Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-06-2020, 06:35 PM   #91
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Default Re: Hyundai ute shapes up

Renders are just that and most times look better than what ends up in the showroom but that not a bad template.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-04-2021, 01:49 PM   #92
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

The Santa Cruz lifestyle ute has been unveiled in the states.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/944722/...nch-ruled-out/

Not for Australia, although neither was the Palisade so I hold hope.

Obviously not a real ute competitor to the big players but any suits out there that think this won't sell reasonably well in Australia probably needs to rethink his career.
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2021, 02:35 PM   #93
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Yanks have discovered UTES, (rather than pick-ups) ..... and it looks like Australia misses out again.
The published specs do not indicate a small vehicle.
One of my cars is an AWD V6 Holden Crewman, (not a really a small ute) and this Santa Cruz is only 350mm shorter, on a 100mm shorter wheelbase, and a 300mm shorter tray.
Why would it not work in Australia ? Only Hyundai can explain that. Not everyone needs a Ranger / Hilux / D-Max type pick-up.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2021, 02:41 PM   #94
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
The Santa Cruz lifestyle ute has been unveiled in the states.

https://www.caradvice.com.au/944722/...nch-ruled-out/

Not for Australia, although neither was the Palisade so I hold hope.

Obviously not a real ute competitor to the big players but any suits out there that think this won't sell reasonably well in Australia probably needs to rethink his career.
Reading the article, it looks like this is only being built in the USA in LHD with no RHD plans (at this stage).

We get the Pallisade here because its made both in the USA (LHD) and Asia (RHD) so we can source ours from the Asian plant. Like the Kia Telluride (Pallisade's Kia Twin) the Yank's wont make them RHD for us.

Hopefully at some stage Hyundai (or Kia for that matter) build a Ranger competitor and put the 205kw turbo 4 in it for our market...

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2021, 03:14 PM   #95
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Is it just me or does the tray look worthless for anything bar a few boxes? Wouldn't an SUV hold more in it?

I know it's only a light duty thing just to cart small loads around in, which will suit some people, but you would think they would have made the tray a bit bigger so it's more usable. This is one area the Maverick has an advantage, as it's tray looks a fair bit bigger. Will have to check the dimensions to be sure though. Maybe it's actually bigger than it appears?

As to whether it would sell here, it would probably do ok. But ok won't be enough to justify the cost of making it in RHD. The numbers probably wouldn't add up. Same goes for the Maverick. The US has market size to justify it, we don't. Which is a bit of a shame as these 2 are probably the closest you could get to a Falcon/Commodore ute ie. mono construction based on a passenger vehicle with petrol engines.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2021, 04:37 PM   #96
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Now that it has been released this thread needs more pics.

These liberated from here: https://www.caradvice.com.au/944722/...nch-ruled-out/

With a few more from here; https://testmiles.com/2022-hyundai-s...uz-first-look/

I'd like to see it released here. I sure as hell don't want any of the existing dual-cab offerings. But this could be ideal, but still hard to gauge how big/small it really is.

Last edited by Raptor; 16-04-2021 at 04:43 PM.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2021, 04:42 PM   #97
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Is it just me or does the tray look worthless for anything bar a few boxes? Wouldn't an SUV hold more in it?

I know it's only a light duty thing just to cart small loads around in, which will suit some people, but you would think they would have made the tray a bit bigger so it's more usable. This is one area the Maverick has an advantage, as it's tray looks a fair bit bigger. Will have to check the dimensions to be sure though. Maybe it's actually bigger than it appears?

As to whether it would sell here, it would probably do ok. But ok won't be enough to justify the cost of making it in RHD. The numbers probably wouldn't add up. Same goes for the Maverick. The US has market size to justify it, we don't. Which is a bit of a shame as these 2 are probably the closest you could get to a Falcon/Commodore ute ie. mono construction based on a passenger vehicle with petrol engines.
Most twin cab ute tubs are too short to be of much use really,so I guess shorter by another 20-30 cms doesn’t matter,although the tray seems to go under the window ledge,so maybe it is a similiar length to the others
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-04-2021, 07:37 PM   #98
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Reminds me of a modern version of that super successful twin cab Subaru Outback that the US had a while back.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2021, 07:51 PM   #99
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Article says the tray is 1320mm long so that close to 4.5ft and the vehicle is 1900mm wide so you'd expect the tray to be 1500 wide.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2021, 08:25 AM   #100
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And another 500mm when you drop the tailgate

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2021, 10:20 AM   #101
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Hyundai Cruz is actually next size down, a Compact pickup and will compete with the
Maverick in America. Whatever Hyundai has planned for Australia will be very different.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post