Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 07-07-2020, 06:23 PM   #1
creeture3

Default 2006 2.0L swirl flaps removal

HI folks. I am going to remove the swirl flaps from a 2006 Duratech 2.0L

When I do, I will need to block the hole where the shaft goes through the intake manifold from the actuator

My question is: will I need to block off the holes between the inlet runners ???

Thanks
creeture3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2020, 10:02 PM   #2
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: 2006 2.0L swirl flaps removal

Quote:
will I need to block off the holes between the inlet runners
No; just reinstall the vacuum unit and its "O" ring seal. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fJrn9lM3cQ
Old 07-07-2020, 11:04 PM   #3
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

PS while a lot of people suggest epoxying up the holes between each port that risks getting an epoxy plug sucked into the engine destroying it. If you scroll down the comments below the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fJrn9lM3cQ Alan was asked and answered that question too:

Quote:
Jonathan Hamilton: When you remove the flaps do you need to block the holes of the rod in the manifold.

Alan Howatt:
2 months ago
no just refit the flap surrounds and that will do
Also remember there would always have been some leakage around the shaft and flap seals anyway. As I, and Alan, said just make sure the vacuum driven actuator and it's 'O' rings seal is reinstalled so there is no vacuum leak.

Last edited by aussiblue; 07-07-2020 at 11:10 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2020, 12:59 PM   #4
creeture3

Great !! Thanks for the replies. I had a look at the video, but didn't see the comment and answer lower down.

Quote:
that risks getting an epoxy plug sucked into the engine destroying it.
Yeah, that stands to reason.................

Quote:
Also remember there would always have been some leakage around the shaft and flap seals anyway.
I was wondering about that too. Although the leakage probably would be less than if the rod and seals were installed.

I think I will go one of two ways: either simply disconnect the vacuum line and let the flaps just sit there, or, get in and remove them.
creeture3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post