Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-07-2019, 08:08 PM   #31
nstg8a

Default Re: Holden to Cull Holden Commodore to Six Models?

I see more rams on the road than either fgx or zb.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2019, 09:05 PM   #32
MattSAU2XR8

Everyone bags the ZB but you might be surprised. My four most recent cars were:
- AU XR8 200KW manual sedan
- G6E Ecoboost
- VE SS 2007 auto with CAI, catback, Pedders, Konis, Brembos
- And now ZB RSV wagon

None of these have been perfect although I enjoyed all of them at the time, eg:
- AU XR8 wasn't that quick for a V8, and being a manual had a lot of drivetrain noise in cabin, and brakes weren't great till I fitted a 330 mm kit
- G6E Ecoboost was a very nice car, to be honest a great car, but felt a bit pedestrian, not in a bad way as everything worked, but just not a hoon car, probably would have been happier in an XR6
- VE SS was certainly quick enough but had a dodgy 2/3 shift which was endemic, and it seemed the bodyshell had moved a bit as it sat 10 mm lower on RHS with new springs and shocks, so I had to make shims front at rear to lift it up level
- ZB RSV wagon was the best deal I could get recently (at $32k with under 10 kkms and 4.5 years warranty remaining, with 235 wk, 9 speed auto, AWD, leather, heated seats etc...) Only problem is fuel consumption which is good on long trips at about 9 litres, but on a new/tight engine goes as high as 7 litres per 100 km for short trips, eg. 10 kms around town :-(
- Also looked at a 2.0T RS wagon which would have been more sensible but had a tendency to BBQ the font tyres under acceleration... But a good car still overall I think

And at present for that sort of money if we want a relatively large and near new car with warranty we're limited to Mondeo, ZB, Mazda 6, or Camry, and the ZB really isn't that bad. My next car may well be a Focus ST line wagon once I turn 50 and can drive something a bit slower, since I like both Fords and Holdens, but for now the ZB isn't that bad I think.
MattSAU2XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2019, 05:10 PM   #33
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSAU2XR8 View Post
Snip...

And at present for that sort of money if we want a relatively large and near new car with warranty we're limited to Mondeo, ZB, Mazda 6, or Camry, and the ZB really isn't that bad. My next car may well be a Focus ST line wagon once I turn 50 and can drive something a bit slower, since I like both Fords and Holdens, but for now the ZB isn't that bad I think.
It isn't bad, it just isn't a standout. Don't mind the look of the wagons tho. Awesome value buy on your part at that price. Well done. Course i also reckon the new Camry looks good....i still want to hide behind a tree when i tell someone that.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-07-2019, 05:13 PM   #34
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
I only spend about 1hr on the road each day and I reckon I see more zb's than fgx's. Not exactly a big claim,I know, but I do see at least one every day. More than I can say for mondeo as well.
Adelaide still seems to have a thing for 'Commodore'. I know a state poli, walked into Holden dealer handed over the black VF Calais V keys and said more of the same please, got identical ZB. I ask why, he says because it's on the list of cars they can get. First or second weren't bought out of the love. Just still ticking over as if nothing happened.

They do look kinda good in SAPOL livery...

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2019, 05:29 PM   #35
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
Adelaide still seems to have a thing for 'Commodore'. I know a state poli, walked into Holden dealer handed over the black VF Calais V keys and said more of the same please, got identical ZB. I ask why, he says because it's on the list of cars they can get. First or second weren't bought out of the love. Just still ticking over as if nothing happened.

They do look kinda good in SAPOL livery...
True, although they did take a lot longer to start regularly appearing than any Commodore before it.
Old 23-07-2019, 06:39 PM   #36
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
It isn't bad, it just isn't a standout. Don't mind the look of the wagons tho. Awesome value buy on your part at that price. Well done. Course i also reckon the new Camry looks good....i still want to hide behind a tree when i tell someone that.
Wagons look good all the way to the tail lights, cant take to the way they bulge out.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post