Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-01-2024, 12:31 AM   #421
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: I see Chinese made MGs everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToryMikey View Post
That is true, that said I wouldn't want to be spending my own hard earned money on a vehicle from a manufacturer that as you put it are "still learning". Heck I'm not even convinced the Koreans are there yet. Not to mention the shady government dealings, not a fan of the CCP at all.
Hyundai struggles with the finishing touches, things like throttle response and how it responds to your throttle inputs on the pedal, cruise control implementation not holding speed well up hills, and especially not down hill and some weird bull**** with the in car entertainment system with how the buttons function.

We've got a new i30N in the family and while its way quicker than the Fiesta ST it replaced and uses the same amount of fuel in a car thats 300kg heavier with circa 50KW more power, 400cc larger capacity, its like they've done 90% of the job and the last 10% was half-assed, just the final programming/calibration.

As far as the BTR goes the one in the BA-BF was a piece of ****, there was tonnes of failures with the valve body solenoid shafts rusting because of the oil cooler failures mixing coolant and ATF causing dramas, plus some cost cutting revisions between the E series and BA-BF BTR with the oil pump gears, failures and dramas with Falcons with 150,000km on them toasting boxes, so it wasn't all smooth sailing on a product that had been around for 10 years too long.

Not only that but its ridiculously long first gear, it seriously dulled the performance of any engine it was behind.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 05-01-2024 at 12:36 AM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-01-2024, 12:44 AM   #422
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackney View Post
Same here, I wouldn’t go near a second hand EV.
Thing is buying a second hand ICE you can prioritize a car with service books and can select one that has all essential oils and fluids changed at intervals that you feel comfortable with.

A BEV- a lot of how much life is in the battery is how it was charged (trickle/mid/fast charging), and how it was charged on the go on long drives (ie 100% hot unhealthy charge, or 75% healthy top up) and how hard it was spanked before recharge- ie 2% or run to 30%.

This will be invisible, the only tangible factors readily available to you would be factors like the age of the car and the kms driven. This is only one third of the story of a BEV and probably and ICE as well.

If I go BEV it will be new, but I will always have ICE.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2024, 12:49 AM   #423
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Put a big order in today for parts for MG ZS front end parts and 2 MG 3's 1 front damaged, 1 side damaged we have in to repair and low and behold Everything is EX China, 6 weeks before we can start the jobs, the last MG 3 I ordered a door for I waited 6 weeks and received a LDV Van door, so another 6 week wait for the right door due in next week.

Thinking about buying a few wrecks seeing they don't stock anything local.
prktkljokr is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2024, 07:58 AM   #424
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
Put a big order in today for parts for MG ZS front end parts and 2 MG 3's 1 front damaged, 1 side damaged we have in to repair and low and behold Everything is EX China, 6 weeks before we can start the jobs, the last MG 3 I ordered a door for I waited 6 weeks and received a LDV Van door, so another 6 week wait for the right door due in next week.

Thinking about buying a few wrecks seeing they don't stock anything local.
Just for comparison how long is the wait say for same parts say a Hyundai Tucson or a Ford escape?
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2024, 09:26 PM   #425
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Just for comparison how long is the wait say for same parts say a Hyundai Tucson or a Ford escape?
Hyundai stuff is generally pretty good, ford stuff is not too bad, the fast moving stuff we have to wait for it to come from the east, at least its in the same country.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2024, 11:04 PM   #426
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hyundai stuff is generally pretty good, ford stuff is not too bad, the fast moving stuff we have to wait for it to come from the east, at least its in the same country.
Not related ,but how did the Ranger rebuild job go,Did you get all the electrics working
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2024, 12:40 AM   #427
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Not related ,but how did the Ranger rebuild job go,Did you get all the electrics working
On the back burner at the moment, hoping to get back into it this year, I have found that the 2.2 body harness is different to the 3.2, so I am currently looking for a 3.2 auto harness on the usual platforms, I thought when I started the conversion that is was not going to take me long, but it turns out I miss calculated some things, I had a truck project going before the Ranger that is more important, once its done the Ranger will get some love.
2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2024, 01:47 PM   #428
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
On the back burner at the moment, hoping to get back into it this year, I have found that the 2.2 body harness is different to the 3.2, so I am currently looking for a 3.2 auto harness on the usual platforms, I thought when I started the conversion that is was not going to take me long, but it turns out I miss calculated some things, I had a truck project going before the Ranger that is more important, once its done the Ranger will get some love.
Just gave couple guys a hand to push a mg3 out of a park in a shop centre - sieved gearbox - onto the tilt tray. Reminded the owner is a 7 year warranty
Old 18-01-2024, 05:26 PM   #429
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just gave couple guys a hand to push a mg3 out of a park in a shop centre - sieved gearbox - onto the tilt tray. Reminded the owner is a 7 year warranty
Should have given him the directions to sims scrap metal instead.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2024, 05:29 PM   #430
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
Should have given him the directions to sims scrap metal instead.
He was a bit of a dc.
He bought it second hand dont think he understood the 7 year from new warranty still applies.
Old 07-02-2024, 08:33 PM   #431
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

China has flooded the world with cars. It's hurting everyone.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/the-...06-p5f2o5.html

"When a high-level US trade delegation meets their Chinese counterparts in Beijing this week a key topic will be China’s subsidies and excess industrial capacity. It’s a reasonable assumption that electric vehicles will be somewhere on the agenda.

EVs are an exemplar for how China’s whole-of-state efforts to sustain its dominance of global manufacturing and gain dominance in strategic industries are, with an economy that is misfiring, threatening to flood global markets and threaten industries elsewhere with cheap exports.

China exacerbated what was already a developing strand of global trade tensions last year when, in response to significant problems within its domestic economy, it decided to stimulate its manufacturing sector rather than deploy incentives to stimulate consumption or, as it has traditionally done, to drive activity in property and infrastructure.

That’s led to significant over-capacity in its factories which, given weak domestic demand, has created the threat of cheap exports undermining manufacturing sectors elsewhere.

In EVs, China introduced a new set of subsidies last year to succeed the $88 billion of incentives to buy EVs that were in place, and phasing down, between 2016 and 2022.

The new four-year scheme, which also gradually tails off, exempts vehicles bought this year and next from up to $6500 of sales tax. In 2026 and 2027 the maximum tax exemption reduces to about $3200.

With domestic demand slowing amid a weakening of the global growth in sales of EVs, however, China is confronting a glut of production that is causing alarm in Europe, its key market for EV exports.

Last year, China’s authorities bristled when the European Union announced it would conduct a 13-month investigation into the state subsidisation of China’s EV sector, with the EU’s president, Ursula von der Leyen, saying the global auto industry was being overrun by cheap Chinese EVs with prices kept “artificially low by huge state subsidies.”..."

Our industry didn't stand a chance when we opened up, reduced tarrifs, and everyone else who was much bigger, were die-hard protectionists and mercantilists.
Old 07-02-2024, 09:06 PM   #432
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also from article, now I see the reason for all the landscapes filled with unsold EVs in China that I've been watching on yt - it's a capital misallocation on a huge scale, fostered by a clumsy policy incentive:

"China is responding to the over-capacity within its EV manufacturing sector by vowing to take “forceful measures” to deal with the establishment of new EV projects by local government authorities and enterprises.

Rounds of price cutting within the domestic market last year and the weaker demand offshore (where margins are much more attractive than those in the domestic market) might by themselves help force some less efficient capacity to exit the market.

China has hundreds of EV manufacturers. It seems like almost every large industrial group added an EV subsidiary – even China Evergrande created one – to take advantage of the generous incentives that were on offer from the federal and local governments.

For many of the companies their primary interest was in the tax credits, not sales of EVs, which explains the thousands of earlier model EVs decaying unsold in vast lots in the fringes of China’s major industrial cities."
Old 07-02-2024, 10:07 PM   #433
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Who could have known this would occur.......................

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2024, 07:54 PM   #434
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Obviously got more poke than we might have credited them with.

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/n...bWwmYWxsPTE%3D

Dual fuel model; it runs on petrol and meth.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2024, 03:46 PM   #435
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

How are these for repairability?

As in, are they accurately built, do MG have factory guides for sectional repair, is any cold working allowable? What about seams and corrosion protection?
Old 14-03-2024, 09:59 PM   #436
bingoTE50
Steve

I am contributing ,sorry ,bought a MG5 Turbo . I come out of retirement to work again ,needed something cheap but reasonable to drive.When I retire again I will just take what a dealer will give me . Have a car allowance so not really concerned .
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2024, 10:03 PM   #437
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mg 5 ?
A one star safety rating.
2 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2024, 10:11 PM   #438
chinamonty

Quote:
Mg 5 ?
A one star safety rating.

is my AU wagon any better?
chinamonty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2024, 10:18 PM   #439
bingoTE50
Steve

Lol I think it has 0 Ancap . My 83 Alfa has nothing , but I'm not dead yet ...
bingoTE50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2024, 10:52 PM   #440
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Better to compare mg 5 to 2024 cars not cars from a different era
Old 14-03-2024, 10:55 PM   #441
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

We all know ANCAP ratings are complete bullshit anyway and politicized, its fake news.
Old 14-03-2024, 10:59 PM   #442
MrZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interestingly the Falcon AU was only given a 3 star safety rating back in 2000: https://www.ancap.com.au/safety-rati.../falcon/f9c897

That's pretty shocking, I'm surprised there wasn't a fuss made about this at the time?
MrZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2024, 11:01 PM   #443
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

As Cav likes to remind people, they got the chicks - so the indifferent safety aspect was overruled by street cred.
Old 14-03-2024, 11:06 PM   #444
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrZ View Post
Interestingly the Falcon AU was only given a 3 star safety rating back in 2000: https://www.ancap.com.au/safety-rati.../falcon/f9c897

That's pretty shocking, I'm surprised there wasn't a fuss made about this at the time?
I think the AU Falcon copped enough of a flogging to be honest
2 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2024, 11:20 PM   #445
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
How are these for repairability?

As in, are they accurately built, do MG have factory guides for sectional repair, is any cold working allowable? What about seams and corrosion protection?
I thought the Chinese company bought just the name.If this is the case there won’t be any British input,not that the British built cars are even in the same league as the good Japanese and Korean names
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2024, 08:08 AM   #446
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
We all know ANCAP ratings are complete bullshit anyway and politicized, its fake news.
Did you read the safety review of MG5?
Its got structural weaknesses.
Old 15-03-2024, 08:38 AM   #447
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
I thought the Chinese company bought just the name.If this is the case there won’t be any British input,not that the British built cars are even in the same league as the good Japanese and Korean names

yeah they bought the name .... which was smart .. as then most people go - ohh MG .. that's british and been around for years
mad2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2024, 08:47 AM   #448
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

…Just like Keith Richards!
2 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2024, 03:25 PM   #449
chinamonty

No they still have a design group in England at Longbridge.MG Motors (UK).
chinamonty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post