Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-10-2016, 06:12 PM   #1
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default New Mercedes-AMG E63 revealed

Quote:
New Mercedes-AMG E63 revealed

New four-door performance sedan packs more power to make it AMG's fastest accelerating series production model yet.

25 October 2016
Greg Kable

2017 Mercedes-AMG E63 S. Photo: Daimler AG - Global Communications Mercedes-Benz Cars

Mercedes-Benz's AMG performance car division has unveiled the third-generation E63, claiming the plush new sedan is the fastest accelerating model it has ever produced with an official 0-100km/h time of just 3.4sec in top-of-the-line S 4Matic+ guise.

Revealed in a series of official photographs ahead of a planned public debut at AutoMobility LA (formerly the Los Angeles auto show) in mid-November, the new E63 also holds the distinction of being the most powerful series production four-door model to ever wear the revered AMG name.

Fitted with the latest evolution of AMG's twin-turbocharged 4.0-litre V8 petrol engine, the new Mercedes-AMG model will be sold in two distinct versions. In standard E63 4Matic+ form it offers 420kW and 750Nm of torque. The most popular version of the rapid AMG sedan in Australia, however, is expected to be the range-topping E63 S 4Matic+, which with added turbocharger boost pressure and other power enhancing tweaks packs a stout 450kW and 850Nm.

To put this into context, the recently unveiled BMW M5 Competition Edition's twin-turbocharged 4.4-litre V8 engine serves up 441kW and 700Nm, while the Audi RS7 Performance's twin-turbocharged 4.0-litre V8 kicks out 445kW and 750Nm.

The new engine, which is mounted on dynamic mounts in E63 S 4Matic+ to suppress weight transfer under throttle load changes, replaces the older twin-turbocharged 5.5-litre V8 used in the outgoing second-generation E63, providing the standard model with an added 10kW and 40Nm and the S with an extra 20kW and 50Nm over its predecessor.

This endows the new 1880kg E63 S 4Matic+ with a weight-to-power ratio of 4.2kg per kW.

For the first time, AMG has fitted its 4.0-litre V8 with a pair of new twin-scroll turbocharger for use in the E63 in a move claimed to improve the induction boosting properties, combustion efficiency and further enhance throttle response.

In its most extreme state of tune, as fitted to the E63 S 4Matic+, the new engine develops a specific output of 113kW per litre – some 12.7kW per litre more than the engine powering the M5 Competition Edition and 2kW more than the unit used by the RS7 Performance.

In another new development brought to the E63, the 90-degree powerplant also receives AMG's Cylinder Management, as first introduced on the superseded SLK55, for added fuel savings on part throttle loads. In city driving, four cylinders are deactivated between 1000 and 3250rpm when the engine is switched to comfort mode.

As in other recent AMG models, the driver can choose between four driving modes: comfort, sport, sport plus and individual via a Dynamic Select button on the centre console. In comfort mode, a coast function decouples the engine from the gearbox on extended periods of trailing throttle at speeds between 60 and 160km/h for great fuel efficiency. A fifth driving mode, race, is also included on the E63 S 4Matic+.

The new E63's increased reserves are channelled through a new nine-speed Speedshift MCT (Multi Clutch Technology) automatic gearbox featuring a so-called wet start off clutch and steering wheel mounted shift paddles. Further driveline developments include a mechanical differential lock for the E63 4Matic+ and faster acting electronic differential lock on the E63 S 4Matic+.

As their names suggest, both new E63 models will also be sold exclusively with a new engineered AMG Performance 4Matic+ four-wheel drive system offering fully variable distribution of drive between the front and rear wheels for the first time.

Official performance figures supplied by AMG put the 0-100km/h time of the E63 4Matic+ at 3.5sec, with the added 30kW and 100Nm of the E63 S 4Matic+ helping to shave an extra 0.1sec off that mark at just 3.4sec.

By comparison, the rear-wheel drive BMW M5 Competition Edition and four-wheel drive Audi RS7 Performance boast respective 0-100km/h times of 3.9sec and 3.7sec. Meanwhile, the top speed of both new E63 models is limited to 250km/h. As in the past though, buyers can specify an optional AMG Driver's Package that extends their maximum potential to a limited 300km/h.

Despite the adoption of four-wheel drive on both new E63 models, AMG says it has ensured the iconic four-door retains its reputation for promoting oversteer when the conditions allow through the inclusion of a what it calls Drift mode. Activated by the shift paddles, it prompts the four-wheel drive system to deliver drive exclusively to the rear wheels, remaining engaged until the driver deactivates it.

Underpinning the AMG's latest model is a specially tuned version of the sixth-generation E-class's Air Body Control suspension system allied to unique track widths and wheel carriers. Together, they are claimed to provide the new E63 with greater camber control than its predecessor in a move AMG says elevates the car's handling prowess.

Further upgrades are focused at the brake system. It uses cross drilled 360mm steel discs with six pot calipers up front and cross drilled 360mm steel discs with single pot calipers at the rear on the E63 4Matic+, with the E63 S 4Matic+ receiving larger cross drilled 390mm steel discs up front. Optional cross drilled ceramic carbon discs on both models measure 402mm up front and 360mm at the rear.

AMG has provided the new E63 with a comprehensive styling package that not only toughens its appearance but also helps to set it further apart from lesser E-Class models than previous generations of the fast four-door.

Included is a uniquely styled front end featuring an E63 specific grille, front bumper, bonnet and front fenders – the latter housing wheel arches that extend 17mm beyond those of the standard E-Class to house the new car's wider front track and 20-inch wheels shod with 265/35 front and 295/30 tyres (standard on the E63 S 4Matic+ and optional on the E63 4Matic+).

The changes up front are combined with black exterior mirror housings, wider sills, boot deck mounted spoiler, new rear bumper and four traditional trapezoidal shaped tail pipes.

The new E63 will be launched in sedan bodystyle first, with a wagon variant set to be introduced to selected global markets, including Australia, shortly afterwards. Pricing is yet to be announced, although officials suggest it will come at a premium to the outgoing model, which goes for $249,900 (plus on-road costs).

Mercedes-AMG E63 S specifications

Price: From $265,000 (estimate)

On-sale: Mid 2017

Engine: 4.0-litre twin-turbocharged V8 petrol

Power: 450kW

Torque: 850Nm

Transmission: Nine-speed automatic, all-wheel drive

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/n...25-gs9uni.html
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 27-10-2016, 06:20 PM   #2
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New Mercedes-AMG E63 revealed

Interesting interior, I'd like to see that in person...pushing the boundaries.

450kw 4.0 Turbo...850NM...

Would be nice to have the kind of cash that you could just pick up the phone and place an order.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-10-2016, 06:40 PM   #3
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Interesting interior, I'd like to see that in person...pushing the boundaries.

450kw 4.0 Turbo...850NM...

Would be nice to have the kind of cash that you could just pick up the phone and place an order.

These will give you a rough idea of what’s the interior will look like.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-10-2016, 07:09 PM   #4
Joel.
Lost Focus In The Sunset

Looks incredible. Love a white interior but I reckon a white wheel would look pretty crap quick.
Joel. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 09:16 PM   #5
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whats with the stuck on tablet dash setup, is that a pre production model or something ??
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-10-2016, 09:26 PM   #6
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Speechless. What a stunning saloon. Incredible looks and performance.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-10-2016, 09:54 PM   #7
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks like an iPad walked into a blue light disco......
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 09:58 PM   #8
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
When they released that model with the colour changing led strip thingy, one of the buildings that I'm the sparky in fitted out 2 lift cars with that interior. It was weird. Nice car, but the led thing is distracting, even when in a lift
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 11:01 PM   #9
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
I agree that the tacked-on iPad look is a bit off. I'm also not sure about the full digital instrument cluster. Other than that I think the car is amazing.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 11:06 PM   #10
Trump
bitch lasagne

It is very underwhelming to look at, but that could work in its favour. If it is as fast as they reckon, it will be THE performance sedan bar none.

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-10-2016, 11:32 PM   #11
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Awesome car but styling wise, the whole droopy angles wreck it for me. Would still buy a Porsche ahead of it
4 users like this post:
Old 28-10-2016, 12:26 AM   #12
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Awesome car but styling wise, the whole droopy angles wreck it for me. Would still buy a Porsche ahead of it
The new trend is re-using the same design for the entire range? Looks like a C-Class. Front looks alright but I can't live with that ugly droopy rear end.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2016, 10:21 AM   #13
adz137

Wow, this has now overtaken the Audi RS6 as my favourite dream family car.
adz137 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2016, 10:28 AM   #14
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
I'd definitely take a Porsche too.
I don't mind the exterior of the E63, in the flesh the pumped guards and the rear treatment that AMG do does help.
It is that interior that is horrible, sorry Merc/AMG but I don't like it at all. I much prefer the Audi and BMW interiors, subtle and more sophisticated.

Would I say no to an E63? Not likely.
Old 28-10-2016, 10:34 AM   #15
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by adz137 View Post
Wow, this has now overtaken the Audi RS6 as my favourite dream family car.
I love fast wagons - how nice would of XR6T wagon been ?
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2016, 01:18 PM   #16
adz137

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
I love fast wagons - how nice would of XR6T wagon been ?
XR6T wagon would have been awesome, great sleeper.
adz137 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2016, 01:57 PM   #17
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At least we got to see the potential in the Territory Turbo.

A low-slung wagon with AWD and the turbo 4.0L would be a killer on the road. Paint it yellow & go hunting Skylines & WRXs...
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2016, 02:27 PM   #18
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
The new trend is re-using the same design for the entire range? Looks like a C-Class. Front looks alright but I can't live with that ugly droopy rear end.
I was thinking that as well.. C, S and now E Class all look the bloody same... They all look good in my eyes but still..

E63 is one car that, given the funds, I would get in a heartbeat..

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2016, 02:29 PM   #19
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Cute little car.

The steering wheel looks like ET laughing.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2016, 07:08 PM   #20
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
I was thinking that as well.. C, S and now E Class all look the bloody same... They all look good in my eyes but still..
Same as the Audi range, an A3 is a A4 is a A6 is a A8...............

Thats great for the person who buys a A3 but what about the person who drops big dollars on a A6 or A8?
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-10-2016, 10:44 PM   #21
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Same as the Audi range, an A3 is a A4 is a A6 is a A8...............

Thats great for the person who buys a A3 but what about the person who drops big dollars on a A6 or A8?
Bmw did this in the early days, and after 2000 they did the right thing making a 3,5 and 7 completely different from each other. Now they have gone back to their lazy ways and the new 3,5 and 7 are all just small medium and large variants of the same bloody design...
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2016, 10:57 PM   #22
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow that is a very nice car, always loved the AMGs and Aussie market is one of the biggest by the way. I could not afford one anytime soon unless I hit the lotto. I'd love a C63 AMG. Pure car pron!

But what has what got me is that I'm a tech guy and that is how I make my living but I really don't like it getting too much involved with what I'm driving which is weird

Geez I thought having the tacho as the middle gauge was the ducks nuts haha
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post