Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 03-11-2016, 02:44 PM   #1
4dlvr
4dlvr

Default mb mondeo 2.3l

Hi all.

I have a 2.3l auto mb mondeo zetec wagon.

lovely car however i have noticed a few issues.

1) car drinks a little to much oil for my liking. Id say approx 1 litre per 10,000km.

2) car feels a little gutless under 2000rpm especially in warmer weather. I have done a basic service changing oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs but i haven't seen much of a change.

has any one experienced similar issues?

Thanks
4dlvr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2016, 03:20 PM   #2
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Default Re: mb mondeo 2.3l

1. That can be seen to be as normal 100ml/1000km is within a normal range in my books but it depends on many variables but do look into any oil leaks, that and give the EGR valve a clean. What grade oil do you use? How many K's on the engine?

2. have you replace the fuel filter as well?, tyre pressure can play a small part, brake drag, extra non-essential weight, or perhaps injectors could do with a testing/clean. Does the Coolant temperature stay put at it's nominal mark or does it fluctuate. Last time the trans was flushed?

Remove the battery cable to clear the trans learned and fuel trim values and see how it goes.

Could be a good time to buy an OBD2 adaptor and use forscan to check what's going on. Though it's not uncommon to hear the 2.3L feel a tad sluggish, hope it helps and or some info given back help pick something.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2016, 04:24 PM   #3
4dlvr
4dlvr

Thanks Cobrin,

it may be within normal range however i think in this instance there is an underlying issue. the motor currently feels healthy with 115,000km on it and has been regularly serviced as per log book intervals.
no oil leaks or blowby into the airfilter, throttle body was very clean upon inspection. tire pressure is 36psi and coolant has recently been replaced and coolant temp stays consistent at all times.

I have disconnected the battery for a reset with no noticeable difference.

i know these motors arent powerful and it may just be me.
on a warm day just feels very flat under 2000 regardless of how much throttle you put into it, once passing 2000 the car picks up well. feels as though the timing and AFR is completely out of wack in those instances.

i will replace the fuel filter for trail by error purposes, however i am doubtful it will make a difference as it feels as though the higher the revs go the less the issue.
Old 03-11-2016, 06:58 PM   #4
Omega-T
Starter Motor

Can't help with oil consumption, but re. performance, what fuel are you running it on? The 2.3L is designed to run on 95 octane and, anecdotally, the biggest difference I notice with the Mondeo is better tractability at lower engine speeds with 95/98 compared to 91. Not a huge change, but you can tell the difference.

The higher octane fuel also appears to deliver better fuel economy - not enough to recoup the extra cost, but it does help.

Last edited by Omega-T; 03-11-2016 at 07:00 PM. Reason: typos
Omega-T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2016, 10:04 PM   #5
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They do feel sluggish at low revs. Any chance you could drive another 2.3 to compare?

Do you know what the oil is? A litre per 10,000 km is certainly not excessive, but perhaps a little high for the 2.3 engine.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2016, 11:30 AM   #6
4dlvr
4dlvr

Thanks for the responses.

the fuel used has always been 95 octane.

i dont have another 2.3l to compare with which makes it a little difficult. however on a nice cool day the power feels liner as you go through the rev range.
sit on the spot for a minute in weather over 25deg and it feels like heat stroke sets in and struggles.
almost the equivalent to taking of in second, kind of has nothing until you get in the powerband
Old 05-11-2016, 03:16 AM   #7
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah, I understand now. Might be worth checking if there are any fault codes. Not sure what it could be though, but I'm no expert!