Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-05-2020, 10:01 PM   #31
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Default Re: Hyundai ute shapes up

My son is a plumber, up until a month ago he was driving a fg ute with a body on the back, just handed it in and asked for 1 of the hiace vans they had ( literally the same year )
Asked him the differences and as he said, the falcon drove better and won the traffic light gran prix over the hilux easily, however for a work car, the hiace flogs the fg without a doubt, space, versatile for tools and equipment, storage of products, racks, plus plastic door trims & floors, storage in the drivers cabin etc, it's a tool, that's all,
My point is this, Franco in a way is right, these are just a tool for a tradie, nothing more and if u think of them that way, cheap and simple is all they need, then it's fine, the boy has had a ranger, hilux, fg and now the hiace.
As he said, if I wanna enjoy driving, he will take a drivers car, not a tradie tool.
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon

Last edited by au2000; 04-05-2020 at 10:10 PM.
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2020, 10:04 PM   #32
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can’t take the dog who loves to swim in the sea and roll in knee deep mud in anything but a dual cab.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2020, 10:09 PM   #33
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Can’t take the dog who loves to swim in the sea and roll in knee deep mud in anything but a dual cab.
Wife's yaris does that
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
3 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2020, 08:50 AM   #34
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
That's because you have no counter points, but that's fine, we manufacture our core product range in house in Melbourne and we have less than 50 products out of thousands that are sourced from China across 8 categories.

Falcon cab chassis Ute is considered an LCV by VicRoads, has a similar payload to the 4x2 Thailand specials.

The reason Thailand specials are made as body on frame and with rear drums is that it's cheap, when did drum brakes disappear from passenger cars? Sometime in the 1960s that discs became optional. Even modern prime movers and their trailers have disc brakes on them these days.

What sort of car enthusiasts are happy to pay through the roof for a cheaply designed product that's slow and turns and handles like absolute crap?

If it wasn't for the federal government giving large tax incentives on Thailand specials they'd never be as popular as they became.
No counter points, LOL you just quoted me and left them all out.

Stick to CV19 and worrying about the Asian invasion and leave critiquing cars to others.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2020, 08:53 AM   #35
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000 View Post
My son is a plumber, up until a month ago he was driving a fg ute with a body on the back, just handed it in and asked for 1 of the hiace vans they had ( literally the same year )
Asked him the differences and as he said, the falcon drove better and won the traffic light gran prix over the hilux easily, however for a work car, the hiace flogs the fg without a doubt, space, versatile for tools and equipment, storage of products, racks, plus plastic door trims & floors, storage in the drivers cabin etc, it's a tool, that's all,
My point is this, Franco in a way is right, these are just a tool for a tradie, nothing more and if u think of them that way, cheap and simple is all they need, then it's fine, the boy has had a ranger, hilux, fg and now the hiace.
As he said, if I wanna enjoy driving, he will take a drivers car, not a tradie tool.
Because thats what they are designed exactly to be, 99.9% of the world doesnt care about traffic light racing and drifting when you have a job to do. The money is in supplying the market what they what.

I am just as sadden by the loss of our utes, but so many years on I woudl have expected people to get past it.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
5 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2020, 12:04 PM   #36
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The Falcon ute Vs dual cab debate stops as soon as you want to go camping, fishing etc and need to go off road.

While the Falcon ute was a great tool, drove well and went bloody hard in some variants, the first rough section of road would have it bottoming out. Or bogged.

At least the Ranger gives you the option of going off-road, and carrying more than 2 people.

It's horses for courses, and a dual cab 4x4 has a much broader range of uses. Thats why people love them. The sales figures show that clearly.

If you never leave the road, or carry more than a passenger, and tow less than 2.5t, than a Falcon ute is the better vehicle.

Last edited by Bossxr8; 05-05-2020 at 12:19 PM.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2020, 02:21 PM   #37
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

How come youse blokes are arguing without me?

A ute is car based, the others are truck based.
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-05-2020, 02:32 PM   #38
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

A ute is a modified car able to carry **** when necessary, a Thai special is a workhorse which can take the family shopping.
Of coarse the car based ute will outperform the Thai special, its built on a platform designed for on road comfort, the Thai special is agricultural by comparison and not surprising, however, spend enough and get a high end version like a Raptor and that margin narrows considerably.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2020, 04:26 PM   #39
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
That's because you have no counter points, but that's fine, we manufacture our core product range in house in Melbourne and we have less than 50 products out of thousands that are sourced from China across 8 categories.

Falcon cab chassis Ute is considered an LCV by VicRoads, has a similar payload to the 4x2 Thailand specials.

The reason Thailand specials are made as body on frame and with rear drums is that it's cheap, when did drum brakes disappear from passenger cars? Sometime in the 1960s that discs became optional. Even modern prime movers and their trailers have disc brakes on them these days.

What sort of car enthusiasts are happy to pay through the roof for a cheaply designed product that's slow and turns and handles like absolute crap?

If it wasn't for the federal government giving large tax incentives on Thailand specials they'd never be as popular as they became.
What sort of car enthusiast buys as in my case a Triton expecting to go do track days in it? same response re the drums on rear, given its intended use they work fine and again given its intended use handles fine ive fond memories of all of the 4 Falcon utes ive owned from XW to BA but if versatile comes into it the Triton wins hands down,to be fair though will add if it was my only form of motoring i would have bought another Falcon ute or similar and forgone getting off the beaten track.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:47 PM   #40
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

lol @ the usual suspects still banging on about how inferior Korean stuff is. But i guess it's still 1998, right?
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2020, 05:06 PM   #41
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Clever move by Hyundai.

Release the luxury GV80 first then the ute.

Better to say the ute has the engine of a luxury SUV then the luxury SUV has the engine of a ute.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2020, 05:16 PM   #42
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
lol @ the usual suspects still banging on about how inferior Korean stuff is. But i guess it's still 1998, right?
My Korean 99 Festiva was and still is by far the most reliable car my whole family has ever owned and combined we have owned perhaps 30 cars from the cheapest being the Festiva to luxury European SUV's.

Biggest mistake I ever made was allowing the insurer to write it off after a small bingle. Would have given anything to go back and fight to keep it.

Old 05-05-2020, 06:13 PM   #43
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^
Helps that most of it was mazda.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2020, 07:32 PM   #44
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
How come youse blokes are arguing without me?

Except the Thailand specials aren't anywhere close to what trucks are like, it's just compromised where it does everything but nothing particularly well at all.

It carries 5 people, as long as the three in the back seat have no legs

Because it can carry 5 people and three with no legs, now the load area is tiny.

It has some offroad capabilities but it's no Toyota Landcruiser or Nissan Patrol

It can tow 3500kg assuming you're happy going 40km/h in 2nd gear when pointed at the first hill you encounter.

They have tiny rattly diesel engines with poor NVH characteristics

If it wasn't for a decade of FBT scams with our federal government incentivising Thailand's manufacturing industry they wouldn't have the following they have today.

Also just because something is popular, doesn't mean it's good, just plenty of fopdoodles

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
A ute is a modified car able to carry **** when necessary, a Thai special is a workhorse which can take the family shopping.
Of coarse the car based ute will outperform the Thai special, its built on a platform designed for on road comfort, the Thai special is agricultural by comparison and not surprising, however, spend enough and get a high end version like a Raptor and that margin narrows considerably.
Povvo spec RAM 1500 is nice too and it's the same price as the Ranger Raptor.

With people being happy with drum brakes, you don't need airbags or seatbelts either that 1960s cars lacked but people still seem to want those.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 05-05-2020 at 07:39 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2020, 07:49 PM   #45
black13
born to be mild

I thought this thread was about the possible hyundai ute, not the thai flogs that some hate. Anyway, happy with my thai special, its for special people. My son is special to me & he just loves going in dads thai special. No complaints from him about leg room or any others that ride in the back..............cheers
triumph Daytona 1200
the black beast busa gsx1300r

Last edited by black13; 05-05-2020 at 07:51 PM. Reason: typo
black13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2020, 07:50 PM   #46
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Povvo spec RAM 1500 is nice too and it's the same price as the Ranger Raptor.
That'd be my pick Franco, show, go and soundtrack.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2020, 07:52 PM   #47
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by black13 View Post
Anyway, happy with my thai special, its for special people.
You're right about that

Lowes Suit at Armani Prices.

Does the job when you've been invited along to Broadmeadows Magistrates Court though.
Old 05-05-2020, 08:27 PM   #48
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post

hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2020, 09:32 PM   #49
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
That'd be my pick Franco, show, go and soundtrack.
Yep , same here if for some stupid reason I went that way & brought a duel cab,
Re the Hyundai though, at the right price it should do well in the tradie market, but maybe it's just me but I think I looks like the predator...
Arnold should be chancing it through a jungle

Previous:
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
Old 05-05-2020, 11:11 PM   #50
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey Franco, what’s your opinion on dual cab utes...??
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2020, 11:27 PM   #51
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000 View Post
Yep , same here if for some stupid reason I went that way & brought a duel cab,
Re the Hyundai though, at the right price it should do well in the tradie market, but maybe it's just me but I think I looks like the predator...
Arnold should be chancing it through a jungle
The front and back lights look out of place for me. The head lights almost appear to be missing with only that Z formation and the rear lights look like a ?

The front would not be out of place on one of the French brands at first glimpses.

Price is going to be only a small part of the whole package for prospective buyers. At the cheaper end of the market we already have the LDV T60 and SsangYong Musso (both available with factory extra long trays) and for not much more the Triton.

The Musso has 7yr unlimited warranty but the brand is a relative unknown here. The Hyundai trumps on drivetrain and dealer network compared to the SY and LDV.

Our market is flooded with utes from several brands and price points so it's going to be a tough market to crack for Hyundai. They need to match or better the warranty of the SY, the power and performance of the other larger capacity diesel utes. They need to offer aftermarket options similar to or better than the Hilux and have a servicing structure that is transparent and value for money.

Wonder what took them so long to be honest?

Old 06-05-2020, 08:01 AM   #52
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I agree the RAM is sweet but its in another league and the majority dont want/need a V8.

Franco, did you not just buy a Colorado ute? There are plenty of FGX utes still about.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 06-05-2020, 10:20 AM   #53
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
I actually carry a 900mm long dog crate in the back of the Tez with a washable tray for such occasions. I don't have a great opinion for people who carry dogs in the a tray buts that's another argument.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2020, 11:00 AM   #54
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Cheez, sure has warmed up lol.....
The Hyundai ute looks butt fugly just as the latest Tritons - woeful looks thats for sure but I welcome another competitor, hopefully they change its looks in time.

I can understand the ol holden bashing for they were our enemies ON the track and on the roads (being Enthusiasts) but sheeesh this dual cab bashing is funny.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2020, 11:25 AM   #55
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Hyundai's Santa Cruz style ute... Not to be confused with the body on frame ute we will get.

naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-05-2020, 11:59 AM   #56
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
Hyundai's Santa Cruz style ute... Not to be confused with the body on frame ute we will get.

I read its actually quite small and based on the Tuscon.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2020, 12:46 PM   #57
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Franco, serious question, what do you think would need to be changed to make them an acceptable consideration?

I agree about some things you're saying, as much as I like dual cabs I'd love something offered with a more advanced car like engine and rear disc brakes without having to buy a Raptor.

I love my Colorado and it suffices in it's current guise, but it would be my ultimate vehicle with a better engine and brakes.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2020, 01:25 PM   #58
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post

If they intend on bringing a genuine dual cab ute to the market I don't quite understand why they wouldn't bring this to Australia also.
Old 06-05-2020, 01:31 PM   #59
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
I agree the RAM is sweet but its in another league and the majority dont want/need a V8.

Franco, did you not just buy a Colorado ute? There are plenty of FGX utes still about.
Yeah I certainly did, not for me personally but I organised it for work, the only reason why I went with the Thailand special was the $30K write down as there was tax advantages for the business and the Colorado 4x4 had the best power and torque figures in that price range.

If this was 2016 I'd have gone for an FGX cab chassis as it's a nicer vehicle to live with - one of our staff members has to live with it on a daily basis, I wouldn't wish a 2.7L Workmate Hilux on him.

If there was $40K to spend today I'd have opted for new Hiace V6.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 06-05-2020 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-05-2020, 01:52 PM   #60
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
Franco, serious question, what do you think would need to be changed to make them an acceptable consideration?

I agree about some things you're saying, as much as I like dual cabs I'd love something offered with a more advanced car like engine and rear disc brakes without having to buy a Raptor.

I love my Colorado and it suffices in it's current guise, but it would be my ultimate vehicle with a better engine and brakes.
Ah PG2 here's my take.
Were going on about the built tuff ol Falcon ute etc but we also bitched about its QC issues no ? door handles, engine issues, constant front end repairs, rust rust rust but we forgive it due to the inline 6 or 8 and its car style drive.
DC's only 2 issues imo are
1 the motors - yes I'd love a V6 and or better than the RR TT2.0l.
2 the oe showroom suspension is shyte barring RR the exception.

I was never a DC supporter or anything 4x4 till I got my 09 Hipox 4x4 SR5.
I got it what owners raved on about re about its prac/family use more so hoilidaying, wish I got one years earlier sticking to my performance mantra for soso long.
I love its prac, put on a far better suspension kit, slotted front rotors with better pads its goes fine for me laden unladen.
Funny about your question re the rear drums.
I actually had a discussion about this with a fellow business Product Manager in the 4x4 Industry I'm involved in.
He quoted why do they need rear disc's ? he said why don't HDuty trucks have them ? He'd prefer the wider and near full circumforance of the brake lining than what the coverage is of a brake pad.
Look at the lining coverage of HDuty trucks.
Well that was his take and I kind of relate to it.

Franco is an ex mechanic, as am I, he also worked with a company that re fitted Vans etc for Ambos from memory that were quite dodgy as he expressed many times and the type of crap he had to work on that I can agree with, ex Burson employee from memory now in a crowd like Pirtek I think.
He's knows his **** I respect that but we all also have our prefs and not.
For eg he goes on about the Rams/Silverados, well for me they are american PO**** as well, their motors are their best point imo.
I've dealt with american products for 30yrs, crap in general, I'd sooner buy Jap/Korean Euro if having choice on made parts and even they have their QC issue now and then but nothing like yanky crap.
No car/LCV are made like they used to be, cost cuts everywhere thats todays world as we all know too well.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"

Last edited by FTE217; 06-05-2020 at 02:19 PM.
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post