Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-02-2020, 09:11 PM   #31
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Would you buy a discounted Holden?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post
It is not 10 years, it does not state that anywhere in legislation. That was just the industry's "unwritten" rule. The law actually states something along the lines "for an acceptable period." From memory someone on here provided a link to it, buggered if I can find it again...
To clarify consumer law states 7 years (my mistake) but Holden (GM) has committed to an industry standard 10 years.

Either way you would be pretty well covered.
4 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2020, 09:24 PM   #32
xr8territory
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Has anyone ever found where the stash of non sold vehicles is, and how many are there?
There are hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of cars at Kembla Grange, just south of Wollongong. Mostly look to be VW but must be other brands in there.
XW UTE, XW FAIRMONT, XT GT, XT Fairmont, EF XR8, XH XR8 UTE, XH XR8 UTE, AU UTE, Renault Scenic, XF UTE, BA XR8 UTE, TERRITORY, Chrysler Voyager, WS FIESTA ZETEC,TERRITORY TITANIUM, BA UTE, Nissan Pathfinder, AU Falcon Forte, BA XR8 UTE.
xr8territory is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-02-2020, 09:24 PM   #33
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Ok guys, you can put your cheque books away again, its a false alarm.

I just called into my local Holden Dealer and overheard a conversation between the sales manager and some customers where he made it quite clear that there would be no big discounts.
Apparently the discounts aren't to customers, they are for the dealers to offset the compensation payments GM owes to them and said it was then up to the dealers to set their price.
He said there would be some negotiation but that it would be unachievable to give discounts as reported.
He said the only serious discount would be on base model Colorado 4x4 of around 10k.

Will be interesting to see how this unfolds.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2020, 09:30 PM   #34
xr8territory
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Ok guys, you can put your cheque books away again, its a false alarm.

I just called into my local Holden Dealer and overheard a conversation between the sales manager and some customers where he made it quite clear that there would be no big discounts.
Apparently the discounts aren't to customers, they are for the dealers to offset the compensation payments GM owes to them and said it was then up to the dealers to set their price.
He said there would be some negotiation but that it would be unachievable to give discounts as reported.
He said the only serious discount would be on base model Colorado 4x4 of around 10k.

Will be interesting to see how this unfolds.
That is very interesting. I doubt they will clear their existing stock by end of June. Isnt that when Holden dealerships cease to exist?
XW UTE, XW FAIRMONT, XT GT, XT Fairmont, EF XR8, XH XR8 UTE, XH XR8 UTE, AU UTE, Renault Scenic, XF UTE, BA XR8 UTE, TERRITORY, Chrysler Voyager, WS FIESTA ZETEC,TERRITORY TITANIUM, BA UTE, Nissan Pathfinder, AU Falcon Forte, BA XR8 UTE.
xr8territory is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2020, 09:34 PM   #35
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8territory View Post
That is very interesting. I doubt they will clear their existing stock by end of June. Isnt that when Holden dealerships cease to exist?
End of the year apparently, but dealers have said supposedly they will be out of stock within months.

Based on BENT8s research, sounds like media speculation and blowing up
2 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2020, 09:36 PM   #36
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8territory View Post
Don't know, all I can tell you is I watched these customers march in all dressed up to the nines, kids in tow equally dressed up and they looked like they meant business, walked straight up to the sales manager and didn't look overly impressed after listening to what he had to say.
I heard the Husband say "so its all lies then" to which the manager said "there are discounts but its between GM and the dealers to offset the compensation payments owed as we still have a 5yr contract with them, there will be negotiating but nowhere near the reported figures as it would be unachievable for us" He then mentioned 10k on base model Colorado 4x4.

They weren't impressed and I high tailed it out of there also, so that's 2 sales they lost in 2 minutes, I was prepared to take a serious look at the base model Grey Trax they had out front.
4 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2020, 09:36 PM   #37
hayseed

https://www.theguardian.com/business...flow-to-buyers
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2020, 09:46 PM   #38
IanC

Looking on Gumtree before the closure announcement I saw 2018 build 2019 Commodore wagons going for $30,000 with less than 100km on the clock. So that is basically a two year old vehicle which has been sitting in a paddock for those two years. That won't do it any good. The discount would have to be much bigger than that to tempt me. Perhaps if it was $20,000 I could be interested. If the dealers are going to keep the discounts and only offer peanuts off I won't be buying. My guess is the dealers will try it on but it won't work and people won't buy until the discounts are really big.

Last edited by IanC; 20-02-2020 at 09:52 PM. Reason: just seen more information
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2020, 08:46 AM   #39
4stanger
Powered By EcoBoost

I don't know how true this is.
But a mate reckons his Qld. government department, put in an order for a colorado late last week, only for QFleet to come back to them early this week, to tell them to choose another brand of vehicle, as there will be no more orders to be processed for holden vehicles, even though holden was on the list to pick from last week.
Must be something there if a government department, aren't going to purchase holden vehicles, even through a lease?
4stanger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2020, 08:47 AM   #40
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So based on bents research I’ll make the following prediction. The dealers will work hard to sell the cars in stock that they own but won’t take any more from HOLDEN. Dealers will be hauling *** to drop the hot potato by June 30.
All the paddock cars will end up at pickles or greys, they will have to take what they’re given.I would wait and bypass the dealers completely.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 21-02-2020, 08:58 AM   #41
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i would have jumped on an Astra R manual for $12k ($12k driveaway stated on all the news sites)
but dealers will be dealers and they are in it to make money, just like selling GT-F's for over $100k when the rrp was about $80k
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2020, 09:39 AM   #42
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post
It is not 10 years, it does not state that anywhere in legislation. That was just the industry's "unwritten" rule. The law actually states something along the lines "for an acceptable period." From memory someone on here provided a link to it, buggered if I can find it again...
Exactly, it is an un-written industry rule.

Look at a few of the recent discontinued car brands, Daewoo & Daihatsu.

Daewoo was gone over 15 years ago & Daihatsu more recently, but you can still purchase some genuine parts for both of these brands.

GMH wqill have a presence at Dandenong for at least 8 to 10 years to cater for warranty, parts & any recalls that my arise (Takata for examle).

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2020, 10:17 AM   #43
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Anyone who does buy a runout holden should take out a comprehensive new for old insurance policy - that would be interesting.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2020, 11:34 AM   #44
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I guess we see what pans out.
As for a daily commuter vehicle the Astra is tempting indeed for that price.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2020, 01:07 PM   #45
baker1

No way. The resale disaster will offset any savings, not to mention they're **** cars which is how the ended up in this situation. I also couldn't imagine warranty and service would be anything thing more than the bare minimum to meet government requirements.
baker1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2020, 01:15 PM   #46
superyob
Banned

No. No I would not...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2020, 01:25 PM   #47
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Would I buy a Holden at a heavily discounted price?

Of course I would. I bought a Colorado 2 years ago at full price (less negotiation).
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2020, 02:04 PM   #48
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Yes, is someone selling a cheap Sandman ?

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2020, 02:18 PM   #49
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Really cannot see there being any warranty or parts problems because very few dealers are one make only now,so the shop will be still there,most of the vehicles now being sold are coming from the global manufacturing so parts will not be a problem.Not really much different than buying the superceded model at a discount.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2020, 02:42 PM   #50
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baker1 View Post
I also couldn't imagine warranty and service would be anything thing more than the bare minimum to meet government requirements.
So slightly more comprehensive than the 'They all do that' motor company you think..?
Old 21-02-2020, 02:44 PM   #51
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Who cares about resale seriously, if your buying outright then run the sucker into the ground. Show me a car that gives good resale, there are ones that offer "better" but its still not good. They are consumables people not assets.

If we didnt just get a Paj Sport recently then id get one of those trailblazer things for sure if it was $10k off.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2020, 03:08 PM   #52
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz
It is law that a manufacturer must back a car for parts for 10 years. This includes GM in this situation.
It has also been said that Holden will still have an office open for customer service/warranty for the next 10 years.

Their hand is forced here, so a buyer is still covered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz
To clarify consumer law states 7 years (my mistake) but Holden (GM) has committed to an industry standard 10 years.

Either way you would be pretty well covered.

It's not a law, but they do what they can to support parts for a certain number of years. Problem is they usually just do the bare minimum to get them by for a few years, or a quality issue sees certain parts go obsolete quickly, and then the buyer is forced to go hunting wreckers yards.

We all know how certain Falcon parts became obsolete within 3 or 4 years. It happens. Predicting years ahead how many parts will be needed is crystal ball stuff and never accurate. It's educated guesswork. So don't expect GM, who really just want to get out of australia as cheap as possible, to look after buyers years into the future. They don't teach business ethics at GM HQ.

If you are prepared for that risk, and the fact resale values will be basically a fraction of what you payed within a couple of years, then go for it if you can get a good enough price.

I personally wouldn't touch anything in their range with a bargepole though. Nothing they sell is appealing at all.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2020, 03:27 PM   #53
Itsme
Experienced Member

If the price is right and I like the car why not!

You will be still protected by warranty and consumer laws, fiestaz post says it all.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2020, 03:45 PM   #54
Magna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
Exactly, it is an un-written industry rule.

Look at a few of the recent discontinued car brands, Daewoo & Daihatsu.

Daewoo was gone over 15 years ago & Daihatsu more recently, but you can still purchase some genuine parts for both of these brands.

GMH wqill have a presence at Dandenong for at least 8 to 10 years to cater for warranty, parts & any recalls that my arise (Takata for examle).

Dr Terry
Daewoo and Daihatsu have a domestic market in right hand drive cars hence the larger stockpile of parts suitable for Australian cars.

A better comparison would be SAAB

https://www.caradvice.com.au/152598/...-gm-ownership/

https://www.caradvice.com.au/152084/...ars-australia/
Magna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2020, 04:19 PM   #55
Seasoned One
Seasoned One

I wouldn't on principle. It was a slap in the face to Australia for driving on the right side of the car, left side of the road, whatever, took our money and run. let them wear the cost of their disaster idea of what Australians want to drive.
we have all been herded into what they wanted to sell, either by price or discounts etc.I just dread replacing my G6ET. I 'm obviously a minority wanting a 4 door car suitable for 5 adults if needed with ample performance under 100k
1967 xr Falcon ute 289
1966 xr Fairmont 289
Seasoned One is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2020, 05:04 PM   #56
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While we're on principle, we should remember the GM bondholders in 2009... (US I know)
Old 21-02-2020, 06:20 PM   #57
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Was quoted $29,990 DA for brand new 4x4 RG Colorado, single cab with tray and $31,500 DA for one with heavy duty steel tray.

6sp auto, 2.8L diesel.

They're getting smashed, everything is moving real quick.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2020, 06:26 PM   #58
roKWiz
Cabover nut

New owner of this motel bought a new Colorado last week, don't know if he got a good deal. I'm not game to ask in case he sticks the rates up.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2020, 06:51 PM   #59
MercuryT
Banned

If they still sold V8s I would.

Only for the right price though.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2020, 07:00 PM   #60
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 
Unhappy Re: Would you buy a discounted Holden?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Anyone who does buy a runout holden should take out a comprehensive new for old insurance policy - that would be interesting.
Surely it wouldn't be totally uncommon that equivalent cars aren't available for the insurer to exercise the new for old option. For example the limited run Grid Edition Golf Rs, NRMA supposedly won't replace them with the fully fledged model (which is all that's available now) as they're quite a clip dearer and thus not an equivalent model by their reckoning. So you just get a bag of cash.

Whether insurers might exclude all future new Holden policies from the new for old cover to prevent confusion, who knows.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post