Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 10-04-2020, 06:03 AM   #1
krawczuk

Default 2011 . 2.0 diesel cambelt tensioner moved after setting.

just noticed something a little weird after doing the cambelt on 2011 , 2.0 diesel, i definately set the cambelt tensioner with the pointer in the middle of the slot , but after rotating the engine to make sure everything ok , i noticed the pointer has moved ,. is this normal. ?
engine runs fine..
krawczuk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2020, 05:29 PM   #2
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2011 . 2.0 diesel cambelt tensioner moved after setting.

Question is: How far out is too far?
If the poiner is not on the line but still within the cutout for example, is that OK?
I don't know.

The engine may run fine but if the belt tension is out far enough I guess the life of the belt may be shortened.

Maybe check the pointer position and re tension as necessary. Ask whether it is essential that the crankshaft bolt should be loosened to allow the tension to balance on both sides of the cam/crank sprockets.

I found the newly installed tensioner pointer on one of mine moved up and down a bit within the cutout while rotating the engine, regardless of number of turns.

After doing my two cars I felt I was stress tested enough to do another one, but in ten years I'll have forgotten how to do it anyway.

Tensioning the belt is one of the finer points I reckon.

Wouldn't be such a big deal if the crank bolt wasn't so enthusiastically locktited and has to be replaced with a new one after removing.

I think the best way is to temporarily use the old bolt to turn the engine and set the tension
as many times as required, then put the new bolt in when it's settled down.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2020, 09:26 PM   #3
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Default Re: 2011 . 2.0 diesel cambelt tensioner moved after setting.

it's normal, there's a range it works within if it's within that, then you're good. It runs fine so its satisfactory anyway.