Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-07-2019, 01:50 PM   #181
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Does Anyone Here Fly Drones??

DJI Ryze Tello Sports mode, great beginners drone that You can buy pretty much anywhere for not a lot of money:

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2019, 01:52 PM   #182
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hover test of this cheap non gps drone.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 24-07-2019, 01:57 PM   #183
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The lowly and now obsolete GoPro Karma Drone, still great in 2019?

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 24-07-2019, 02:02 PM   #184
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A video demonstrating the follow me mode of the DJI Spark drone.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 24-07-2019, 02:06 PM   #185
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

And they even cater for the Pyromaniacs.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-08-2019, 10:23 PM   #186
.:4:.
Kicking back

Dunno anything about drones as such. Rc cars i do know. So my kid turned 10 yesterday. Because im not on the greatest terms with his mum i leave it till after the date to take him shopping for a present because i dunno beforehand what he got. He gets excited too as he has a say in what he wants. He has a quad copter that isnt a drone in the slightest. Constant trim adjustments as the thing has no smarts makes it difficult to fly. So range isnt really an issue, but im more interested for advice on stuff like ease of operation. https://www.jbhifi.com.au/drones-rob...-drone/828200/ . The model under that one my kid was satisfied with. But im thinking spending the extra for gps which i think you can set a home point with could be a saviour if he flys out of his sight and cant reference anything on the screen. The kid is good with rc cars. He has a traxxis bigfoot (effectively just a stampede) with a few goodies and a kyosh mini z. Both arent trashed. So he knows how not to hit stuff. Things on paper for that drone i like are the auto takeoff and land, and auto hover. But i dont know anything about flying drones.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2019, 10:35 PM   #187
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

New laws have had my 2 x 3D printed drones sitting on the shelf, I just can't be bothered (hey I expected to crash more, so printing replacement parts seemed like the way to go - only the landing feet have ever been replaced though).

https://www.casa.gov.au/drones/register
JasonACT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2019, 10:45 PM   #188
Kicking back

Ive read the legalities, well the old ones a while back. Interestingly enough, my kid did mention that when he plays in the front yards of his nanas place and the front yards of the neighbours kids with said kids he often wondered why a drone would be flying. Turns out it was just one of the other kids parents keeping an eye on them from the sofa. Odd, but nothing sus in my opinion.
Old 28-08-2019, 12:20 AM   #189
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

I've read, photos are needed or it didn't happen, on AFF:

2 users like this post:
Old 28-08-2019, 12:57 AM   #190
Kicking back

Thats dedication. For a drone i know nothing about, plug and play with ease of operation is what im after for a 10 year old. As previously stated rc cars is my game and upgrades and repairs to those to me are what im used to. Replacement gearbox gears is something ive done before, and that's steel gears not nylon. Going stupid with brushless motors and 11.1v 3 cell lipo batteries with the suited speed controllers does terrible things to rc cars. Yeah stupid fast until they break. But, not to digress. My main question remains as will a proper drone be fool prood to fly?
Old 28-08-2019, 01:08 AM   #191
JasonACT
Away on leave

The only thing mine don't do well is stable height at low altitudes. They are stupidly simple for everything else. Once you are 50m high it doesn't matter...

https://github.com/betaflight/betafl...sked-Questions

I've got some amazing video from around where I live, at a great height.

The reason height is a problem is, the MCU has a pressure sensor, but air pressure changes all the time, at all heights.

I don't know what the store bought ones are like though. A mate at work who bought one (much larger than mine) but a year earlier says, it's hard to stop it crashing.
Old 28-08-2019, 01:16 AM   #192
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

What about Tiny Whoops? They take a little bit to learn, you fly them by viewing through the FPV goggles. They are less than 100 grams, so exempt from licensing.

This is a video from a mate of mine...

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-08-2019, 01:34 AM   #193
JasonACT
Away on leave

The "run cam" device on mine has a WiFi module for the same goggle view, but my phone is too old to use it. I do want a tiny whoop though. The problem would be battery life. The batteries I've got are already >250g and so are my 2 drones, so quite heavy, but I get a lot of life out of them before bringing them in for a change over.
Old 28-08-2019, 01:42 AM   #194
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Get away from using your phone to control them, Bluetooth is limited in range and reliability.

You can get cheap digital transmitters, I use Flysky. There’s a few different protocols out there.

1971 Fairlane 500
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
Old 28-08-2019, 10:12 PM   #195
creative
I am Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Thats dedication. For a drone i know nothing about, plug and play with ease of operation is what im after for a 10 year old. As previously stated rc cars is my game and upgrades and repairs to those to me are what im used to. Replacement gearbox gears is something ive done before, and that's steel gears not nylon. Going stupid with brushless motors and 11.1v 3 cell lipo batteries with the suited speed controllers does terrible things to rc cars. Yeah stupid fast until they break. But, not to digress. My main question remains as will a proper drone be fool prood to fly?
No.. A proper drone will not be fool proof to fly. There are 3 types of quads/drones.

Toys - what you find in shops, usually brushed motors that will wear out but can be fun if you dont expect to much from them
Drones - DJI etc self explanatory tbh
Quads - home built and can be serious machines and require alot of building and programming and generally dont use any crutches such as gps etc. This is where the real fun is had but can also be costly and frustrating

Ranging from micros ( tiny whoops etc ) mini ( 2.5 - 3 inch size) a 'normal sized' 4 or 5 inch and the new category X-class which are 10inch behemoths that are genuinely scary but epic to watch! lol

These are then generally broken down to 3 types of builds: with example videos...

Race - designed to be light and fast... like really fast! this kid is just a robot. I dont race, my brain cant keep up..

Freestyle - flippy floppy stuff that looks cool - digging wild willys flow at the mo and this is what style I fly.

Long range - built for efficiency and cruising over long distances. Bit of TBS goodness...

Its also usually cheaper to do hard drugs...
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.
Now sat on an engine stand going nowhere

Last edited by creative; 28-08-2019 at 10:26 PM.
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-08-2019, 10:23 PM   #196
creative
I am Batman

Also the hobby is about to go digital video... DJI have just released a game changer to the hobby that gives us HD cam footage in the goggles.. The technology is finally getting mainstream and is going to change FPV in a big way!
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Old 28-08-2019, 11:25 PM   #197
creative
I am Batman

and my last vid I did. Havent been flying much recently due to work and weather but found my very first proximity clip.... and just had to put something together to show then and now. lol

https://www.airvuz.com/video/How-tim...47f40eedaab3f8

Old 28-08-2019, 11:34 PM   #198
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
and my last vid I did. Havent been flying much recently due to work and weather but found my very first proximity clip.... and just had to put something together to show then and now. lol

https://www.airvuz.com/video/How-tim...47f40eedaab3f8
The last quad I built was a nice-flying 85mm frame with 9kv motors, and 48mm tri-blade props. It was a victim of an Act of Dog. Initially it was one motor that died, but he nicked it off my desk later that night, and finished the job off. I'm awaiting the replacement parts...

1971 Fairlane 500
2 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2019, 11:07 PM   #199
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

For anyone that does their own builds I found this place in Tassie that stocks multi-coloured flexible silicone insulated stuff and I ordered a few boxes:

Box 1: Blue/black/green/red and yellow
Box 2: Purple/grey/orange/brown and white

It's on sale at the moment, they put the price down the day after I bought the last box...
Ratmick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2019, 11:11 PM   #200
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Anyone got any recommendations for drone motors.

I'm building one of these: FS277 Hornet

...tying to work out what to buy to power it.

Mostly flying 3S or 4S so at this stage (raw beginner) so don't need anything too hyperactive...however would like to future-proof it to a degree.

I have another 5" drone, and Armattan Chameleon, it has Emax 2205RS 2300KV and is plenty fast enough.

...like to try something different next time though.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:18 AM   #201
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratmick View Post
Anyone got any recommendations for drone motors.
So I'm looking at iFlight XING 2306 2450KV

Not as heavy as a 2207 or a 2208...
Old 06-10-2019, 04:11 PM   #202
creative
I am Batman

what do you want to fly? Freestyle, LR, Race?

Im a steele fanboi when it comes to motors, amazing for freestyle but all the guys I fly with race with fly T-motor , especially the BMS ones atm.

Old 07-10-2019, 01:17 AM   #203
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
what do you want to fly? Freestyle, LR, Race?

Im a steele fanboi when it comes to motors, amazing for freestyle but all the guys I fly with race with fly T-motor , especially the BMS ones atm.
Freestyle would be the closest to what I would be aiming for, I have no interest in racing.

...I did look at the Steele Silk 2306 2345KV, they’re not cheap though.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:36 PM   #204
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

https://www.cnet.com/news/meet-robot...ilots-by-2023/
Old 16-04-2022, 01:53 PM   #205
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The long Obsolete GoPro Karma still going strong in April 2022

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 14-07-2022, 04:14 PM   #206
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Finally got a new Drone.

DJI Mini 3 Pro.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 14-07-2022, 05:14 PM   #207
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 14-07-2022, 05:16 PM   #208
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What can one expect to pay for an entry level drone for learning? Maybe one for taking scenic photos rather than sports at this stage?

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2022, 04:26 PM   #209
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
What can one expect to pay for an entry level drone for learning? Maybe one for taking scenic photos rather than sports at this stage?
A decent beginner drone would be the DJI Spark IMO.

They are no longer sold new, but can be had for $300-500 depending on accessories.

Fly great and are able to handle a crash or three without falling apart. Do great videos and can also have some fun with them. I had one for years only sold it this year as after buying the Mini 3 pro I would not be using it any more, mini 3 pro costs around $1300, and is much more fragile but also has a lot of professional camera settings, 4K video etc stuff you don't need for some nice holiday snaps.

Ill attach some videos below for you from when I had my Spark, was my favourite drone for many years.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 20-07-2022, 04:39 PM   #210
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some more for you :

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave