Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-02-2017, 02:19 PM   #1
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default Crash Investigation Unit scammer phone calls

Hi all, i just had a call from a Indian woman claiming to be calling from the Crash Investigation Unit.. Problem is, I haven't had a car accident in around 30 years touch wood lol!

As soon as she announced who she represented, I hung up, then remembered they called once last year too.

Anyone else had a call recently from these annoying criminals & how did you deal with them?

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-02-2017, 02:27 PM   #2
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Crash Investigation Unit scammer phone calls

Yep, I had one mid last year... Ironically My car was in getting repaired after someone hit me...lol...

As soon as she got through her spiel I called her thieving scum and hung up.. Not nice I know but yeah...

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2017, 02:30 PM   #3
malazn mafia
Boss 335

haha. First it was the ATO, then Crash investigation unit. These muppets are getting real creative. What next? Calling people and saying they are the Highway Patrol ?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2017, 02:52 PM   #4
Itsme
Experienced Member

I usually hang up when hearing subcontinent accent, seriously considering disconnecting the old land line, bloody worse than P.C. spamming.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2017, 03:40 PM   #5
Terror_Tree
SZ II TS Territory-Black

I love the ones who claim to be from Microsoft and that I have I virus on my computer. I play dumb with them. I had one going for about 20 minutes until he got that frustrated he hung up on me

FWD is the Devils work
Terror_Tree is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2017, 03:44 PM   #6
Terror_Tree
SZ II TS Territory-Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
I usually hang up when hearing subcontinent accent, seriously considering disconnecting the old land line, bloody worse than P.C. spamming.

My land line is now plugged into the fax machine, amazing how the number of calls have dropped off over the last few weeks.

FWD is the Devils work
Terror_Tree is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2017, 03:45 PM   #7
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Hi all, i just had a call from a Indian woman claiming to be calling from the Crash Investigation Unit.. Problem is, I haven't had a car accident in around 30 years touch wood lol!

As soon as she announced who she represented, I hung up, then remembered they called once last year too.

Anyone else had a call recently from these annoying criminals & how did you deal with them?

cheers, Maka

A few years ago I used to get the "I'm from Microsoft" calls up to three times a week, so thinking of a solution, I Googled 'leading mafia members in Mumbai' and it took me to the Mumbai police 10 most wanted list.

So next time I got a call from "microsoft" I broke into his spiel and in an Indian accent, I told him that ( #1 most wanted name) is a personal friend of mine and that I had told him of your annoying calls and he had placed a special call identifier on my phone and so I know where you are calling from and if you call me again he has promised to send one of his soldiers around to kill you". He hung up on me - the rude mongrel. LOL
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2017, 03:49 PM   #8
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

That first call from them last year (same women too I think), I asked who the lady caller represented & she says the crash investigation department, I ask nicely - for which company or organization? She says calmly, the crash investigation department again lol, I say I know that, who is the company you work for?

Guess what, she said the same thing again, mmm ok!

That was before she asked if I had a car accident lately lol! After giving her a nice earful, I hung up thinking that was it..

We've got a silent landline so buggered if i know how she got our private phone number damn..

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 23-02-2017, 04:02 PM   #9
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
A few years ago I used to get the "I'm from Microsoft" calls up to three times a week, so thinking of a solution, I Googled 'leading mafia members in Mumbai' and it took me to the Mumbai police 10 most wanted list.

So next time I got a call from "microsoft" I broke into his spiel and in an Indian accent, I told him that ( #1 most wanted name) is a personal friend of mine and that I had told him of your annoying calls and he had placed a special call identifier on my phone and so I know where you are calling from and if you call me again he has promised to send one of his soldiers around to kill you". He hung up on me - the rude mongrel. LOL
A very creative & effective way of dealing with these pesky scam mongers Pedro lol! This method has been put into my must use one day book!

cheer's, Maka

Old 23-02-2017, 04:50 PM   #10
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Yes: they called me a few months ago to my unlisted landline. Interestingly my son had just written his BMW off in an accident and the phone call started with something like: "our records indicate that someone at that address was recently involved in an accident." The towing company he used turned out to be connected with an Outlaw Motorcycle gang so I was wondering if they were involved in the scam too.
Old 23-02-2017, 05:43 PM   #11
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

I get a lot of these scam phone calls on my landline...

So now I answer the phone and say "Australian Federal Police... Fraud Investigation unit... Can I help you?"

They hang up very quickly!

(All my friends know I answer the phone saying that... So they stay on the line)
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2017, 05:48 PM   #12
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAXRSIX View Post
I get a lot of these scam phone calls on my landline...

So now I answer the phone and say "Australian Federal Police... Fraud Investigation unit... Can I help you?"

They hang up very quickly!

(All my friends know I answer the phone saying that... So they stay on the line)
My answer line of late has been:

"KFC Hoppers Crossing, can I take your order..."

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2017, 06:08 PM   #13
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Anyone who really needs to get in contact with me (family/friends) knows my mobile number.

Our landline handset displays "Overseas caller" when applicable. For those calls we don't bother actually answering it. Merely pick up and put straight back down.

Any other calls get around two seconds to start speaking. Any slower and you can bet it's a call centre somewhere. Immediate hang up.

I first went to the US in 1982. I was surprised at the number of people who used answering machines. I think we know why...

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2017, 07:12 PM   #14
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have had heaps of these ’Crash Investigation / Aust Transport Safety / FBI / ATO’ calls over the past few years.
I got Telstra to block all overseas phone calls, that worked for a while, but now they seem to be able to use a local or interstate landline phone number, which leads you to think that it may be genuine, until you hear the unintelligible accent.
They must get some poor unsuspecting victims, otherwise they would give it away as a bad idea ...... I don’t know what their aim is ....... the calls just keep coming.
The novelty of stringing them along, questioning them about their motives or abusing them has long worn off, I just hang up.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2017, 07:50 PM   #15
Itsme
Experienced Member

Wait till you get the ones that leave messages on your answering machine for you to ring back after their long winded spiel, impersonating the ATO.

Cheeky buggers.
2 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2017, 08:02 PM   #16
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All of these phone calls landline or mobile are from a computer that randomly dials numbers, either is a sequence or what I dont know. when you answer there will always be a second or two delay while the next operator clicks on, I have a whistle and or a fart machine (one of the grandkids left it and aint getting it back) always have interesting results, thats if I let them, usually hear the computer switcjing over and oh dear me my line went dead.
Old 23-02-2017, 08:02 PM   #17
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Wait till you get the ones that leave messages on your answering machine for you to ring back after their long winded spiel, impersonating the ATO. Cheeky buggers.
Yes that was a beauty ..... even had an Oz accent.
My house, my computer, my phone calls were under surveillance by the ATO, and I had to pay them $5,000 within 5 days, or a warrant would be issued for my arrest. Much merriment was caused by that.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2017, 08:05 PM   #18
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
My house, my computer, my phone calls were under surveillance by the ATO, and I had to pay them $5,000 within 5 days, or a warrant would be issued for my arrest. Much merriment was caused by that.
My general rule is that unless I have received a final notice in the mail or (never so far touch wood) or a knock on the door, it's bogus. With telemarketers I fain interest through the original spiel, then hang up halfway through a sentence back to them as if the line dropped out. They don't call back..
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2017, 08:48 PM   #19
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

As a cab operator I often have several legit claims in progress at once.
Totally stumps them when I ask which one was it...

They also claim to be Insurance Companies, have local numbers and even passable accents in some cases. I usually have to bear with them for a while just in case it is a legit call from some company giving me money at last, but you can tell within 30 seconds usually when they cant give you a claim number.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2017, 09:13 PM   #20
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Wait till you get the ones that leave messages on your answering machine for you to ring back after their long winded spiel, impersonating the ATO.

Cheeky buggers.
Yep.... Had that one late last year ..The message told me that the A.T.O. were investigating me for fraud ...That was a hoot...Cheers Rod..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2017, 09:21 PM   #21
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Got the crash investigation one today myself
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2017, 09:49 PM   #22
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I tell them that I am not home, and would they like to leave a message, they generally hang up straight away. if the call was on my mobile I then add their number, if it is displayed, to the blocked call list.
Old 23-02-2017, 10:17 PM   #23
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had the crash call a few months ago. Told them yes I was in an accident and that I crashed my skate board with my family on the back. They hung up on me.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2017, 11:25 PM   #24
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
My caller had the Indian accent, I still have the recorded message to play to my friends, a good laugh listening to the s### head.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2017, 08:26 AM   #25
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Caller: Hello I'm from microsoft and you have a virus.
Me: Really! What should I do?
Caller: Well turn on your computer and we can help you.
Me: OK, it's booting up now.
Me: Jeez it's been hot here, is it hot where you are?
Caller: Yes, very hot.
Me: What are you wearing, are you wearing panties?
Caller: Huh? I don't know.
Me: What you don't know if you're wearing panties? That's a little strange.
Caller: I'm from microsoft.
Me: Put you hand between your legs & feel around for panties, does it feel good?
<CLICK>
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2017, 09:00 AM   #26
Tokyo Geoff
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I string them along as possible and then when they get suspicious I ask "Does you mother know you are a disgusting thief?". The calls always at at that point.

I do however worry about older folks who may get caught by these dirtbags and hopefully the cosmic karma sphincter releases on them one day.
Geoff

1974 XB Sedan, 1974 XB Hardtop, 1991 EA Ghia (New to 430,000km), 2004 BA Fairmont, 2009 FG XR8, 2014 FGX G6ET, 2016 FGX Sprint XR6 and now...
Tokyo Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2017, 09:09 AM   #27
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Thanks for all the replies guys, very funny stories being shared lol! This is the phone number the lady rang from 02 80085855, seems its is a Sydney number..

If you see the above phone number please don't pickup or answer the phone.

cheers, Maka

Old 24-02-2017, 09:53 AM   #28
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

I've also had the old answer and hang up trick too. Some more suspect numbers - 02 91882100, 02 90995628, and 08 62450477...

Is it true that if you answer some of these on your mobile, that they can back charge some hideous rate to your bill?

Anyway, better to be safe than sorry!

Ed
Old 24-02-2017, 10:04 AM   #29
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Anyone who needs to talk to me has my mobile/Skype numbers.

For the rest - $29.95 answering phone from ALDI.

Job done.
FairmontGS is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 24-02-2017, 10:10 AM   #30
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Anyone who needs to talk to me has my mobile/Skype numbers.

For the rest - $29.95 answering phone from ALDI.

Job done.
I like the cut of your jib

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: