Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-01-2012, 07:46 AM   #1
brad`
The Monty

Default Headlight switch/unit how to replace?

ok so my brothers AU headlight switch (next to steering wheel) is broken and dad being dad pretty much demolished it trying to fix it lol.

so my question is how do u replace it? i can get one from the wreckers well im guessing i can but i need the entire unit, i had a quick look last night and it looks as if i have to remove the speedo cluster to get to the wires behind the headlight swithch and pull it out? or is there an easier way?

i gotta do this 2night after work so any help would be awesome

cheers
brad`

brad` is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Default Re: Headlight switch/unit how to replace?

Pull out panel on end of dash and then pop out switch from behind. Wires are very short making it frustrating and all, but thats the best way.

No tools, 5 minute job. Easy
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No need to remove the cluster.

If you're careful, you can wedge the unit out from the front, but it's possible you may break the clips that hold the fascia to the unit. There's also a chance of damaging the soft dash material.

I would remove the plastic panel at the edge of the dash (only accessible when the door is open and the rubber is pulled out slightly) and from there with a bit of fiddling you can push the headlight switch unit out from the rear.
rowan194 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
MarkT83

can you replace it with an auto off headlight switch from a fairlane/mont and have auto off headlights or is that built into the bem?
MarkT83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2012, 11:24 PM   #5
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkT83
can you replace it with an auto off headlight switch from a fairlane/mont and have auto off headlights or is that built into the bem?
I just had a look at one I have in pieces, it's basically just a circuit board with a couple of tiny globes, a mini toggle switch for the delay, and a bunch of contact pads for the combo off/park/headlight/dim down/dim up switch... there's no active components like ICs or transistors on it. So I'd say the BEM takes care of that functionality.
rowan194 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2022, 10:28 AM   #6
Alcheetd
Starter Motor

Hi anyone know how to replace a 2006 Ford Falcon Ute headlight stick switch I’ve taken off but it’s replacing it correctly without the airbags going off thanks guys
Alcheetd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2022, 11:31 AM   #7
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcheetd View Post
Hi anyone know how to replace a 2006 Ford Falcon Ute headlight stick switch I’ve taken off but it’s replacing it correctly without the airbags going off thanks guys

disconnect the battery 1st.

then remove steering wheel airbag, then steering wheel [be carefull when removing wheel as it can/will come of suddenly. leave nut on a turn or so when 1st trying to remove it]. remove the clock spring [from memory it clips on?] & then you can easily work on the switches [three screws holding it on to column]. the installation is the reverse.
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: