Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-04-2022, 07:54 PM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default Car parks. Why so hard.

A couple of the most common grievances of many people that are into cars, and some that aren't.

Both of these were at my local bunnings, but its not unique to any carpark or any state. Its common everywhere.

First one. You park miles away, with plenty of empty spaces all around, only to come out and find some numpty has parked right next to you, even though there are still plenty of spaces and many of them much closer to the entrance.

Ours is the new Escape on the right. Sure, not parked perfect but we were away from everyone. The owner of the honda just happened to arrive back at her car just as we did. Out of curiosity I asked what her thought process was in choosing to park where she did. I was kind of genuinely curious, but also be bit annoyed... I got called an idiot for my trouble and was asked if I owned the carpark. Then after she got in to her car she got a bit braver and started abusing me with the window up. No idea what she said
It does my head in. It happens so often, I just don't get the mentality behind it. Its got to be a sheep thing.

The second is when people just obviously don't give a rats. This from today...

Again, we'd parked first, in the further most corner of the car park. Came out to the above picture. The owner of the red car had just walked away, so the white car in the middle had parked second. How can you just leave it like that? I don't care if it takes some people a couple of goes to get it right. Just have some care factor. The red car was parked on a similar angle. The maddening thing was, what you can't see from the pictures, is the large amount of free spaces available.

I know I'm not the only one that has these frustrations.
Old 09-04-2022, 08:20 PM   #2
minheim

Default Re: Car parks. Why so hard.

I share your frustration. I'm happy to walk a bit further to avoid other cars and trolleys and forever amazed why people want to me next to my car. I can only think that they are happy to park next to me as they know they won't be hit by a another car using the park space I am in and that because I am particular in where I park they know I will be careful opening doors. It's because of this I maintain a second older car as my main shopping cart. I also park it clear of other cars and way from trolleys and downhill slopes as best as I can and hope for the best. This also helps keep the kms down on the first car which mainly does highway kms.

My biggest gripe however is when the pest parker reverses in and makes it almost impossible to get in my driver door. I'm getting too old to crawl over the passenger seat.

Last edited by minheim; 09-04-2022 at 08:36 PM. Reason: typo
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2022, 08:29 PM   #3
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Ours is the new Escape on the right. Sure, not parked perfect but we were away from everyone. The owner of the honda just happened to arrive back at her car just as we did. Out of curiosity I asked what her thought process was in choosing to park where she did. I was kind of genuinely curious, but also be bit annoyed... I got called an idiot for my trouble and was asked if I owned the carpark. Then after she got in to her car she got a bit braver and started abusing me with the window up. No idea what she said
Good on you for saying something. Her reaction is not surprising really, typical of that sort of person. You should be proud you at least made her think about it, and she deserved to get so worked up, hopefully it ruined her day. (Aren't I a nice person. )

As for the angle parkers, just laziness. And yet, I bet they would be very annoyed if someone dinged their doors because the other person couldn't get into/out of their car.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2022, 08:34 PM   #4
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

First one - she's the sort that can't park between lines, needs a car there as a reference.

Basically, uses your car as a guide - so long as she positions her car so it is within striking distance of yours when she opens her door, then she is close to being parked "well". If she can't hit your car with her door then she is too far over.

Your car looks new and unblemished - those cars are the best to use this strike-it-with-your-door-and-you're-parked-good technique.
Mulva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2022, 08:35 PM   #5
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

To be fair, in the first pic, you parked next to the lazy persons park where they just drive straight in. So that is unsurprising honestly.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2022, 08:43 PM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Park in the middle of the white line across two car parks - problem solved
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2022, 09:00 PM   #7
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Psychology. As you said, this happens very frequently. I reckon its to do with a sense of feeling "safe" for some people, mostly those who are used to being around other people. If the car park is big and empty, they might feel safer parking next to someone.

I only became aware of this when another mate of mine would get really upset every time it happened, and started sending me photos. I found it quite funny at first, then realised it was happening to me too. It never used to bother me, but when you become aware of it, it is a bit annoying. Especially when I have the dog with me, and he enters from the passenger side

When I lived in London, I noticed this was happening in lifts and public transport. You could stand in the corner of an empty lift, and the next person coming in will stand right up against you. The bus could be empty in the wee hours of the morning, but someone will come sit right next to you.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-04-2022, 09:01 PM   #8
Itsme
Experienced Member

Don't see a problem with the first one at least she parked correctly giving you space and I do agree with her as I would have told you go f*** yourself, for the others well what do you expect from d*** heads these days.
Remember you are parking in a car park so expect people tp park next to you regardless how full it is.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2022, 09:02 PM   #9
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Park in the middle of the white line across two car parks - problem solved
That is a recipe for a keying.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2022, 09:52 PM   #10
Brodes
Brodes

Mate, I can't stand this, my wife knows all about my passionate hatred for anyone who does this.

One day a few years ago I parked in a far away spot in a fairly bare car park, my wife went in the shop while I remained in the car. A few moments later some clueless nong pulled up really close to the passenger side.... I mean REALLY close, to the point where it was difficult for him to get out of his own car. I could not believe the stupidity, it fired me up to the point where I wound the window down to give him a full-rant serve. My wife mentioned she could hear it from where she was. The guy quickly ceased his attempt of crawling out his narrow gap of a door space and drove away to another park far away from me.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2022, 10:11 PM   #11
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

My wifes 4 hour old Mercedes coupe at the local shopping centre I was in the passenger seat and sat in the car while the wife went into the chemist, a VN commodore pulled up with a load of kids in it, before I could do anything the kids piled out opening their doors into the side of the car, I had the window down partially and let out a WTF the mother just looked at me and kept walking, by the time my wife came back I had settled down a bit, she just said well the first scratch hurts, I felt like jumping all over the VN, but realised it is already worth nothing so I sucked it up, the 2 small dents cost me $200 to have paintless dent removal and you cant even tell.

Its funny I watch a lady in a Pajero every day try to park in a bay near work, I would say she spends up to 20 minutes trying to get it in the bay, most times she just gives up and leaves it wherever it ends up, you can tell that the car is too big for her and she is just not able to manoeuvre it with confidence.
The other day the Day care bus was parked beside her, It took her about 20 minutes to back out she kept getting closer to the bus with each manoeuvre, at 1 point I thought she hit it.
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2022, 10:16 PM   #12
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
My wifes 4 hour old Mercedes coupe at the local shopping centre I was in the passenger seat and sat in the car while the wife went into the chemist, a VN commodore pulled up with a load of kids in it, before I could do anything the kids piled out opening their doors into the side of the car, I had the window down partially and let out a WTF the mother just looked at me and kept walking, by the time my wife came back I had settled down a bit, she just said well the first scratch hurts, I felt like jumping all over the VN, but realised it is already worth nothing so I sucked it up, the 2 small dents cost me $200 to have paintless dent removal and you cant even tell.

Its funny I watch a lady in a Pajero every day try to park in a bay near work, I would say she spends up to 20 minutes trying to get it in the bay, most times she just gives up and leaves it wherever it ends up, you can tell that the car is too big for her and she is just not able to manoeuvre it with confidence.
The other day the Day care bus was parked beside her, It took her about 20 minutes to back out she kept getting closer to the bus with each manoeuvre, at 1 point I thought she hit it.
You are correct in thinking an extra dint on a VN Commodore would not be noticed. However, a flat tyre when she returned to the car would have been!
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2022, 10:25 PM   #13
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Everyone should have a tyre valve tool in their car.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2022, 11:08 PM   #14
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Non permanent damage is the best revenge!
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2022, 11:10 PM   #15
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodes View Post
Mate, I can't stand this, my wife knows all about my passionate hatred for anyone who does this.

One day a few years ago I parked in a far away spot in a fairly bare car park, my wife went in the shop while I remained in the car. A few moments later some clueless nong pulled up really close to the passenger side.... I mean REALLY close, to the point where it was difficult for him to get out of his own car. I could not believe the stupidity, it fired me up to the point where I wound the window down to give him a full-rant serve. My wife mentioned she could hear it from where she was. The guy quickly ceased his attempt of crawling out his narrow gap of a door space and drove away to another park far away from me.

sitting in a carpark [yes in the car ] waiting for the missus to come back from one of the shops ....... i had a car behind me nudge my towball thankfully didn't crack the towball cover . then a few minutes later a suv parks on my passenger side. thought she was gunna slice my front off whilst coming in

then her kid gets out of the rear seat .... door straight in to my side mirror & hard enough to move it [left a mark] so i wind the window down & say Oi watch what your doing. young kid apologises for what happened .......... then the mother comes around and goes what?? oh he apologised so all good..... then walked off .. so tempted to key there car - but i didn't and then i was waiting for the 3rd attempt

and yes i do sometimes park away from other cars .................... someone ALWAYS follows you
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2022, 11:15 PM   #16
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I pretty much never would take the Mustang to a Public Car park for the above reasons.

But if you by a cheaper car that you don't care as much about, you will find it amazing as to where you can park the sucker.

CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2022, 08:41 AM   #17
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
A couple of the most common grievances of many people that are into cars, and some that aren't.

Both of these were at my local bunnings,
Personally I find it easier to not shop at Bunnings or any other big box store.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2022, 08:54 AM   #18
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll sometimes park next to the nice car at the far end of the shopping center, he will most likely look after my car and I'll look after his.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2022, 10:40 AM   #19
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a disabled parking permit as my mobility is RS.
If I have to park in a normal space because there's no disability spots left, I have to park a lot closer to the left hand side of the space so I can open my door all the way to enable me to get out of the car. People often look at my parking and some speak up, but when they see me trying to get out they usually apologise.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2022, 11:30 AM   #20
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

Right there with you on this one Prydey. Drives me absolutely insane.

First photo - my rental car on the left

Car park is L shaped

Second photo is the other side

Very early in the morning so no other cars. As you can see, I park, with no others any where near me. Also know, that the main shopping centres are much further away, hence no other cars parked there. And what do I find when I get back , drives me nuts.

I've also had similar situations where I have parked, along way from anyone else and even before I switch off, I have some nutbag park right next to me. The look on the persons face when I immediately reversed out, then drove to another "free" parking space and then stopped/got out, was priceless.

And yes, I am thinking that it is a security kind of thing. I've had the same deal when going to the movie cinemas (remember those things???) and you'll be the first one one in, sit as far away from the centre/popular seats, and the next idiot comes in and sits within a few spaces. Why Why Why??
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2022, 11:37 AM   #21
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Having a nice or a new car generates a magnetic effect in car parks - other, mainly not so nice cars, get drawn to it.
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2022, 11:39 AM   #22
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paull View Post
Right there with you on this one Prydey. Drives me absolutely insane.

First photo - my rental car on the left

Car park is L shaped

Second photo is the other side

Very early in the morning so no other cars. As you can see, I park, with no others any where near me. Also know, that the main shopping centres are much further away, hence no other cars parked there. And what do I find when I get back , drives me nuts.

I've also had similar situations where I have parked, along way from anyone else and even before I switch off, I have some nutbag park right next to me. The look on the persons face when I immediately reversed out, then drove to another "free" parking space and then stopped/got out, was priceless.

And yes, I am thinking that it is a security kind of thing. I've had the same deal when going to the movie cinemas (remember those things???) and you'll be the first one one in, sit as far away from the centre/popular seats, and the next idiot comes in and sits within a few spaces. Why Why Why??
I might be wrong, but it looks like you've parked in the easy parks as well where people can just drive straight into the park without thinking. If you don't want people parking next to you, don't park in these spots.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2022, 11:50 AM   #23
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
I might be wrong, but it looks like you've parked in the easy parks as well where people can just drive straight into the park without thinking. If you don't want people parking next to you, don't park in these spots.
I don't think it matters. That just happened to be the pic I chose as an example. I've had it regardless of where I park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paull
I have done this as well. I was actually out and about to walk away when someone came and parked next to me. I gave them a 'really?' look, got back in and moved to the next row. There was only the 2 of us parked in hundreds of empty spaces. They didn't seem to catch on I moved due to them.

I've also stood in the empty park next to me to prevent someone trying to park there. I'd just parked (DFO brisbane airport, before the homemaker centre was built opposite and before covid) miles from the main entrance and literally 1000's of empty spaces, and some woman tried to park next to me as I was hopping out. I just stood in the park, and she took a hint. Its crazy.
Old 10-04-2022, 12:25 PM   #24
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

You cant protect your car 24/7, but you can prevent it from being in those situations by buying a ****ter

This is the reason I have a ****ter for those outings where the general public are, park wherever I want, park like a drunk, come back and no one parks near me, I can ratchet strap a couple of lengths of timber to the roof, even though it has no racks, I can drive it over kerbs and just generally mistreat it, I dont care if someone runs into it or opens their door onto it, its worth every bit of the $500 I paid for it and its insured for $3000 .

Last edited by GasoLane; 10-04-2022 at 12:45 PM.
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2022, 12:34 PM   #25
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

One of my sister-in-laws explained that she always parks next to another car as she finds it to hard to see and park between the lines and its easier to align her car with another vehicle. Yes; I was aghast. Edit: and yes she tries to park next to the cars looking the best as she figures the are less likely to open their doors on her car.

Last edited by aussiblue; 10-04-2022 at 12:40 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2022, 12:34 PM   #26
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post
Non permanent damage is the best revenge!
I dont know.... many years ago I caught a bloke exiting his 4WD and hammering his door 3 times into my car is I was walking back towards it. Couldnt believe what I was seeing and gave him a serve. He didnt care so I watched him walk away and returned serve.... I miss wearing steel caps
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2022, 12:35 PM   #27
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford17 View Post
Having a nice or a new car generates a magnetic effect in car parks - other, mainly not so nice cars, get drawn to it.
Completely agree.
Old 10-04-2022, 12:38 PM   #28
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
You cant protect your car 24/7, but you can prevent it from being in those situations by buying a sh!tter

This is the reason I have a sh!tter for those outings where the general public are, park wherever I want, park like a drunk, come back and no one parks near me, I can ratchet strap a couple of lengths of timber to the roof, even though it has no racks, I can drive it over kerbs and just generally mistreat it, I dont care if someone runs into it or opens their door onto it, its worth every bit of the $500 I paid for it and its insured for $3000 .
Recently bought a cheapie to use for these trips and it feels nice not having to be concerned about all those things that normally stress you like opening doors, rim rash, etc. I'd probably still use a roofrack though
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2022, 12:56 PM   #29
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I believe its a sick absession with inconveniencing other people.
She would have seen youve parked there for the very purpose of seperating your nice new car from the nufties and decided to spoil your party.
Its like the idiots I encounter on the Northern expressway everyday. Will sit next to a truck doing 100 in the dual lanes whilst everyone banks up behind them and then as soon as it becomes 3 lanes they accelerate up to 110 as the 3rd lane means the game is up.
You can tell its deliberate as they spend more time looking at you through the rear view mirror for a reaction than looking forward.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2022, 01:13 PM   #30
Brodes
Brodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post

Its like the idiots I encounter on the Northern expressway everyday. Will sit next to a truck doing 100 in the dual lanes whilst everyone banks up behind them and then as soon as it becomes 3 lanes they accelerate up to 110 as the 3rd lane means the game is up.

You can tell its deliberate as they spend more time looking at you through the rear view mirror for a reaction than looking forward.
Mate, one morning on my way to work down McIntyre turning into Main North, I've seen some douche tailgate aggressively, cut others off, etc. Then the next set of lights, I see this guy readjust his dash cam. Seemed to me he may have been trying to get shots to edit for Dashcams Australia.

Sorry for the Segway.