Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-10-2021, 10:13 AM   #3751
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Geez! I hate that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
Finding out that my Metric Fairmont has an imperial filler screw on the side of the auto trans, 5/8th?...its all imperial except for this one filler bolt, do you think I had a spanner to fit!...nope, plenty of sockets but cat in the way, very hard to crack a metal bolt/screw, it needs a spanner, so off to Cashies at 9am to buy one spanner, and hope this oil comes out the pavers!
Won’t be 5/8(same size as 16mm)might be 15mm
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-10-2021, 10:16 AM   #3752
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

I thought 16mm (only 4 thou bigger than 5/8” anyhow) so 5/8 should fit (single hex also advantage
And give it a few hits with hammer first
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2021, 10:23 AM   #3753
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

5/8” six point short socket, breaker bar. Or disappointment awaits.

The filler plug has caused many a lot of grief.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2021, 10:53 AM   #3754
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
I thought 16mm (only 4 thou bigger than 5/8” anyhow) so 5/8 should fit (single hex also advantage
And give it a few hits with hammer first
16mm socket and spanner no fit?
Problem is I only have one useful arm, my left hand is what is called in medical circles as a "claw hand" and I am laying on concrete with right side jacked and supported, its definitely 5/8 imperial and last time 2017 I lifted car off ground, all 4 wheels, took photo of my mess, me in big big trouble cleaning these pavers, open to suggestions, degreaser maybe, I pushed car back last night and threw the cats kitty litter on it for an hour, soaked up most of oil, but I dont know what I was thinking?
I know my garden hose " 1 metre long" goes in the radiator! Why did I put it on pipe?...done it before twice for mates, and garden hose fits perfectly into female thread in radiator
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2021, 11:20 AM   #3755
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

The plug is really tight, and its head rounds too easily. You need perfect contact with all six flats and the ability to apply lots of torque.

You only nip it up when refitting. Thermal cycling pulls it tighter.
3 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2021, 11:31 AM   #3756
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
5/8” six point short socket, breaker bar. Or disappointment awaits.

The filler plug has caused many a lot of grief.
The problem is CB that they make the head 3mm thick? Same as the old diff filler nuts, we used to weld a 5/8 whitworth nut on em, makes it so easy to remove, I have all 1/2 drive sockets, breaker bars etc, but I am limited physically and with just how high I can lift the car!
I got a 5/8 hex head socket on it and short breaker bar, but th cat and the rubber hangar is in the way, so if I buy a 5/8 ring spanner I should be right, but being as crippled up as I am with my hands an spine, it's not impossible for me but takes a lot longer, imagine facing your car, bonnet up and you have to use your left hand to get into a tight spot, well I have to turn my back to the car and use my right hand behind my back to get to it!
But I manage, just takes 3 times longer!
Old 04-10-2021, 11:48 AM   #3757
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
The problem is CB that they make the head 3mm thick? Same as the old diff filler nuts, we used to weld a 5/8 whitworth nut on em, makes it so easy to remove, I have all 1/2 drive sockets, breaker bars etc, but I am limited physically and with just how high I can lift the car!
I got a 5/8 hex head socket on it and short breaker bar, but th cat and the rubber hangar is in the way, so if I buy a 5/8 ring spanner I should be right, but being as crippled up as I am with my hands an spine, it's not impossible for me but takes a lot longer, imagine facing your car, bonnet up and you have to use your left hand to get into a tight spot, well I have to turn my back to the car and use my right hand behind my back to get to it!
But I manage, just takes 3 times longer!
As I mentioned… give the plug a few good belts with the hammer first!

Feck it… I’ll mossy around and do it mate!… I should be there soon (border restricts permitting)
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
Old 04-10-2021, 11:55 AM   #3758
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can see where you sat down to rest Billy
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2021, 12:30 PM   #3759
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Finding out that my Metric Fairmont has an imperial filler screw on the side of the auto trans, 5/8th?...its all imperial except for this one filler bolt, do you think I had a spanner to fit!...nope, plenty of sockets but cat in the way, very hard to crack a metal bolt/screw, it needs a spanner, so off to Cashies at 9am to buy one spanner, and hope this oil comes out the pavers!
I'm a little confused here, if you cant undo the filler plug where did the oil in the pic come from?

Please don't tell me you drained it before trying to undo the filler plug.
Old 04-10-2021, 12:51 PM   #3760
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
I'm a little confused here, if you cant undo the filler plug where did the oil in the pic come from?

Please don't tell me you drained it before trying to undo the filler plug.
Top pipe into radiator from trans, always do that, but I seem to be having issues with my thought processes, the female thread on the radiator is a perfect fit for a green garden hose, so you screw hose in thread and run hose to container below, but I stupidly for absolutely reasons unknown to me put hose on pipe, not in female fitting, when I started engine, in park 2 or 3 litres of oil shot out all over the left engine bay, me and the pavers?

Always do it unless I want to do filter change, I dident, only oil, so pump 4 litres out, put pipe back in and get underneath to undo plug, fit garden hose in any have funnel in other end in engine bay, put small ice cream container under fill plug for oil drops and pour 4 litres in, run it for 100 klm then do it again with another 4 litres?....oil changed, should do it 3 times but 8 litres new is ok.

PS- you have to have filler plug in when you start engine!
Gets 4 litres out in 5 minutes.
Old 04-10-2021, 01:00 PM   #3761
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
I can see where you sat down to rest Billy
Lol, I need some humour honestly, well got neighbours car to run up to buy spanner, will get my brazing torch on it too, just heat nut add water to shrink nut, aluminium body still expanding so should loosen easy!

But please humour me I really need it!
Old 04-10-2021, 01:42 PM   #3762
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Lol, I need some humour honestly, well got neighbours car to run up to buy spanner, will get my brazing torch on it too, just heat nut add water to shrink nut, aluminium body still expanding so should loosen easy!

But please humour me I really need it!
I look forward to your next instalment ….
Old 04-10-2021, 01:55 PM   #3763
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I’d think a new o-ring to be in order after that application of heat.
Old 04-10-2021, 02:14 PM   #3764
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
So you thought you were having a bad day?
Supercheap sent me an email, discounted Castrol Trans fluid, TQ95, got 2 x 4 L bottles, $88 bucks, good price, so I decided to get the old stuff out, disconnected top line into radiator, put my oil change container under car to catch drips, but I dont know what I was thinking, I put the drain hose on the damn pipe and not in the threaded female radiator fitting?

Yep, started car and oil just sprayed the engine bay, pavers, windscreen and me!
What a joke, done it twice before and just wasn't thinking straight, must of dropped a good 2 litres everywhere except the container, yes and "Geez I hate that"
Could be much worse. A few months back the sewer vent in my brothers backyard was overflowing. So clogged down the line. So no need to explain the aroma. He didnt want to call the water board as the only way to his backyard is through the house and he didnt want turd covered equipment dragged through his house. So my logic was **** travels down. In the common area beside his place there is an inspection hatch. So he cracks the 1st screw and instantly gets sprayed with high preassure raw sewage. Rank but funny at the same time. So after a shower and burning his clothes, he called the water board and within an hour the response team sorted it out. Id take oil on the driveway anyday over a literal shower of ****.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2021, 03:59 PM   #3765
slowsnake
Banned

Well it's done!...sort of.....its out in driveway running to burn all the oil that run down cat and first muffler, dident damage "o" ring CB, only put about 150°C then got cats water feeding syringe and cooled the steel plug, cracked right out, put it back gently, just like an oil filter!

Just resting my achy body and then Supercheap for some degreaser, bought 2 litres of clothes liquid wash and poured it on stain, brushed it in then hose it off, see what's left to deal with tomorrow when it dries, thanks for all your advice and help!....everyone...

Regards Billy.
3 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2021, 04:49 PM   #3766
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Good result on the plug.

Getting much of the soaked-in oil to float back up is the first challenge, now it’s wet you could use alkaline salts degreaser like Kenco, broomed on several times as a hot solution at 4-6-8PM then hosed and broomed off the next morning. As this cleans the pavers you’ll need to do the whole driveway or wait several months for the clean area to weather.
Old 04-10-2021, 04:58 PM   #3767
slowsnake
Banned

Well it's done!...sort of.....its out in driveway running to burn all the oil that run down cat and first muffler, dident damage "o" ring CB, only put about 150°C then got cats water feeding syringe and cooled the steel plug, cracked right out, put it back gently, just like an oil filter!

Just resting my achy body and then Supercheap for some degreaser, bought 2 litres of clothes liquid wash and poured it on stain, brushed it in then hose it off, see what's left to deal with tomorrow when it dries, thanks for all your advice and help!

Regards Billy.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:15 AM   #3768
slowsnake
Banned

Ended up with Supercheap degreaser, 2 litres $15, just a concentrate, with a 5 to 1 dilution rate, geez for its price it did the job under the car and engine bay, surprised me, but I did it over the oil leak on pavers, waste not want not, moved car and broomed 2 litres of Woolies cheap clothes wash liquid and sprayed with degreaser and broomed that in, waited an hour, then put my pressure wand on hose and away it went, bio degradable drain cleaner!

Will wait a bit, till my body heals, and have another go, and another!
Old 05-10-2021, 11:15 AM   #3769
roKWiz
Cabover nut

When you make a bad call on the days weather prediction.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2021, 12:13 PM   #3770
slowsnake
Banned

Well just took car out to shops, start up and idle a few minutes, took handbrake off before selecting reverse, at first I thought it dident engage?
I just dident feel it, so smooth, back out and select drive, again felt nothing, took off used all 4 gears and it was as smooth as a baby's bum, I did not notice each gear change, wow, what a difference 4 litres of new oil makes, and after 100 klm I change it again, another 4 litres, so 8 litres and not sure if it holds 9 litres or maybe 10.3L, my owners manual says 4L* and at bottom of page * does not include torque converter?
3 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2021, 12:58 PM   #3771
slowsnake
Banned

There is one thing I really hate, having worked hard physically all my life, trying to get ahead by hard work, tertiary education as in night TAFE courses, just to give me an edge over other similarly qualified tradespeople, and I am reading my morning paper, hidden away on page 4 not a front page headline, I see this!

PM sounds out Gladys for Federal seat!

PM Scott Morrison has asked embattled outgoing NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian to run for Tony Abbots old seat of Warringah!
It goes on to say that ScoMo is encouraging her to join his Federal team.

The seat is held now by Olympian Zali Steggall, which was seen as a protest vote?
Until Abbott was overthrown the seat was seen as a Liberal stronghold. Her former boss Mike Baird was touted as another contender for the seat.

Warrigah is held on a margin of 7.2%
Old 05-10-2021, 01:03 PM   #3772
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
There is one thing I really hate, having worked hard physically all my life, trying to get ahead by hard work, tertiary education as in night TAFE courses, just to give me an edge over other similarly qualified tradespeople, and I am reading my morning paper, hidden away on page 4 not a front page headline, I see this!

PM sounds out Gladys for Federal seat!

PM Scott Morrison has asked embattled outgoing NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian to run for Tony Abbots old seat of Warringah!
It goes on to say that ScoMo is encouraging her to join his Federal team.

The seat is held now by Olympian Zali Steggall, which was seen as a protest vote?
Until Abbott was overthrown the seat was seen as a Liberal stronghold. Her former boss Mike Baird was touted as another contender for the seat.

Warrigah is held on a margin of 7.2%
Yep, they might start out with all good intentions but end up all the same.

Maybe Scotty wants to convert her over to his all singing and dancing church.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2021, 10:21 PM   #3773
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Court cases where lawyers say their clients are truly sorry or remorseful or some other dumb brain stupid F comment.
and then the judge accepts that.
There a few lawyers and judges who need a 4x2 wrapped around their heads.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:37 PM   #3774
slowsnake
Banned

People in high positions who think they can get away with crimes against humanity just to keep the family business going and the billions rolling in!
Then go to court and get off with it, never mind a 4x2!
2 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2021, 11:38 AM   #3775
slowsnake
Banned

God botherer's, I hate God botherer's especially those in positions of total power over a State or Territory who are there by " chance or luck " not by being voted in by the taxpayers, God help NSW, I mean that, it will now get back to normal, post covid but in reverse, not forward!
Old 08-10-2021, 01:54 PM   #3776
slowsnake
Banned

Logging in to a forum zand hitting a thread you want and you get a blank page, click back button, blank page??
Must be a ghost in the machine?
Old 08-10-2021, 02:43 PM   #3777
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I am 110% “peopled out” today.
3 users like this post:
Old 08-10-2021, 02:58 PM   #3778
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I am 110% “peopled out” today.
If it's only 110%, then you're just not trying hard enough!

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-10-2021, 04:58 PM   #3779
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
If it's only 110%, then you're just not trying hard enough!
If I was Richard Simmons, I’d slap you.

I think intolerance is peaking at about 112%.
3 users like this post:
Old 09-10-2021, 10:20 AM   #3780
slowsnake
Banned

I hate spilling oil in my driveway, I really have a deep hatred for my own stupidity, and as hard as I try it does not come out, why we're these pavers not sealed properly, how hard is it to seal a porous surface?