Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-02-2017, 06:52 PM   #31
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Is Australia the first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
What other governments are sponsering their local car industry to the tune ours were.
um, all of them protect their own industry and jobs, be they european, american or japanese.

Only australia was stupid enough to think we could get a fair FTA.
Old 25-02-2017, 07:01 PM   #32
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBear View Post
What other federal Government in the world doesn't use locally made vehicles for their fleet?
Can you imagine the US using Mercedes or BMW for their politicians?
Or Germany using cars from some other country?
Shows the national pride stemming from the top down.
Would have been so easy to save, but it's not in the best SHORT TERM interest of any recent government.

Cheers,
Well the USA does use Australian made cars as cop cars...
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2017, 07:23 PM   #33
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle View Post
um, all of them protect their own industry and jobs, be they european, american or japanese.

Only australia was stupid enough to think we could get a fair FTA.
G'day YEP, even allowing for wages and inflation rates etc , Thailand just under three times our population...We buy 13.4 billion dollars off them , they buy 4.3 billion dollars worth of our stuff..That was 2015 I think..The maths is
13,400,000,000 divided by 24,000,000 people that equates to about $560 for every man woman and child we buy from them .Thailand with about 69,000,000 spends 4.3 billion so equates to about $63 for every man woman and child in Thailand...about nine times per person difference..I know it's a lot more complicated than that but based on the Dept of Trade figures I saw last year I have my doubts that it is properly fair...Remember too that Thailand is now a major car supplier of ours...Hmmmm...I hope it's evened up a bit more lately....Cheers Rod...
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-02-2017, 09:59 PM   #34
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have said it 100 times.
Lima Declaration. signed in the mid 70's. It took a bit longer to play out but it has.
We seem to be the only idiots that followed it out.

Australia is the smart country when it wants to be.
The CSIRO just cracked the Carbon-Fibre Code - Cheaper Stonger and Mass produced.
Article in Caradvice on Monday 21st Feb.
Just no car industry here to use it.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2017, 12:51 PM   #35
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
The Crown Vic was lost cause it couldn't pass future crash tests. It was nothing to do with the gfc. And it was replaced with the taurus interceptor, which is unique to the US.
Both incorrect. It was dropped as part of Mark Fields "Way Forwards" plan which called for a consolidation of platforms, the basis of One Ford. This is documented in the book American Icon.

The Taurus Interceptor was a replacement for the CV Interceptor, both essentially option packs on the base model therefore, it is not a stand alone unique to US model.

On the original question, NZ had a car manufacturing industry which has long gone.

Last edited by Kieron; 26-02-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2017, 01:54 PM   #36
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Poms are going great guns on exporting the cars they manufacturer, 2016 news.
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/topten/t...itish-exports/
https://www.smmt.co.uk/2016/01/best-...h-record-high/

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2017, 03:07 PM   #37
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron View Post

On the original question, NZ had a car manufacturing industry which has long gone.
Incorrect, NZ had a car assembly industry not a car manufacturing industry which is substantially different.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2017, 06:58 PM   #38
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
Incorrect, NZ had a car assembly industry not a car manufacturing industry which is substantially different.
True, however the fact and point remains, NZ had an automotive industry which is now gone. Yes, it was largely CKD but it also used localally made componentry.
Old 26-02-2017, 08:50 PM   #39
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There was a video posted on this forum a while ago showing the XA Falcons being assembled in NZ.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2017, 08:53 PM   #40
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
True, however the fact and point remains, NZ had an automotive industry which is now gone. Yes, it was largely CKD but it also used localally made componentry.
The OP was about the loss of Australia's car manufacturing industry...

NZ was in no way comparable to Australia's, there was no design and manufacturing of cars from the ground up like with the Falcon, it was all PKD/CKD.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2017, 10:38 PM   #41
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Both incorrect. It was dropped as part of Mark Fields "Way Forwards" plan which called for a consolidation of platforms, the basis of One Ford. This is documented in the book American Icon.

The Taurus Interceptor was a replacement for the CV Interceptor, both essentially option packs on the base model therefore, it is not a stand alone unique to US model.

The cv was body on frame. It could never be engineered to pass future crash tests. And the us taurus is unique to the us, its not sold anywhere else. I wasnt implying the interceptor was unique, the taurus it is based on is. You misinterpretted. The chinese taurus is on the mondeo platform, the us taurus is the old volvo/ford eucd? Platform first used on the xc90.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2017, 11:24 AM   #42
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
And here lies the problem. People decided they would rather drive white goods on wheels instead of Aussie made cars. Now the Falcon replacement option from Ford is the biggest white goods on wheels, the Mondeo.
Careful, every time I pipe in about this I get majorly shut down. People are in love with their soulless crap. Be it hatch back or dual cab full of gadgets and gizmos. This is the way it goes these days and the govornment doesn't want any industry anyway. They seem adamant in selling off all our assets to make a quick buck however that's another argument waiting to happen.

Despite govco pumping money into our now dead car industry, they wouldn't have had this problem if they scrapped the fair trade agreement. Now they have to permanently *** kiss everyone overseas.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2017, 01:40 PM   #43
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is an interesting list, data up to 2015, Australia ranks 33rd behind Uzbekistan for vehicle manufacture
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...cle_production.

On this list can anybody identify which countries only assemble - for instance does Canada only assemble?

I know Canada manufacture Bombardier - no cars, but ski-doo, sea-doo, CanAm atv's, Trains, LRT, aircraft, sno-cats, etc.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2017, 02:18 PM   #44
ljf12

I read recently that Australia was one of thirteen countries in the world that could build a car from the ground up, I would imagine that places like Thailand only have manufacturing plants.
ljf12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2017, 02:35 PM   #45
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
The OP was about the loss of Australia's car manufacturing industry...

NZ was in no way comparable to Australia's, there was no design and manufacturing of cars from the ground up like with the Falcon, it was all PKD/CKD.
Design is not part of manufacturing and we still have design centres here so that's irrelevant. As i mentioned, locally manufactured parts were sourced to complete those CKD's.
Old 27-02-2017, 04:01 PM   #46
xrystl

Sweden had Saab and Volvo - Saab is now defunct , the Swedish Government poured big $$ into the manufacturer but they still never made a profit , along comes GM bastardizes the Saab and makes it a Opel/Vauxhall clone and the buyers stay away in droves and still no profit,
Volvo now Chinese owned .
xrystl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2017, 04:12 PM   #47
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
This is an interesting list, data up to 2015, Australia ranks 33rd behind Uzbekistan for vehicle manufacture
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...cle_production.

On this list can anybody identify which countries only assemble - for instance does Canada only assemble?

I know Canada manufacture Bombardier - no cars, but ski-doo, sea-doo, CanAm atv's, Trains, LRT, aircraft, sno-cats, etc.
The big 3 all have plants there.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2017, 04:15 PM   #48
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unfortunately we have priced ourselves out of a manufacturing industry. High wages, high cost of living, high energy costs, high taxes, too much bureaucracy means it is simply not feasible for any manufacturing to occur in this country.

We came from Germany on the 80's my dad running his own business and the first thing he said is labour costs are simply too high in Australia to be sustainable.

It ain't going to get better, so it begs the question where will we be in 20 years from now? We have nothing to export except some raw material that we buy back processed into goods, so we are loosing on that front, we just keep going backwards.

A little scary when you think about it.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2017, 04:34 PM   #49
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
The cv was body on frame. It could never be engineered to pass future crash tests. And the us taurus is unique to the us, its not sold anywhere else. I wasnt implying the interceptor was unique, the taurus it is based on is. You misinterpretted. The chinese taurus is on the mondeo platform, the us taurus is the old volvo/ford eucd? Platform first used on the xc90.
It may well be the case but the Way Forwards plan was first shown in 2006 and the CV (along with the Windstar) was on the chopping block then. They stopped retail sales not long after, making it fleet/Police only until it's demise. If it was due to Fords inability to meet future crash test, they COULD have built it on a platform that would and kept the nameplate but that would be pointless.

Re the Taurus (which is available in Canada), I re-read what you said and understand how you meant it. Interestingly, it could be said that the Taurus was a result of GFC, a number of years earlier, the Taurus name was dropped and replaced by '500', Mullaly resurrected the Taurus name

As part of One Ford, Mullaly wanted to cast the complete Mercury division off too but that needed a managed approach due to Mercury dealers losing their livelihood, it finally happened so you could say all the Mercury models.
Old 27-02-2017, 04:58 PM   #50
XWGT