Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-10-2021, 11:59 AM   #3781
slowsnake
Banned

Default Re: Geez! I hate that!

Another pet hate of mine is people who con family and friends to invest money, usually hard earned life savings into non existant schemes and investments!
You get the big names like Bond or Skase but this maggot I am reading about in my morning paper, well he swindled family and friend out of $19 million dollars!....this was over a period of stretching as far back as 2003.

Police have said the whole lot is gone, gambled and partied away on a luxurious lifestyle, he just got released from hospital, the only place he could hide his sorry ***!
He is Joe Papalia aged 71, he was from the South West of WA, and a very well regarded accountant and fine upstanding citizen!

This is the kicker, why I am posting this!
Headline says " Scam accused in bid for Legal Aid "

Oh boy, that's a final kick in the face to all the poor folk he scammed, all decent taxpaying, law abiding, trusting hard workers!

Geez I Hate That....
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2021, 01:01 PM   #3782
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
If I was Richard Simmons, I’d slap you.

I think intolerance is peaking at about 112%.
Oooh, and if I was in Sydney, I might've just taken you up on that offer

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-10-2021, 01:49 PM   #3783
.:4:.
Kicking back

So this one is semi self inflicted. So whilst its been 4½ years since i KO'd the radial nerve in my left arm which left my arm functionless for 6 weeks. So its alot better these days, but sustained vibrations for extended time periods make it play up. So the past 2 days ive spent a number of hours giving my mate next door a hand sorting some stuff out around his mums house. So no issue towards that, i have no issue with a bit of getting **** done. But my left wrist and hand got back to its old tricks. Im left handed so naturally thats my favoured arm. But since yesterday arvo its been lazy. It'll be fine by tomorrow i reckon, and by lazy its a hard one to explain. So, my right arm has always been fine. Brain says do this or that and it does. When my left arm goes lazy it still works, it just brain says do something and it has a sort of delayed reaction. Kind of like its clumsy. So its annoying. So its never more then 48 hours before full dexterity comes back. I have seen docs who looked at my arm when it lost function before about this and they say dont do anything with sustained vibrations and give it time. So kind of annoying as in its advice that recommends prevention but no cure, and prevention is an issue 99% of people do not have an issue with. If it were say an allergy or something then yeah, but its not. Now im jusy ranting so rant over.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-10-2021, 09:12 PM   #3784
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
I hate spilling oil in my driveway, I really have a deep hatred for my own stupidity, and as hard as I try it does not come out, why we're these pavers not sealed properly, how hard is it to seal a porous surface?
Just a suggestion, pull one up and hopefully it'll be the same colour underneath - heard of people doing that before and if you are lucky, you can get concrete sealer from Bunnings to seal it up.

My Gallery Photos Here
XR6WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-10-2021, 10:34 PM   #3785
slowsnake
Banned

That's a good idea, but I think I remember that the top edge is bevelled and the bottom is square, but not sure, I will try pull one out tomorrow and have look.
They really are stained badly, just wonder if it's soaked through!

Good idea, thank you.

Last edited by slowsnake; 09-10-2021 at 10:35 PM. Reason: Autospell
Old 09-10-2021, 10:41 PM   #3786
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
So this one is semi self inflicted. So whilst its been 4½ years since i KO'd the radial nerve in my left arm which left my arm functionless for 6 weeks. So its alot better these days, but sustained vibrations for extended time periods make it play up. So the past 2 days ive spent a number of hours giving my mate next door a hand sorting some stuff out around his mums house. So no issue towards that, i have no issue with a bit of getting **** done. But my left wrist and hand got back to its old tricks. Im left handed so naturally thats my favoured arm. But since yesterday arvo its been lazy. It'll be fine by tomorrow i reckon, and by lazy its a hard one to explain. So, my right arm has always been fine. Brain says do this or that and it does. When my left arm goes lazy it still works, it just brain says do something and it has a sort of delayed reaction. Kind of like its clumsy. So its annoying. So its never more then 48 hours before full dexterity comes back. I have seen docs who looked at my arm when it lost function before about this and they say dont do anything with sustained vibrations and give it time. So kind of annoying as in its advice that recommends prevention but no cure, and prevention is an issue 99% of people do not have an issue with. If it were say an allergy or something then yeah, but its not. Now im jusy ranting so rant over.
I'd go get an MRI of your cervical spine, I have a claw left hand, and it does not do what my brain tells my fingers to do, it's a nightmare, just nerve damage in the exit foramen in spine, my nerves were cut by bone spurs from arthritis when I ruptured my discs!

Did they do nerve conduction tests, etc?
But good luck with it.
Old 10-10-2021, 01:41 AM   #3787
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That's a good idea, but I think I remember that the top edge is bevelled and the bottom is square, but not sure, I will try pull one out tomorrow and have look.
They really are stained badly, just wonder if it's soaked through!

Good idea, thank you.
Yes it is worth a try but as you say some are not the same top & bottom - good luck

My Gallery Photos Here
XR6WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-10-2021, 10:21 AM   #3788
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Persistence is the only fix in these cases. The oil nearest the top must be emulsified and removed, as more creeps up the process is repeated. Solvents should not be used as they carry the oil deeper.

Kenco degreaser is good, diluted with two parts hot water and brushed on. If you can keep it in the shade or cool, it will work better. Caution - it may cause slipperiness. Don’t bother rinsing until you’ve got three or four coats worked in over a couple of days. First rinse is with scalding hot water as this helps lift the remaining oil up.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2021, 10:47 AM   #3789
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Persistence is the only fix in these cases. The oil nearest the top must be emulsified and removed, as more creeps up the process is repeated. Solvents should not be used as they carry the oil deeper.

Kenco degreaser is good, diluted with two parts hot water and brushed on. If you can keep it in the shade or cool, it will work better. Caution - it may cause slipperiness. Don’t bother rinsing until you’ve got three or four coats worked in over a couple of days. First rinse is with scalding hot water as this helps lift the remaining oil up.
So far it's had kitty litter immediately after my stupidity, then boiling water, white vinegar scrubbed in and left for an hour, 2 litres of no name clothes wash, and last night I isolated one paver and tried a mild bleach solution then left an hour then scrubbed vinegar in again and left an hour, this is not like engine oil, this is very different, and a first time for me.

Thanks to all for your advice!
But I will plod on until I get a result, even tried to burn it out on one spot?

PS:- I am actually enjoying being active without killing myself ! And I get to use my redundant brain, lol!

Last edited by slowsnake; 10-10-2021 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Add PS
Old 10-10-2021, 12:34 PM   #3790
Kicking back

Hmmmmm.. i cannot win at the moment. Was ripping my rc car yesterday and its taken some big hits in the past, but yesterday i clipped my fence ever so slightly, as in it copped sidewall by about a poofteenth of an inch. Didnt hit the rim either. But the thing said no. Snapped the left caster block and steering knuckle. So back to online ordering online. Havent inspected if i munted the suspension arms, but i already have a set of arms that extend the track 40mm in the mail anyways.
So once parts arrive the thing will have pretty much built suspension before i even throw gearing or more power at it. So axles, arms, steering rods, steering blocks, front caster blocks and springs (stock shocks but theyre adjustable and not bad bits of kit).
I did check the data log and i brushed the fence at 71kmh and to my shock, the axle on that corner stayed intact. Ive previosly snapped 5 front axles an 2 rears, so any trauma going that fast i was surprised to see the axle in good shape.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2021, 02:42 PM   #3791
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6WGN View Post
Yes it is worth a try but as you say some are not the same top & bottom - good luck
Yep, square on bottom, they must just mould them upside down and just scrape the overburden off, probably all automatic, but the actual surface on bottom of paver is not like the show surface, which looks like a metal trowel finish!
The underside is just rough as bags, but am grateful as usual for your interest, and am using a bleach and soap spray, 3 times with stiff brush in between each spray, am picking select pavers to compare to surrounding untreated pavers, just used my house pressure spray wand, it's pretty impressive for $20 bucks from Bunnings!
Waiting for it to dry, it's under carport in shade.
Old 10-10-2021, 02:54 PM   #3792
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

This (clean spot) was two or three applications of Kenco degreaser brushed on at two hour intervals, then rinsed with a kettle of boiled water. Oil stains completely gone, concrete a good bit cleaner.

Last edited by Citroënbender; 10-10-2021 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-10-2021, 02:56 PM   #3793
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
This (clean spot) was two or three applications of Kenco degreaser brushed on at two hour intervals, then rinsed with a kettle of boiled water. Oil stains completely gone, concrete a good bit cleaner.
Should there be a photo CB?
Old 10-10-2021, 03:04 PM   #3794
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Maybe a painting?

http://www.vladimirtretchikoff.com/g...name=Rainy-Day

Missing image now added.
Old 11-10-2021, 10:00 AM   #3795
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Mmm, I did go to Supercheap yesterday, found the Kenco but 2 types, got prices which were less than last time I looked, they are giving a 6 litre, extra bonus litre, for $29 so cheap, but they had 2 types of the same product!
Normal and Powershift, so go home and check their webpage, the reviews for both products were poles apart, so which are you using CB, that patch you cleaned looks impressive if it old oil you have cleaned up?

But I found a spray can of grey undercoat, automotive, and sprayed a bit of paver, will see how it looks when the sun comes up sometime this week, its very Gray outside, looks like rain too!

Thanks for your help, and compared to car engine oil stains, the trans oil stain is a monster, I thought diesel engine oil was black, I've changed my mind, trans is outback Qld night time inky black!am thinking of designing a paver cleaner, mine are 6 x 6, if I could mark out and develop a .5 mm thick stainless square to round transition to cover paver, and work out a way to put a brush onto a power drill, like a paint stirrer, with an outlet to suck dirty water out and hose fitting to put whatever degreasing agent I like, maybe I can think of something, agitation and pressure would be good, then suck the crap out whilst adding clean liquid!
Old 11-10-2021, 11:36 AM   #3796
slowsnake
Banned

Well I thought stuff it CB, I just ordered 6L Kenco Degreaser and thought well I am not scrubbing anymore, my shoulder is killing me, been on my hands and knees scrubbing and getting nowhere!

So I ordered a Karcher 2 Pressure washer, $154.00 + $28.95 for Kenco!
Had a Karcher before, 1400watt motor and 1750 psi, got to stop this pushing myself physically after surgery, its killing me, so a little bit of Kenco and Karcher may well be " just what the doctor ordered "

So I apply the Kenco every 2 hours CB, no washing in-between applications?
And do I apply and scrub each coat, or just apply 2 hourly?
Old 11-10-2021, 11:45 AM   #3797
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I just use a dustpan brush and one of those rectangular buckets made for a foam squeeze mop. For a larger area a soft-ish broom might be good. Brush the solution in confidently - not scrub - and when the surface is shiny-wet leave it a couple of hours. Shade it if you can (maybe park on top between applications).

You’re wanting to achieve two things - float the oil to the top, and then emulsify it with degreaser. Keeping it shaded helps the solution penetrate before drying.
Old 11-10-2021, 12:00 PM   #3798
slowsnake
Banned

Cool, its in the shade under double carport, the main area would be about 1 square metre, but its obviously a rounded spiculated shape, but I have little spots elsewhere, so my friend if I succeed I may as well do the whole carport area after removing stain, just to normalise it all, the paverss are 12 years old, same age as units, I have lived here 4 years in November, but this black patch sticks out on the light grey/ light charcoal pavers like a dog's left nut!

Still only 8am here, so Supercheap opens in half hour, will take before and after pics just so others here can follow the process and it may help them like you helping me, the way the world should function, eh mate!

Thanks for your guidance in this serious matter, geez sound like I'm talking to a bloody lawyer!..lol.

Last edited by slowsnake; 11-10-2021 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Autospell
Old 12-10-2021, 09:16 AM   #3799
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
I just use a dustpan brush and one of those rectangular buckets made for a foam squeeze mop. For a larger area a soft-ish broom might be good. Brush the solution in confidently - not scrub - and when the surface is shiny-wet leave it a couple of hours. Shade it if you can (maybe park on top between applications).

You’re wanting to achieve two things - float the oil to the top, and then emulsify it with degreaser. Keeping it shaded helps the solution penetrate before drying.
Layer 3 coats yesterday, but the dilution ratio is pretty basic, 20 to 1 or 40 to 1?
Why not use it straight, or do I use it as is or diluted CB, I am trying to get the finish you had on your concrete in photo you put up, I used 10 to 1, am too scared to go out and look!...lol...
Old 12-10-2021, 09:22 AM   #3800
slowsnake
Banned

Well a picture tells a thousand words!.....

PS- just gone back through thread, found your dilution ratio, but going by scale of stain and tile colour could an advantage be gained, time wise by using the Kenco straight, nil dilution!..

Last edited by slowsnake; 12-10-2021 at 09:29 AM.
Old 12-10-2021, 10:12 AM   #3801
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

It’s lifting, slowly. Applying neat is often overkill, 2:1 or 1:1 are more financially suitable.

Considering how much went in there, and how recently, it’s coming up steadily.
2 users like this post:
Old 13-10-2021, 09:46 AM   #3802
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
It’s lifting, slowly. Applying neat is often overkill, 2:1 or 1:1 are more financially suitable.

Considering how much went in there, and how recently, it’s coming up steadily.
Got a 2L ice cream container one 3rd Kenco then water so 2 to 1ratio.
It's bloody stubborn for a new stain, but pavers are not super dense but super cheap and super porous, 2L covers stain, have made 6 mixes and power washed each time, took all day yesterday, but it was watch and wait job, so busy while waiting, will take pic soon to compare to yesterday.
Old 13-10-2021, 09:59 AM   #3803
slowsnake
Banned

Well, 24 hrs later!

image host
Old 13-10-2021, 10:07 AM   #3804
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

It’s lifting. Don’t wash it after each application, though.

I can see the pavers around the spill getting cleaner.
2 users like this post:
Old 13-10-2021, 10:33 AM   #3805
slowsnake
Banned

It is working CB, slowly but surely, right at the bottom of picture the stain has definitely diminished, but its starting to lighten up, well your advice was spot on thank you, I give 2 coats 1 hour apart then power wash, I can see the way its emulsifying as I wash it away, looks like scum from a pan with a chicken boiling in it, lol, it's the only way I can describe it!
Old 13-10-2021, 05:08 PM   #3806
Kicking back

So, the term borrow is incorrect in this instance. Donate is the correct term, as in no repayment will happen. If the question was asked at the start of the conversation I'd be less jazzed about it. So my brother calls me up, we joked about a lot of things that are these days are politically incorect, namely quotes from early episodes of the simpsons and ren and stimpy.
But after that, being asked to spot some cash? Yeah its a no worries, but just be up front and ask. I just do the cardless cash thing where he needs to do the work to find an atm to get said cash, but still, just ask. At times i swear im adopted.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-10-2021, 09:43 PM   #3807
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Old school, late ‘90s car tech. Hopefully I can find the fault and repair it.
Old 15-10-2021, 08:27 AM   #3808
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
Well, 24 hrs later!
It’s been another 24+ hours. Any further improvement?
Old 15-10-2021, 08:43 AM   #3809
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Old school, late ‘90s car tech. Hopefully I can find the fault and repair it.
image image
I think I can see the problem, no cars or pedestrians?.what city is that!
2 users like this post:
Old 15-10-2021, 08:50 AM   #3810
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
It’s been another 24+ hours. Any further improvement?
Will take pic when sun comes up, too early yet, try to do it same time in morning, but I have noticed CB that there is not a micron of sand between pavers, and most of the oil went down in the gaps like a cross-hatch drain?
Have noticed when I pour kenco on I need the broom ready and brush as I pour or it just vanishes!.....lol
Have pic ready in few hours ok, used 3 litres kenco, so 10 to 12 litres mixed, use 2 litres per application, these pavers are old, cheap and very porous, but will persevere!

Last edited by slowsnake; 15-10-2021 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Autospell