ford dealers so this also made it unpopular with both professional and home mechanics.
Old 22-09-2019, 09:07 PM   #8
FordGeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Your Ute would be older than the Kid serving you..........
There's a funny thought.
She's almost as old as me,I'm only 22 myself,and I don't see anything wrong with her.
Each man to his own I suppose,I just like reliability,getting to point A to point B no worries,looks are just a welcome bonus
This user likes this post:
Old 22-09-2019, 09:22 PM   #9
FordGeezer

Yeah aussiblue thought I was initially stuffed when it came to getting a scanner for the Au1 until I found out I could get an Elm327 for $30 things been great!
Not sure if it was just laziness on their part or one of those money making schemes
Old 22-09-2019, 09:26 PM   #10
FordGeezer

Roddy1960...mate...those AUs are beauties!
I personally love the shape of my utes bonnet has this uniqueness about it.
Old 22-09-2019, 09:26 PM   #11
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The ugly looks thing stemmed from the base model Series 1 which had a shocking front grille that did the car no favours. Often it was likened to "Chad Morgan" front teeth but many would not be old enough to know who he was
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2019, 09:31 PM   #12
FordGeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTe342 View Post
The ugly looks thing stemmed from the base model Series 1 which had a shocking front grille that did the car no favours. Often it was likened to "Chad Morgan" front teeth but many would not be old enough to know who he was
Haha I just googled Chad Morgan i see the similarity's ,funny enough my AUs has had its one replaced with a thicker grill design by the previous owner.
Old 22-09-2019, 09:54 PM   #13
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Utes were delivered with the chunkier “crate” grille, it was sometimes sought by sedan owners as a dress-up.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2019, 10:03 PM   #14
FordGeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Utes were delivered with the chunkier “crate” grille, it was sometimes sought by sedan owners as a dress-up.
Aaaa I see,neat,I guess back then if your grill got nicked you new it was someone with a sedan haha
Old 22-09-2019, 10:05 PM   #15
bungarra

Happy with my old girl, 99 XR8 Ute. Clear coat is peeling and roof lining sagging but mechanically, goes well.
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2019, 10:13 PM   #16
FordGeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungarra View Post
Happy with my old girl, 99 XR8 Ute. Clear coat is peeling and roof lining sagging but mechanically, goes well.
Xr8 I'm a little jealous mate,I've just got a plain v6 ohc,I will say shes in really good nick for a 20 year old car interiors pretty perfect besides a patch on the drivers seat and the exteriors still in great condition besides a big dent in the bonnet already got the replacement waiting in the shed but,I'm hopeing if I keep the wax wash up the paint will be in good nick for a while to come
Old 22-09-2019, 10:23 PM   #17
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

If you need anything to put the sarcastic ones in their place have a look in here..............

https://www.fordforums.com.au/forumdisplay.php?f=135
Old 22-09-2019, 10:27 PM   #18
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
...I've just got a plain v6 ohc....
Arrrghhh INLINE 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTe342 View Post
The ugly looks thing stemmed from the base model Series 1 which had a shocking front grille that did the car no favours...
That base model forte waterfall grill that gets all the hate was actually meant to be paying homage to the ever popular XY model Falcon. Probably seemed like a good idea at the time

6 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2019, 10:30 PM   #19
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
Will probably be regarded as the most reliable of them all, pretty much bulletproof , easy to fix ,

Exactly they were the last of the models that had decent running gear that were quality built not the rubbish they started to bring in later models.
I had the FG XR6 model which was a nice vehicle but still thought my AU was better in quality.

Cheers.
Old 22-09-2019, 10:32 PM   #20
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
Arrrghhh INLINE 6

That base model forte waterfall grill that gets all the hate was actually meant to be paying homage to the ever popular XY model Falcon. Probably seemed like a good idea at the time

My model had the egg crate style, I thought it was better looking than the slotted one.
2 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2019, 10:36 PM   #21
FordGeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
Arrrghhh INLINE 6

O shoot I mean Inline 6 shows how little I know only just started getting into the car scene a year ago,I swear Sir I'm getting better hahaha
Heahea imagine being the guys that approved the grill then getting all the backlash would of been a baaaaaad time.
Old 22-09-2019, 10:36 PM   #22
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

I reckon certain models look great
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2019, 10:40 PM   #23
FordGeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
I reckon certain models look great
A fine specimen,I like the rear spoiler
Old 23-09-2019, 09:21 AM   #24
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

What people didn't know was that Ford US was lining Falcon up against Taurus,
FoA was given the job of adapting corporate styling from football shaped Taurus
to our Falcon....They did the best they could and yeah, Steve Park has redeemed
himself with FG Falcon.

With time, the AU doesn't look so controversial now but fleets were worried that
they were going to lose a bomb on poor resales. Ford held strong and after a few
changes to AU II like replacing the chrome waterfall grille for egg crate, sales began
to settle down. It all seems like a storm in a teacup now but the AU saved Falcon from
extinction and replacement by Taurus.

Later DN101 Taurus may have taken some of Falcon's styling to calm down the roundedness

jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 23-09-2019, 10:57 AM   #25
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

XR AU's esp SIII may have been radical in their day, but the down the track result is they actually still look a bit fresh today and are absolute bargains. Good looking with the kit, solid car, and even the 8 can be had for cheap(ish). The winners are those that ignore the stigma and enjoy these, for their day, excellent cars.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-09-2019, 11:10 AM   #26
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford17 View Post
You'll need to register to read this full article, but it is excellent and explains everything.

Basically Holden started the nastiness, with a dealer-only video designed to up-sell the VT Commodore against it's stronger opposition - the AU Falcon.

History shows the AU was indeed a superior car, with styling ahead of it's time. That there are so many still going strong today is testament to this.

https://www.shannons.com.au/club/new...-dirty-tricks/
According to vehicle on road data as of 31/12/2018 there's 93,736 AU Falcons still on the road (AU1 to AU3) in Australia.

VT Commodore - 63,016 + VX Commodore 75,131.

VT-VX Commodore covers the whole AU era - there are a ton more Commodores of the same era on the road still.

Superior? Doubtful, looks like a hat full of assholes and there's 44,000 Commodores more of the same era still on our roads driving about according to VOR data.

The fact so many people are still wheeling about 20 year old cars as daily drivers is worrying.

3.8L mang mang ftw.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 23-09-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2019, 11:28 AM   #27
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
According to vehicle on road data as of 31/12/2018 there's 93,736 AU Falcons still on the road (AU1 to AU3) in Australia.

VT Commodore - 63,016 + VX Commodore 75,131.

VT-VX Commodore covers the whole AU era - there are a ton more Commodores of the same era on the road still.

Superior? Doubtful, looks like a hat full of assholes and there's 44,000 Commodores more of the same era still on our roads driving about according to VOR data.

The fact so many people are still wheeling about 20 year old cars as daily drivers is worrying.

3.8L mang mang ftw.
Compared to how many more commodores were made i would think the AU would have the better survival rate

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 23-09-2019, 11:35 AM   #28
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooDog View Post
Compared to how many more commodores were made i would think the AU would have the better survival rate
What's the difference in production numbers?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2019, 11:39 AM   #29
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
What's the difference in production numbers?
VT and VX approx 510,000
AU 320,000.

Take into account nearly all taxis in that era were AUs most of which by now will have been written off or scrapped.

Nothing wrong with driving an AU or VT as a daily?
More than competent cars even by today’s standards.
No comparison to modern **** boxes half the size especially if open road driving is a must.

Check out AU Falcons doing incredible things on Facebook for a laugh.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2019, 12:01 PM   #30
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Don't leave the Fairlane out of the discussion.

Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post