Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-02-2005, 10:14 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default What do you want from your Local Spare Parts Department?

As most of you probably already know, ive not long started a traineeship with my local Ford Dealer, in the Spare Parts Department. One of the things i like to do in my work is evaluate how i'm doing, and see if there is anything else i could be doing to make it better for myself, the people i work with, and more importantly, the people who i deal with - the customers.

And that point got me thinking - too often have i read on here stories of ignorant Parts guys who cant find the part you want, or who charge too much, or who just downright don't care. Sometimes you hear about things being out of stock etc etc, so i thought i would writeup a few points to remember, as well as things that i have learnt.

Keep in mind im talking for myself here, im not out to defend every Spare Parts Guy cos im sure that, like anywhere, you would get some bad eggs.

* The 1st point is (and I personally cannot stress this enough as i am new) dont treat us like assholes. Microcat, while being very easy to use, has in excess of 200,000 parts listed in it, and believe me, when you're new to the game, it can take a long time to find a part - like a needle in a haystack sometimes. Ive already had a few people get impatient with me, and ive had to explain that i am still learning. So guys, i cannot stress this enough - please give us a fair go, as we all have our mistakes and bad days, and some of us, like me, are still learning to crawl before we can walk. There seems to be a bit of stigma attached to Ford Spare Parts Guys - but we're just doing our job (most of us, some can be pretty lousy).

If you know the part is listed but we cant find it for you, help us out as much as possible by telling us EVERYTHING you know about it. Tell us your model, what series, what spec (i.e. Ghia, XR etc) and what the part you want is for, if it differs from that. The more info we have to work with, the easier it is for us to find the parts in an efficient manner - and thats what we want to do.

* Second Point. Please dont get mad at us if we make a mistake. We are human, and as ive said, we do stuff up simply because of the sheer volume of stuf we have to work with. I speak for myself when i say this, but i always try my hardest to get the job done right first time around, and if i dont get it right i will learn from it. If there's a lot of work to be done it can get confusing and very very quick paced - so bear with us, we dont do it intentionally!

* Third point. Our pricing is set by Ford, not us. Microcat tells us a price and we abide by that, or in some cases we'll alter it in yuor favour if we can. Sometimes dealers willharge more for parts than other dealers because they have to buy a certain amount at one time, or freight etc etc - this cannot be helped, and the reality is there is nothing the parts guys can do about it. All the pricing is approved by the Dealer Principal, if you have a gripe, he is the man to see.
I have no problems whatsoever giving people discounts or selling at trade price, but dont go in expecting to get a discount, as refusal will offend! As ive said, some parts we are told not to discount under any circumstances, others cost us more than usual etc. But the bottom line is that the pricing is set by Ford, not us. We are a business, we do what we have to, and yes we do make a profit but it is not as much as you would expect.

* Final point. If you have any suggestions, tell us! The Spare Parts Department serves three main groups - The Workshop, The rest of the deaelrship for things like accessories for new cars sold, and most of all You, the owner, enthusiast, customer - whatever you want to call yourself. And for that reason, if yuo have a suggestion in how we can help you or serve you better, tell us. Write a letter to the DP or the Parts Dept. Manager, because if we know what you want, chances are we'll do our best to do/get it for you.

And on that note, if any of you guys have any suggestions for improvements etc, please tell me. I can't change every parts dept in Australia, but im happy to do what i can to pass your request up the line, as well as implement it where I work (Hillis Ford Wagga). If ever you're in our dealership, please come in and say hello!
:

Last edited by b2tf; 22-02-2005 at 10:33 PM.
b2tf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2005, 10:30 PM   #2
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Well said mate, good to put a human view from the people on the other side.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2005, 10:32 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

Well thats exactly it, im just trying to explain it from my point of view because i have been on both sides.
Old 22-02-2005, 10:36 PM   #4
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess as some parts guys get more experienced & more confident in what they do they slowly become know all assholes, mostly because they think that they don't make mistakes & are quite happy to stand there & argue that the part the customer is holding in his hand does not exist & never has!
My advise to you would be to keep the enthusiasm going & ALWAYS have an open mind. Good luck.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2005, 11:05 PM   #5
Barry_v
rocknrolla

dont assume a customer knows nothing by the way he acts or talks. I often dont act like I know EXACTLY what im looking for, just in case the spare parts man knows something I dont.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2005, 11:11 PM   #6
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

I have dealt with the spare parts guys at Westpoint Ford a few times and, to be honest, they should be the benchmark for how a spare parts guy should be. Nohing but praise from me.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2005, 11:15 PM   #7
MAD
Petro-sexual

I rarely have a problem, but thats cause the guy I deal with knows XF's, and thats basically all I by parts for. But if some wires get crossed during the process, I get them to bring up the exploded parts view up on the screen and then I point out which part it is exactly, and we both win.
Old 22-02-2005, 11:23 PM   #8
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Likewise my dealings with the Ford /Toyota guys at the warehouse in Canberra have always been positive even if I'm chasing some obsolete part that were all sold to rare spares 10 years ago they are helpful and when I need something that they can supply thats where I go.
Keep up the good work and enjoy your job
Regards,
Tote
Old 22-02-2005, 11:32 PM   #9
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Okay, speaking as a person who is often chasing up parts for an older Ford (XB Falcon). I find it amazing the arrogance that some of the Spare Parts Staff (note: NOT all of them).

Going to my local Ford Dealer to chase up parts, I have come across two types of people behind the counter. The Old Guy (tm), who has been there since the days of Black & White Television, and the Young Buck (tm).

The Old Guy (tm). Late 40's plus. Has worked at the Dealer since it opened. Knows what parts are available for what car, where they are kept, and when the next delivery is due. Also takes time to have a chat when it's not to busy and ask how the car is going. Usually on a first name basis, and have been for a few years.

The Young Buck (tm). Knows all there is to know on any late model car, which factory 17", & 18" Wheels with Cheap-**** Tyres (tm) are on special this week & will tell you an AFL1 Filter for a Cleveland is obsolete (Let alone AFL1 HP). As are any other parts you may want. Knows how to look up parts on Microfish, or on the Computer, but has to be shown that the Spare Parts listing Book is under the counter. It usually helps if you look through the book yourself and point to the bit you want.

Trust this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2005, 11:48 PM   #10
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some fo you may have heard of the exploits of TheCivicMan & his Water Pump lately .....

Being a paddock bashing Civic ... hehhehe ..... I took him to SuperCheap ...... I personally cant see why anyone wouldnt go there for the situation we were in ;)

We took the part with us so they could see it ...... The eldest had made a few phone calls to try to find out who had the best price in town & they seemed to be the only place that would deal with a 14yr old boy .....

It turns out that after getting 2 different water pumps we found the right one ........

Moral of this little story ...... dont always think just because a part came off a certain yr model car ... whatever the breed of it.......... its the right part & even the picture books dont get it right sometimes .........

Our story cut short .......... The water pump that was in the car was a bodgied up out of a 78yr model (the boys car is a 80 model)......... the piccys looked right ..... but the propellor inside just didnt fit ....... the outter case we had was a 5 hole jobbie ........ the correct part was a 4 hole jobbie & the prop was a lot smaller ......

I have absolute thanks and praise for the guys at SuperCheap ........ it was no problem to them even with 2 customers who knew a bit but not a lot ........ we delt with everyone from the young sat morning worker to the manager ...... everytime we were dealt with utter respect & kindness ........

If all spare parts salespeople could act like them it would be a pleasure to deal with them ;)
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2005, 11:55 PM   #11
Tote
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And I thought that the Supercheap in Dubbo had the only intelligent employees in the chain !!
Regards,
Tote
Old 22-02-2005, 11:56 PM   #12
EA_Bender
Hmmm Gold!!!

maybe people just get ****ed off with all the (tm) crap....

but on a positive note, ive had nothing but good service form spare parts at ford, not real happy with prices but i understand its a business and they have to survive. the guys have always been helpfull to me, cause i go in knowing nothing at all...

Bender
1990 EA Series 2 Fairmont, Low Springs and shocks, 17 x 7 Advanti Flash Mags running on Falken rubber :, EL XR8 Sway Bars, NGK Iridium Plugs, New Trip Comp, Pacemaker 4480, 2.5 system 4L ED engine with surecam

Now Sporting - OED666's 202+ RWHP engine!! :dj: fully
EA_Bender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2005, 12:01 AM   #13
gravelrash

i`m a Holden & Nissan Parts Manager, the biggest problem we have is people who know absolutely nothing about their car, the figure that they must be all the same. I have a saying in my parts department "Assumption is the mother of all F*#k ups".
What really gets on our nerves are the people who must think i have a direct line with Nissan in Japan or the assembly line at GMH.
Unfortunately alot of mechanics & panel beaters have the attitude "When the shit hits the fan, blame the parts man"
Just part of the job, some will love you some will hate you.
gravelrash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2005, 12:01 AM   #14
neb
hibernating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
I have dealt with the spare parts guys at Westpoint Ford a few times and, to be honest, they should be the benchmark for how a spare parts guy should be. Nohing but praise from me.
yeah they've been great for me as well havn't had any problems
neb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2005, 12:05 AM   #15
Kryton

ok first up...praise for my local ford service department.
second...the spare parts. here in our spare parts there is a woman as the lead parts interpreter. nothing wrong with that, not at all. unless you happen to be like this woman. stuck up, thinks you the customer arent worthy of her time, cant say 'hi how are you' (or any other formal chit-chat), wont help you in anyway except for 'no', 'yeah-nah maybe next week...dunno'. even chews chewy while leaning on the desk looking down apon you.
no person from a sales point of view gets my time or respect UNLESS i get it first from them.
that is their JOB.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2005, 12:07 AM   #16
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tote
And I thought that the Supercheap in Dubbo had the only intelligent employees in the chain !!
Regards,
Tote

Tote .... I think they are ........... they were subjected to me & my boy with a part ...... it was a bodgied up part ........ they didnt think the 1st one would be right and as soon as my son rang them back they were on the job .......

I know, I know a bit more than some women ....... not much though & we were honest with them ........ they did everything humanly possible with a bad situation & I personally think they were great about it .....

We never felt like idiots & when I suggested the part was maybe a putmetogether they agreed without having that tone of ... OMG its a typical woman ..........

That to me is a great service & a great parts sales team ;)
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2005, 01:31 AM   #17
needturbo6
ooga-lagga-ligga-lagga

yeh the service from titan ford in melvile is top notch, go there a bit and always get a good price. good people too and always do thier best to get the part asap.
needturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2005, 10:45 AM   #18
tickford2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your Spare Parts Department in a few years from now will be run by YOU backtothefutura, guaranteed, there should be more with your enthusiasm :1syellow1
Old 23-02-2005, 11:14 AM   #19
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Well I have never had a problem with spare parts guys, even when I have no idea of the part I need, they try and help you, maybe I have just been lucky.

New Oak Ford spare parts have been really good, some of the guys there, know the common part numbers off the top of their head

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2005, 11:14 AM   #20
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd like to see my local dealer be a bit more proactive in their customer service. Little things like if the part required is not in stock, offer to order it in and contact the customer when it arrives...

Now I bypass the local dealership that is literally up the road for one way out of my way that is helpful, and can chase up parts they don't have on site. And they are friendly as well!!!
Old 23-02-2005, 12:09 PM   #21
MR_SIDO
you'd be popular too.....

And remember.....If you made a mistake and the you forgot to order the part tell them that the part is on backorder and they should see it in a few days, every good parts person uses it, and it will never get old.
Old 23-02-2005, 12:29 PM   #22
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SIDO
And remember.....If you made a mistake and the you forgot to order the part tell them that the part is on backorder and they should see it in a few days, every good parts person uses it, and it will never get old.
On the other hand you could try telling the truth!!! Truth is a pretty leftfield concept in business, and it blows people away because they just dont expect it.

We might not let on that we know the same old excuses, but any of us that have been around for a while pretty much know them all.

The part is on back-order.
I believe there will likely be quite a price hike for MKII.
They will soon bring out a kit to upgrade BA ICC to the premium screens.
Only our service manager personally will work on your vehicle.
or the after signing the vehicle order and ready to take delivery, I'm terribly sorry but it appears your interest rate will actually be X+%.

: its a long long time since most of us fell for any these :
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2005, 02:00 PM   #23
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Not sure what you mean with the pricing? Pricing is set basically by the parts manager, he has goals given to him from the dealer principle but its pretty unlikley that the prices would be decided on by the dealer principle.

It all comes down to how often you deal with your supplier as to what price you pay. Im not in the mechanical industry but because I buy so much stuff for our cars and have done so for the last 2 years off one Ford spare parts place they have always looked after me with trade prices and now even staff pricing, which on some items we are talking hundreds of dollars....

As for Fords set pricing, there really is no set pricing, you have your different levels of trade and a recommended retail price, doesnt mean you have to abide by it, and you will soon find that if you dont use the discount as bargaining power with customers that they will find another Ford spare parts shop. Also interesting to note that theres 30 - 40% margin in most parts.. and you still say you make bugerall.

Each situation maybe different with things like airfreight and dealer transfers (at a higher cost). I bet you dont like your customers looking over your shoulder when the price screen comes up with all the different levels of trade and cost :evil_laug

I reckon Ford and all the other parts retailers should have an online parts catelogue where customers can search for part numbers, it would make it alot easier and less time consuming for both parties involved if you ask me.

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 23-02-2005 at 02:08 PM.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2005, 02:46 PM   #24
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

The one and only problem I've had with Bayford was that the usual parts guy wasn't on the desk when I rang.

DO NOT treat me like I'm an idiot when you hear a female voice on the other end of the phone. I know my car, I know what part I need, I will give you as much information as you require. Don't then ask me if I'm sure that's what I need. :

Now when I ring back 20 minutes later and the usual parts guy is on, and he knows my name and what type of car I drive, doesn't give me the wrong price and doesn't treat me like an idiot because he assumes that because I'm female I have no idea, I call that service. _2:

Remembering regular customers names and cars etc (although your still new and in a big place, I know this could be a little hard at the moment). It's always nice to hear a friendly voice that says "Hi Nikki, how are you?, Are you after something for your EB?"

Things like that will keep me a regular and happy customer.
Old 23-02-2005, 06:11 PM   #25
Psycho Chicken
Banned

No complaints with my parts guy! Wonder if he's reading this.....

hahaha Bayford, what a crack up.

"I need mainshaft 4th gear for a T5 out of an EA, not sure if it's part of the input shaft."
"4th gear is on the cluster shaft...."
"Well, yes, but I need the 4th gear on the main shaft."
"No, it's on the cluster shaft."
"I KNOW it is, there's also one on the mainshaft, that's what I need."
"You're not listening, it's on the cluster shaft."
"I pulled the box apart and I have the exploded view infront of me, I think I know there's one on the main shaft as well, wouldn't have drive without it."
"It's on the cluster shaft."
"Ok ********, learn how a gearbox works."
*click*
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2005, 06:49 PM   #26
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

LOL Psycho C.......
backtothefuture stay as you are and you will build a great customer base for yourself and the dealership. There's nothing worse than having the wrong attitude at work especially when you have to deal on the phone and at counter sales.
My background after putting the tools away has been the Aftermarket for the last 24yrs.
Unfortunately the good counter salespersons/Service advisors are far out numbered by the incompedent can't wait till the days over and never do the extra yard led weights companys keep on their payroll.
No wonder the Aftermarket has thrived for many years.
backtothefuture the best advise I can give to you is learn the systems the best you can,read up all the info so you have kowledge and service with a smile ! Even to the Ar$eholes. Well the last one can have its limits lol
PS. Good luck with the job and say GDay to the Dave and Shane at Comerford Auto Patrs for me.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2005, 06:57 PM   #27
hambo_12

Ive dealt with Hillis on numerous occasions, and they have been great to me, and although ive heard stories, my experiences have been fine...

Its always hard to learn a new job, or a new system, so keep at it, customers can be assholes, just dont give them the satisfaction of losing your cool...
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post