Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-07-2014, 05:10 PM   #1
biased99
Occasional V8 user...

Default AUII "Fairute" "Post-build" thread...

Thought I'd start a "Post-build" thread for the Fairute...Why "post-build"? Because Matt (aka "MrEL) effectively built the car to the standard it is (and in which I acquired it).

The "Post-build" bit is the (minimal) stuff I've done since acquisition...

So, to recap, the following is Matt's work:

Start with a 2000 model year XLS Falcon Ute, with Factory-fitted 5LT/T5 combo. Also had standard A/C, power windows, low-series dash, cloth interior, Cruise Control, ABS, Driver's airbag, and 3.45LSD.

To that, Matt added/changed the following:

AU Fairlane front-end and guards. Lights have HIDs installed.
AU Fairlane Dash, Climate Control, Trip computer etc. XR8 instruments. XR8 leather seats. AU Fairlane Door cards and chrome handles. LED footwell light. Sony Explod head unit, running (via two amps) into tweeters, 6" and 6x9 speakers (factory locations), and a rather large Xplod Sub "squeezed behind the passenger's seat. Definitely "over stereo-d", but in a good way.

Mechanically, the car runs a stock (175KW) injected Windsor, with MSD ignition coils. A Larger intake has been fitted to the stock airbox (which contains the obligatory K&N filter). Exhaust is via latter-gen 220KW headers, "flanged" to 2.5" collectors/cats, and a full, dual 2.5" system. Drive is via standard T5 manual, and through a 3.9 ratio LSD. Brakes are BA/F XR6 front (drilled and slotted), and standard, solid rears.

It also had lowered suspension (Kings SL springs front/reset factory leaves with "helper" springs in the rear), and had 18x8 (front) and 18x9 (rear) Starcorp Fusion rims on it.

Gearbox originally had a short shifter fitted, and a street/strip clutch.

(Matt, feel free to chime in if I've missed anything...)

From that point, we've:

Replaced the Starcorp fusions with a set of rims which are 18x8 at all 4 corners. (Couldn't get the car road-worthied with staggered rim widths).

Also had to replace the lowered suspension with Std. height stuff, as lowered suspension is also illegal here...Shame, as the ute looked fantastic on the Starcorp and suspension combo it came with...

The street/strip clutch was quite heavy in it's action, which as someone who's driven Roadranger gearbox-equipped vehicles over the years, didn't worry me one iota. It did worry the Mrs, though, as did the "notchy" shift action associated with the short shifter, so both were replaced; the clutch with a "high clamping force/low pedal effort" number, and the shifter with standard V8 Falcon. As a result, the car drives with no more effort than most modern 4-cyl FWD vehicles.

Taking Matt's "Fairlane" theme a step or two further, I removed the XR8 seats, replacing them with those from a standard period Fairlane Ghia. In black, they are 6-way power adjustable (Driver's) and manually adjustable (passenger's). Both are in excellent condition, with no rips/tears or missing threads etc. Very few signs of wear either. Have since covered those with sheepskin seat covers in charcoal, in order to ensure that they stay in good nick.

Have also retro-fitted a passenger's side airbag to the vehicle, and replaced both driver and passenger-side visors with those from a Fairlane, so that the airbag warnings are there for both driver and passenger. (Also retro-fitted the passenger's side warning sticker at side of Glovebox compartment. (OK, I'm being a bit **** there...)

Also acquired and fitted the front "Ghia" footmats from a Fairlane, and the "Ghia" bolt hole covers for the door cards.

Next on the agenda are:
1) Speedo corrector (to ensure correct speeds are displayed, given the 3.9 ratio diff).
2) Fuel sender unit replaced (as fuel gauge, and hence trip computer DTE) are all over the place.
3) C/C unit is missing an LCD or two, so that will be pulled and sent off for repair.

So, there you have it.

The "Fairlane that thinks it's a Ute". Or the "Ute that thinks it's a Fairlane".

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3502.jpg (148.4 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3503.jpg (150.6 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3504.jpg (150.9 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3505.jpg (152.8 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3506.jpg (157.4 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3516.jpg (157.8 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3517.jpg (150.2 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by biased99; 06-07-2014 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Poor typing skills, and added photos...
biased99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2014, 10:37 PM   #2
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Default Re: AUII "Fairute" "Post-build" thread...

Great to see that a forum member bought the ute, loved the look of it when visiting Matt a couple times!

If you want a standard Fairlane steering wheel (all leather, no woodgrain) let me know, have a spare in the cupboard that I never ended up putting on my old *******.
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2014, 10:46 PM   #3
biased99
Occasional V8 user...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride View Post
Great to see that a forum member bought the ute, loved the look of it when visiting Matt a couple times!

If you want a standard Fairlane steering wheel (all leather, no woodgrain) let me know, have a spare in the cupboard that I never ended up putting on my old *******.
Thanks, I may well take you up on that! Will PM you soon, to discuss.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:22 AM   #4
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Great unit but what it really needs is a genuine Momo woodgrain wheel to finish off the look.

I just happen to have one doing nothing if you're interested, as well as the black leather consol lid and hand brake handle.

Bushbasaher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2014, 11:44 AM   #5
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Looks great biased99. Look forward to seeing it on the roads of the Nations Capital! PM Rayban76 (also in Canberra) about sorting out the airbag lights for both sides in a ute. We managed to clear his with a combination of using the dummy resistor and Forscan to clear the Trouble code. I just cannot remember the order in which we did it.

Hope to see you around.

Cheers
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2014, 01:41 PM   #6
biased99
Occasional V8 user...

Thanks for that. Would be keen to catch up with yourself and Ray; I like what both of you have done with your respective vehicles. Would have loved the LTD/"optioned" Fairlane seats, but don't seem to be able to get them without paying for all of them (fronts and rears), and the door cards. Guess I'll stick with what I have, and hope on of the latter version 6-way passenger's seats comes up somewhere.

Will definetly be in touch with Ray later in the week. Did try and read the codes from the car over the weekend, but whilst my laptop will pick up the ELM327 clone, it cannot communicate with the vehicle...

Regards,
Michael
Old 07-07-2014, 04:03 PM   #7
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Nice work Michael.

If you have trouble getting your ELM to work, both Ray and I have laptops/ELM327 and can communicate with our AUs. You Northside or south?

Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 07-07-2014, 04:19 PM   #8
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
Great unit but what it really needs is a genuine Momo woodgrain wheel to finish off the look.
Agreed.
It also needs an OEM premium head unit.
This user likes this post:
Old 07-07-2014, 04:35 PM   #9
Grippy
Racing improves the breed

That's a really unique looking ute you have there, keep us updated on the progress.

1964 Mini Cooper S Historic Group Nb Touring car

Victorian Hill Climb Championship
Grippy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #10
biased99
Occasional V8 user...

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD View Post
Nice work Michael.

If you have trouble getting your ELM to work, both Ray and I have laptops/ELM327 and can communicate with our AUs. You Northside or south?

Stu
Hi Stu,
Am North-side. I understand that Ray is South-side...You?
Old 07-07-2014, 05:09 PM   #11
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by biased99 View Post
Hi Stu,
Am North-side. I understand that Ray is South-side...You?
Hi Michael. Yeah, northside too. I am in Gungahlin. Let me know if you want a hand to diagnose.

Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 07-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #12
biased99
Occasional V8 user...

Quote:
Hi Michael. Yeah, northside too. I am in Gungahlin. Let me know if you want a hand to diagnose.

Stu
Will probably take you up on that Stu, given the picnic lunch required to get to Ray's place... ;)

As for the guys "suggesting" Fairlane steering wheels; would love to have one, but would only be in a position to if I could offload the one that's on it now to cover the costs...Have spent too much money already dicking around with things, so am looking to "economise" a bit for the next little while...
Old 07-07-2014, 07:38 PM   #13
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Haha. Picnic lunch! Some of you Canberra guys are so funny - It's a 20 min trip

A Black sportsman wheel would be perfect for your combo.

Question for Matt, if he is watching this thread, what ECU do you have running the 5L? Is it the Fairlane ECU or the original from the ute?

Cheers
Stu

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 07-07-2014, 07:41 PM   #14
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by biased99 View Post
Will probably take you up on that Stu, given the picnic lunch required to get to Ray's place... ;)

As for the guys "suggesting" Fairlane steering wheels; would love to have one, but would only be in a position to if I could offload the one that's on it now to cover the costs...Have spent too much money already dicking around with things, so am looking to "economise" a bit for the next little while...

So if I told you I have the 10 way LTD seats you wanted as well, will you now be sitting in front of your keyboard pining away in frustration that it's all oh so close yet oh so far away?:

...was that too cruel of me?

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2014, 07:48 PM   #15
biased99
Occasional V8 user...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
So if I told you I have the 10 way LTD seats you wanted as well, will you now be sitting in front of your keyboard pining away in frustration that it's all oh so close yet oh so far away?:

...was that too cruel of me?
Nah, it's all good. Would love the 10-ways, (and the steering wheel), but might have to be happy with what I've got for the time being. Reality is, the ute is an occasionally-driven "2nd car" (although I do find myself making excuses to drive around in the thing), so there are practical limits as to how far I can/should go with it...
Old 07-07-2014, 08:43 PM   #16
biased99
Occasional V8 user...

Quote:
Haha. Picnic lunch! Some of you Canberra guys are so funny - It's a 20 min trip

A Black sportsman wheel would be perfect for your combo.

Question for Matt, if he is watching this thread, what ECU do you have running the 5L? Is it the Fairlane ECU or the original from the ute?

Cheers
Stu
I won't answer for Matt (who I'm hoping will pop in and take a look at the thread, given he basically put the car together), but I would imagine that the ECU would be the standard XLS one (as I doubt the Auto one would "drive" an engine with manual gearbox...?), and the engine-bay loom is (again, I'm guessing here) spliced into a Fairlane dash loom. *shrugs* Hopefully Matt will show up soon and enlighten us all.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:45 PM   #17
MrEL
Sick Puppy

The ECU is the original 5.0 XLS one.
The harnesses haven't been spliced at all. It was all plug and play.
I just put the complete Fairlane dash in and hooked the harnesses up to their correct plugs.
PM me with how much you want for the wheel off it.
I have just bought an AU wagon and it would be nice to have a part of the old Fairute on it.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2014, 10:40 AM   #18
biased99
Occasional V8 user...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL View Post
The ECU is the original 5.0 XLS one.
The harnesses haven't been spliced at all. It was all plug and play.
I just put the complete Fairlane dash in and hooked the harnesses up to their correct plugs.
PM me with how much you want for the wheel off it.
I have just bought an AU wagon and it would be nice to have a part of the old Fairute on it.
Hi Matt,
Thanks for that. Will def. PM you re: the wheel.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:41 PM   #19
towtaltowing

ah this is the ute i saw the other week
looks really good in person ,
towtaltowing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2015, 10:09 AM   #20
grayster54
Starter Motor

I have done this conversion myself mine was an AU3 was much easier when I bought a complete donor car from the auctions. The only extra wiring I had to get was from a Futura as they have the wiring to operate the windows and doors you don't need the 4door and plus it's would have been a nightmare to sort out
grayster54 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2015, 11:02 PM   #21
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Interesting about the airbag. Mines never thrown an airbag light at me. I don't have a scan tool to check for codes though, but I thought the airbag resister mimicked a bag for the restraints module.

DTE all over the shop is something you'll need to get use to. Mine has no clue. Actually ran out if fuel with 20km's left on it a while back
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2022, 10:27 PM   #22
MrEL
Sick Puppy

So does anyone know what ended up happening with the old girl?
I've heard it got bent , I've heard it was sold and I've heard it was still getting around Canberra.
The only thing I haven't heard is it was destroyed by hail.........
Still miss the old girl.
It's a car that I would break my rule of not buying an old car back once I've moved it on.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: