Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-06-2020, 06:36 AM   #91
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Australia - China - Poltics

And China has issued a travel advisory for Australia. Are they taking the ****?

Quote:
There has been an alarming increase recently in acts of racial discrimination and violence against Chinese and Asians in Australia, due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
I'll give you the big tip. Most Aussies don't hate Chinese, they hate the CPP you ****s.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2020, 07:23 AM   #92
ad2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
And China has issued a travel advisory for Australia. Are they taking the ****?

I'll give you the big tip. Most Aussies don't hate Chinese, they hate the CPP you ****s.
Well, we're not surprised, are we(?) China keeping the pressure on Australia for stepping out of line over the Covid-19 outbreak. At least they are consistent.
ad2013 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2020, 07:48 AM   #93
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad2013 View Post
Well, we're not surprised, are we(?) China keeping the pressure on Australia for stepping out of line over the Covid-19 outbreak. At least they are consistent.
I feel there is some internal politics going on within China. They are coming out especially hard on Australia. And the rest of the world on many geopolitical fronts.

Stay the course. If we are ****ing them off we must be doing something right. If they had their house in order the rest of the world wouldn't even have a Covid-19 problem at all
3 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2020, 10:45 AM   #94
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Watch the video in its entirety - China from someone who has lived in China for years speaks the language, trained their medics

We have first-hand indisputable evidence of bags full of CCP money being given to some of our corrupt Australian politicians.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj_pcpN9iL4

A colleague is now receiving angry emails from a Chinese supplier demanding that he purchase Chinese made Irrigation Pumps. I suggested he reply with ... 去他妈的你自己
It's unfortunate that Winston and his family was essentially run out of China by constant threats of harm and death towards himself and his Chinese family.

He now lives in the US.

He started off with the positives of China when he first started, then started to report on the problems and negatives.

He was the very victim of much of what he reported is wrong with China. Of course, many Chinese said he was very wrong while many more Chinese were openly hunting him down with the purpose of harming or killing him.

All openly publicised online for all to see....

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-06-2020, 03:40 PM   #95
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
I feel there is some internal politics going on within China. They are coming out especially hard on Australia. And the rest of the world on many geopolitical fronts.

Stay the course. If we are ****ing them off we must be doing something right. If they had their house in order the rest of the world wouldn't even have a Covid-19 problem at all

wtf ... how many world leaders listened to what was going on & made appropriate decisions with regards to travellers of any country entering another?. the two biggest faaarkups that spring to mind are the UK [herd immunity 1st off so no testing of travellers etc] then they had panic stations when their prime minister finally fully understood what was going to happen. & USA [again similarish to uk] blocked chinese nationals [china up in arms? as well as WHO] again no testing of any incoming people, then very slow responding to the pandemic [except el presidenta saying it will blow over!]. so now USA has 100,000 odd dead [with a president who gives not one iota] etc etc

then Aus letting the Ruby Rose [& others] enter australian ports without proper procedure to disembark it's passengers!! some without proper testing

china fumbled yes in more ways than one because of their parties views/controls [main was censoring their own doctors reporting problems] . but the rest of the world knew something was coming .... and did little to control the spread.

my understanding
mad2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-06-2020, 04:02 PM   #96
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Does this mean I won't be receiving anymore spam emails from Chinese quarries insisting I buy containers of granite ?

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2020, 07:29 PM   #97
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Does this mean I won't be receiving anymore spam emails from Chinese quarries insisting I buy containers of granite ?

I received a recorded voicemail in mandarin 2 days ago. No idea what it said, but they gave a phone number at the end. I assume its some sort of scam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad2
but the rest of the world knew something was coming
Some earlier than others. Israel have stated they were warned by US intelligence back in November......November!! Which begs the question, why didn't our best mate warn us? Why were the 5 eyes kept in the dark.....or were we?
https://www.i24news.tv/en/news/israe...19-in-november

Last edited by T3rminator; 06-06-2020 at 07:44 PM.
T3rminator is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2020, 07:34 PM   #98
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad2 View Post
wtf ... how many world leaders listened to what was going on & made appropriate decisions with regards to travellers of any country entering another?. the two biggest faaarkups that spring to mind are the UK [herd immunity 1st off so no testing of travellers etc] then they had panic stations when their prime minister finally fully understood what was going to happen. & USA [again similarish to uk] blocked chinese nationals [china up in arms? as well as WHO] again no testing of any incoming people, then very slow responding to the pandemic [except el presidenta saying it will blow over!]. so now USA has 100,000 odd dead [with a president who gives not one iota] etc etc

then Aus letting the Ruby Rose [& others] enter australian ports without proper procedure to disembark it's passengers!! some without proper testing

china fumbled yes in more ways than one because of their parties views/controls [main was censoring their own doctors reporting problems] . but the rest of the world knew something was coming .... and did little to control the spread.

my understanding
The chinese locked off wuhan, but happily let foreigners leave to spread the virus. They did not give a stuff if it spread. They have hundreds of thousands of deaths on their hands.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2020, 07:43 PM   #99
PhilT2

[QUOTE=T3rminator;6450261] I received a recorded voicemail in mandarin 2 days ago. No idea what it said, but they gave a phone number at the end. I assume its some sort of scam./QUOTE]

Been around a while that one. Chinese lady was telling you (in chinese) that you owe tax and if you pay now by credit card you can avoid jail. Because it has been going a while I assume it must be working often enough to be profitable.
PhilT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2020, 09:30 AM   #100
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I'm not a massive fan of our current mob in Canberra but I appreciate now how they've handled co-ordinating the States handling of the pandemic to date evidenced by the really low fatalities . Helps too with a bit of bi-partisan support through it all ..

The new tougher foreign takeover rules for me is "it's about time " . I hope that this flows into trade as well and we take a more pragmatic look at how we trade with China as a part of that ....if it ever happens .

I reckon that when the day comes that our mineral resources are exhausted which makes up a big chunk of our trade with China , without safeguards for other trade resources they'll wipe us like a dirty bum .

Given the threat from them with big tariffs on barley and other produce we are already finding vunerable we are trading with an angry China mostly on the back of supporting an investigation into the virus outbreak .

it's probably time we show them we have a few teeth too and will not be bullied into agreeing with them on everything . After all it's still our country and not China's or anybody else's yet .
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2020, 09:45 AM   #101
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Australia and India have signed the "mutual logistic support agreement". As far I know in practical terms it means mutual access to each others bases.

China won't be happy about that at all but they can get ****ed. We're all sick of their BS. Upgrade the Indian military with the latest US metal and they would **** themselves
RHD market too - might be interested in our Bushmaster and Hawkei 🤔
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2020, 06:06 PM   #102
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well it looks like our chinese friends are feeling a bit neglected with all the media attention turning to the US riots. More"warnings"...

https://www.news.com.au/finance/econ...1da689f8358026

The uncomfortable truth is that the chinese government has previously actively promoted Australia as a destination for tourism. With that cut off, and potential international students, its going to hurt a bit.

Also looks like the US has gone full retard on Germany with them not towing their line. Germany is set to take on the presidency of the EU in July. Dumb move at a time when you need more allies. Alarm bells has to be ringing, especially when fellow NATO members were not consulted.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...draw-us-troops

Finally, did anyone listen to Collin Powell's full interview? A bit of it was spent on the China strategy. Interesting take. He said China should not be seen as their enemy, but they are a very big "problem". Same with Russia, Iran and North Korea. (funny, he said something about a group in Africa being the "enemy"). But he is concerned that the current administration will turn China into an enemy. He said during his time, they always had strong disagreements with China, but he could always pick up the phone and respectfully voice their views. Hmmmmmm What does this have to do with Australia? If you read all the media coverage in the last 3 months, and all the narrative from our pollies, it very much looks like we are portraying them as the enemy. They weren't even taking phone calls at one stage. Interesting times.
Old 09-06-2020, 06:21 PM   #103
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
China tells students to avoid studying in Australia
China has released a new warning to its residents about Australia, as tensions continue to rise between Beijing and Canberra.

Natalie Brown

China’s education ministry has warned Chinese students to consider whether to study in Australia, amid escalating tensions between Beijing and Canberra.

The Ministry warned that there have been multiple cases of racial incidents targeting Asians in Australia amid the COVID-19 epidemic.

“Multiple discriminatory events against Asians happened in Australia during the epidemic outbreak,” the Ministry said in a statement published to its website today.

It urged students studying overseas to make a thorough risk assessment and to be “cautious” when choosing Australia as a destination.

The warning follows the issuing of a travel warning to Australia for Chinese tourists on Friday.

A spokeswoman for China’s minister of culture, Hua Chunying, defended the call at a press conference yesterday, accusing Australian politicians of “ignoring rampant racist abuse”.

“For example, some Australian politicians and media called the coronavirus a ‘Chinese virus’ and maliciously tampered with the Chinese national flag and national emblem,” she is quoted as saying in government-controlled publication The Global Times.

“Many overseas Chinese in Australia have been verbally insulted or even attacked, (and) the property of some Chinese and other Asian families was destroyed and they suffered unfair treatment in their daily work.”

A University of Queensland student reportedly told The Global Times she received online and in-person abuse on campus recently.

“Anti-China news has been frequently seen on TV. We now choose to stay at home, and when I have to go outside and wear a mask, I avoid white people in case anything happens,” she said.

More than one third of all international university students in Australia come from China, with universities facing a shortfall of more than $12 billion in Chinese student fees if Beijing maintains its travel ban on Australia next year.

A spokeswoman for Australia’s Group of Eight – a coalition of the nation’s eight top-ranked universities – told 7 News while the China travel alert did not specifically refer to Chinese students coming to Australia, they were seeking further advice from the Chinese embassy.

“(We are) absolutely committed to our Chinese students and to maintaining a positive and collaborative relationship with China, and we look forward to being able to welcome them back to our campuses as soon as the health advice indicates that we can,” she said.

Last month, the Australian Human Rights Commission (AHRC) reported that one in four people who lodged racial discrimination complaints in the past two months were targeted because of COVID-19.

Yet Trade and Tourism Minister Simon Birmingham rejected the Chinese Ministry of Culture and Tourism’s travel alert in a statement on Friday, calling Australia “the most successful multicultural and migrant society in the world”.

“The Chinese Australian community is a significant and valued contributor to that success story,” he said.

“Millions of tourists from all corners of the world demonstrate their confidence in Australia as a safe, welcoming and amazing destination by visiting each year, often returning multiple times.

“We reject China’s assertions in this statement, which have no basis in fact. Our rejection of these claims, which have been falsely made by Chinese officials previously, is well known to them.”

– With wires
https://www.news.com.au/finance/econ...77fb13a2184b3a

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2020, 06:54 PM   #104
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Good - hopefully universities have to make money from something other than Chinese students for once.
6 users like this post:
Old 09-06-2020, 07:25 PM   #105
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Good - hopefully universities have to make money from something other than Chinese students for once.
China is recruiting our teachers. Not just from Australia either, but also US and UK. In the last 12 months I've had two mates (white aussies) in the teaching industry migrate over there (pre-pandemic) because the opportunities were better. There are approx half a million foreign teachers alone living in China. They always play the long game. They don't have to "steal" our IP, they just invite them over.

"Good" you say...who is going to fill the gap in this $19b sector? How is this in Australia's best interest? Do you think universities are holding these places just for the Chinese, and that Indians will start flooding in? Work out how much it costs foreigners to come study here and you'll know why India won't fill the gap. So, what does (or did) Australia get out of this?
Old 10-06-2020, 07:11 AM   #106
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
China is recruiting our teachers. Not just from Australia either, but also US and UK. In the last 12 months I've had two mates (white aussies) in the teaching industry migrate over there (pre-pandemic) because the opportunities were better. There are approx half a million foreign teachers alone living in China. They always play the long game. They don't have to "steal" our IP, they just invite them over.

"Good" you say...who is going to fill the gap in this $19b sector? How is this in Australia's best interest? Do you think universities are holding these places just for the Chinese, and that Indians will start flooding in? Work out how much it costs foreigners to come study here and you'll know why India won't fill the gap. So, what does (or did) Australia get out of this?
Good experienced uni lecturers leaving the country :(
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2020, 08:27 AM   #107
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

I would encourage that China recruits as many Aussie SJW, left-leaning, anti-establishment, tree-hugging uni-lecturers as is possible, and have them relocated into China.

These inspirational people can then brain-wash the Chinese youngsters and subvert the CCP.

The only downside is that we'd have about a short-term 99% vacancy in Aussie lecturers.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 10-06-2020, 11:41 AM   #108
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
I would encourage that China recruits as many Aussie SJW, left-leaning, anti-establishment, tree-hugging uni-lecturers as is possible, and have them relocated into China.

These inspirational people can then brain-wash the Chinese youngsters and subvert the CCP.

The only downside is that we'd have about a short-term 99% vacancy in Aussie lecturers.
Gold

Seriously, the less Chinese students we have here stealing IP and going back to their CCP masters to further their cause, the better.
4 users like this post:
Old 10-07-2020, 11:15 PM   #109
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's been a while but there has been a couple of developments the last couple of days. Extending visas for HK and ripping up the the extradition treaty with HK.

I agree with both. But of course China is ****ed off. We will be punished!

What gets me is they are arguing breaches of international law against us which may well be true for all I know.

But these are the same dickheads who were beat on the South China Sea and didn't give a **** about it so it seems a joke.

They have no allies of any weight, so let's keep on going.

I like that we kept our spine so far. Which actually surprises me
Old 10-07-2020, 11:49 PM   #110
nstg8a

Breaches of international law won’t worry scomo. Australia has pretty good form at ignoring international law when it suits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2020, 12:14 AM   #111
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Breaches of international law won’t worry scomo. Australia has pretty good form at ignoring international law when it suits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not saying we don't, it's just a laugh when the CCP fall back on that considering the whole SCS situation when it was ruled they have no legitimate claim.

If **** goes hot, those islands will be the first to be obliterated.

The CCP are ****ing the world off and at some point a line has to be drawn in the sand.
Old 11-07-2020, 07:56 AM   #112
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Funny you say they have allies with no weight, yet they are accused of running the UN and WHO.

Who did the world rely on to tame North Korea when they were getting a bit out of control?

Students stealing IP? How? They come to learn what we teach. If our unis are giving away IP then we have bigger probs. Aussie students studying overseas then coming back to apply their skills.... Is that stealing IP too? My guess is that IP theft is mainly done through reverse engineering, not at uni.

Have a look at John Pilgers documentary called The Coming War On China. That might open your eyes on why they are doing what they are doing in the scs. Every action has a reaction.
Also, the biggest builders of island in scs isn't China. But you don't hear about the other mob do you? That mob has terrorists that go over to nearby countries, kidnap their citizens, and kill them if ransoms are not met, over and over again, but you don't hear about they do you? I come from one of those countries and I would gladly have Chinese military presence to deter such behaviour, even if it is not the intended objective.

All I know is that in 2018, we had a good trading partner. We didn't always see eye to eye but there was at least some level of respect, even after what Turnbull had done with Huawei. In 2019, our puppet master started an economic and technological war, and overnight we made China our enemy.

Follow the money trail. Obsolete submarines that was going to cost $80b has blown out to $240b. On top of that we are going to spend $260b to point some missiles at our largest trading partner. This is the kind of policy spending that crippled the US social system. Good luck to our kids and grandkids.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:49 AM   #113
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do you mind sharing who the biggest island builder in SCS is.

Last edited by five 7; 11-07-2020 at 08:56 AM.
five 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2020, 09:27 AM   #114
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I believe the Philipines. There is website tracking the islands in that area. Yes China is building big ones, but by number the phillipinee has the most. Not sure if that includes dredging though.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:50 AM   #115
nstg8a

China’s over reach is far greater than just the disputed south China seas... the bri is their purpose built strategy to dominate lesser economies, and gain leverage all over the world.

We have maybe 10-15 years to go before China is militarily able to go toe to toe with the west.

It’s gonna get real if we get to that stage.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2020, 10:44 AM   #116
Bossxr8
Peter Car

What’s with the chinese apologist? No clue at all.

Over 1 million chinese muslims in internment camps, with stories coming out of torture, rape and forced sterilisation. Basically genocide. Of course the UN turns a blind eye.
Old 11-07-2020, 10:49 AM   #117
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'd welcome HK refugees into Melbourne in large numbers:

A) They tend to be educated
B) They share Western values
C) They mostly speak English
D) They hate Beijing/CCP

Rather have a tonne of Hong Kongers over Sudos/Somalis any day of the week.

If you're going to take in refugees, Hong Kongers are the perfect fit for our society.
7 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2020, 10:55 AM   #118
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I'd welcome HK refugees into Melbourne in large numbers:

A) They tend to be educated
B) They share Western values
C) They mostly speak English
D) They hate Beijing/CCP

Rather have a tonne of Hong Kongers over Sudos/Somalis any day of the week.

If you're going to take in refugees, Hong Kongers are the perfect fit for our society.
UK offering citizenship to the hong kong people. Good move.

I’d love to know if the uk/china handover agreement had any type of enforcement/penalty for not following the rules of the deal? Could the UK ever take hong back because china shat all over the rules of the agreement?
2 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2020, 11:55 AM   #119
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
UK offering citizenship to the hong kong people. Good move.

I’d love to know if the uk/china handover agreement had any type of enforcement/penalty for not following the rules of the deal? Could the UK ever take hong back because china shat all over the rules of the agreement?
UK doesn't have the gonads to do so, I doubt any other government would do so either.
Old 11-07-2020, 12:00 PM   #120
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like to look at both sides, so if that makes me an apologist then so be it.

BRI - Australia like to slag it off but won't shut the door in participating in other countries BRI mmmmm. Where is the credibility? There are probably hundreds (maybe thousands?) of projects going on, 120+ countries have signed up, a handful have gone sour. The Sri Lankan port is one that gets brought up over and over again. Yes they made a bad deal and they had to pay for it. Either default on your loan or strike another deal. Up to you. Each country decides whether projects are in their best interest. A bit arrogant for us to judge other nation's decisions. Yes a lot of those countries that have signed up are not "well off"...you gotta ask why...then ask why they are signing up. I know its a wild theory, but maybe they think its for the benefit of their country. They are not pointing missiles or imposing sanctions at those countries forcing them to sign.

HK - In March there were something like 27 applications to Australia. In April there were something like 15. Numbers likely to grow given the Scomo's recent announcement, but don't expect millions. According to a relative living in HK, the protestors are young adults who have felt neglected by the government for a long long time. It was brewing and the extradition law proposal tipped it off....with a bit of outside encouragement of course. Generally speaking the protestors are from poorer backgrounds and struggling. They are not your 1 in 7 millionaires. I think its fantastic the UK and AUS are offering a safe haven, that's putting money where your mouth is. I think UK will see a large uptake given the historical ties, not sure about here though. Question...will border force allow those with criminal records to enter?