Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-11-2019, 08:01 AM   #61
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Told to drive in 'Power' mode?

Power mode changes shift points, torque converter lockup and most importantly increases line pressure. The higher line pressure gives you firmer and faster shifts which reduces wear in the clutch pack
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2019, 08:20 AM   #62
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old thread but just out of interest my EF Owners Handbook clearly said to tow in Economy Mode which is the opposite to what I would do if I didn't read it.
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-01-2020, 06:09 PM   #63
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i always drive in power. if i wanted economy i'd buy a prius
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2020, 09:39 PM   #64
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
Old thread but just out of interest my EF Owners Handbook clearly said to tow in Economy Mode which is the opposite to what I would do if I didn't read it.
Yes. I've read many threads about towing especially. Tow in 4th and you'll burn out the transmission. There's actually a good video on YouTube of a guy towing a car on a car trailer up a mountain range in Queensland with a BA Falcon Wagon.

I know in hilly country my transmission hunts around between 3rd and 4th at around 90km.... it's annoying so now I leave it in 3rd until I get over the range.

Anyone who has driven out of the city of adelaide up those hills at 100km knows what I've talking about.

I've had the fluid changed twice and it looks reasonably clean. I'll change it myself again mid year.

IMPCO LPG Vapour Injection.

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
Collonite #845 Insulator Wax
Bowden's Own Happy Ending & Fully Slick
Chemtech CT-18 Truck Wash (Wheels & Chassis)
Bowden's Own Wheely Clean & Tyre Sheen
Bowden's Own Three Way Paint Decontamination Spray

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Full Synthetic 10w-40
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

My Instagram Account: @ba_falcon2003
BA-XT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2020, 11:33 PM   #65
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA-XT View Post
Yes. I've read many threads about towing especially. Tow in 4th and you'll burn out the transmission. There's actually a good video on YouTube of a guy towing a car on a car trailer up a mountain range in Queensland with a BA Falcon Wagon.

I know in hilly country my transmission hunts around between 3rd and 4th at around 90km.... it's annoying so now I leave it in 3rd until I get over the range.

Anyone who has driven out of the city of adelaide up those hills at 100km knows what I've talking about.

I've had the fluid changed twice and it looks reasonably clean. I'll change it myself again mid year.
I drove up the South Eastern Freeway out of Adelaide in December with my camper behind the Territory, 3 adults and a child and just left it in drive, it changed down to 3rd just passed the tunnels and stayed in 3rd @ 90km/hr until I hit the top.
When I reached the top the temp light and 'D' indicator started flashing and the trans wouldn't change up, the engine temp was normal, after about 10 minutes it changed up and was fine, stopped at Tailem Bend and everything appeared normal.
On the way home we saw temps around 49* by the time we reached Tailem Bend, the engine temp gauge rose from the 1/3 it usually sits at to just a whisker under 1/2 and the trans would change back to 3rd and wouldn't go up again no matter what until the engine temp dropped, did this a few times between Kingston and Milang.
The 'D' didn't flash on this occasion, just locked out 4th.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2020, 08:55 AM   #66
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I was told to not drive it in just one mode all the time is all. My AU ll has it of course so every so often I'll furn off economy , like the other day last time .
Probably 80% of the time she's in economy though because it's just that little bit more gentle on the shifts .
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2020, 11:36 AM   #67
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I drove up the South Eastern Freeway out of Adelaide in December with my camper behind the Territory, 3 adults and a child and just left it in drive, it changed down to 3rd just passed the tunnels and stayed in 3rd @ 90km/hr until I hit the top.
When I reached the top the temp light and 'D' indicator started flashing and the trans wouldn't change up, the engine temp was normal, after about 10 minutes it changed up and was fine, stopped at Tailem Bend and everything appeared normal.
On the way home we saw temps around 49* by the time we reached Tailem Bend, the engine temp gauge rose from the 1/3 it usually sits at to just a whisker under 1/2 and the trans would change back to 3rd and wouldn't go up again no matter what until the engine temp dropped, did this a few times between Kingston and Milang.

I have a diesel AWD Territory and I tow a 2tonne caravan in D at 100kms/h using cruise control.

I drive on mostly flat country. I used to tow in 5th, but now I let the computer take over and just leave it in D.

I used to flick the cruise off on hills and accelerate up a bit, but unless it is really steep I leave the cruise on and the transmission changes back 2 gears, the revs pick up and maybe the speed will drop to 90, but the engine doesn't rev its head off and once on the top of the hill it changes back into top.

I drive it fairly sedately and often after leaving the town limits I head up to 100 and engage cruise (or reengage) it may be a kilometre or so before it drops into top.

The car has done 100,000kms with no issues and I recently had the transmission serviced.
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2020, 11:51 AM   #68
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
While almostly completely likely the transmission was protecting itself as it neared it's maxiumum heat load under the conditions you were in I'd also just check your battery for charge.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2020, 12:36 PM   #69
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
While almostly completely likely the transmission was protecting itself as it neared it's maxiumum heat load under the conditions you were in I'd also just check your battery for charge.
Bingo, battery was cooked, been like it for a while but it's still hanging in just, if I don't start it for 2 days it's noticeable, will only just turn over.
Trans has an air/oil cooler with the exchanger deleted.
I'm kinda half hoping the trans goes bang, local mob does drive in drive out ZF conversions for 2.5k.

Last edited by BENT_8; 12-01-2020 at 12:47 PM.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2020, 08:41 PM   #70
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

Quote:
Bingo, battery was cooked, been like it for a while but it's still hanging in just, if I don't start it for 2 days it's noticeable, will only just turn over.
Trans has an air/oil cooler with the exchanger deleted.
I'm kinda half hoping the trans goes bang, local mob does drive in drive out ZF conversions for 2.5k.
I take it for that price it'll be a second hand unit? Always thought that even from the Barra 182 the 4 speed box was too primitive for the engine.

IMPCO LPG Vapour Injection.

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
Collonite #845 Insulator Wax
Bowden's Own Happy Ending & Fully Slick
Chemtech CT-18 Truck Wash (Wheels & Chassis)
Bowden's Own Wheely Clean & Tyre Sheen
Bowden's Own Three Way Paint Decontamination Spray

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Full Synthetic 10w-40
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

My Instagram Account: @ba_falcon2003
BA-XT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2020, 09:11 PM   #71
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
I have a diesel AWD Territory and I tow a 2tonne caravan in D at 100kms/h using cruise control.

I drive on mostly flat country. I used to tow in 5th, but now I let the computer take over and just leave it in D.

I used to flick the cruise off on hills and accelerate up a bit, but unless it is really steep I leave the cruise on and the transmission changes back 2 gears, the revs pick up and maybe the speed will drop to 90, but the engine doesn't rev its head off and once on the top of the hill it changes back into top.

I drive it fairly sedately and often after leaving the town limits I head up to 100 and engage cruise (or reengage) it may be a kilometre or so before it drops into top.

The car has done 100,000kms with no issues and I recently had the transmission serviced.
I tow exactly the same way. D and go.

I have no overheating issues.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post