Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-01-2017, 09:33 PM   #1
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Wheels 'Ford Mustang V8 scores ‘poor’ 2-star safety rating'

Ford Mustang V8 scores ‘poor’ 2-star safety rating
ANCAP has slammed the V8-powered version of Ford’s affordable sports car for sub-standard safety

https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/17...-safety-rating

THE Ford Mustang GT has been labelled unsafe following a dismal two-star independent crash test result that determined occupants could suffer serious injuries in a collision.

In a test conducted in conjunction with Euro NCAP, Australia’s leading independent crash test authority, the Australasian New Car Assessment Program (ANCAP) found the V8-powered, US-made sports car had poor occupant protection for both adults and children due to incorrectly inflating airbags, a sub-standard crash structure that included a door that came open in a side pole test, and a deficiency of crash avoidance technologies that are becoming increasingly common in new cars.
ANCAP chief executive James Goodwin slammed the safety of the V8-powered two-door coupe – the result doesn’t apply to four-cylinder Mustang because it wasn't tested and may perform differently – that has been an unexpected sales hit for Ford.

“This result is simply shocking for such a newly designed and popular model,” Goodwin told Wheels, adding that the Mustang performed “below the expectations of what consumers would expect and, frankly, it’s not as safe as it should be”.

More to read
https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/17...-safety-rating

In a carefully worded statement Ford defended its muscle car and repeatedly described the ANCAP result as “disappointing”, suggesting that what it describes as a “rigorous new [testing] protocol” was introduced by ANCAP last year, well after development of the current Mustang had taken place.

The statement also asserted that the ANCAP tests were now “more tailored to family cars and people movers” than sports cars such as the Mustang.

Ford said the Mustang meets all applicable safety standards – many of which are embarrassingly low – and said it was competitive among sports cars, also performing well in overseas crash results, including those conducted by the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).

“The overall Euro NCAP rating is based on four pillars, with a very strong focus on family car safety characteristics and specific safety assist features, which are usually not part of the standard equipment of cars in the Mustang category,” the Ford statement read.
But Goodwin said the poor result was unacceptable for any car, especially one costing upwards of $45,990.
“I don’t think safety should be compromised, whatever car you’re buying. This is an expensive vehicle, it’s a newly designed vehicle and safety should never be compromised.

ANCAP also stressed the combined Euro NCAP and ANCAP result was not because the vehicle was missing minor “safety assist” systems, which could be as simple as daytime running lights, a fatigue reminder or “hill launch assist”.

“This isn’t a score because it’s missing rear seatbelt reminders,” said Goodwin. “Fundamentally it also hasn’t performed well structurally. There is serious risk of head, leg and chest injuries for rear passengers. There was also insufficient inflation of both driver and passenger airbags in frontal offset test, which allowed the driver’s head to contact the steering wheel and the passenger’s head to contact the dashboard. The driver’s door opened in the pole test and the whiplash protection for rear-end collisions was only rated as marginal.”

The Mustang performed worst in the “Safety Assist” part of the NCAP test, one of four assessed areas, with just 16 percent, or 2 out of 12. Child occupant protection was marginally better but still poor at 32 percent, while adult occupant protection was 72 percent, let down by a score of 4.67 out of 8 in the frontal offset test.

Pedestrian protection was rated at 64 percent, although the official ANCAP report noted the front edge of the bonnet “posed a high injury risk for pedestrians”. The Mustang’s active bonnet is designed to pop up to help protect pedestrians from injuring themselves on hard parts such as the engine or suspension towers.

The Mustang’s two-star rating – which ANCAP described as “concerning” and “poor” - is the worst crash test result for a new model since the Chinese-made LDV V80 van of 2013 achieved a similar two-star rating. The only other passenger cars – as opposed to commercial vehicles – to have scored a two-star ANCAP rating were much older vehicles: the 2006 Chrysler Voyager, 2005 Holden Barina and 1998 Hyundai Sonata.

It’s unlikely the apparent crash structure issues with the Mustang can be addressed as part of a recall or service campaign and Ford appears to have no plans to do so – other than adding some active safety features as part of an update in 2018.
“The Mustang is a safe vehicle, equipped with advanced safety features and a structure designed to manage crash energy under a variety of crash modes,” Ford said.

“The Mustang has already proven its safety performance in NHTSA NCAP and IIHS test programs. We are committed to continued improvement in vehicle safety, and the 2018 Mustang in Australia will be equipped with driver assistance features such as AEB and Lane Keeping Aid.”

But Goodwin called on Ford to make changes on the production line to address the safety concerns raised.
“I’m encouraging Ford to introduce design and production changes to improve the vehicle’s safety performance as quickly as possible,” he said.

Goodwin also warned police forces around the country from considering the Mustang as a pursuit vehicle, suggesting the car was unsafe.

“The car has fallen down in lots of areas of its assessment and we would really expect that emergency services personnel would be in the safest car that they can be in.”

The Mustang, built for the first time in right-hand drive, has been a runaway hit for Ford Australia. The carmaker originally estimated it would sell 1000 of the coupes and convertibles in 2016, and instead it sold more than 6000.
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina

Last edited by uniacidz; 25-01-2017 at 09:38 PM.
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-01-2017, 09:44 PM   #2
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Wheels 'Ford Mustang V8 scores ‘poor’ 2-star safety rating'

"sub-standard crash structure"...............that's not good.

Cheers Mick
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2017, 09:49 PM   #3
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I read an article about ANCAP being fully booked with testing by manufacturers seeking to avoid this new testing protocol, dont think Mustang will be on its own here.

Still not a good look though
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2017, 09:50 PM   #4
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It seemed to fall over in multiple areas: door popping open in side impact, sub standard crash structure and airbags deploying too late

Although it doesn't look too bad in the video

https://youtu.be/F0StTHnTKK8

Last edited by Brazen; 25-01-2017 at 09:57 PM.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2017, 10:03 PM   #5
HO 3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Makes me wonder if we will ever see the RH MY18 version here?

Cheers Mick
HO 3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2017, 10:07 PM   #6
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Its only designed to mow down crowds of people in the US not hit heavy objects

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2017, 10:11 PM   #7
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

It is a concern for such a modern car to be lacking so badly ...but I don't really think it will deter current owners or prospective buyers.
The potential issue with this ( aside from the foremost risk to occupants )may be in insurance costs . If large insurers consider it to be an excessively risky proposition, then there may be increased premiums as penalty.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2017, 10:18 PM   #8
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I fully LOLd when I read this, how the HELL can a global car maker design a new car in 2016 and have it perform so woefully especially when it's designed for first world markets.I have no words.......

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 25-01-2017, 10:18 PM   #9
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3 View Post
People in the US are pretty heavy though.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2017, 10:38 PM   #10
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3 View Post
Is this some kind of an 'in joke'?
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2017, 10:47 PM   #11
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
I assume you havent seen the videos then?
Old 25-01-2017, 10:49 PM   #12
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

So it's Ok in NHTSA NCAP ?

Why the difference?
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2017, 10:51 PM   #13
.:4:.
Kicking back

Thats a bit of a concern since my now old 08 fairmont copped a 4 star rating and I'd much prefer to drive a mustang.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2017, 10:53 PM   #14
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Thats a bit of a concern since my now old 08 fairmont copped a 4 star rating and I'd much prefer to drive a mustang.
Requirements change and the same car will get different scores over time too.
Old 25-01-2017, 10:55 PM   #15
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

lots of difference. Any 5 star car tested to the previous regime would be lucky to gain 3 in the new. Instead of increasing to 6, 7, or 8 star they restructured the whole rating system. 2 is definitely disappointing, but not to be confused with old ANCAP 2 stars that the Chinese **** boxes get.

there's going to be a lot of this stuff coming through in the next few years as previous 5 star stuff looks like it has been downgraded.....
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2017, 10:58 PM   #16
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8 View Post
So it's Ok in NHTSA NCAP ?

Why the difference?
Things they test in europe and here as opposed to NA. So it struggled with front and side impact pole tests.
Old 25-01-2017, 11:02 PM   #17
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2016/4/1...vents-7732969/
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2017, 11:07 PM   #18
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It wouldn't stop me from buying one
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2017, 11:12 PM   #19
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
Things they test in europe and here as opposed to NA. So it struggled with front and side impact pole tests.
And the score of 2 stands due to safety assist ( which scored 2 ), which is one of 4 of the measured requirements.

So if it had automatic braking and lane assist it would have got a higher score.

A FGX Falcon may have got 2 also due to its safety assist score.
Old 25-01-2017, 11:17 PM   #20
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
I assume you havent seen the videos then?
No, I haven't. What key words should I punch into Google?

EDIT: Someone posted a link.
Old 25-01-2017, 11:20 PM   #21
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And the score of 2 stands due to safety assist ( which scored 2 ), which is one of 4 of the measured requirements.

So if it had automatic braking and lane assist it would have got a higher score.

A FGX Falcon may have got 2 also due to its safety assist score.
Exactly

The new ratings seem stringent.

However, ignoring that the article about side intrusion and general safety has to be looked at overall and doesn't seem to stack up well in those regards

EU has high standards and looks like we are heading for that also and maybe America doesn't have to even look into that yet and so when the tests done, a rude awakening to current standards which are implemented compared to the US standard in place

Sent via my ASUS ZE551ML
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2017, 11:25 PM   #22
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
The common denominator seems to be the model with an open diff and live axle. Hopefully the current model isn't afflicted with such issues. At least for the drivers in the U.S., these cars probably need some extra idiot-proofing!
Old 25-01-2017, 11:26 PM   #23
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Therefore 90+% of cars on Australian roads are 2 or 3 star cars ....
Old 25-01-2017, 11:37 PM   #24
Kicking back

I drove an 09 express van for 6 and half years that had a 0.5 star rating in the old regime. Hit a possum and you would die. Youtube the crash test. It gets nasty quite fast. Makes for a safer driver
Old 25-01-2017, 11:46 PM   #25
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

So if the Mustang hardtop scores 2 stars.... Wonder if the convertible would get 1 star

Looks like the waiting lists will get shorter very soon
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2017, 11:55 PM   #26
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAXRSIX View Post
So if the Mustang hardtop scores 2 stars.... Wonder if the convertible would get 1 star

Doubt buyers will care.

Funny enough if it didnt sell so many this wouldnt be an issue.
Old 26-01-2017, 12:01 AM   #27
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAXRSIX View Post

Maybe or maybe not. Convertibles typically are heavier due to more bracing down low.
Old 26-01-2017, 12:39 AM   #28
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Therefore 90+% of cars on Australian roads are 2 or 3 star cars ....
Barraxr8's comment has to be taken into account as the Stang was tested under new criteria.

Thus the dudes comment regarding Police use of the Stang is very erroneous as their current cars would probably be the same under this new testing regime.
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2017, 04:33 AM   #29
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

...incorrectly inflating airbags (dummy's head hit the wheel/dashboard prior to inflating), sub-standard crash structure that included a door opening in the pole test......bugger me. Plenty of older cars have passed airbag tests and crash structures have passed without doors opening. Obviously crash avoidance technology is missing from older cars, but at least when they do crash the airbags and crash structure works.

New test criteria or not, FORD wouldn't be happy with that.

Time will certainly tell if FORD will work on ANCAPs test results.
Good on the ANCAP.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2017, 04:33 AM   #30
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

...incorrectly inflating airbags (dummy's head hit the wheel/dashboard prior to inflating), sub-standard crash structure that included a door opening in the pole test......bugger me. Plenty of older cars have passed airbag tests and crash structures have passed without doors opening. Obviously crash avoidance technology is missing from older cars, but at least when they do crash the airbags and crash structure works.

New test criteria or not, FORD wouldn't be happy with that.

Time will certainly tell if FORD will work on ANCAPs test results.
Good on the ANCAP.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post