Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 03-07-2014, 01:09 AM   #1
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Default Focus Sport Manual

We are currently looking at buying a brand new one of these for the wife.

It will basically be the shopping trolley as well as transportation for the very very spoilt Golden Retriever. Also the daughter is about to get her learner's permit and she will learning to drive in it (and will probably try and claim as her own when she gets her licence!!!).

Is there anything that I need to consider that I may not be aware of regarding owning one of these? My wife has driven it and likes it but my mechanic has said if we buy one he will refuse to service it (jokingly).

Also happy to hear about any positive stories.....

PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2014, 08:44 AM   #2
RedChris
Starter Motor

Default Re: Focus Sport Manual

I have a Trend manual, coming on 2 years old. I don't rate the build quality (German made but has some rattles) and the plastics are on the cheap side. Despite this, the car still looks good and is a great drive I appreciate every day. No mechanical problems at all so far. I hear stories of dealer issues but mine has been good.

A colleague has a Sport manual about the same age and loves it.

The VW group product my car replaced had worse build quality, ongoing costly minor gremlins and a nightmare service experience. Definitely don't go there...
RedChris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-07-2014, 07:31 PM   #3
Freemanjr
Starter Motor

I bought my new sport manual about 2 weeks ago and can tell you, bang for bucks I love it. I'm impressed by the quality and drive. When I was looking, I took the golf, mazda 3, corolla and impreza for a drive and in my opinion nothing beats it. The golf was close but value wise had to spend an extra $5K plus to get anything close to what the sport comes standard. Two weeks in and cannot be happier, the manual is an easy fun drive and the quality is just as good as any other vehicle in this price bracket. I have read reviews regarding the auto and the salesman said it was a charectoristic of the car, but took the manual for a drive and enjoyed the smoothness of the gearbox. At the moment, can't fault it. Hope this helps.
Freemanjr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2014, 07:33 PM   #4
Freemanjr
Starter Motor

Wink Re: Focus Sport Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemanjr View Post
I bought my new sport manual about 2 weeks ago and can tell you, bang for bucks I love it. I'm impressed by the quality and drive. When I was looking, I took the golf, mazda 3, corolla and impreza for a drive and in my opinion nothing beats it. The golf was close but value wise had to spend an extra $5K plus to get anything close to what the sport comes standard. Two weeks in and cannot be happier, the manual is an easy fun drive and the quality is just as good as any other vehicle in this price bracket. I have read reviews regarding the auto and the salesman said it was a charectoristic of the car, but took the manual for a drive and enjoyed the smoothness of the gearbox. At the moment, can't fault it. Hope this helps.

And yes, I have a very spoilt Goldie as well
Old 03-07-2014, 08:56 PM   #5
gassed250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedChris View Post
I have a Trend manual, coming on 2 years old. I don't rate the build quality (German made but has some rattles) and the plastics are on the cheap side. Despite this, the car still looks good and is a great drive I appreciate every day. No mechanical problems at all so far. I hear stories of dealer issues but mine has been good.

A colleague has a Sport manual about the same age and loves it.

The VW group product my car replaced had worse build quality, ongoing costly minor gremlins and a nightmare service experience. Definitely don't go there...
Are you sure its German built ?

I though the trend was built in Thailand
Old 04-07-2014, 08:47 AM   #6
RedChris
Starter Motor

The earlier 'mark 1' LW Focus is German built, the later 'mark 2' is Thai built. You can tell by things like lack of centre armrest and indicators on the left in the mark 1.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:56 PM   #7
gassed250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedChris View Post
The earlier 'mark 1' LW Focus is German built, the later 'mark 2' is Thai built. You can tell by things like lack of centre armrest and indicators on the left in the mark 1.
well there ya go, learn something everyday
Old 04-07-2014, 02:29 PM   #8
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Only German built focus now is ST.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2014, 05:31 PM   #9
JutroXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I took ownership of a new sports manual. Can't complain. Quality seems good. Although I've only driven 450km.

FGX XR8, Auto, Black.

WG Fiesta ST Manual, Black.
JutroXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2014, 12:12 AM   #10
Terry55
Starter Motor

Hi PG2
I have had my LW manual sport since Dec 2012 and have covered 54000km. I could not be happier with the car. No mechanical issues, no interior falling to bits issues, tyres are wearing well etc etc.The only thing I don't like is the high beam headlight performance. My car prior was an FG Falcon and that blew away the focus lights. They are not the worst I have experienced , I guess I expected more from a new car.
Adrian
Terry55 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2014, 11:16 PM   #11
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

JUST AN UPDATE......

We bought the Focus Sport with the upgrades (keyless start & emergency assist). Looking forward to picking it up.

Thanks to everyone who offered their experience(s).
Old 20-07-2014, 10:16 AM   #12
351henryv8
ef fairmont 5 litre

Looking at buying a demo with 100km on it for wife. $20,500 drive away it has the 2 litre engine and mags and reverse sensor and dual zone climate control (cant remember the badge on the boot...) I loved the way the engine knows when you are using the clutch so you don't have to use accelerator until you have fully let the clutch out ie it idles up and compensates for load on engine.. I don't think the mazda 3 did this and for the price the ford looks good.
351henryv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2014, 10:17 AM   #13
351henryv8
ef fairmont 5 litre

oh I think it was a "Trend"
351henryv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #14
dan-

i bought one for the missus and she mostly likes it, but she complains about the high door sils making the car feel claustrophobic. i heavily involved her in the purchasing process and she said nothing about this when we were choosing the car..... women!!

i would also suggest you look into the auto. i find it to (mostly) be a really enjoyable auto to drive. occasionally it throws a wobbly but i think it is just software, ford reset it fairly quickly.
dan- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2014, 08:22 PM   #15
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Seeing as I asked everyone for their thoughts, I thought that I had at least better post my thoughts on here.

It is a fantastic car - so far.......

I think that I now get why large cars are struggling in sales. In terms of value for money and the features list, compared to a large RWD car there is no competition - the Focus wins. Speaking of features the Ford Sync is a good bit of kit.

On the downside the rear leg room is lacking compared to the larger car (but that is to expected). It appears that I may need to change my driving style as the car keeps indicating to change gears when I feel that it is not ready to do so - this can get annoying seeing it light up on the dash. Also, and this is merely due to me, I seem catch my foot on the foot rest occasionally when engaging the clutch.

I admit that I am a large RWD car fan but I am now also a small FWD car fan. I thought the car would really struggle in terms of torque steer. However since taking delivery, not once have I been disappointed and felt like that I am 'only' driving a FWD car.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:37 AM   #16
RedChris
Starter Motor

I wouldn't worry about the gearshift indicator. It is set up to deliver max economy and I don't generally follow it as it suggests an upshift too early for my liking. It can also be turned off in the multi function display settings if you like.

You can very occasionally get a little torque steer but it is not common. The handling, on the other hand, is one of the best features of the car. Enjoy!
Old 11-08-2014, 06:12 PM   #17
Freemanjr
Starter Motor

I thought is was there to teach people how to drive like grandma.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:51 PM   #18
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
JUST AN UPDATE......

We bought the Focus Sport with the upgrades (keyless start & emergency assist). Looking forward to picking it up.

Thanks to everyone who offered their experience(s).

What did you pay. My sister paid 27288 for an auto sport with mats, full tank, tint and premium plates.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2014, 09:13 PM   #19
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
What did you pay. My sister paid 27288 for an auto sport with mats, full tank, tint and premium plates.
Did you get the upgrades? If you did that appears to be a fantastic price.

I didn't see the final paperwork (the wife signed for it) but we bought the manual with the mats, full tank, tint and premium plates. Almost forgot the candy red metallic paint!

Edit; price sent via PM
Old 11-08-2014, 10:06 PM   #20
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

No upgrades was another 2k for things that annoyed her on the test drive. Hated the keyless start for some reason.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:07 PM   #21
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Was yours an my14 upgrade. Also hers is 2014 built
Old 11-08-2014, 11:08 PM   #22
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
Was yours an my14 upgrade. Also hers is 2014 built
Yeah, we got the upgrade. There was an upgrade from June 2014 build (MY14.75???) which included Keyless entry and start with emergency assist. The keyless start was not the be all but the emergency assist was as our young daughter will start driving next year.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:32 PM   #23
pizztaker
Starter Motor

Got my Focus Sport in June and have racked up a massive 4500Km so far. I'm a big RWD car guy and until very recently a sportbike guy and I have to say I'm loving the Focus.

Kit Level is really good, and adding a K&N air filter and much more flowing rear muffler (read customer straight pipe) has liberated a little more power and quite a pleasing noise.

My only issue was the pitiful headlight performance but now I've changed out the headlight globes I can live with that until someone can point me to a HID solution.
pizztaker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post