Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-03-2010, 12:51 AM   #1
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Default Any Hot Wheels Collectors Out There?

(note - this thread IS indeed about the toys, and not rims!)

I've taken to collecting the Hot Wheels cars released this year, with the aim of collecting each and every car released in 2010 (so with a '10 on the packet). There's a LOT of cars to collect over a few different series' so its gonna be a fair few $ over the year, but they're just cool, and at around $2-$3 a pop they're not too bad (apart from a few I've bought off eBay so far for a bit more because of rarity and difficulty getting from shops).

Here's some pics of my collection so far. The pic of them all on the wall isn't all of them yet, I've just ran out of pins to hang them at this stage!!! Eventually, the plan is, to get them ALL up on the wall, in numerical order, based on their series. Although it looks like I'm going to need a fair bit more wall space the way I'm going!!!

Enjoy my collection so far!

And all you coupe nuts out there, keep your eyes peeled, as sometime this year they're releasing a yellow XB GT coupe with the blackouts!

Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2010, 12:59 AM   #2
XAGSV8
Member 178

I have been buying a couple for my 2yo Son who is mad about cars that I can see in your collection. Might have to buy one XB for him and one for me when they are released.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
XAGSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2010, 01:04 AM   #3
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Oops, here I am on Ford Forums, and I forgot to get a picture of this one to put here for you all!!!

Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Old 17-03-2010, 01:38 AM   #4
SDKC
To punish and enslave

Good Luck trying to get them all. (sincerely)

I tried this for the 2009 series and barely scratched the surface.
SDKC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2010, 01:41 AM   #5
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDKC
Good Luck trying to get them all. (sincerely)

I tried this for the 2009 series and barely scratched the surface.
Thanks!

Yeah there's 52 "2010 Premiere" - which means never been released before, then a BUNCH of other series' of cars mostly old ones rehashed, repainted etc.

The "Treasure Hunts" (Green stripe down the side) are going to be the bane of my existence (my eBay feedback is going up with a few recent purchases on there!) and I think I might not bother with any further "Super Treasure Hunts", as they just get to ridiculous prices on eBay most of the time.

But I'm going to give it a damn good go, at the very least I want each and every one of the 2010 Premieres!
Quote:
Old 17-03-2010, 01:51 AM   #6
Julza
871 Productions Filmmaker

awesome stuff riksta, have been collecting on and off for the last 15 years or so (all still mint in pack etc). Like SDKC has said, if you're keen on getting a whole set for 2010 it will take a bit of commitment and will really have your work cut out finding every car (not impossible but time consuming!) I reckon they're great to collect being quite cheap.

Cheers,
Julza

P.S. Where did you find the ghostbusters car? Been trying to get one for a while!

http://www.youtube.com/871productions
Julza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2010, 01:52 AM   #7
Jorgo85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been buying my 2yo boy them as well. Usually gets one if he has been a good boy at the shops. Muscle cars are the staple diet but I was disappointed the other day when he picked a satin black Lamborghini Gallardo over a '67 Fairlane GT.
Jorgo85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2010, 02:05 AM   #8
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julza
awesome stuff riksta, have been collecting on and off for the last 15 years or so (all still mint in pack etc). Like SDKC has said, if you're keen on getting a whole set for 2010 it will take a bit of commitment and will really have your work cut out finding every car (not impossible but time consuming!) I reckon they're great to collect being quite cheap.

Cheers,
Julza

P.S. Where did you find the ghostbusters car? Been trying to get one for a while!
I've got the commitment, one of my mates (also a member here, I won't name him unless he owns up LOL) is into it, him and I have been known to suss out as many stores as we can in an afternoon on the weekends just looking for new stuff, things we haven't seen before, rare ones etc.

I was lucky with the Ghostbusters car, I have my name down with a Toyworld store, they call me when they get a new carton in. Since I'm looking for work at the moment I was able to shoot straight down as soon as they called me, I grabbed it, was the only one in the whole box (of 72 cars), according to people on the Hot Wheels Collectors forums they're a bit rare. Then someone else on there said there's 2 per box, but the one I've got is the ONLY one I've actually seen, although they have been spotted at other stores.

Have you got any photos of yours, any special ones you'd care to show?

As for kids collecting them, I was at the shops with a friend today, I grabbed two Mustangs (67 Shelby & 2010 Mustang GT) and a Veyron for her little four year old boy - to open and play with. It wasn't until I got home my heart sank as I realised I don't actually have the 2010 Mustang GT yet, only the Shelby version of it!!! Oh well, hopefully I'll find another one for my collection! Apparently that one's his favourite of the three I gave him, she now hates me as she's a fan of the Red Lion as opposed to the Blue Oval, and I'm apparently converting him Can't wait to get him an XB GT!
Quote:
Old 17-03-2010, 12:41 PM   #9
SDKC
To punish and enslave

I have a 4 yo boy and so with my attempt to collect to 09 series was too purchase it, let him rip it open, take a photo of it (to prove that I had that particular car) and then let him play to his hearts content. I also trawled E-bay for motorised tracks and picked up a few quite cheap, so we both could have fun.

I played with different angles and the like for the photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hot wheels-001.jpg (57.9 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg Hot wheels-002.jpg (53.8 KB, 116 views)
SDKC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2010, 01:47 PM   #10
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Those Batmobiles are awesome.

There's so many different ones out there, my favourite would either be the one you have pictured, or the Tim Burton movie ones. Unfortunately due to my little stipulation of only buying 2010 release cars, I can't get them unless I start breaking that rule, which will mean I'll end up spending far too much money on Hot Wheels cars!

That being said, there is a new Batmobile being released this year, not sure which one it is, I've only briefly seen a picture of it.
Quote:
Old 17-03-2010, 08:43 PM   #11
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't remember if its a hot wheels or a match box, but theres a 1971 Vista Cruiser out there in green. Just like Foreman's on That 70's Show.

onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 12:36 AM   #12
XAGSV8
Member 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire
I can't remember if its a hot wheels or a match box, but theres a 1971 Vista Cruiser out there in green. Just like Foreman's on That 70's Show.
It's a Match Box. Foreman's is a 69 model Vista Cruiser. One of my son's favourates at the moment as it has two dogs hanging out the back.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
Old 18-03-2010, 11:03 AM   #13
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Awesome collection mate. Keep and eye out for the XB, next time they are on promo at work im going looking through the boxes for it :
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 11:05 AM   #14
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Holy crap, you found a Delorean and the Ecto-1. Lucky sod.

I have the Mustangs and a few Mopar ones - I opened them up for display (I don't like keeping them sealed up).

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2010, 12:35 PM   #15
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Awesome collection mate. Keep and eye out for the XB, next time they are on promo at work im going looking through the boxes for it :
As far as I know, the XB hasn't been released yet, but you can bet as soon as they are I'll be letting this forum know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fled74
Holy crap, you found a Delorean and the Ecto-1. Lucky sod.
The Deloreans are pretty common over here, I got my mate to grab me one as soon as he said he'd found them, as I thought they were going to be fairly rare. Coincidentally, it was getting the Delorean that got me started on collecting these things!!! But I know looking through shops like Big W & Target, I've seen quite a few - if you'd really like one send me a PM and the next time I find one I'll grab it and organise to post it for you.

As for the Ecto, they are a bit on the rare side, I'm on the "call list" of a certain toy store, whenever they get a new box they call a few people to come have a look - it was the ONLY one in the box. I felt lucky
Quote:
Old 19-03-2010, 02:01 PM   #16
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Riksta: PM sent.

I found this 1/72 scale Falcon XC Coupe on eBay:

eBay link

It's smaller than Hot Wheels (and a bit pricey), but would look great in any Ford collection.

EDIT:

Another one, with an XY GT : link

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

Last edited by Fled74; 19-03-2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old 19-03-2010, 02:27 PM   #17
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
(note - this thread IS indeed about the toys, and not rims!)

And all you coupe nuts out there, keep your eyes peeled, as sometime this year they're releasing a yellow XB GT coupe with the blackouts!
nice collection! i have a few from back '02 '03 '04 but just what i liked, didnt go for them whole sets.

How did you find out about the XB coupe being released? i hope thats true, i will get a couple! i've been hoping they would do some aus fords aswell

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2010, 08:42 PM   #18
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Found out about the coupe on the Hot Wheels Collectors forums.

Somebody has the 2010 international poster which shows all the cars being released in 2010 in each series.

http://scigomania.pl/doc/HW_Poster_Front_Intl_v1.pdf <-- the poster - look at the bottom row of the "2010 HW Premiere" (the very first set on the poster) - bottom row of the set, third from right.

So yeah, its true Thought the people of AFF might be happy about that one!
Quote:
Old 19-03-2010, 08:42 PM   #19
Qwik6
Unsafe @ any Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
I've got the commitment, one of my mates (also a member here, I won't name him unless he owns up LOL) is into it, him and I have been known to suss out as many stores as we can in an afternoon on the weekends just looking for new stuff, things we haven't seen before, rare ones etc.
Ok i'll own up Rik.

Here mine.

By HEINRICH PERFORMANCE & TUNING

E Series Falcon Image Museum on FB
https://www.facebook.com/pages/E-Ser...29864000453208
Qwik6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2010, 11:33 AM   #20
Fled74
The Thread Killa

Here's a few of mine:

I completed the cardmodel garage last night.
Most of the cars have had additional detail painting by me: lights, door handles, exhausts and such.

Old 30-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #21
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFXR65spd
I've been buying my 2yo boy them as well. Usually gets one if he has been a good boy at the shops. Muscle cars are the staple diet but I was disappointed the other day when he picked a satin black Lamborghini Gallardo over a '67 Fairlane GT.
I've got a 5yr old and a 2yr old... both MAJOR petrolheads... and everytime we go into a department store they always find the matchbox/hotwheels stand and ask for something... and their selections are always very good...

My 5yr old loves the muscle cars... and has most of the '10 collection at home (though mine are driven and don't often stay in the box once we leave the store)... His favourites are a Chevrolet Chevelle (white with black cobra stripes) and a 60's Pontiac GTO with a small flamejob on the nose (aqua with purple flames)...
The 2 year old loves his Hummers (not really sure where he got hooked with them)... but also can pick out the Mustangs, Corvettes, and Lowriders as he calls them(anything with fins.. Caddy, Chevys, 50's cars)...

I was a big matchbox/hotwheels kid, and when they stay with my parents, they actually play with my old matchbox cars that my mum has kept... its incredible that the cars are built that well, and even though the rear axles are slightly bowed, and the paint is slightly worn... they are still in very good condition...

My PERSONAL favourite, was my little Matchbox KITT car (Knight Rider)... I played with that car so much that I actually wore the paint off the car on the roof from pushing it around (it has a baremetal roof, but still black on the bootlid and bonnet)...

Its amazing how much joy the kids can get from $2.00.... way better than a Mars Bar or a Kinder Surprise...
Old 02-04-2010, 12:53 AM   #22
XAGSV8
Member 178

Bought one of these today in a smaller scale.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
Old 02-04-2010, 01:04 AM   #23
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My dad used to collect Hot Wheels cars up until about 8 years ago, but now the collection is practically gone. Bar a few still in storage. At one stage he had roughly $20,000 worth of cars.

He used to have a contact in Nebraska who would send him out Hotwheels almost every month. I don't mean run of the mill stuff, but very rare stuff that wasn't available over here.

I still remember when I was a kid, and we used to go to every Woolworths, Big W, Toyworld, Toys R Us etc around looking for Treasure Hunts. He started in 1996, and eventually stopped in about 2002.

My grandad, and one of my uncles used to collect them too.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 11:44 PM   #24
XAGSV8
Member 178

Here's my collection of Matchbox and Hotwheels from when I was a kid in the 80's. I had a look tonight and some are actually from the 70's as well. I have also taken a picture of my Ferrari from 1986 to compare to my Son's 2010 model. The bug has also bitten me and I have been collecting the Fords and some other models I like in the 2010 series. I will take a picture once I get a few more. They are cheap models but I am now too scared to add up how much I have spent.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
Old 23-04-2010, 01:07 AM   #25
dallasv8
5.8 litres of fun

ah the old matchbox cars, when i was a kid i had a whole swag of matchies and still do.back then hotwheels used to have weak axles but now days they are pretty cool.i still tend to buy them if they are a good lookin car.cant keep em in the box but lol.

good luck with collecting them all mate,when i was a kid i joined the matchbox collectors club but i dont think they do it anymore.i stil have the sew on patches etc lol
Old 23-04-2010, 06:49 AM   #26
seduced_xr
BF XR6

ive got a collection of matchbox cars stored in the roof. havent seen them for a good 10 years, theres i think 5 storage containers up there, i might get up there tomorrow and see what i got. i know theres an AU s1 Forte lol
seduced_xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 12:10 PM   #27
JC807
sucksqueezebangblow

XAGSV8: i remember having the FUJI car! (is it a 280ZX?)

as for Hot Wheels, i started picking them up for my 20month old boy, so he has a good collection when he is old enough to play with them properly.

it started when i found........a Datsun 510 (aka 1600) race car!
Old 23-04-2010, 02:18 PM   #28
XAGSV8
Member 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC807
XAGSV8: i remember having the FUJI car! (is it a 280ZX?)

as for Hot Wheels, i started picking them up for my 20month old boy, so he has a good collection when he is old enough to play with them properly.
Yes I think it is a 280ZX. I started buying some for my Son at the same age. Some of the cars are very well used from this age and look worse then my old cars in the photo above. He is starting to look after them more now but still likes a destruction derby every now and then.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
Old 23-04-2010, 02:29 PM   #29
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I've got some at home still...

Not sure if It's matchbox but I have an awesome craftsman series truck with rubber tyres. Cool little thing!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2010, 02:43 PM   #30
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Anyone know if the XB Coupe has been released yet??
Car #48 of this years 2010 release?