Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-02-2020, 07:00 PM   #1
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Question Will Ford's Australian R&D facilities survive?

I've always seen the local R&D division as a token effort by Ford to show they are "still dedicated to Australia" after they ceased local production of vehicles.

Today's announcement by GM to terminate the Holden brand, will it cause Dearborn to reconsider Ford's presence in Australia?

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2020, 07:05 PM   #2
XR6Noir

Default Re: Will Ford's Australian R&D facilities survive?

XR6Noir is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2020, 07:12 PM   #3
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

hey, I may be a white middle aged male but I ain't a 'token' anything thanks
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2020, 08:47 PM   #4
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
I've always seen the local R&D division as a token effort by Ford to show they are "still dedicated to Australia" after they ceased local production of vehicles.

Today's announcement by GM to terminate the Holden brand, will it cause Dearborn to reconsider Ford's presence in Australia?
You need to get back into that AU Forte.

Good luck 😉
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2020, 10:46 PM   #5
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post

Has Ford pulled out of the UK, Thailand, India or South Africa and said it will stop building RHD vehicles across the globe? The local R&D centre will only cease if it fails to win more work and at the current exchange rate that doesn't seem as a handicap.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2020, 01:55 AM   #6
Vormund

I doubt it will have a direct affect. R&D do not get involved between businesses (unless it’s a joint venture) Different to manufacturing which has economies of scale with suppliers.
Vormund is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2020, 11:29 AM   #7
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford Motor says it will hire more staff and commit $500 million to Australian market following Holden’s collapse:
https://www.news.com.au/technology/i...fa2232881e28ae
Ms Hart says Ford has a big design and engineering team in Australia and is “hiring at the moment”.

“I am sure there is some great talent in that Holden team. We would definitely be looking for that skill set that would fit with us and there may well be opportunities for that team at Ford in the future,” she told ABC radio on Tuesday.

However, she said any long-term decisions about the future of Ford’s Australian operations would be considered and made by its US-based parent company.
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2020, 11:31 AM   #8
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

As long as there is a pipeline of work..

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-...kh6P-nJjx-BoAE
Old 18-02-2020, 02:17 PM   #9
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I don't know why people are linking the 2. Holden did little jobs for GM. Nothing sustainable, and the decision to stop building RHD cars cause they only sell to 3 markets in Oz, NZ and Thailand, because they have killed off all the other RHD markets in Europe, South Africa and India, was the cause of Holden dying.

Ford will still be here unless Ford get out of all their RHD markets, which isn't happening anytime soon. As for FoA Product Development, they have already come out and said it's safe for the medium term. No one has a crystal ball to see beyond that though. Anything could happen. But the success of Ranger globally makes it worthwhile to continue here.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2020, 07:25 PM   #10
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I don't know why people are linking the 2. Holden did little jobs for GM. Nothing sustainable, and the decision to stop building RHD cars cause they only sell to 3 markets in Oz, NZ and Thailand, because they have killed off all the other RHD markets in Europe, South Africa and India, was the cause of Holden dying.

Ford will still be here unless Ford get out of all their RHD markets, which isn't happening anytime soon. As for FoA Product Development, they have already come out and said it's safe for the medium term. No one has a crystal ball to see beyond that though. Anything could happen. But the success of Ranger globally makes it worthwhile to continue here.
Ford US is greedy,
now they have Bronco, they will want Ranger and next gen development in the USA,
let's hope any moves like that is a long way off in the future.....

Last edited by jpd80; 18-02-2020 at 07:30 PM.
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2020, 09:23 PM   #11
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Ford US simply cannot design and deliver a new Ranger. They don't have the numbers, even with smart efficiencies and a combined Ranger/F150 platform. Nothing is guaranteed, but I am pretty confident they aren't taking Ranger from us. We could stuff up and lose it, but they aren't taking it.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2020, 01:52 PM   #12
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
Ford US simply cannot design and deliver a new Ranger. They don't have the numbers, even with smart efficiencies and a combined Ranger/F150 platform. Nothing is guaranteed, but I am pretty confident they aren't taking Ranger from us. We could stuff up and lose it, but they aren't taking it.
Would be hard to get their heads around selling a vehicle in over 180+ countries. Once they figure out there is actually other countries outside North America of course.

Pretty much everything they do is specific to North America. They wouldn't have a clue what other markets would require.
3 users like this post:
Old 19-02-2020, 04:07 PM   #13
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Would be hard to get their heads around selling a vehicle in over 180+ countries. Once they figure out there is actually other countries outside North America of course.

Pretty much everything they do is specific to North America. They wouldn't have a clue what other markets would require.
Mustang would be about the only true global car they do wouldnt it?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-02-2020, 04:30 PM   #14
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
It would be. And it doesn't go everywhere. From what I can find, 146 countries.
Old 19-02-2020, 05:29 PM   #15
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
This is global according to Dearborn

superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2020, 06:25 PM   #16
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Quote:
It would be. And it doesn't go everywhere. From what I can find, 146 countries.
I count just under 140 for Mustang.
Ranger is just over 170 countries

Last edited by superroo; 19-02-2020 at 06:34 PM.
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2020, 07:18 PM   #17
Paul22

Interesting discussion thus far. From memory, when Ford decided to increase the capability of the R&D division here, one of the advantages stated that they had a full and unfettered access to their super computer in the States being that we were using it during their night. It was known as CRAY. Now, I understand that modern technology has negated that priority somewhat I reckon there's a fair bet that this still forms part of Head Office thinking, In addition, they've also discovered that the Australian R&D division is without equal in efficiency and outcomes and that includes the States. I would like to think they're safe here.
Paul22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 20-02-2020, 12:42 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroo View Post
I count just under 140 for Mustang.
Ranger is just over 170 countries
I was going off official Ford press releases. It says 146 for Mustang.

Ranger is 180, but I think that was before they started building them in the US, so you could add a few more to it if you include the USA and Canada. Maybe Mexico?
Old 20-02-2020, 09:58 PM   #19
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
I was going off official Ford press releases. It says 146 for Mustang.

Ranger is 180, but I think that was before they started building them in the US, so you could add a few more to it if you include the USA and Canada. Maybe Mexico?
Thought Mexico gets our ranger. Not the US one.
Old 20-02-2020, 10:36 PM   #20
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

more importantly to my mind is that Ranger is built in 4 countries around the world, plus assembled in several more from kits. All Mustangs are built just down the road (sort of). Hope the American engineers all have passports and visas to support the launch activities
Old 21-02-2020, 11:11 AM   #21
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
more importantly to my mind is that Ranger is built in 4 countries around the world, plus assembled in several more from kits. All Mustangs are built just down the road (sort of). Hope the American engineers all have passports and visas to support the launch activities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
What was he testing, the airbags?
Agree entirely and up until recently, the Americans had no idea just how immense / complicate the T6 program was in order to be a truly global product.

I get this vision of some well intentioned short term hire US goober taking over US Ranger / Bronco I P and being blown away by the immense engineering behind T6 and probably realising that he’s out of his depth.....
Old 21-02-2020, 02:43 PM   #22
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
Thought Mexico gets our ranger. Not the US one.
More likely the Argentinian built ones. Not Thai. But yeah, they are not US Rangers going off the Ford Mexico website.
Old 21-02-2020, 04:35 PM   #23
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
More likely the Argentinian built ones. Not Thai. But yeah, they are not US Rangers going off the Ford Mexico website.
Until recently the 2.5 petrol engine was still available it think it was in the 2WD dual cab.
Old 21-02-2020, 05:51 PM   #24
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I worked in Indonesia and Viet Nam.
Not sure why, but even back in the day when it was a re-badged Mazda, the Ford Ranger was extremely popular. It just seemed to represent very good value for money in the light-truck segment.
(Oh, and Indonesia is also RHD.)
I've never been able to confirm, but they MUST have been assembled within Indonesia (to avoid the crippling import duties.) Perhaps they came in CKD?
Again Ford has an assembly plant in Viet Nam for the same reason.

My point is that the Ranger is popular throughout SE Asia in a way GM products never were. Don't know whey, just the way it was.

So as long as the Ranger remains popular, and Australia remains the design centre for the Ranger, I guess their jobs will remain.

Something else to keep in mind, is that Ford is still family controlled.
So whilst companies like GM will cut off their own penis if it isn't profitable, Ford will always be a little bit more reluctant to abandon a market.
Same reason why Ford has always preferred to put their own name on cars.
Old 24-02-2020, 09:54 PM   #25
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
I mean the chassis is non US chassis. They don't get the US one.
Old 25-02-2020, 02:35 PM   #26
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
I mean the chassis is non US chassis. They don't get the US one.
Yeah I got that. Was just pointing out they most likely get their cars from Argentina.
Old 25-02-2020, 07:27 PM   #27
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

The Yanks are a strange mob...It's only global if it suits them . Stuff everybody else if it doesn't . There's a lot of great vehicles that will probably be banned from being sold in America but it's okay for them to have this mish mash of manufacturing involving US and overseas companies as depicted here a couple of years ago . https://www.hotcars.com/10-foreign-c...rs-that-arent/..

Good luck figuring where all the R&D goes on with all that .

Last edited by roddy1960; 25-02-2020 at 07:35 PM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2020, 09:41 PM   #28
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Yeah I got that. Was just pointing out they most likely get their cars from Argentina.
Mexico have a FTA agreement with Argentina so it would be the smartest place to build it.
Old 29-02-2020, 09:55 AM   #29
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Maybe the R&D crew from Holden and Ford that lost their jobs recently and over the last few years together with a few bob from someone could revisit a modern version of the Bolwell Nagari.....Get the rights to the now defunct manufactured Barra T or hybrid or electric or......Begin as a kit making company or build to order cottage industry , use new tech from different Aussie suppliers that does exist and maybe a few of those engineers could work on a car with little or no beholdings to a big brother ..Maybe ol Scomo could sling a few shillings in too to encourage local enterprise that him and others bang on about from time to time..

Shannons TV take on the Nagari ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTz3HfY2Luk&t=124s.
Old 29-02-2020, 10:25 AM   #30
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Maybe the R&D crew from Holden and Ford that lost their jobs recently and over the last few years together with a few bob from someone could revisit a modern version of the Bolwell Nagari...Even if some components were outsourced or built under licence , engine/transmission for example......Begin as a kit making company or build to order cottage industry , use new control technology from different Aussie suppliers that does exist and maybe a few of those engineers could work on a car with little or no beholdings to a big brother ..Maybe ol Scomo could sling a few shillings and compliance aid in too to encourage local enterprise..

Shannons TV take on the Nagari period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTz3HfY2Luk&t=124s.

Then again ...Australian's designing and building our own car using Aussie materials and ingenuity...Nah , couldn't ever happen ...perish the thought ..