Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-10-2008, 03:22 PM   #1
Rob
Living the dream

Default The AFF Beer Thread

So, firstly, let me state, this isn't a thread about getting smashed.

Ever since I was a wee tacker, I've had a dream. A modest dream, but a dream nonetheless. That dream was to enjoy as many different beers as possible.

So, without any further rubbish, I present to you, the AFF BEER THREAD!

I'd like to start with a personal favourite of mine..

Boags St George
I find this to be one of the easiest beers to drink, while maintaining a pleasant, strong flavour. Good value too, at around $15 for a six pack. Goes well with food, in my humble opinion. 8/10. Any other fans? Anything similar? Post up some suggestions!

Another good one is Sol - I was a bit hesitant, as anything Mexican (read - LS1) has quality issues. Regardless, it turned out to be a fantastic tasting beer. Really really good, much better than Corona.

Leffe Brune - a rather potent Belgian beer, very smooth and very nice. Probably my favourite beer, haven't been able to find it bottled. For you Melbournians, Belgian Beer Cafe, or European Bier Cafe have this on tap. Leffe Blonde is very nice too, but not quite as distinct as Leffe Brune.

They also have a beer with a Pirate on the bottle, but I can't recall the name of that one.

As far as obscure beers go, few weekends ago I had another Belgian brew, I can't recall the name, but it was a brown bottle with a blue top. Something like Metz? Not sure - anyone had it?

Last edited by Rob; 28-10-2008 at 03:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Ahh a quality thread.

Me I'm a VB and Carlton fan, I'll go for whichever is cheaper at the time of me walking in to a bottlo. On a hot day after doing a bit of work nothing beats an ice cold beer, and the best cold beer is.....hang on I sound like an ad!!!! 10/10.

I will also admit that whilst in Lucerne (Switzerland) I paid 8 Swiss Francs (about $9AUD) for a nice cold can of imported VB. Damn that was good!

As for OS stuff I will always head for Holland's finest, Heineken. Although what we get here is rubbish compared to what you get there, trust me on that one. So a 7/10 for our Heiny and a 10/10 for the real stuff.

Now to make sure this thread doesn't go down hill like another I remember did I will be monitoring this, I will also stick it.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 03:40 PM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Rob, your not going to like my opinion on St George/Sol/Corona then. They are too watery for me and I wont drink them unless its 40+ degrees.

For everyday stuff I too get whatever is going cheapest at the time, Carlton Draught is my favorite, but Boags or Cascade Draught is good too.

Other than that in reference to Premo's I usually get whatever is on special. I will buy Coopers Red/Green whenever its around the $40-45 mark. Love it.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 03:42 PM   #4
Ladiesman217
I can count to potato!

Best: Carlton Draught. Good: Budweiser. Worst: Cold. The end.

Ladiesman217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 03:48 PM   #5
Lynch'd

If we're talking beer for the sake of enjoying it then its got to be microbrewed! Best by far: Little Creatures Pale Ale, Mountain Goat Hightail Ale or for a lefty Pepperjack hand crafted ale.

If its drinking for the sake of drinking then I can't go passed a nice cold VB on tap.

Wont Touch: Tooheys Spew, XXXX or Fosters.

Ceramic coated 4490's, Magnaflow high flow cat, Twin 2.5" Mercury exhaust, BPR CAI , Territory tessa pipes. :evil3:

20% Underdrives waiting to be fitted

My Build Thread
Lynch'd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 03:49 PM   #6
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Have heard that Abbott's Lager is to be re introduced, not a bad drop.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 03:50 PM   #7
05_ENFORCER

I am going Corona (with lemon of course), Redback and Hoegaarden for something different.
Old 28-10-2008, 03:54 PM   #8
Paxton
Cobblers!

I have never been a fan of the common beers. Cartlon Draught, Toohey's Draught and VB always got overlooked for Boags, Coopers and Cascade. In my Fridge at the moment, contains the last remnants of my failed attempt at home brewing, Coopers Pale Ale, and Cascade Premium, plus a large amount of Hahn Light, and Boags Light, from my 30th (in 2005).

My Favourite Local Beer, bar none is Coopers Pale Ale. If you can get it at $39.99 a case, it is a bargain. I especially like the yeast at the bottom, that many Home Brewers have cultivated to try and make their own Pale Ales.

My Favourite Imported (brewed under license) Beer, is Carlsberg. My Brother introduced me to this a few years ago, but I continuously overlook it. It is an easy drinking beer, and because it is made by the same people that make Foster's Larger, it isn't as harsh as some of the imports. I can't drink Beck's for example.

My Least Favourite beer (local or imported) is Toohey's Extra Dry Platinum. I don't get serious hang overs. Or, at least I didn't until I was coaxed into drinking this rubbish. Not only is it in a similar style to Toohey's Extra Dry, but it is stronger, but easier to drink. I haven't seen it in Dan Murphy's or Vintage Cellars for a while, which can only be a good thing.

Edit: I wouldn't go past Tooth's KB (or Dr. Reschs Special Export Pilsner) in a Long Neck, however. I miss the good old days of drinking beer, where my Dad would always allow me to open and 'test' the Long Neck. When Mum wasn't looking of course.

For more, scientific ratings, go here.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 03:55 PM   #9
irlewy86
Meep Meep

I think this thread would best survive if run similar to the steak sandwich thread

Beer: Boags Premium
Price per Carton: I think I paid $60
Drinkning situation: Midday BBQ with mates from work

Review: A medium bodied, even maybe a bit sweet beer, I found it a bit out of place in this early afternoon situation. Probably more of a late evening beer when the tastebuds are craving some TLC and sweet reprise. Easy to drink and 7/10 for refreshment.

Overall score: 6/10 scored poorly mostly due to being out of place next to the char grilled chops, may score better in future outings to some s****y Perth nightspots
Old 28-10-2008, 04:05 PM   #10
WoodysXR6
Wanting a sprint!

After reading this great thread i had to go to the fridge and crack a cold 1.MMMM
WoodysXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 04:05 PM   #11
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Beer: Soverign Lager (no longer available)
Price per carton $30 (same price as VB at the time)
Drinking Situation: More often than not dinner

Review: Soverign was a beer well ahead of its time, while CUB seemingly had the premium Australian beer wrapped up Lion Nathan attempted a comeback double filtering their best product XXXX Gold. The result was an unbeatable light-bodied, mid strength that was smooth, mild and maintained the perfect lager balance. Ultimately it didn't offer enough "bottle bling" like other premium beers to do anything spectacular and was killed in good time.

Overall Score: 9/10 My favourite mass produced beer, head and shoulders better than Carlton Crown Gold
Old 28-10-2008, 04:12 PM   #12
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Beer: Emu Export
Price Per carton: $36 for a 36 block of tinnies
Drinking Situation: You've lost the will to live

Review: A dry lager with fruity undertones (or is that just the aluminium) It certainly doesn't command respect but its lack of taste is overexaggerated. Pour it in a glass, call it a cold one and it'll chase away all the negativity the barmaid gave you when you ordered it

Overall Score: 5/10
Old 28-10-2008, 04:14 PM   #13
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
Beer: Emu Export
Price Per carton: $36 for a 36 block of tinnies
Drinking Situation: You've lost the will to live

Review: A dry lager with fruity undertones (or is that just the aluminium) It certainly doesn't command respect but its lack of taste is overexaggerated. Pour it in a glass, call it a cold one and it'll chase away all the negativity the barmaid gave you when you ordered it

Overall Score: 5/10

Ha Ha, one carton of agro please.
Old 28-10-2008, 04:33 PM   #14
ch33z1l
Dawn

I got a Hoegaarden pack for my 18th...wasnt too bad. I think i liked the size of the glass it came with more than anything
ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 04:44 PM   #15
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Belgium beers win hands down for me. Drank a few different ones when traveling through Holland and Belgium back in '05. Nothing here comes close to the greatness of those beers.

Everyday drinking: Coopers Pale Ale.
Meal in a bottle: Coopers Stout.
Get drunk very quickly: Coopers Vintage Ale

I just went to the Bierhaus in Lobethal on the weekend. They had some nice beers up there. I tried their Hefeweizen which is a whey beer, and their Pilsner. Both very nice.
Old 28-10-2008, 05:09 PM   #16
Rob
Living the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch33z1l
I got a Hoegaarden pack for my 18th...wasnt too bad. I think i liked the size of the glass it came with more than anything
Hoegaarden is great!! Great stuff I reckon. Really fresh beer.

I've gotta find the stuff with the blue label.. mmm it was good
Old 28-10-2008, 05:11 PM   #17
Rob
Living the dream

James Squire Amber Ale anyone?
Old 28-10-2008, 05:17 PM   #18
05_ENFORCER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
James Squire Amber Ale anyone?
Yes, forgot that one.
Very nice drop on a V8 supercar weekend!
Old 28-10-2008, 05:18 PM   #19
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Cant go past Tooheys Extra Dry, anything but VB or MB
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 05:25 PM   #20
Falcon4L
'04 BA XT

well me being german I love my german beers..

Paulaner Heffeweizen is one of my favourites. But it can really depend on what mood I'm in.

Erdinger also make some very good beers, but any GOOD german beer is hard to find. Won't touch Becks, I'm ashamed they call that german beer.

But still on a hot day after work there is nothing better for me than a cold stubby of VB, it's cheap and it still tastes better than a lot of other beers on the market.

What I wont touch is any tooheys products, never been a fan and probably never will be.

Also Hoegarden is a damn good beer, very refreshing and it has a very different fruity taste.

80 series Turbo Diesel Cruiser
Falcon4L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 05:26 PM   #21
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

VB stubbie's. Nothing else. That's it. To me, there is no other.
Old 28-10-2008, 05:41 PM   #22
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Hoegaarden is great!! Great stuff I reckon. Really fresh beer.

I've gotta find the stuff with the blue label.. mmm it was good
Might have been Chimay? There is a blue and a red, both ales brewed in a trappist monastery in belgium. The blue has won the world's best beer a few times. It's around 7% alc which is high for a beer, but jeez it's a nice drop

http://www.chimay.com/en/three_stron...lities_217.php

Also a fan of the Leffe you mentioned, they make great beers there. I used to do homebrewing, there are a few Hoegaarden recipes that are very close to the real thing. It contains orange rind and coriander seeds in the boil for the flavour

Locally it's Coopers, Little Creatures, Matilda Bay...VB is like cat p1ss after drinking a decent beer
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 05:47 PM   #23
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine is without a doubt Hahn Super Dry. When I see it on tap I get very excited!
Old 28-10-2008, 05:59 PM   #24
b2tf
not here much anymore

I am more of a Bourbon drinker but when it comes to Beer I go for Extra Dry, Carlton Dry, Pure Blonde or Corona. As for VB - do I look like a bogan to you?
Old 28-10-2008, 06:10 PM   #25
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not a beer drinker but after a work funded course on different beers (among other beer related benefits), i've become a fan of Hoegaarden White. I highly recommend it if you like sweet white wines.
Melz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 06:13 PM   #26
Falcon4L
'04 BA XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
I am more of a Bourbon drinker but when it comes to Beer I go for Extra Dry, Carlton Dry, Pure Blonde or Corona. As for VB - do I look like a bogan to you?

you do drive an XR8 ute... I wouldnt put it past you :P

80 series Turbo Diesel Cruiser
Falcon4L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 06:15 PM   #27
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon4L
you do drive an XR8 ute... I wouldnt put it past you :P
Oh snap, anyway back on topic
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 06:16 PM   #28
Rob
Living the dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
Might have been Chimay? There is a blue and a red, both ales brewed in a trappist monastery in belgium. The blue has won the world's best beer a few times. It's around 7% alc which is high for a beer, but jeez it's a nice drop
Nope, not Chimay, but I've seen that before - I'll have to try it next time.

At the moment I'm googling 'belgian beer blue label' not having much luck!
Old 28-10-2008, 06:22 PM   #29
Hillbilly F Truck

I like the darker stuff like Tooheys Old. Carlton Black is ok. And of course Guinness. The thing that bugs me is most beer is now foreign owned except Coopers etc.. but i always go back to Tooheys Old. Wish the money would stay here, i like to buy Australian and do so where possible.( Don't want to get off topic and ruin thread but Dairy Farmers is the only Australian owned milk /dairy left.) We're selling out, and as Australians, who are known to enjoy a sip here and there, don't have much beer left OZ owned. Shame.

Last edited by RobRoy; 28-10-2008 at 06:37 PM.
Hillbilly F Truck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2008, 06:34 PM   #30
Hillbilly F Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
I think this thread would best survive if run similar to the steak sandwich thread

Beer: Boags Premium
Price per Carton: I think I paid $60
Drinkning situation: Midday BBQ with mates from work

Review: A medium bodied, even maybe a bit sweet beer, I found it a bit out of place in this early afternoon situation. Probably more of a late evening beer when the tastebuds are craving some TLC and sweet reprise. Easy to drink and 7/10 for refreshment.

Overall score: 6/10 scored poorly mostly due to being out of place next to the char grilled chops, may score better in future outings to some s****y Perth nightspots
There was a steak sandwich thread..........? Why wasn't i told !
Hillbilly F Truck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post