Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-12-2013, 03:52 AM   #1
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 
Post AU front swaybar maintenance/replacement pictorial

This info is not quite right for series 1 AU's as they're different, but the basics are no doubt the same.

This is such a simple job that I thought I'd throw up a few pics that I took while I was at it to perhaps encourage someone to have a shot at this themselves. It doesn't take long, I spent more time cleaning the front wheels and brakes than I did on the actual swaybar change. The swaybar D-bushes are prone to knocking over bumps so even if you aren't wanting to put in a heavier bar as I am, this info could still be useful to change the bushes.

Firstly, don't do this without jack stands (or ramps) and be sure to do it on firm level ground.

What's going in - Whiteline - BFF21XZ, 30mm thick and adjustable between two settings: http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_detail4.php?part_number=BFF21XZ

What you get;

The new D-bushes are solid. I wasn't keen to cut them so I left them sitting on the warm engine's intake manifold while I jacked the car - this enabled me, with some difficulty, to slide them over the end blades of the swaybar.

They also come with grease that's very necessary. It also must not taste very nice as the dog took only a small sample!

This is your best jack stand positioning and why I removed the wheels - as wide as you safely can and under the lower arm so that the suspension is as close to driving ride height as possible. If you want do it the right way;
1. Loosen wheel nuts.
2. Raise one side on the jack.
3. Remove wheel
4. Place wheel under the sill at the front door so that if you jack fails you will probably not die.
5. Place jack stand as indicated in the below pic.
6. Let the car down onto the jack stand.

To remove the old bar, it's a 14mm nut on the swaybar link that you see in the foreground of the above pic, and then the two 13mm nuts that hold the D-shackle thingy in the background. The second last pic is a better one for seeing them.

Here's the D-bush fitted to the bar. You could also warm it in hot water to help soften it enough to get it over the swaybar end. It needs to be well greased and you'll note that the bush is designed to seal around the edges to keep the grease in. Hopefully you don't lose too much grease when sliding the bush over the end of the 'bar. I also greased the outside of the such but these fitted so snugly once tightened that I feel that wasn't really necessary.

A comparison of the bars showing relative thickness and also the length to the swaybar link. You always put an adjustable swaybar on at it's softest setting so I'll be using the hole closet to the end.

Another shot, trying to highlight the difference in thickness between the standard Series 2 TE50 bar and the new one. You can also see the wear on the old bar caused by it moving within the D-bushes. Unlike most of the bushes in your suspension that are thick and soft enough to flex across their range of movement, these are designed to 'slide' over the swaybar so the bushes do wear once the grease hardens - and that's when the knocking starts.

To refit to the car, fit the ends first and then place the D-shackles over the bushes that you slid onto the 'bar and tighten. As you can see, the dog is still standing so the grease hasn't killed her. Yet.

This is my glamour shot of the bar, though the background also serves to show that I really was responsible and initially fitted the bar on the softest setting;)

After a quick spin, my initial impression is that even on the softer setting it corners MUCH flatter now and the moderate knocking that I had over corrugations (particularly leading up to a roundabout just near home) is now gone. It will be interesting to me to see if I pick up any harshness or other downside to having a heavier bar as I've never fitted one to a road car before.

For anyone thinking of replacing their bushes only, if your new bushes are cut as the old ones on my car were then you won't even need to take the bar all of the way out - just undo the shackles, whip the old one out, clean up the inside of the shackle, lubricate the inside of the bush and refit.

Next job is the rear bar and that's no picnic on an IRS car so I'll leave it for a weekend.

Al.

TE2 #116
Build/Maintenance thread here.
www.fte.ford.com.au lives! 2001 2002
Add a T-series to the Registry HERE

Last edited by Uncle_Ken; 07-03-2020 at 01:18 PM.
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2013, 04:01 AM   #2
rayban76
AU3 5.0L Fairmont Wagon

Default Re: AU front swaybar maintenance/replacement pictorial

Another great writeup mate, I'm sure this would help those unsure of what to do. Good job.

I havent changed my sway par yet but its on the list, I have heard it makes a great difference to the cars feel.

Ray

5.0L, 2.1l Kenne Bell, Tickford T3 Heads, Crow valve springs, YellaTerra 1.7 Rockers, Comp Cam, Comp D-Row Timing, 10mm LiveWire Leads, LC-1 & Moats Quarterhorse, B&M TransCooler, Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump, King Superlow Coil Springs, John Bowe Superlow Pro Leaf Springs, K&N 4" Pod & CAI, Pacemakers, 100c Cats, 2.5" Redback, 19" FPV Rims, BF-T Prem Brakes, TS50 Bumper with DTRL's, Custom FG Bulge, BA XR Side Skirts/Rear bar

Ford Performance Club of ACT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rayban76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #3
SantoAU
Defender of the faith

Awesome write up. Sway bar is on my to-do list, so this will be very helpful

They just get reinvented.

SantoAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Additional tip I have herd, is to wrap the area where the bush sits on the bar in Teflon tape.
Helps reduce friction and stops any squeaking.

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2014, 12:32 AM   #5
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

A quick note on this - I fitted the Whiteline 20mm three way adjustable bar yesterday and it's fairly horrific to fit in your driveway on jack stands. Getting the old one out was not so bad, but the new one in is bulkier and a driveshaft needs to come out.

It took me ages and everything hurts =)
TE2 #116
Old 17-02-2014, 08:34 PM   #6
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just did the 30mm on the front of my au s3, awesome upgrade for $175! not so easy doing it with the car not jacked up but can be done!
mcfly94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2014, 12:48 AM   #7
bluestripes
Q - CAR

Would just like to add, i snapped my left under carriage that holds the sway bar and i was told that it was because i needed to have the weight of the wheel on the ground prior to tightening. Mechanic said you nip everything up hand tight, put blocks under the wheels and than get under and torque bolts.

Not sure how true all that is, however, i will be replacing both undercarriages next week and i will be following above method.

347 Windsor Stroked; (10:2.1) / TFS 190 heads / TFS R Series 90 manifold / Accufab 85mm Race TB / 90mm Lightening MAF / K&N 90mm pod CAI / FTI custom cam (230-236 @ 50) / Bosch 36lb inject / MSD coil + leads / ASR 8lt sump / Mcleod RST Twin Plate Clutch / Pacemakers PH4006 + 3" single exhaust / BA Premium brake pac / Pedders Xtreme coil over shocks / 30mm Whiteline sway / 3.45 LSD / Custom FG bonnet / Ghia interior upgrade / Enkie Rims - staggered / Quarter Horse tuned.
bluestripes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2020, 02:31 PM   #8
Space of Aids
Starter Motor

Where are the photos?
Space of Aids is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2020, 03:31 AM   #9
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space of Aids View Post
Where are the photos?
This thread is 7 years old. The pics were probably hosted on photobucket or similiar and have now been unlinked meaning you now cant see them
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2020, 01:19 PM   #10
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Fixed
The error was Https but http worked
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2020, 02:35 AM   #11
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Ken View Post
Fixed
The error was Https but http worked
UK
Thanks UK, at some stage the forum seems to have decided that the links all needed to be changed to https. I could handle it at my end but that domain name is no longer needed as I don't really want to pay for an ssl certificate for a dead domain. If I could edit my posts I could update them all but I don't think this is an option (?)
TE2 #116
Old 08-03-2020, 06:51 PM   #12
Space of Aids
Starter Motor

Hey thanks for getting the photos through guys, this will be my next project on the coon, hopefully keep her running healthy and strong.

Last edited by Space of Aids; 08-03-2020 at 06:57 PM.
Space of Aids is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post