Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Do you support changing the Australian flag?
No 227 78.01%
Yes 64 21.99%
Voters: 291. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 25-01-2010, 11:28 PM   #91
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Someone on the radio made a good point today though, if it is changed then we should use the coat of arms, with the roo and emu, moving forward as a country.
I for one don't want it to change but if we had to then replace the union jack with the coat of arms. But I still love our flag and our country.
Old 25-01-2010, 11:30 PM   #92
FERG_51
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Keep it and be proud of it.
Old 25-01-2010, 11:31 PM   #93
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO
with the roo and emu, moving forward as a country
i thought they were used, because they were so tasty, yet exotic too
Old 25-01-2010, 11:39 PM   #94
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

xcpswf, you've got a lot of gall telling us all we should change our nations flag, but refuse to vote based on the limp excuse that your vote means nothing. If you don't want a say in the people who run this country, you don't have the right to tell those who do what should represent it.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 25-01-2010, 11:48 PM   #95
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Leave it the way it is, nothing wrong with it.
Old 26-01-2010, 12:00 AM   #96
gocruzin
Ford tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCPWSF

That is if you want the country sponsored by Quantas.
JUst read GTpilot's post whoops, but I agree with him and beleive we should leave it as, is especialy with the Crudd government in charge. Who knows what orrid design he would cook up to replace it.

Last edited by gocruzin; 26-01-2010 at 12:11 AM. Reason: me no read
Old 26-01-2010, 12:00 AM   #97
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
xcpswf, you've got a lot of gall telling us all we should change our nations flag, but refuse to vote based on the limp excuse that your vote means nothing. If you don't want a say in the people who run this country, you don't have the right to tell those who do what should represent it.
Hear hear!

What i've noticed: the people most proud to show off how australian they are with their australian flags everywhere also are the kinds of people who defy australia's laws and have a lack of respect for the creation and upholding of australia's law. They also seem to know very little about australia's history, wouldn't know the second verse of advance australia fair, and think nothin more of the eureka stockade flag other than 'thats the union logo'. (not talking about people in this thread, this is a general social observation).

Last edited by Mr Hardware; 26-01-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 26-01-2010, 12:03 AM   #98
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
If it aint broken don't try to fix it.
agreed. x2
Old 26-01-2010, 12:05 AM   #99
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
i thought they were used, because they were so tasty, yet exotic too
that could be it..or that they can't walk backwards ;)
i like yours better
Old 26-01-2010, 12:15 AM   #100
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

I say leave it as is,
If it is because society changes, ok, we'll just change it every 20 years. Maybe there should have been a tie-dyed flag in the 60's - 70's and a studded leather flag in the 80's. So that would open the door for iFlag 2.0... all designs welcome.
/end rant.

I say keep it on principle, if you are offended by it then well you have more serious mental issues that needs to be worked out first...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

Old 26-01-2010, 12:20 AM   #101
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

You all go on about the flag...how many of you know the Full Lyrics to Advance Australia Fair?....Here they are!

Hardly anyone knows the true lyrics to Advance Australia Fair so here is the COMPLETE version for those Aussies that want to stand proud and show off to all your mates!! Verses 2,4 and 5 are hardly ever sung but this is the complete version!

Australians all let us rejoice,
For we are young and free;
We've golden soil and wealth for toil,
Our home is girt by sea;
Our land abounds in Nature's gifts
Of beauty rich and rare;
In history's page, let every stage
Advance Australia fair!
In joyful strains then let us sing,
"Advance Australia fair!"

When gallant Cook from Albion sail'd,
To trace wide oceans o'er,
True British courage bore him on,
Till he landed on our shore.
Then here he raised Old England's flag,
The standard of the brave;
With all her faults we love her still,
"Brittannia rules the wave!"
In joyful strains then let us sing

Beneath our radiant southern Cross,
We'll toil with hearts and hands;
To make this Commonwealth of ours
Renowned of all the lands;
For those who've come across the seas
We've boundless plains to share;
With courage let us all combine
To advance Australia fair.

While other nations of the globe
Behold us from afar,
We'll rise to high renown and shine
Like our glorious southern star;
From England, Scotia, Erin's Isle,
Who come our lot to share,
Let all combine with heart and hand
To advance Australia fair!

Shou'd foreign foe e'er sight our coast,
Or dare a foot to land,
We'll rouse to arms like sires of yore
To guard our native strand;
Brittannia then shall surely know,
Beyond wide ocean's roll,
Her sons in fair Australia's land
Still keep a British soul.
In joyful strains the let us sing
Old 26-01-2010, 12:20 AM   #102
bluestreak
Atmo-6 CruiseMissilePilot

Location: Beechboro WA or in a deep dark hole in the desert...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
...They also seem to know very little about australia's history, wouldn't know the second verse of advance australia fair...
It has a second verse:

Seriously, though. We should change neither the flag nor the anthem. They are bland and innoffensive and therefore represent Australia perfectly. May not represent Australians that well, though...

Cheers

:

Mildly modified BF XR6 (Mine - for now)
Luxurious BFII Fairmont Ghia (Hers)
4x4 PX XLT Ranger (As soon as it gets here!!)

Ladies - if a man says he'll do a job, he will do it. There's no need to hassle him about it every six months or so...
Old 26-01-2010, 12:21 AM   #103
Envi XR8
I love my beast too!

To me the flag shows important facts about this country.
1. It was formed into a counrty of our own, as part of the British Empire, hence the Union Jack, to represent our history.
2. The Southern Cross marks our location as a southern hemisphere country, as its a distinct feature of our night sky.
3. The 7 pointed star represents the 7 states and terrorities that make up this country and those people who live in them.

Those comments about the flag not representing a "modern" Australia, and not meaning anything to new Australians, I say that new Australians come to this country to live, knowing what our flag is. If they want symbolism on a flag, then stay in their own land. Before coming here, our flag obviously represents and means something to them; An opportunity for a better life, religious or lifestyle freedoms including the right to express their distaste for a flag that represents a country that provides all the things that their country did not give them.

Regarding the National Anthem, have those that want it changed actually read the lyrics? and what it talks about. Google them, and you might find something that makes you proud***EDIT, thanks Coll***

Last edited by Envi XR8; 26-01-2010 at 12:27 AM.
Old 26-01-2010, 12:22 AM   #104
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Australians all let us rejoice
For we are young and free
We've golden soil and wealth for toil,
Our home is girt by sea:
Our land abounds in nature's gifts
Of beauty rich and rare,
In history's page let every stage
Advance Australia fair,
Advance Australia fair.

Beneath our radiant Southern Cross,
We'll toil with hearts and hands,
To make this Commonwealth of ours
Renowned of all the lands,
For those who've come across the seas
We've boundless plains to share,
With courage let us all combine
To advance Australia fair.
In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance Australia fair.
Old 26-01-2010, 12:28 AM   #105
gocruzin
Ford tragic

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Tonko]
I say leave it as is,
If it is because society changes, ok, we'll just change it every 20 years. Maybe there should have been a tie-dyed flag in the 60's - 70's and a studded leather flag in the 80's. So that would open the door for iFlag 2.0... all designs welcome.
/end rant.

I say keep it on principle, if you are offended by it then well you have more serious mental issues that needs to be worked out first...

i:Flag 2.0 ROFL!!
Old 26-01-2010, 12:29 AM   #106
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
I didn't tell anyone anything, I merely said my opinion then backed it up when someone questioned me on parts.

I don't vote, Dad doesn't vote, my sister doesn't vote, her boyfriends parents don't vote. Why not give us a choice in voting? I'm sure it'd stop a lot of 0, 0, 0, 0 votes or 1, 2, 3, 4 ones.
Old 26-01-2010, 12:47 AM   #107
T1 Terry

With the lack of unity and strength in our country as a nation changing our flag now would be a disaster. If you think another country with another flag looks more appealing to you let me be the first to chip in a dollar towards your fare out of here.
The only changes we may need to make is to signify the 8th state when the last of it's citizens finally move to Bondi
The greatest country on earth, bar none, be proud of all it stands for and all that represents it. If you don't like it and think some where else would suit you better the offer still stands, love it for all it is or p*ss off

T1 Terry
Old 26-01-2010, 12:59 AM   #108
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati888
Huh? Culture very much does change with the times. We don't still burn people at the stake for being a witch, or murder people for being the wrong race or religion (well, we don't in Australia much, anyway).

Have you had a good look at the crimes against humanity that Britain has undertaken over the last thousand years? It's on a par with the Catholic church and the Nazis. If that's the foundation of our culture, then I think we should take a good hard look at ourselves.
Maybe we are referring to culture differently.
I am referring to it as a description of our roots and core belief system, minus the changing beliefs that come with education.
Our roots were planted in history and that cannot be changed.

Only 220 of the last thousand years involve Australia, we'd stopped burning witches by then ;)
Old 26-01-2010, 02:06 AM   #109
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
Someone on the radio made a good point today though, if it is changed then we should use the coat of arms, with the roo and emu, moving forward as a country.

Old 26-01-2010, 03:56 AM   #110
BHDOGS
Banned

Thats to emo we need skulls in the shape of the southern cross on a black flag with lighting flashing the back ground and the words dont look at our flag ****a
Old 26-01-2010, 04:22 AM   #111
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt

i absolutely love it. that makes me proud.

but seriously, theyd put some f-wit in charge of deciding the new flag and we would end up with something like an iFlag 2.0, itd be some poxy childish rubbish that would make us an embarassment to the world, just like naming your kid Apple or something...
256rwkw

BA manual Typhoon
Fully optioned, 340rwkw@16psi (thanks Bluepower)!

The old ride....
AU Fairmont, cammed beast, R.I.P you made my p plate years bearable!
150.8rwkw courtesy BPR
Old 26-01-2010, 04:29 AM   #112
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
I didn't tell anyone anything, I merely said my opinion then backed it up when someone questioned me on parts.

I don't vote, Dad doesn't vote, my sister doesn't vote, her boyfriends parents don't vote. Why not give us a choice in voting? I'm sure it'd stop a lot of 0, 0, 0, 0 votes or 1, 2, 3, 4 ones.
you do have a choice to vote or not. If you choose not to vote, for whatever reason, that's fine, but don't come on here and spout opinions about our nations flag. Forgoing your right to vote is as good as forgoing your right to voice opinions about our great country. As far as I can see, what your saying is "I won't vote, because it won't amount to anything, but you all better listen to my ideas for the country!!!" if 50,000 people decided not to vote, but could, that could make or break one individuals election campaign. You might feel as if your vote is like a drop in the Atlantic, well, it is. But it's one of millions that make up the populace and all these people together make a voice. If we all had your attitude, this country would be in the cr***er.

I'm not going to tell you how to live your own life, if you don't wish to vote that's your choice. But when you want to voice opinions regarding something as important as our nations flag, well you won't be taken seriously unless you vote.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 26-01-2010, 07:57 AM   #113
WOLF
Track Red XY

I shudder to think what a new flag would look like. I say hold on to what we have and keep the past alive :
Old 26-01-2010, 08:50 AM   #114
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

I voted yes it should be changed. However I do not think it should be changed UNTIL Australia becomes a republic, which I also think should happen eventually.
Old 26-01-2010, 10:11 AM   #115
zdcol71
zdcol71

I would just like to add 2 things, Geez louise says hardly anybody knows all the lyrics to our Anthem... until they were posted in her thread, I would defy anyone to tell me they kew them all. I could cut copy the Constitution but still could not tell anyone I knew it!l
Secondly, I am glad to see no one has responded to post #53. (and, no, this is not a response to it)
Old 26-01-2010, 10:26 AM   #116
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

i think this should be the new design
it is totally australian and everyone will love it
it has reference to the greatest car ever made in australia (we could even import the actual snake over here to be our national animal - that would give us some credibility over seas hey. a cobra would beat a kangaroo or a piece of wattle. how tough would that make us)
it has a football team that has only played in australia
and lastly it features a band that once toured australia - aussie eddie van (now that has a good ring to it)

maybe everyone of us can have our own national flag, that way everyone of us will be happy with the result

alternatively, we could just leave it and concentrate on more important things in our lives
Old 26-01-2010, 10:37 AM   #117
MRFGXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

If it aint broke don't fix it.

6/6/16 build 2017 plate Race red mustang gt with white solid stripes, tint, x-force exhaust, rear spoiler, 35mm lowered Votgland springs

Old 26-01-2010, 10:38 AM   #118
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Whilst I have no problems with the current ANF, I do believe that when we become a republic, we will need a new ANF. And I do think it is inevitable that we do become a republic so that we have our own identity and have someone that we vote in as our Head of State.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
Old 26-01-2010, 10:40 AM   #119
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
import the actual snake over here to be our national animal - that would give us some credibility over seas hey. a cobra would beat a kangaroo or a piece of wattle. how tough would that make us)
All good until a Kookaburra belts the Cobra against the ground then has it for lunch.
Old 26-01-2010, 10:43 AM   #120
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

By how many votes did Bush win in 2000?
Closed Thread