Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 21-07-2023, 02:01 PM   #1
Webel117
Starter Motor

Angry LX Focus 2006 going into Limp Mode with no DTCs

My Focus had issues in May but they seemed to resolve themselves. Now I have one of them back again. The Focus has done about 1500km without a problem but now I can only drive about 2 km before I get: 'P2110 Throttle Actuator 'A' Control System Forced Limited R.P.M' on the Odometer Strip. If I switch off and check the DTC the P2110 is the only one there, and if I erase it I can drive on. It has done this twice. The issue is with ECU1: ECU2 is always DTC free. I believe the ECUs can be unplugged and re-plugged, but will I lose something critical if I do this to clean the contacts? If that doesn't fix it, can I buy another ECU1 from a wreckers and use that, or does this have to go to a Ford dealer?
Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Webel117; 21-07-2023 at 02:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Webel117 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2023, 10:52 PM   #2
Webel117
Starter Motor

Default Re: LX Focus 2006 going into Limp Mode with no DTCs

Latest results re: Limp Home. For all of July I had the same P2110 results. Every time I needed to drive it the P2110 came up between 2km and 5km and I had to reset it in order to get home. Then I forgot the Diagnostic Unit and got caught at a local shopping Centre. The NRMA Mechanic got it working and suggested it was the Throttle Position Sensor. In my car this is a plastic cover the size of my hand - not the little Banjo-shaped one in the manual - a mere $239 from Ford. Before I went ahead with that, I unplugged it and found that 2 of the 6 female sockets in the plug were making poor contact with the sensor and after tweaking them the engine ran much smoother and 'Limp Mode' has not returned even after 250km driving. From what I can see of it the TPS is not in the Plastic part but in the Throttle Body: the 'Plastic Top' is just a connector with a 6-Pin Plug. Having had a lifetime in Electronics I can say that Digital / Computer circuits operate at low Voltages and currents that are very susceptible to failure through faulty connections sometimes being fixable by 'unplugging and re-plugging' -self-cleaning a couple of times (with Power OFF of course). At the moment I am waiting for a new Plug from U.K. and I hope that this will provide the end of this P2110 and a proper fix.
Webel117 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: