Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
AU3XSR
First time Falconless

Default Buying a car - NSW to QLD

Hi All

I'm in Brisbane and am wanting to buy a car in Newcastle (obviously registered in NSW). The owner will sell the car to me with the NSW registration (valid until end of Nov 2012).

I'm just wanting to clarify with people that may know what the process for completing the purchase and getting the car onto the road in QLD. From my understanding the process is as follows:-

1. Sort out insurance on the car
2. Buy the car and drive back to QLD
3. Get a QLD roadworthy
4. Register the car with QT - I will need, roadworthy certificate (original), new rego application form, NSW rego certificate signed by previous owner, receipt of purchase showing purchase price (for duty)
5. Surrender the NSW plates and obtain a receipt from QT
6. Apply to the RTA (now RMS) for a refund on the remining registration

Is this correct? Are there any other documents I'll need or steps that need to happen?

Are there any documents in particular that the owner should give me from NSW? Is there any paperwork I need to complete for the RTA?

I just want to make sure there aren't any hiccups with clear title or registration of the car.

Thanks everyone.

Previous:-
2012 Fiesta Metal | 2001 AU2 XR6 | 1994 EF Fairmont | 2010 FG XR50 Ute | 2006 BF Typhoon | 2002 AU3 SR
AU3XSR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Buying a car - NSW to QLD

I dont think the "roadworthy" from NSW is valid here in QLD... better check up on that.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
falconhell74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats about it , you will need the rego number vin number , make model etc for the insurance, to get it back here.just get a short note from previous owner stating
I ................am selling my ............ rego number ......... vin number........ to (you).....for the sum of$........... on this day the ../../.. in an as is were is condition , sighned .........

Audi A4 S-line quttro
Xc falcon
Previous fords-
xc falcon 500 ,250 x flow 3 speed
xc gs worked 250 x flow 4 speed
xa Fairmont 302 auto wagon
xb falcon 250 log auto 4 door
xb falcon 200 log auto ute
xc gs project - had to sell :-(
xc gs 302 4 speed 4 door
xc gs 351 auto 4 door
zf fairlane 302 auto
zk fairlane 250 x flow carb auto
zl fairlane 250 x flow EFI auto
xg ute , BA falcon dedicated gas
xd, xf x 3 ,ea,eb,ef,au x 3,telstar tx5
falconhell74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
AU3XSR
First time Falconless

How does the CTP work? The car will have CTP from the NSW rego. Will I need to organise CTP separately before registering in QLD?

2012 Fiesta Metal | 2001 AU2 XR6 | 1994 EF Fairmont | 2010 FG XR50 Ute | 2006 BF Typhoon | 2002 AU3 SR
Old 05-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
Mulberry Laine

You would be better off buying the car unregistered and getting an unregistered vehicle permit to drive the car home.You wont be able to transfer the rego into your name having an out of state address,thus you wont be able to cancel the NSW rego and get a refund once you get home.Insurance wouldnt be a problem for the trip home with the car being unregistered,then all you have to worry about when you get home is the required inspections to get it registered.
Mulberry Laine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #6
AU3XSR
First time Falconless

I was going to buy it unregistered and get a permit to bring it home, but apparently I can get a refund on the rego. I have to fill out a form from the RTA and supply them with the plate surrender receipt and a copy of Proof of Registration Entitlement (i.e receipt from the seller or signed transfer details on the back of the NSW rego certificate). According to the RTA form for an interstate buyer they will transfer the rego into my name before giving me a refund.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #7
Mulberry Laine

Fair enough,sounds like alot of stuffing around though,dont forget you are dealing with government departments.Ive only bought interstate cars unregistered,makes it easier to get a better price.Cheers
Old 05-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
Mulberry Laine

Dont forget they will charge you stamp duty to transfer it into your name.It is 3% of purchase price. So will it be worth it once you pay that then get a refund on the registration.Rego for the year for my fairmont wasnt very much once you take taxes etc out.Remember they will only pay a refund on the rego nothing else.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #9
lotus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can drive the car to QLD with NSW rego as long as you have a reciept of purchase and the previous owner signs on the back of the NSW rego notice ( the bottom section of the back "Notice of Disposal"). Since car is registered you can drive it anytime, but if you de-register and get a permit you can only drive it between 7am-7pm and it costs around $40-50 for the first day but a lot less each day after that. Far easier to leave it registered. CTP is covered with NSW rego, just get a cover note for your Comp Ins.
I think you have up to 3 weeks to change to QLD rego. Not sure about refund of NSW rego but ask when handing old plates in.
I picked up a vehicle from NSW, drove home, got roadworthy, went to Trans Dept with old plates, reciept of purchase. They checked the eng & VIN No's and that was it.It only had about 1 month's rego left so I didn't worry too much about it.
If your car is out of factory warranty,you can buy a warranty for it depending on it's age. Some may say that they are a waste of money but I got one with the 2004 BMW Z4 I got. The alternator died 3 months after I bought it. Cost $1500 for the new one and I paid $200, so the policy has pretty well paid for itself already and I have another 4 1/2 yrs to go on it.
Just be careful which one you get, some are better than others.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:37 PM   #10
66GT

Just to add to all the above. When we picked up our NSW regoed xc coupe from the mother in law, the ownership and rego was transferred into our names using QLD license & address. Got a cover note for insurance & drove to Gold Coast QLD. Unfortunataly RTA would not allow us to renew NSW rego when up for renewal even though we were prepared to drive to NSW to get car checked for pink slip (not happy as was original rego plates etc). So got QLD safety certificate & regoed using all NSW rego paper work with our names. A bit of stuffing around - but no issues.
66GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #11
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

only the registered owner in NSW will recieve any refund no matter who brought it, just use the rego up,hand plates in and register it as new rego in your name, the back page on rego transfer form has all your details to safeguard the old owner if you get tickets in car.if Police pull you over and notice by your reply's that you have not transfered it they will tell you to go put it into your name asap ,never heard of anyone getting fined for it,Always remember,NEVER ask a Transport dept questions,the person you ask will have a panic attack as they are scared of not being 100% right and so will ask others and they will make you do anything the hardest way so none of them can be held to account for a minor mistake, funny but true.

Last edited by OLDFORDNUT; 06-03-2012 at 09:31 AM.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #12
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulberry Laine
You would be better off buying the car unregistered and getting an unregistered vehicle permit to drive the car home.
unreg vehicle permit is nearly as hard to get as a full rego (in NSW).

Dont' forget to get a cover note for insurance before you drive home.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #13
snowcone

Just leave it on NSW rego and use it up.
Then start new QLD rego
If QLD RTA ask why you didn't transfer it over when you bought it, tell them you were still driving it in NSW as you were working down there or some other bullcrap
snowcone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #14
AU3XSR
First time Falconless

Thanks guys. The replies have been very helpful. I've never bought interstate before but at least I know I'm on the right track at least with this.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #15
azz80

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowcone
Just leave it on NSW rego and use it up.
Then start new QLD rego
If QLD RTA ask why you didn't transfer it over when you bought it, tell them you were still driving it in NSW as you were working down there or some other bullcrap
Thats what i did when i bought mine from NSW a year ago. Still had 6 mths rego on it and I drove it like that & when it was time to renew, obtain RWC etc, take it to QT with insurance papers & good to go.
NSW owner is covered by the notice of disposal on the back of NSW rego papers & we filled out with drivers licence etc & had a copy each.
Old 24-10-2016, 08:22 PM   #16
vfast
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry to dig up an old post, but info is hard to come by. I am selling my car (NSW) and buyer is QLDer.

Buyer is saying he'll hand plates when back in QLD and I can transfer him the change on the rego.

I checked with RMS today and they said two options
1) I unregister vehicle hand plates in etc, get temp permit (on his behalf), receive refund on rego CTP. He drives to QLD does whatever is needed his end.
2) Just sign it over notice of disposal and say bye bye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDFORDNUT View Post
only the registered owner in NSW will recieve any refund no matter who brought it,
Has anyone done this recently?
vfast is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2016, 12:02 AM   #17
MRHELE

I did option 2, and adjusted price accordingly.
Kept it nice and neat.
MRHELE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2016, 01:05 AM   #18
AU3XSR
First time Falconless

Wow this thread does bring back a few memories.

vfast, the seller and I went for option 2 as well. They signed the disposal notice and I drove the car home on NSW plates.

Eventually surrendered the NSW plates to QLD Transport for QLD rego (had to do a RWC etc - but that'll be up to the buyer in your case).

I received the refund from the NSW RTA for the balance of the remaining NSW rego.

Essentially for you, once you sign the disposal notice the car is off your hands and out of your hair. Everything else that happens afterwards is up to the buyer.

Old 25-10-2016, 08:52 AM   #19
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did the reverse 3 years ago, Qld to NSW. The seller gave me more paperwork than I can remember, roadworthy, current rego, CTP, Qld disposal papers etc.
When I took it all to the NSW RMS, they were not interested in any of it. All they wanted was a Stat Dec from me, stating that I bought the car with rego A, VIN B, from seller C who lived at address D on date E, a current NSW roadworthy certificate and NSW CTP.
The seller received the refund of the rego balance, not me, and I presume the CTP balance.
If I had not changed the Qld rego within 2 weeks(?), I was not liable to be fined for an unregistered car, but I was liable for an extra ‘administrative’ fee of $100(?) for transferring the rego after that date.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2016, 05:50 PM   #20
xr8cam

It is all on the website. I suggest you read it thru because whilst there is a lot of good help here, the RTA or Maritime roads and whatever it is they are known as now, change the finer details from time to time.
xr8cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2016, 10:42 PM   #21
vfast
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8cam View Post
It is all on the website. I suggest you read it thru because whilst there is a lot of good help here, the RTA or Maritime roads and whatever it is they are known as now, change the finer details from time to time.
I did try but couldn't find anything. if you have a link that'd be great.
vfast is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post