Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-09-2016, 01:04 PM   #61
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Tickford on the comeback??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
Truer words never spoken.
Goes to show how little Ford have recognised and respected their dedicated buyers and followers over the decades.
They've made many of us very cynical about their products and joint ventures...
Kind of makes you consider who the real boofheads are here...

(FYI ive owned an xr6, an xr8 now an F6... )

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-09-2016, 01:31 PM   #62
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon SXR8 View Post
So sick of this rot with ford I can't believe there trying to bring the tickford name back What are these idiots thinking............ they dumped the tickford name went fpv now were back to tickford???? All this time and they keep repeating the same mistakes of the past.

Leave the tickford name in the past for goodness sake, leave it with some dignity. If were gunna have tickford rangers why not go the whole hog and have a GTHO edition with some super roos stuck all over it?? will go great with those supercheap exhaust tips they threw on Seeing as were bringing back names from the past who wouldn't give there left one for a ford tickford gtho wildtrack ranger "fairmont" edition ???? Yep bring fairmont back as well
Its not Ford, its Prodrive reviving the name.

FPV/FPR trade marks are owned by ford.

Prodrive bought Tickford when the group collapsed and re-branded it.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2016, 01:35 PM   #63
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
What?

Tickford have a huge heritage...aside from the falcons, there is the Capri Turbo, 2002 Mustang just here in Australia...

Tickford are partially responsible for the turbo barra...gave us the greatest Windsor engine this side of the Boss 302...

Tickford done the RS500!

1820 Salmon & sons horse drawn carriages, Tickford Abbey. Later, car bodies. Known as 'Tickford bodies'.
1922-5 built cars badged 'NP'
1920's added Laundaulette roofs 'Tickford all weather roof'
1942 becomes Tickford Limited
Postwar builds prototype & production bodies for Aston Martin, Daimler, Humber, Land Rover, Healey
1955 David Brown purchase, part of 'Aston Martin Lagunda'. A Lemans win in this time.
1975, 80 ownership changes
1981 Engineering consultancy arm 'Aston Martin Tickford Limited'
Tickford Capri
Jag XJ-SC cabriolet
RS200 Group B cars
1987 Ford purchase
1991 TVE forms, begins work on LPG (cashflow) and the EBII S-XR6, Clubsprint, EB GT... the rest is history

I think parent Tickford is still around in the UK?

Special thing about Tickford for me is that it was both an engineering enterprise (local talent, UK resources as well) that value added the domestic product of the time, and produced some fine road cars - and it was the place where the changes were fitted post-Ford production line. A little bit of bespoke 'specialness' that was tangible in how it drove. The XR6's lost this with the BA as no dedicated motors, all work done on the Ford line.
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2016, 02:24 PM   #64
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by baboon View Post
From what I've read, Ford Australia are not backing the new Tickford...
Ahhh that makes more sense
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2016, 05:55 PM   #65
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post

I think parent Tickford is still around in the UK?

Nope, Prodrive bought all of it...but i under stand in the UK the name was revived and used again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Special thing about Tickford for me is that it was both an engineering enterprise (local talent, UK resources as well) that value added the domestic product of the time, and produced some fine road cars - and it was the place where the changes were fitted post-Ford production line. A little bit of bespoke 'specialness' that was tangible in how it drove. The XR6's lost this with the BA as no dedicated motors, all work done on the Ford line.

Yes, people have short memories. Tickford was the greatest thing to happen in ages for Ford. And really, Tickford Vehicle engineering survied a good 10 years.

Only blot on the time line is the marketing of FTE range, good intentions, but not well received. This is where FPV came in, rebranded to be more aggressive in competition with HSV (FTE was meant to be a "refined package")......but at the end of the day, work done by Tickford/FTE became FPV...and it was the same core group of people (including David Flint who headed both).

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 21-09-2016, 05:59 PM   #66
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post

Only blot on the time line is the marketing of FTE range, good intentions, but not well received. This is where FPV came in, rebranded to be more aggressive in competition with HSV (FTE was meant to be a "refined package")......but at the end of the day, work done by Tickford/FTE became FPV...and it was the same core group of people (including David Flint who headed both).
I remember seeing a photo of an early BA XR6 Turbo with Tickford wing graphics on the dials.

The FTE approach was also very limiting with regards to what dealers had to do become a FTE outlet.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2016, 01:13 PM   #67
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I read in the Tickford book that FTE caused other dealerships to option up XR8s and drastically lower their profit margin in order to lure buyers away from FTE and keep sales going, to try and keep shifting XR8s. This may have left a few bad feelings between dealerships and/or Ford itself.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2016, 02:28 PM   #68
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin View Post
I read in the Tickford book that FTE caused other dealerships to option up XR8s and drastically lower their profit margin in order to lure buyers away from FTE and keep sales going, to try and keep shifting XR8s. This may have left a few bad feelings between dealerships and/or Ford itself.
Makes sense and is possibly the reason why many XR8s where dealer fitted with Azzuros including mine, just to shift them by the looks and compete with Ts.
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2016, 02:57 PM   #69
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Imagine if there had been a model which sat somewhere between the Falcon XR8 and the FTE range, and had a regular Falcon-style front end rather than the Tickford quad nose.

I have always considered that not everyone wanted the full-on sports look of the XR6/8, while the Falcon S was a bit underdone, and some people couldn't go up to the FTE range, so apparently Tickford-optioned Fairmont Ghias were also becoming a problem for XR6/8 sales.

If such an intermediate V8 model had been introduced, it would have been another spanner thrown into the works but perhaps might have satisfied an amount of buyers who otherwise turned to Holden.

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Old 22-09-2016, 04:12 PM   #70
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden did that with the SV8 ... had the V8, but not the trim of the SS. Didnt sell.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2016, 07:17 AM   #71
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I never got the Tickford thing, every XR produced was a Tickford, it was never anything special IMO and never had a huge Heritage.

FPV was an "exclusive" brand at least.
Tickford XR6s were more than just XTs with bodykits, and then there were the XR8s, limited run GTs and the T-Series. Ragging on something you don't get is nonsensical, rather than simply asking why? It's why these forums are a war zone most of the time! :P
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2016, 09:28 AM   #72
GT0336
GT Pilot

Received this in an email from Supercheap this morning.

LOWERED WITH BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS SPRINGS, CUSTOM QUAD EXHAUST, PACEMAKER HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, CAI, 80MM THROTTLE BODY, SHAKER, FACTORY SAT NAV, REVERSE CAMERA, CUSTOM ALPINE/DLS SOUND SYSTEM. CUSTOM GT-P LEATHER SEATS BY LEATHER-FX.
TUNED BY SPIRO AT AUTOTECH - 287.9 RWKW
Build Thread

2009 SY FPV F6X

2017 Mustang GT
GT0336 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2016, 04:53 PM   #73
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Wonderful! Waste of branding history on the new crap they sell. Tickford Ranger? Guess it will sell with large rims with fake beadlockers as that's what the general public like to buy so they can tear up tracks and pretend their big men and they don't have to visit ARB for it!

Rip Tickford, no soul or substance, what a sellout.

I will hate to see it on a Mustang, the yanks can still go shove it up their clackers.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2016, 07:30 PM   #74
xr6per

The new crap they sell?? Most of the time the Ranger is the third most sold car in Australia, and get rave reviews from all the motoring writers. The Mustang is the top two seller for FORD in Australia and also get good reviews.
I don't think my 2016 Wildtrak is "crap" as you describe it, and neither is the Mustang.
You may like your old Fairmont and Fairline, but that doesn't make new cars crap.

A lot of people spend big on mods on Rangers and Mustangs, and they just want to tap into that marked like lots of other people. If using the Tickford name on a Ranger is right or wrong, I am still not sure about, but time will tell if people will warm to it.
xr6per is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 26-09-2016, 07:39 PM   #75
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Not all are great. We have one in the family. Pretty insulting for ford to say the suspension is in spec even though it's sagged at least an inch. New suspension is over $2k. Amongst other things. I would say they're fine till warranty runs out but warranty is useless if all issues are in spec.
Goes good though.
Can't trust nothing new these days, made to break or to complex and fragile.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2016, 09:06 PM   #76
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does this kill the chance of there ever being a Ranger Raptor?
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2016, 07:58 PM   #77
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Tickford to make a return thru Prodrive

http://www.speedcafe.com/2016/10/04/...-road-car-arm/

Prodrive launches Tickford road car arm

Quote:
Supercars team Prodrive Racing Australia has formally launched its new Tickford road car arm.
The revived Tickford will offer aftermarket parts packages for Ford products, starting with the high-volume Ranger.
Mustang packages will be added later this year, boasting a range of engine, handling and styling options.
PRA’s existing base in Campbellfield will be used to house Tickford’s Melbourne base, with Sydney and Brisbane workshops also planned.
The Tickford brand had been discontinued in 2001 ahead of the formation of the now defunct Prodrive/Ford partnership, Ford Performance Vehicles.
PRA CEO is adamant that Tickford can succeed in the busy aftermarket parts and packages sector.
Tickford’s launch comes ahead of Ford’s closure of Australian manufacturing operations on Friday.
“We’ve been working for nearly two years, away from the public eye, to ensure we developed a strong business model with a set of guiding principles which allows us to develop and deliver premium products,” said Edwards.
“The Australian vehicle personalisation market has a long and well-credentialed history, but we felt the time was right to provide a fresh take on things and give Blue Oval fans something extra to be passionate about.
“We’re lucky to have class-leading product in Ranger and Mustang to start our personalisation program.
“This has allowed us to focus strongly on component development and testing so we come to market with components tested to manufacturers’ standard and backed by our own warranty.
“This ensures the best possible product and maximum peace-of-mind for our customers.”
PRA is set to continue to run its FG X Falcon Supercars without factory Ford support next season.
Edwards has previously expressed hope of eventually securing backing to develop a Mustang race car, but has ruled out any chance of it happening for 2017.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2016, 10:07 PM   #78
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Tickford to make a return thru Prodrive

Supercheap has a competition to win a Tickford Ranger. Buy 3 products to enter.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:23 PM   #79
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

I really hope those TICKFORD badges are a joke.

Nope, apparently not

6 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2016, 10:28 PM   #80
malazn mafia
Boss 335

What a horrible comeback, where are the Tickford wings? Those badges are that unimaginative they make even TRD look creative...
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 04-10-2016, 10:42 PM   #81
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
I really hope those TICKFORD badges are a joke.

Nope, apparently not

Yep them badges are all wrong. Way too big and look cheap. Not sure they have done there homework when it comes to styling.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:02 PM   #82
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have to agree. The wings had a certain prestige to them - probably because of the likeness to Aston Martin - in a good way. A very fitting branding, and one that still appeals even after nearly 30 years. Much as the stylised FPV logo is quite nice, I still don't think it quite hit the nail like the wings do.

This new logo looks like a kid obsessed with transformers sketched it up on his dad's iPad........ Cheap & tacky.

Tickford used to stand for something special. Something well honed & perfected - a cut above the in-house assembly. They made great strides in putting Ford back on the family car performance map in the 90s, with some great vehicles - the complete package.

Now it seems they're becoming the ill-fated 'Holden by design' accessory arm of Ford Australia - soon to be solely an importing car company.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2016, 12:53 AM   #83
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo View Post
Yep them badges are all wrong. Way too big and look cheap. Not sure they have done there homework when it comes to styling.
But if they Coyote that tuk tuk, they would be forgiven. If it's a stock 3.2 under the hood, they can go to hell.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2016, 01:16 AM   #84
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
But if they Coyote that tuk tuk, they would be forgiven. If it's a stock 3.2 under the hood, they can go to hell.

The options are about $21k according to the article on motoring.com.au

http://www.motoring.com.au/tickford-...ranger-104098/

Up to 170kw (total, not extra lol) and 560nm. Not really enough to blow your hair back...

I'm a Tickford tragic, and all for anything Ford based. There's volume in Ranger and as the everyday mans sensible ride it does seem to make sound business sense to tackle one early on, though first up is a big call IMO.

Look forward to seeing what else they conjure up though- the video talks of an Everest by early 2017- being virtually the same car that's hardly groundbreaking but, still... be interested in Tickfords take on the Mustang though
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2016, 10:43 AM   #85
xr6tjet
[AUT-747]

Those badges are an embarrassment to the Tickford name. And overused way too much around the car. Looks like they are just trying to squeeze a few pennies out of a respected name that died gracefully in Australia.
xr6tjet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2016, 10:55 AM   #86
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

The one on the rear of the ranger reminds me of the badges for he FPV Super Pursuit ute, a little over done.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:13 AM   #87
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The only thing I'd option up is the powertrain package, the rest looks pox and I don't want those massive Tickford badges all over the car or the huge flares and 20" wheels.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2016, 11:56 AM   #88
Bolly47
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
http://www.speedcafe.com/2016/10/04/...-road-car-arm/

Prodrive launches Tickford road car arm
Hate looking things as overseas made ford Ranger as front end has big nose look like a Bulldozer need front scraper and also Tickford Ranger not ever Australian made So Late Tickford has pass away with along Australian made falcon years ago so why bring dead Tickford loglo out the bloody grave yard should left in peace just like Aussie made falcon and Territory is coming to the end is same thing. Prodrive should able launhes new name apart from using the name of late dead Tickford "Is everyone agree????? "
Bolly47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2016, 12:44 PM   #89
Dauphin
Irregular member

Yes, I agree that Tickford in Australia should have been left alone. Safeguard it from dodgy operators but do nothing more with it.

It's hard to take the name Tickford seriously again without a Falcon being involved. Tickford wings and Falcon went so well together.

I understand their attention on the 4x4 and SUV-style vehicles which are so popular these days but it should have been just marketed as Prodrive or something new, away from Falcon heritage.

7 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2016, 01:00 PM   #90
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Well said, and I agree
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post