Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-08-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Default Is my Steering coupling stuffed?

Hi guys, over the last few months Iv noticed some movement in the steering column. I thought maybe the mount bolts had worked lose some.

However today I got under the dash to look and noticed the column seems tight at the top, but the shaft where it goes through the firewall moves around.
I grabbed the other end of the shaft in the engine bay and it has the same slop on that side.

So, is this the steering coupling issue Iv heard about around the traps, or something else?

I have the car going in for a full service and check over tomorrow, so it would be helpful if I know exactly what is needed and I can tell the mechanic to do that rather than having to pay him diagnosis time..

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 12:43 AM   #2
Donny

Default Re: Is my Steering coupling stuffed?

Unbelievable, nearly 50 views an not one reply or comment.. Seems like the forum has gone to the dogs a bit of late..

I got more comments on my Tickford AU Face Book page about it.

This user likes this post:
Old 06-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #3
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
Unbelievable, nearly 50 views an not one reply or comment.. Seems like the forum has gone to the dogs a bit of late..

I got more comments on my Tickford AU Face Book page about it.
Donnie, would you prefer that we fed you BS? In my experience with these forums, if people do not know, they will not post.

If you are after re-assurance to prop you up, I suggest that you stick to FB.

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
Donny

I posted the question here first and thought that with 80 000 plus members total, I would have good odds on getting some useful info pretty quick.

That's how it used to work before in this area with other things Iv asked in the past.. Now its 24 hours later and still nothing helpful after nearly 100 looks.

The steering columns, couplings and intermediate shafts are a fairly well known issue on the AU's from what I have heard so I would have thought I had decent odds on a fast answer here before anywhere else..

Old 06-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Maybe bad timing? Either that, or just not as many people follow the AU section any more?

I have not seen that before, but good luck getting it sorted.

Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

check out this post, it might be some help.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ring+universal
ii think donny some don`t like to put it out there as diagnosing on the internet can be a bit hit and miss.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #7
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Hi Donny,

I had this problem a couple of years ago. I had to have the whateveritis that holds the steering column in place in the firewall replaced. Had a taxi mechanic do it, was cheap and quick if i remember correctly.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #8
Donny

Stu, you may be right, possibly bad timing..

Mik, thanks for that link. Im pretty sure it's not the intermediate shaft after reading all that. If I read that topic right, that particular part has been changed in mine already and is the part wrapped in that heat wrap in the below pic.

Mr Hardware, what you describe sounds like the problem mine has. The bush or bearing that locates and centralises the steering column where it goes through the firewall is what I think is up the putt on mine.
My mechanic recons the bush has come clean out of its correct position. This makes the bottom of the steering column pole where it joins the intermediate shaft all wobbly if you put any pressure on the wheel or steering column shaft.

Can you please dig up or find me some info as to what part was required and replaced?

Old 07-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #9
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

No info sorry mate, it was one of those 'take it down to old mate micko at random taxi base and he'll have it done by the end of the day, $120 cash'. I don't think i asked about it on here.
From memory it felt like yes, the bush or whatever it's called that located the column in the firewall had worn or i think maybe popped through? or separated? or something like that. I also had symptoms of greater engine noise in the cabin. I have it in my memory that that whole plate with the three bolts had to come off or be replaced entirely? I dunno. Like i say, it was years ago. Probably more like 4 years ago than 2.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
Kryton

Yes, that is the intermediate steering shaft.
Get under the dash and make sure the bolt that goes through the steering rack is tight (second pic in first post next to where you have written).
If that isnt it, then its the uni joint at the fire wall end of the intermediate steering shaft.
Undo the intermediate steering shaft from the uni joint (and the other end of the shaft), pull the shaft from the uni joint, get someone to hold the steering wheel still and wobble the uni joint to see if it moves.
I have a spare one here that i no longer need.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #11
Donny

Thanks fellas. My mechanic might be onto a fix, he has been in touch with Ford Spare Parts and it looks like they have identified the part that's stuffed.
Its possibly called a Toe Plate.
He is on his way across town to that dealership now, so fingers crossed they have the part needed in stock and it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #12
Kryton

If the Toe Plate is the plate that bolts to the firewall, that isnt the problem.
Its the uni joint as previous mentioned.
The plate is metal - the coupling that mounts the uni to the plate is plastic.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #13
Donny

Hopefully I should know something either way by the end of the day.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:47 PM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how did you go Donny?
Old 12-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #15
BHDOGS
Banned

I don't have looseness but at idle I can feel the engine idle through the steering wheel in my hands it stops when moving tho could this be the same bush causing it?
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #16
Donny

Well guys I had this part replaced. The part alone cost around $400. The difference is astounding. Its so much quieter inside now..

Its to hard to explain the part, so I will post a pic of it instead..

bhdogs, I don't know if this is the culprit on your car or not. On mine if I grabbed the steering wheel and put up, down or sideways pressure on the wheel you could feel what seemed like the whole steering shaft moving.
There was a lot of engine noise penetrating the inside of my car but this noise was present from the day I bought the car, so until now I didn't know that it wasn't meant to be that loud inside.

You may have the more common issue of the intermediate steering shaft in between this part and the steering rack transferring vibrations through to the column. This problem becomes quite prevalent when aftermarket extractors are fitted..

I spent just under 2k all up on the car. Had the brakes fixed, had 2 warped discs, 1 on the front and one on the rear, they also repainted the calipers for me. Oil and filter, engine flush, fuel treatment, new engine coolant and flush, new expansion tank and cap, clean and oil the k & n air filter, power steer flush an new fluids, full brake fluid flush, new fuel filter, adjust clutch and a full service and check over of everything on the car..

Last edited by Donny; 13-08-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 13-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #17
Kryton

Glad its fixed but just so you know, that isnt one part, thats 2 parts that literally just clip together.
The uni joint slides into the metal plate and just clips into place.
It is likely the uni joint that had the play, which is a whole $40 at any wreckers.
You could have done the job yourself with basic tools and about 20 minutes of your time.

Last edited by Kryton; 13-08-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Old 13-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #18
Donny

Thanks again for your advice, I just had another look at that and your right. The plate alone can be seperated from the shaft, bearing and knuckle bit.
The bearing that clips into the plate has failed on mine and the uni joint is tight as, I just checked that..

I had the option to go second hand or chase stuff up cheaper, but in the end as this car is my daily and I'm very fond of it, I sprung for a new genuine part.
This is the first maintenance/repairs money Iv spent on this car since I bought it 20 months ago. The cars totally worth it to me and I like my cars to be in top shape..

Here's a more detailed image..

Last edited by Donny; 13-08-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 13-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #19
Kryton

I had play in my old ute and thought it was the uni (as most are) so i got replacement parts etc and had a good look at them.
Mine turned out to be the bolt which holds the shaft to the steering column had fallen out (the bolt hole above where you wrote "And if I hold this.." in the pic above), so my steering wasnt actually jheld in by anything other than luck - the steering shaft had nearly worked its way off of the uni joint.
Old 13-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #20
Donny

You were one lucky fella then.
Years ago I had a steering coupling fail on my XB GT. Luckily I had just straightened it up as I was parking it, and that's when it let go.

Old 13-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #21
BHDOGS
Banned

Yup that part is what moves on mine when I shake the column I can get quite a vibration going like a drum! I've tightened the bolt under then dash and the bolt to steering rack so must be this! Cheers fellors I'll try and find another one
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2012, 02:31 PM   #22
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well done Donny,and good explanation and pics and thanks to davway as well.
Old 21-01-2016, 10:16 AM   #23
ZC Burgundy
Starter Motor

FullSizeRender.jpg

Hi Guys.
I'm new to this so please bear with me..

My intermediate shaft has a lot of play coming from the pin..
Looks like this pin once had a bush..
Can i just weld this pin to eliminate the play?
They want $600 for a new shaft which i just cant afford..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
(its from an AU11 v8)

Last edited by ZC Burgundy; 21-01-2016 at 10:21 AM. Reason: not complete
ZC Burgundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2016, 11:40 PM   #24
George V
Donating Member
Donating Member3

[QUOTE=George V;5572568]ZC Burgundy,

This thread is dead for more than 3 years.

To answer your question - Welding while maintaining it's straightness can be tricky. Others have sourced the intermediate shafts from wreckers with good results.

You can always try a machine shop & get them to re-pin it.

Hope this is of some assistance.
George V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2016, 12:19 AM   #25
KRL-94

that bearing in the plate just needs to be gently tapped back in with a hammer and flat blade screw driver. had this issue and did exactly that and problem solved.

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11447916
KRL-94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2016, 06:41 AM   #26
meanfalcon

The pins in the shaft would be shear pins. welding would fix it but you have lost the benefit of having a break point in an emergency.
And as the guys said if it is the bearing outside the fire wall it can be tapped back in to place if it is still serviceable.

AU II XR8 220kw SVO zorst, G&D Auto
meanfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2017, 09:11 PM   #27
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRL-94 View Post
that bearing in the plate just needs to be gently tapped back in with a hammer and flat blade screw driver. had this issue and did exactly that and problem solved.

I wish it was that easy one of mine has dropped the bush.. and is a ***** to knock back up..might have to remove that universal assembly to get to the bush
V8falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2019, 08:55 AM   #28
Nick Gardiner
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryton View Post
Yes, that is the intermediate steering shaft.
Get under the dash and make sure the bolt that goes through the steering rack is tight (second pic in first post next to where you have written).
If that isnt it, then its the uni joint at the fire wall end of the intermediate steering shaft.
Undo the intermediate steering shaft from the uni joint (and the other end of the shaft), pull the shaft from the uni joint, get someone to hold the steering wheel still and wobble the uni joint to see if it moves.
I have a spare one here that i no longer need.
Kryton
Not sure if I miss understood you.
Do you have a ford au V8 lower steering shaft as I have play/ware in mine and would like to get one.
is there a way to get them reconditioned?
Nick Gardiner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2019, 09:59 AM   #29
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Gardiner View Post
Kryton
Not sure if I miss understood you.
Do you have a ford au V8 lower steering shaft as I have play/ware in mine and would like to get one.
is there a way to get them reconditioned?
Nick, That's the problem when digging up old threads.

The user that made a comment, coming up 7 years ago, may no longer be around

Kryton - Last Activity: 14-07-2017 08:10 PM

Sorry, I can't help either.