Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-04-2020, 06:49 PM   #1
CJR09
RPO 77

Default Sim Rigs

So with the apparent success of the iRacing series for Supercars, Carts, Nascar etc I thought it was prudent to have a crack.

I'm sure there must be some in here that are probably into it hard out - so I had a quick search but didnt come up with anything...

I harken from the days of c64, amiga500 etc - transitioned to ps1 & 2 when they came along but that is about where it was left...

So I dug out an old desktop that was left over from some study a few years ago, nothing spectacular and i didn't really think it would have the specs required to run the sim.

But turns out its not too bad - HP Elite 8300, i5, 500gb hdd with 8gb ram.

I have ordered a logitech g29, hopefully arrive next week, ill just use the lounge tv for now

I am going to throw a graphics card at it so would like to know if this one is suitable - https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/VGA...I-E-Graphics-C

Are they fairly generic things where doesn't really matter which you buy they all fit and work or are there traps - like i imagine with the age of this setup i can probably only go a certain size before it's maxxed out?

Happy enough to spend up to a couple hundy - looks like i could get 4gb for that - maybe that's overkill?

Help and advice appreciated

Please feel free to give examples of your own rigs and pics if you want - I'm going to look at a cockpit and triple screen setup once the tower is sorted

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-04-2020, 11:31 PM   #2
flightstrike

Default Re: Sim Rigs

Was looking into this as well for something different.

I don’t know your level of knowledge about computers, so please forgive me if I’m telling you how to suck eggs.

Does the Motherboard of your desktop have a PCIE slot? Graphics cards use this as the standard (have done for a while now). Make sure the new graphics card can fit. You existing power supply might be okay, being a 2GB card, I’d say it’s not going to demand excessive power. I’d suggest getting the 4GB version.

2010 FG XR6 Ute
flightstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2020, 12:06 AM   #3
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

The web says the HP has some slots available - including a PCIeX16 one, which you will need for this card which is a X8 - so that's Ok. It suggests it needs a 300W power unit - and your HP has 320W. Sounds good, but gee that's close. Really close. Run it on a hot 40C day and it might not be happy, but with A/C on and ~30C or less in the games room, it may be Ok... The video card matches the tech of the time ~2012. PCIE2.0 and it has low-profile options - which may be needed for the HP. If you go that route - treat it nice - and it may work out.
JasonACT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2020, 06:36 PM   #4
CJR09
RPO 77

Hey thanks for the response guys

After doing a heap of googling I ended up going with a gtx1650 low profile which has the best compromise of performance vs power draw - came across a couple of dudes on a forum that had done this with no probs - seems the hp elites are popular for converting to budget gaming machines

Temp shouldn't be a prob games room is in basement on south side of house so even on hottest days doesnt go above 25

Will replace the hdd with a 500gb ssd but will first add some ram - i think 16gb on top of the 8 in there at the mo should be fine out of possible 32gb

G29 Wheel and pedals have turned up, new 35" 21:9 ultra widescreen uhd led should turn up tomorrow/friday so just need to research and sort cockpit but an old desk and recliner will do for a few weeks, probably end up with something from next level or playseat

Running some cat6 for it tomorrow so it doesn't have to fight on the wifi - dont actually think it has wifi anyway but

Fingers crossed all works together ok

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

Last edited by CJR09; 29-04-2020 at 06:50 PM.
Old 29-04-2020, 10:32 PM   #5
flightstrike

Sounds great!
To follow up with what Jason said, the Power Supply is getting close. Techs recommend running PSUs at about 80%. That’s where they’re most efficient.
Be sure to show us the setup when you’re done!

2010 FG XR6 Ute
flightstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2020, 05:56 PM   #6
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i was talking to a friend of mine in the big us of a (and hes in his mid 50s) about the v8 supercars going virtual cos covid and he said he wanted in as hes a bit of a gamer him self
next hes trying to convince me to try out a game called wreckfest and hes gone and got him self a gaming chair
Attached Images
File Type: png seat.png (62.2 KB, 8 views)

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2020, 10:05 PM   #7
CJR09
RPO 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
i was talking to a friend of mine in the big us of a (and hes in his mid 50s) about the v8 supercars going virtual cos covid and he said he wanted in as hes a bit of a gamer him self
next hes trying to convince me to try out a game called wreckfest and hes gone and got him self a gaming chair

Rseat make some nice kit - this one looks like the one MA was using wed night

http://rseataustralia.com/index.php?...product_id=166

Did i heard right when he mentioned one of his mates was on it, not buckled in, crashed it threw him and he broke a couple of ribs?!?

Not sure i could get the cost of that one passed the minister of finance!!

That wreckfest looks insane!

Old 01-05-2020, 10:22 PM   #8
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been thinking about this as my PC is ancient - has a radeon 5500 from 15 years ago!
Probably would need to update everything but my impressions is the GPU you listed wasn't a gaming type?
Nvidia geforce GTX 1060 was one I considered (last gen which was replaced by the 1660) but a 1060 would be good enough if you can still find old stock significantly cheaper than it's 1660 replacement

Scratch that, it was the 1050 I thought would be a good cheapy, the 1060 is still high priced but if you don't need to run complicated HD graphics then a 1050 may do?
I think for gaming you need to look at minimum for the 1030, 1050, 1060 and the newer 16xx series.

Handy site for aussie prices is staticice.com.au just plug the model in there for rough prices to work out what tier they are in even if you're in NZ.
http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/...x+1050+&spos=1
http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/...GTX1030&spos=1

AMD rx570 or 540? is about $200 I think and the closest I can remember right now. I did some research a while ago but gave up but I think the gaming gpus from amd was the RX 550, 570.
http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/...+RX+550&spos=1

New low spec cards come out all the time and are often cheaper than last models older low/mid spec, so it's hard to keep track off until you are about to click 'buy'. a 4270 becomes 470 becomes 4400...(notice how similar that is to my 15 year old 5500? plus it switches from 4 digits to 3, to 4 again.).

E: You'll have to check if they can run on a old PC with a slower bus and your power supply! If not then second hand might be your best option.

I'm going back to playing tony Hawks underground 1 & 2 game cube version (on the wii) for free. No such worries about buses and power supplies

Last edited by oldel; 01-05-2020 at 10:45 PM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2020, 11:29 PM   #9
CJR09
RPO 77

A lot of good info there oldel, thanks - i flagged going with the gt710 which was the manufacturer recommended supported upgrade of the day - which you are right not so much a gaming gpu

Went with a gtx1650 which should be about 40% better than the 1050 but same tpd @70w or thereabouts, not quite as good as the 1060 but

The prob with the sff hp elites is they have like a hardwired pu which restricts what you can do from what i understand - there is a workaround but it looked like a pita

For what i want at the minute it will be good enough to do for now - im only a few hundy in, this gets me running - have a new ultra wide screen on the way, ill spend decent on the cockpit then upgrade as time goes on from there - want to get full motion eventually

Cheers

Old 02-05-2020, 12:03 AM   #10
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Glad you decided on something, thinking about it had given me a headache. I finally sorted out the AMD progression so wikipedia is good for something.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ocessing_units
I was getting a lot of no results when searching for various models because they were so old.

I started PC gaming back in the 7500 days, then went to 9600, x800, 5xxx.
So apparently after that they went to 2xx, 3xx. Then 4xx in 2016.

5xx in 2017 - like the RX540, 550 and 560, 570 I mentioned so they're still probably good for new games and maybe older PCs.
In 2019 they went back to 4 digits, so 5500, 5600, 5700.

E: and nvidia went from the 9xx series in 2016 to the 10 series in 2018, to the 16xx series in 2019
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s#Desktop_GPUs

Might not be of interest to anybody but for me I'll make notes as I'll go s/h if I do eventually upgrade myself.

It's really annoying to see how bad the prices got due to the dropping $au.
Still play your older systems? I had to get rid of all of mine but I've got a c64 emulator on my wii as well. Last time I used it was for world games and last ninja (reality isn't as good as the memories).
I keep the wii for emulation, eg nes, snes, n64 and a few arcade conversions the wii runs. I've got a nintendo port of bubble bobble! Plus there's a few independent original games people made for it which are crackers.

Last edited by oldel; 02-05-2020 at 12:14 AM.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:23 AM   #11
CJR09
RPO 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldel View Post
Glad you decided on something, thinking about it had given me a headache. I finally sorted out the AMD progression so wikipedia is good for something.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ocessing_units
I was getting a lot of no results when searching for various models because they were so old.

I started PC gaming back in the 7500 days, then went to 9600, x800, 5xxx.
So apparently after that they went to 2xx, 3xx. Then 4xx in 2016.

5xx in 2017 - like the RX540, 550 and 560, 570 I mentioned so they're still probably good for new games and maybe older PCs.
In 2019 they went back to 4 digits, so 5500, 5600, 5700.

E: and nvidia went from the 9xx series in 2016 to the 10 series in 2018, to the 16xx series in 2019
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s#Desktop_GPUs

Might not be of interest to anybody but for me I'll make notes as I'll go s/h if I do eventually upgrade myself.

It's really annoying to see how bad the prices got due to the dropping $au.
Still play your older systems? I had to get rid of all of mine but I've got a c64 emulator on my wii as well. Last time I used it was for world games and last ninja (reality isn't as good as the memories).
I keep the wii for emulation, eg nes, snes, n64 and a few arcade conversions the wii runs. I've got a nintendo port of bubble bobble! Plus there's a few independent original games people made for it which are crackers.

Yeah i found the amd stuff hard to follow as well - i looked a couple of theirs as generally it looks like you can get a slightly better performing card for the same price or a bit cheaper but they seem to be harder on the power unit drawing more watts - sometimes double the nvidia - i needed the lowest possible so was easier to stick with the nvidia stuff

Tbh not sure where the older systems have got to - they were left at the old when i moved out, they have since built new and shifted as well so suspect they have been given away

Interesting re the wii - my daughter has one so may have a crack at the emulator thing, is it easy enough?

I am sure there was a few websites around a few years ago where you could play those classics on your desktop

Old 02-05-2020, 10:09 AM   #12
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs
I got a copy of Wreckfest on Xbox1. It a pretty good game for crash and bash racing, took me back to the speedway street stock days.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-05-2020, 09:43 PM   #13
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJR09 View Post
Interesting re the wii - my daughter has one so may have a crack at the emulator thing, is it easy enough?
You just need to install homebrew and some hacks to give you control of the USB ports and have a launcher app for your various emulators. So first step is a SD card (old 2-6GB preferable if you have any old cameras you might already have one)

Various places walk you through it, like: https://gbatemp.net/categories/ninte...scussions.104/

When I first hacked the wii it was back in 2013 and it was all manual settings changing the IOS, but these days it's almost automated - one place even has a set up program where all you need to know is the consoles MAC address, then copy the installer to an SD card and launch the hack and installer. I followed that method for the spare wii I bought for my kid last year. E: "Modmii for windows" You'll need to run it on windows using a PC that also has a SD card reader to copy the files over of course.

After that all you need is the frodo emulator for C64 and the game roms (easy to get and they're only 171kb each - I've got about 330 of them. ROM sites for such small files are everywhere on the internet) A USB keyboard to load the c64 games on the wii, and a decent controller to play the games on the wii - like a wii pro controller - even a clone game cube controller might work - never tried a GC controller but the regular wii remote isn't the best thing to a play a c64 game with... Works fine with genuine wii pro controller though - does not work with clone wii pro controllers. But never had a problem with clone GC controllers for GC games.

For NES you need fceugx, for SNES you need snes9xgx, for amiga you need uae-wii

There's playstation and n64 emulators that work with some games (not 100% compatible for those later systems). And of course gamecube where most ps2 and xbox games had a contemporary ported version anyway. Get 'nintendont' and run a HDD with gamecube games (1gig ea) - I've got about 70 of them to keep me and my kid amused, plus about 40 wii games (they're 4gig and more of a pain to get but alvaro and 1fichier.com is you friend for GC/wii games)

Last edited by oldel; 02-05-2020 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:23 PM   #14
CJR09
RPO 77

Just a bit of an update - gpu finally turned up today, took two weeks to get to me

Fitted it this arvo and it runs a dream - get over 100fps on iracing with quality settings maxxed out and all features on - goes over 300fps with qually at medium settings

Massive improvement over the stock that was running 30fps on lowest quality setting and all features turned off

Have another 16gb ram coming so should help out some, not that there is anything wrong with the way it is now - seems perfectly fine

Managed to get my 'D' license so playing in both the mx5 and the RUF gt Porsche now - had a crack with the mustang supercar at bathurst but that was just mental, mission just to string a clean lap together - have not had another go with it since the monitor and card arrived which should help some - will start getting a plan together for the cockpit

2 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2020, 10:29 PM   #15
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just a bit of an update - gpu finally turned up today, took two weeks to get to me

Fitted it this arvo and it runs a dream - get over 100fps on iracing with quality settings maxxed out and all features on - goes over 300fps with qually at medium settings

Massive improvement over the stock that was running 30fps on lowest quality setting and all features turned off

Have another 16gb ram coming so should help out some, not that there is anything wrong with the way it is now - seems perfectly fine
Best bang for buck is the way to go. Different of course if you're building for a specific purpose that requires the best of the best.

Some people want the latest of everything (usually over-priced, come with bugs, ahead of most games available) and they become obsessed with high-end FPS. I prefer the path of that I own my computer and it doesn't own me. But that's easier said than done.

And if your system is not bottle-necked you could always have the option of slapping another gpu in, if needed.

I've been out of the game for some time but I've heard if you run SLI on some games you need to create separate profiles.

Perfect new toy for lock down.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2020, 10:40 PM   #16
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If any of you get the chance to try some of the latest vr stuff its mind blowing. Got a mate right into sim racing he replaced his tripple screen setup with an oculus headset and will not race anything else. The sense of immersion, being able to look through the corners and see depth is just amazing and makes it so much easier to race clean.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2020, 10:54 PM   #17
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8 View Post
If any of you get the chance to try some of the latest vr stuff its mind blowing. Got a mate right into sim racing he replaced his tripple screen setup with an oculus headset and will not race anything else. The sense of immersion, being able to look through the corners and see depth is just amazing and makes it so much easier to race clean.
I bought an Oculus Quest, I haven't had the chance to hook it up with my steering wheel and pedal setup yet though. But I can't get my missus to walk across the loungeroom floor with it, when she can only see a plank going off the edge of a high rise building.

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them

@GasoLane;
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-05-2020, 05:58 AM   #18
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I have really wanted to have a chair setup for ages, I have a G27 with a fanatic stand but its pretty crude.

I went to hook it up to the PS4 the other day adn I forgot I tried the same thing 3 years ago and bloody SONY/Logitec had a deal to not support it for the PS4 so you had to buy a G29.

Raged all over again, so apparently there is a dongle I can buy which tricks the PS4 in thinking its a G29.

I think ill get Wrekfest, it reminds me of Destruction Derby which was a wicked game back in the day.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2020, 07:15 AM   #19
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yer my mate in the US that's still tryin to get me to play wreck fest with him (I drive all day for work so have no interest in driving gaming) got an oculus quest the other day
Keeps raving bout it , except the "i can't get it back off the missus" and is trying to talk me into VR now , tho I was Lookin in to it for a while but never made the leap

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 13-05-2020, 11:46 AM   #20
CJR09
RPO 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
I have really wanted to have a chair setup for ages, I have a G27 with a fanatic stand but its pretty crude.

I went to hook it up to the PS4 the other day adn I forgot I tried the same thing 3 years ago and bloody SONY/Logitec had a deal to not support it for the PS4 so you had to buy a G29.

Raged all over again, so apparently there is a dongle I can buy which tricks the PS4 in thinking its a G29.

I think ill get Wrekfest, it reminds me of Destruction Derby which was a wicked game back in the day.
Wreckfest is on special at the mo at humble bundle for like 20 slides

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/wreckfest

Its on my wishlist but ive blown my weekly pocket money on tracks and cars on iracing

Old 14-05-2020, 03:44 PM   #21
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Ends in 3 hours, current high bid is $14,500.....

Mostert’s high-tech Supercars simulator up for grabs

https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/05/14...-up-for-grabs/

https://www.lloydsonline.com.au/LotD...nlTMh9Dl17Ee7U

Quote:
Description:
WAU Supercars Motum Simulator
RRP $26,950

Walkinshaw Andretti United star Chaz Mostert has teamed up with Motum Simulation to offer one lucky fan the ultimate tool for their man-cave, the Motum simulator Chaz used in the Supercars Allstars Eseries.
The turn-key unit will be delivered and installed, signed by Chaz and includes everything needed to hit the track online including Supercar sequential gear shifter, Simucube direct drive steering system, a high-capacity gaming PC, stainless steel chassis and high-tensile aluminium space frame cockpit.
The simulator will be motion-ready, meaning it is compatible with a Motum 6DOF Truemotion base for addition later on, will carry a WAU livery and come complete with a Walkinshaw Performance build plate signed by Chaz.

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2020, 03:29 PM   #22
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Wreckfest is on special at the mo at humble bundle for like 20 slides

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/wreckfest

Its on my wishlist but ive blown my weekly pocket money on tracks and cars on iracing
well i may never play it but at that price bought it , never know maybe my US mate may be able to have me play against him

so anyways with a little spare cash i currently have , ive decided to have a sniff at these VR things n see it i end up with one

Old 11-06-2020, 12:02 PM   #23
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Kelly’s simulator hits the market: ‘One owner, always garaged’

https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/06/11...lways-garaged/

Quote:
Rick Kelly is taking enquiries for his custom-built Ford Mustang ‘SuperSim’ following the completion of the BP Supercars All Stars Eseries.

Kelly capped off the Eseries with finishes of 24th at Oran Park Raceway and 28th at Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit.

The 10-week Eseries was as much about the simulator build as it was about the online racing.

Kelly began with a camping chair bolted to a custom made wooden frame sporting an entry-level racing wheel.

In the weeks that followed, Kelly acquired a high-performance computer, top of the line wheel and pedals, and three 55-inch monitors.

Kelly finished off the build with a silhouette body around a real race seat as well as a replica rear wing.

The two-time Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000 winner jokingly described the simulator in a Facebook post as “always garaged” but “been in a few serious accidents”.

“Well the sim is up for sale now,” said Kelly.

“But in all seriousness, I really didn’t know what to expect when we started the Eseries, whether anyone would watch it or enjoy it, but it’s been a big surprise and a big success.

“Supercars put on an incredible show and did such a good job to produce something of that quality in a short period of time and give the fans and sponsors something to engage with.”

Kelly said he struggled throughout the competition but enjoyed the process of building the simulator with his son.

“From the driving point of view, I wasn’t very good but definitely improved as the series went on.

“The second simulator was a big upgrade and building it with the help of my son was probably my highlight of the last 10 week’s.

“Now our full focus is on the return to racing in a few week’s time, I absolutely can’t wait to get back on the real race track at Sydney.”

Kelly will return to the track on June 27-28 at Sydney Motorsport Park with the resumption of the Virgin Australia Supercars Championship season.

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post