Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-10-2016, 06:55 PM   #1
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default The days for Cheap Performance Cars Numbered.

I own a 2007 BF Typhoon R-spec as a daily, bought with 50,000 on the ODO for $26K, she just ticked over 70,000 now. Performance bargain really...

So the driver's side front wheel bearing went and was making god awful noise. Against all my normal judgement I booked it into a highly recommended local independent mechanic to fix, as I don't have the time to do it myself for a few weeks.....I also had new EBC rotors and EBC pads sitting in the garage but had not had time to fit them either, so asked mechanic to fit them while he has it in pieces anyway.

Mechanic rings in the arvo..."she's good to go", I ask the price and I prepare for the worst.." Ahh let me see"...."$362.00" comes the answer.

WOW.....what a bargain, I would not bother to go buy parts than spend Saturday stuck under a car to save maybe 150 bucks.

I toy with the idea of buying a Euro often, S3 or S4, RS3....

If I had to do the above on an Audi, I'd be looking at $2,500+ bill for sure.

I now know my next replacement car after the BF....FGII F6.

Just a reminder I guess how good we had / have it with our local performance cars.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2016, 07:49 PM   #2
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The days for Cheap Performance Cars Numbered.

what ever you do dont let it go further than toying with the Euro idea
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2016, 08:14 PM   #3
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vxc View Post
what ever you do dont let it go further than toying with the Euro idea

I dunno, I've got an FGII F6, but I'd also love an Audi A5 or S5.
Old 20-10-2016, 08:31 PM   #4
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Just a reminder I guess how good we had / have it with our local performance cars.
We use our "good" car for two or three long trips per year - usually 4 - 5K kms per trip to some out of the way places. Perth return next Easter...

The advantage of Fords and Holdens is that parts (original and aftermarket) are readily available.

The idea of waiting for a radiator to be shipped out from Iceland or wherever for my Eurocar doesn't sit well with me.

I honestly don't know what I'm going to do when it's all over.

Try not to hit roos I guess...

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2016, 08:39 PM   #5
Trump
bitch lasagne

Look up what's involved (and the cost) in replacing the timing chain on an Audi S4 with the 4.2L V8...

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2016, 08:41 PM   #6
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

So how will parts go in a few years time? Will anyone be crazy enough to step up and make repo parts? It wont get any cheaper than it is now.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2016, 08:49 PM   #7
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
So how will parts go in a few years time? Will anyone be crazy enough to step up and make repo parts? It wont get any cheaper than it is now.
The modern Fords don't have the aura of the hero models from the 60's and 70's. As such, repro parts might not happen as the financial incentive won't be there. To top it off, once Ford decides it will no longer produce spares, I think it will be the wreckers or nothing.

This user likes this post:
Old 20-10-2016, 08:59 PM   #8
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Consumables will be fine for a long time.

There will be issues potentially especially for FPVs in the event of an accident, you may be struggling to find an FPV bar or side skirt etc even second hand.

But that would always be a problem, try and find a EL XR front bar...
Old 20-10-2016, 09:32 PM   #9
RegSpec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can sympathize there.......I've also got a BF Rspec.....125000klms.
I usually use my wife's Territory for running around local (trying to keep the K's down on the Typhoon)......
New ride....07' RSpec manual Typhoon in Winter White....factory sunroof, Premium sound, Process West intercooler, upsized tubing, valve springs, 1000cc injectors, Delphi intank pump,*modified turbo, 4" dump, 5" cat, dual 2 1/2" Xforce exhaust, Mal Wood Opt 5 clutch, Herrod shifter, Ozrace coilovers with adj. Whiteline bars, 6 spot Brembos,
Edit by Crescent Motorsport.....382rwkws @ 1150nms on E85....
RegSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2016, 09:57 PM   #10
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
Look up what's involved (and the cost) in replacing the timing chain on an Audi S4 with the 4.2L V8...
Pffffft.....
That's nothing compared to the cost of this highly sought after key chain thingy...

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/18231720306...51&_mwBanner=1

And almost 20.00 postage.!....

Second hand FPV parts are going to be the next big wrought of the century. I'm thinking it will make the 70's GT parts look like a bargain.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2016, 11:24 PM   #11
xr6-FTW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My time at bmw was enough to let you know why you shouldn't buy a euro car. Unless your earning some serious big bucks and can change cars every few years then I wouldn't worry about it. I quoted numerous jobs running into the thousand and tens of thousands. I remember this m3 I think it was an 09 model with twin throttle bodys being a v8, anyway they stuffed up due to some little crappy plastic breaking mind you these could be changed for 100 bucks with a kit off ebay, but being bmw nut you throw it out and get new ones for a price of 2 grand each lol. Don't get me started on how much batteries are, new bmws use agm batteries that are like 600 bucks minimum, don't use one trying to save money will bite you in the ***. The one serious draw back heading into the future with these new cars is the type of electrical equipment these cars are fitted with. They are that complicated that numerous things fail, resulting in thousands being needed. All cars will get to this stage but unfortunately.

edit: That also reminds me, I had my harmonic balancer done on my bf2 xr6 recently and the difference in price is funny, 150 bucks for mine compared to a bmw one that costs about 950 bucks.
xr6-FTW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2016, 11:44 PM   #12
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr6-FTW View Post
My time at bmw was enough to let you know why you shouldn't buy a euro car. Unless your earning some serious big bucks and can change cars every few years then I wouldn't worry about it. I quoted numerous jobs running into the thousand and tens of thousands. I remember this m3 I think it was an 09 model with twin throttle bodys being a v8, anyway they stuffed up due to some little crappy plastic breaking mind you these could be changed for 100 bucks with a kit off ebay, but being bmw nut you throw it out and get new ones for a price of 2 grand each lol. Don't get me started on how much batteries are, new bmws use agm batteries that are like 600 bucks minimum, don't use one trying to save money will bite you in the ***. The one serious draw back heading into the future with these new cars is the type of electrical equipment these cars are fitted with. They are that complicated that numerous things fail, resulting in thousands being needed. All cars will get to this stage but unfortunately.

edit: That also reminds me, I had my harmonic balancer done on my bf2 xr6 recently and the difference in price is funny, 150 bucks for mine compared to a bmw one that costs about 950 bucks.
There are two things that are vital for owning BMW's second hand:

- Immaculate service history is a must, one owner examples are preferable.
- Sourcing parts from overseas is very important to keep costs manageable.

Otherwise they become colossal money pits. I have an E60 530i and in the two and a bit years I've had it, all it has needed besides servicing is front upper shock mounts (cost me $30 each from the US, otherwise $165 each from a local BMW dealer).

3 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2016, 07:36 AM   #13
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I found my Audis to be very reliable and solid, I only had one visit to the dealer between 2 cars over 8 years of ownership.

That visit did cost 650 to chance a crank case PCV Valve.

The only upside is car got a nice wash, the valet had an expensive haircut and the guy tearing me a new A/hole at the customer service counter was wearing a suit.

I'll stick to Falcons for as long as it is feasible though....
3 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2016, 07:47 AM   #14
EGOG6ET

Just had the timing chains replaced in my twin turbo V8 BMW. Was told it would take a week, 6 weeks later I got the car back. Luckly it was still under warranty, parts list was 6 pages long. Asked the service adviser how much it would have cost if not under warranty, he said you wouldn't get much change out of 15k.
EGOG6ET is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2016, 09:09 AM   #15
xr6-FTW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah that reminds me when I was there, mind you it wasnt that long like 3 months, there was an x5 which fuel system needed entire changing over due to stuffing up costing 16k in parts, luckily I was told it would be done through insurance. And also there was an 08 7 series which was there for weeks. Basically the entire drive line and engine was ripped out for these problems and it resulted up costing 23k in parts and about another 10k in labour. Mind you that costumer was willing to pay to fix the car despite the issue probably happening again one day, forget what it was though, all I remember was the mechanic being that stressed out.
xr6-FTW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2016, 09:27 AM   #16
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
I found my Audis to be very reliable and solid, I only had one visit to the dealer between 2 cars over 8 years of ownership.

That visit did cost 650 to chance a crank case PCV Valve.

The only upside is car got a nice wash, the valet had an expensive haircut and the guy tearing me a new A/hole at the customer service counter was wearing a suit.

I'll stick to Falcons for as long as it is feasible though....
I know someone on here that is a gun at replacing PCV valves...

7 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2016, 11:46 AM   #17
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OP no offence but all you done was a wheel bearing and fitted discs and pads you'd already purchased. I don't see how you could expect a bill in the thousands.

Quote:
Ah that reminds me when I was there, mind you it wasnt that long like 3 months, there was an x5 which fuel system needed entire changing over due to stuffing up costing 16k in parts, luckily I was told it would be done through insurance. And also there was an 08 7 series which was there for weeks. Basically the entire drive line and engine was ripped out for these problems and it resulted up costing 23k in parts and about another 10k in labour. Mind you that costumer was willing to pay to fix the car despite the issue probably happening again one day, forget what it was though, all I remember was the mechanic being that stressed out.
Sounds like somebody put unleaded in their diesel X5, that's the only way a complete fuel system has to be changed front to back and can have insurance cover it. Also if somebody has paid 23k in parts and 10k in labour for a 7 series repair they have a terrible mechanic. They're no different to any other BMW. Take it to a dealership, let them diagnose it properly, fix it with their special tools and save $20k.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2016, 12:22 PM   #18
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ah that reminds me when I was there, mind you it wasnt that long like 3 months, there was an x5 which fuel system needed entire changing over due to stuffing up costing 16k in parts, luckily I was told it would be done through insurance. .

mmm petrol in the diesel, lucky to get insurance to cover.
I've heard for a Ford Dealer to do the same of a Territory Diesel they want over 20K.

Its the plight of Modern diesels nothing to do with Being Euro.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2016, 12:23 PM   #19
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a Falcon, gf has an Audi.

I had my Falcon serviced through Ford. It was cap priced, but they didn't charge any less than the cap. The Audi was quite expensive.

Local mechanic with good reviews, came in about half the price for the Falcon (in the end I didn't get it done there. When I was talking to the guy about it he asked if it was a V6), and the Audi (which my gf did get serviced there) was pretty much the same price as quoted for the Falcon.

Actual repairs? Well, some bushings needed replacing and from memory, Ford wanted 4 times the price I eventually paid elsewhere).
The gf's Audi needs a repair (handle for the seat adjustment lever), couple hundred at Audi, $30 from the local mechanic, he just has to order the part from Audi, and they have it in stock.

Absolutely the euros will sting you if you go to the dealer, but what, Ford doesn't?
I read far more about the Ford 'stealerships' ripping people off than anything positive on this forum.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2016, 01:36 PM   #20
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Like certain girlfriends/wives you don't know how good you had it till you've lost it.
Hipo Falcons are going to be a huge loss for many of us.
I did the euro ownership long ago and learn t once out of WTY look out ! Some are lucky some not.
Sure I could afford it but its the principle - you can't tell me even just servicing consumables that a air filter is worth more than $60 + wiper blades $60 + etcetc......
Call me a tight **** but I know what these type of items and more such as brake pads/rotors etcetc cost to make. A friggin RORT !
Lucky to have 2 hipo Falcons but when looking to step into a new beast in the future reluctantly maybe back to a euro :(
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"

Last edited by FTE217; 21-10-2016 at 01:42 PM.
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2016, 01:37 PM   #21
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah.Just got a letter from the dealer reminding me that it is 6 months since the Ranger was serviced.4000ks since last service so it won't be getting done for a while.Special price was only $199 if its a passenger vehicle but because it's a commercial price jumps to ONLY $299.What is the difference? still has a filter and 6-7 litres of oil just like a car.Mechanic down the road knows more than dealership techs will ever know and charges about $100 and does the job properly.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2016, 01:54 PM   #22
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Recently paid $2500 for brakes and $1500 for 6 coil packs on a Volvo S80.

That's using a specialist not the dealer.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2016, 02:24 PM   #23
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Recently paid $2500 for brakes and $1500 for 6 coil packs on a Volvo S80.

That's using a specialist not the dealer.
Do you think you might have got touched up? Ebay about $600-800 for brakes and $300-400 for coils plus labour.Good mechanic should be able to change discs and pads in a couple of hours,less to change coil packs,maybe $500-600 labour charge.Maybe around $1500 all up.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2016, 02:24 PM   #24
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 5 cylinder in the rs3 does sound awesome though.

FG XR6T SILHOUETTE - 380rwkw
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2016, 03:43 PM   #25
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Do you think you might have got touched up? Ebay about $600-800 for brakes and $300-400 for coils plus labour.Good mechanic should be able to change discs and pads in a couple of hours,less to change coil packs,maybe $500-600 labour charge.Maybe around $1500 all up.
I only use genuine parts. - now.

Tried a cheap coil pack and it very nearly blew the motor.
That was another large cost, repairing the damage done by cheap parts.

Can't go and buy brake parts from off the shelf, car runs a big brake package.
Mechanic will use off the shelf parts where he can but he is very limited.
I recently changed the front shocks, luckily I could get away with aftermarket for that instead of having to use Sachs.

Did I get touched up? You betcha - that's the problem with these cars.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.

Last edited by Mercury Bullet; 21-10-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2016, 05:09 PM   #26
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Don't get me started on how much batteries are, new bmws use agm batteries that are like 600 bucks minimum, don't use one trying to save money will bite you in the ***.
Last year I had the battery replaced in my twin turbo pocket rocket and even though the car is a couple of years out of warranty BMW replaced it free of charge because it shouldn't have failed with such low miles on the car.

The car is driven a few times a week and gets a trip to Sydney and back almost each month.

I asked how much would a battery normally cost me and he said $497.58.

I wrote it on the invoice for future reference.

Last edited by Express; 21-10-2016 at 05:14 PM. Reason: spelling
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2016, 07:31 PM   #27
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

The aspect that seems most bizarre to me is that many of our fellow Australians don't even know or care what we're letting go of. It's madness.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2016, 08:23 PM   #28
f6_mark

[QUOTE=Bluey-GT;5793342]Pffffft.....
That's nothing compared to the cost of this highly sought after key chain thingy...

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/18231720306...51&_mwBanner=1

And almost 20.00 postage.!....

Paying $500 plus for a key ring is madness. I purchased a new one in the for sale section off Pedro for $20 about 6 months ago.
f6_mark is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2016, 08:58 PM   #29
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG50T View Post
OP no offence but all you done was a wheel bearing and fitted discs and pads you'd already purchased. I don't see how you could expect a bill in the thousands.
Agree, but read my post again, I was not expecting thousands.

My reference to thousands was in relation the Euro Performance cars.

Even ignoring the brakes, roll in to the dealer with a C63, M5, or RS4 and ask for new wheel bearings...my guess is you'll be raped with no Vaso.

So the point is, even if you stretch to get a performance Euro now that the Aussies are nearly gone, it will be a very expensive ride....purchase price, depreciation and service and repairs.
Old 21-10-2016, 09:10 PM   #30
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Agree, but read my post again, I was not expecting thousands.

My reference to thousands was in relation the Euro Performance cars.

Even ignoring the brakes, roll in to the dealer with a C63, M5, or RS4 and ask for new wheel bearings...my guess is you'll be raped with no Vaso.

So the point is, even if you stretch to get a performance Euro now that the Aussies are nearly gone, it will be a very expensive ride....purchase price, depreciation and service and repairs.
What do you mean by depreciation? My boss just traded his 2012 bmw x6 50i with its 4.4l twin turbo v8, all the boxes ticked, 44 thousand on the clock, a number of trips back to the dealership with sensor faults, for 60k. It cost 160k. To me that sounds like the worst financial decision ever. Atleast it was tax deductible I guess..
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post