Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-02-2017, 04:32 PM   #1
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default When is it time to upgrade from a iphone 4 to a iphone 6 onwards and what can you do to buy time

Hi

Was wondering when is it time to upgrade to a iphone 6 onwards and what can you do to buy more time and be able to run the new program's if you don't have the money and you can't put up with the iphone 4 any longer,

If it helps the iphone 4 seems outdated and is

Very slow on internet

Closes out of program's for no reason

Battery doesn't hold charge now

Cameras not best now

Sometimes looses signal even in a place where there's phone towers

Can't run latest operating system which most program's need these days and when you go into updates it says software upto date which is iOS 7 can't get ios 8 on the iphone 4

Is there anything you can do to buy more time to get a newer phone and to be able to run or be able to get the program's and get ios8 until you can afford a newer iphone

There's no more updates for the 4 but can't afford a new iphone yet and could be a while as cars also needing stuff fixed and got to do that first and few other things too
car10002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2017, 05:01 PM   #2
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Default Re: When is it time to upgrade from a iphone 4 to a iphone 6 onwards and what can you do to buy time

Buy a second hand 6. Maybe a friend has one that is sitting in a drawer getting no love. Put out the question on Facebook if you have it and I guarantee someone will have a spare.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2017, 05:05 PM   #3
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: When is it time to upgrade from a iphone 4 to a iphone 6 onwards and what can you do to buy time

Have thought of that what's least you'd pay for one or a 5s

How else do you get a 300000km 23 yr old car as reliable as a newer one with half the age and km even though the speedo will keep goin from where it's at

There's just things to fix and can't do it all at once
car10002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2017, 05:41 PM   #4
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by car10002 View Post
Have thought of that what's least you'd pay for one or a 5s

How else do you get a 300000km 23 yr old car as reliable as a newer one with half the age and km even though the speedo will keep goin from where it's at

There's just things to fix and can't do it all at once
Why iPhone, why not Android?
Old 08-02-2017, 06:04 PM   #5
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

What the hell did i just read...
Old 08-02-2017, 07:22 PM   #6
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-A...0DZLQ0oDIpi8tg
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2017, 12:01 AM   #7
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Haven't we been through this before?
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11458400
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-02-2017, 12:45 AM   #8
barrys123
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
Haven't we been through this before?
Definitely looks like the same question by the same OP
barrys123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2017, 10:36 PM   #9
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Never. Any time is good to downgrade to a non-smart phone.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2017, 10:44 PM   #10
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

You guys are too easy to troll. That is what I have learned from this car10002 fella.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-02-2017, 11:53 AM   #11
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Buy a cheap Android, why do you need a iPhone? it is the most expensive phone you can buy.

I see so many people with no job but they have latest iPhone? WTF?

My work gave me a crappy generic android phone that costs about 200 bucks outright and it does everything, phone internet pictures, messages what ever.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2017, 12:46 PM   #12
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

I love iPhones but just as many like Android better. iPhones are expensive.

I'd say if money is an issue to get a Android handset
Old 14-02-2017, 01:49 PM   #13
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by car10002 View Post
Hi

Was wondering when is it time to upgrade to a iphone 6 onwards and what can you do to buy more time and be able to run the new program's if you don't have the money and you can't put up with the iphone 4 any longer,

If it helps the iphone 4 seems outdated and is

Very slow on internet

Closes out of program's for no reason

Battery doesn't hold charge now

Cameras not best now

Sometimes looses signal even in a place where there's phone towers

Can't run latest operating system which most program's need these days and when you go into updates it says software upto date which is iOS 7 can't get ios 8 on the iphone 4

Is there anything you can do to buy more time to get a newer phone and to be able to run or be able to get the program's and get ios8 until you can afford a newer iphone

There's no more updates for the 4 but can't afford a new iphone yet and could be a while as cars also needing stuff fixed and got to do that first and few other things too
You didnt get the info from the last thread you started about this late last year?

Seriously man, nothing has changed.
Upgrade your phone

VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2017, 10:54 PM   #14
Lugh

I still have an iphone 4 - crashes out of the internet about once a week, but otherwise fast enough. Gets better coverage than her iphone 6 on the same network. I think the trick is to avoid the updates - haven't updated mine in about four years, Battery is still good too. The battery in her iphone 5 only lasted 18 months.
Old 14-02-2017, 11:00 PM   #15
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
I still have an iphone 4 - crashes out of the internet about once a week, but otherwise fast enough. Gets better coverage than her iphone 6 on the same network. I think the trick is to avoid the updates - haven't updated mine in about four years, Battery is still good too. The battery in her iphone 5 only lasted 18 months.
Correct. Once the phone is out of date do not update. I'm on number 3 iPhone for work. The 4 was good never updated untill both buttons failed. Same with the 4s untill both buttons failed. The boss handed me the 5s that he just updated. It's crap. I much prefer my personal samsung.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2017, 11:01 PM   #16
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

When I smashed my phone by accident (dropped it on the crapper floor and broke the screen), I went without a phone up right until I started my own business.

The only way I was contactable was by knocking on my door or here on AFF.

If I ever throw in the towel on the business I'm going back to having no phones, that way I control who I contact.

Life was simpler.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-02-2017, 11:04 PM   #17
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
When I smashed my phone by accident (dropped it on the crapper floor and broke the screen), I went without a phone up right until I started my own business.

If I ever throw in the towel on the business I'm going back to having no phones, that way I control who I contact.

Life was simpler.

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-02-2017, 11:05 PM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The only problem is you start reading the back of the air freshener can when you're on the crapper as you feel bored
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2017, 11:08 PM   #19
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post

You remind me very much of my dad. He is the director of a company with over 350 franchises in all states (in wa they just pulled a hostile takeover of the largest company in the industry in that state). Up untill 06 maybe, he had no mobile. Simple reason. If he is not in the office, not at home. He didn't want to talk. He is a founding member of the mortgage industry association. I can understand not wanting to talk.
This user likes this post:
Old 15-02-2017, 02:31 AM   #20
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

I have a second hand iphone 4s that im currently using as a backup for internet and contact with certain people (via wifi only as they keep changing sim card sizes!!!). This was my first iphone and has been working good up until it stopped charging properly and will only charge when stood on its end leaning against something. I was then bought unwillingly an iPhone SE (which is a 6 in a 5 body) by my dear mother as my Gumtree phone didnt last long because it was second hand. Hmmmmm yeah no...

I did not want it as chances are it wont last long being what i call modern Apple crap. So 4 months after purchase it now sits on my desk dead because the charge port has totally shat itself. Gee what a surprise. Its lasted less than my iphone 4s.

Cost of iphone 4s second hand $100.
Cost of iphone SE new $647.

Thats a 6 year iphone supply for me as they make these damn things to fail. Not to mention not making old charge cables compatible with new iphones making you buy more of their crap. Oh and the sim card size change making you unable to go back to your old phone, forcing you to buy their new crap! Pity they have the best user interface but are total crap for longevity.

Screw them, get an android or something if you can bear their software.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2017, 06:41 PM   #21
Kicking back

I have had both a 4 and a 5 stop charging due to crap in the charger socket. Nothing a tooth pick can't clear out but it's annoying none the less. I still can't complain about my current old samsung. It doesn't tell be what to do....
Old 15-02-2017, 08:15 PM   #22
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Cleaning hasnt helped. There is also play in the socket so something is definitley not right in there.
In the past cleaning worked for the 4s but these days this is not so. Never worked for the SE.

Grr!

Subaru Outback '02
Old 15-02-2017, 08:18 PM   #23
Kicking back

Fair call, play probably means broken and in that case no charge means stuffed. Often being in dusty places was why my iPhone have gunked up. The Samsung has a waterproof cover over the charging jack so dirt stays out.
Old 16-02-2017, 12:39 AM   #24
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Yeah thats what i figure. Im taking it tomorrow for $75 worth of new charge port fitted. Yes the phone is still under warranty but its worth losing warranty and me paying $75 to not waste my time with those moronic dog jerking tossers at Apple when i will probably be given (if im lucky) a new phone with the same design flaw built in.

So hopefully this is a permanent fix. Bit like an AU head gasket in an E series...

I have a cover that has that feature however i dont use it as the earphone hole becomes too recessed to use.

Subaru Outback '02