Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > FPV-Tickford Club of NSW > FPV-TCNSW Club Discussions

Old 10-08-2005, 11:53 PM   #1
greenman43
greenman43

Default Known problems with BA Mk1 XR8s

Guys,

Thanks to those who responded to my earlier thread. I'm now target-fixated on an '03 BA XR8 with 5-speed, and on the cusp of doing a deal (finance approved and a car in my sights).

Can anyone tell me pleasae if there are any known faults or problems with this model, anything i need to look out for when giving it the test-drive and the once-over ?

Thanks again in advance,
Brian

greenman43 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2005, 12:00 AM   #2
gtfpv
GT

just be care full i was in the market for a BA 2nd hand xr8 . think about it . the only good one you will buy is someone who has already updated and didn't want to lose to much on a trade in. end of story .
reality is unless what i siad is the case it has been thrashed . and maybe crashed . or at least definately not cared for .
all the ones i looked at were anyway . if it was an xt or futura your after it would be a differant story . but its a 2 year old v8 . if they are good people hang onto them or update them that is it. in the end i bought new . fell in love with GT's.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2005, 04:34 PM   #3
FPV GT
I Like To Shake It

I have friends who had issues with brake shudder and warping of rotors,
drivers side window coming down when central locking.
Check inside wheel arches for little bits of rubber, detailers usually miss this.

Regards

Paul

2016 S550 TY GT Coupe....some loud bits and some glass bits

I like My GT SHAKEN, and Blown
Happiness is a TY S550, a 1911 semi automatic, and the Lovey Lizzie by my side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely Lizzie
whilst looking at man riding a pee wee 50
"That sure does nothing for his masculinity"
FPV GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2005, 05:50 PM   #4
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The good thing is that whatever you get shouold be under warranty still.
Like all falcons since the AU, watch the brake shudder. The timing chain tensioners can get rattly too. Otherwise, look at the example you have objectively and look for faults in it. I would expect you could pay the NRMA to do a vehicle check before you buy to make sure it hasn't had a huge hit and been repaired amongst other things. The RACV are EXTREMELY picky on their inspections ( I have heard them called Character Assassins ) which is great when you are the buyer. I expect that the NRMA would be the same.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2005, 09:23 PM   #5
BOSS 540
70 Mercury Eliminator

[QUOTE=greenman43]Guys,

Thanks to those who responded to my earlier thread. I'm now target-fixated on an '03 BA XR8 with 5-speed, and on the cusp of doing a deal (finance approved and a car in my sights).

Can anyone tell me pleasae if there are any known faults or problems with this model, anything i need to look out for when giving it the test-drive and the once-over ?

Brian, I bought a Feb 03 5spd with 18,200ks in June 2004 and have had no drama's. Its now just ticked over 30,000ks and the only work at FORD has been my own request. I have had the timing chain tensioners done under warranty and thats it. Some have also said the first of the manuals have a good clutch, mines no problem either. If you are carefull in your choice Im sure theyre are plenty of good examples.
Old 20-08-2005, 07:07 PM   #6
greenman43
greenman43

Default Thanks to all

Guys,

Many thanks once again for the valuable input. I looked at three cars today, drove two, and plan to buy one of them tomorrow.

I'll also ask in a seprate thread, but can someone tell me where I'll find the compliance plate that lists the options ? I can see two stickers on the RF strut tower, butno sign of a plate anywhere.

All the best,
Brian
Old 20-08-2005, 07:10 PM   #7
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman43
Guys,

Many thanks once again for the valuable input. I looked at three cars today, drove two, and plan to buy one of them tomorrow.

I'll also ask in a seprate thread, but can someone tell me where I'll find the compliance plate that lists the options ? I can see two stickers on the RF strut tower, butno sign of a plate anywhere.

All the best,
Brian
If it's january 04 or later build, open the drivers door, and check the stickers on the A pillar.

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2005, 07:14 PM   #8
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

Yeah, on the A pillar. They're cheapo stickers, not proper plates anymore.
Old 20-08-2005, 07:58 PM   #9
greenman43
greenman43

Quick response, fantastic, thanks guys. So they've definitely moved away from plates ? I'd have thought that something permanent would have been required by law, to avoid the possibility of some dodgy character (read: used car salesman) 'updating' the vehicle.

Cheers,
Brian
Old 20-08-2005, 08:21 PM   #10
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
Quick response, fantastic, thanks guys. So they've definitely moved away from plates ? I'd have thought that something permanent would have been required by law, to avoid the possibility of some dodgy character (read: used car salesman) 'updating' the vehicle.

Cheers,
Brian
Definitely moved away.
Open drivers door, and on the A pillar there they are.

They are bound to have some sort of protection on them.......
Who knows...............
Hope this helps.
Cheers

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2005, 08:52 PM   #11
greenman43
greenman43

Great, tells me exactly where to look. I was a bit confused today ; car had leather interior and premium sound, but no indication on the dstickers under the bonnet. Will be good to clarify tomorrow.

Thanks for all your help,
Brian
Old 21-08-2005, 10:58 PM   #12
greenman43
greenman43

POST SCRIPT :
Thanks to all who responded on this. As the car I was chasing was an early '03, the stickers were under the hood, and didn't show the options.

Despite my best intentions, I didn't get the car today :( I got offered a trade-in for my French box (appropriate or note, it doesn't get the deal done for me). At the moment I'm gritting my teeth in disappointment, having a number of medicinal ales to console myself, and reasoning that if I can't do the right deal now, perhaps it means there's a GT for me further down the track

Thanks again to everyonme for your help,
Brian
Old 22-08-2005, 02:08 AM   #13
greenman43
greenman43

Default Clarification : in case anyone read this

Just to be clear, this should read, "a s... trade-in on my s...box'.

Another victory for the powers of free speech.

Cheers,
Brian
Old 22-08-2005, 02:24 AM   #14
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Just to be clear, this should read, "a s... trade-in on my s...box'.

Another victory for the powers of free speech.

Cheers,
Brian
hows this i bought a new GT AND SOLD MY EL XR8 PRIVATELY . IF I'D VE TRDED IT IN THE CHANGE OVER PRICE WOULDV'E BOUGHT ME A XR8 INSTEAD OF A GT . SO IF YOU CAN BUY IT UP FRONT . SELL YOUR CAR PRIVATELY YOU WILL SELL IT FOR A LOT MORE THAN TRADE IN PRICE . SO GO IN THERE WITH CASH AND KNOCK A FEW THOUSAND OFF THE XR8 . THEN SELL YOUR CAR FOR MORE THAN THEY OFFERED TRADE IN . IT IS THE ONLY WAY TO DO IT .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2005, 10:38 PM   #15
greenman43
greenman43

Unhappy

It's a great plan, except my s...box is going to be extremely difficult to sell privately ; apart from being a generally unpopular and unloved model, it has a mysterious resonation that I've spend a lot of time and money unsuccessfully trying to track down, which also detracts massively from the driving experience.

I think it was Al Bundy who once, "Am I alone here in hating the French ?" I doubt I can ever fogive the garlic-munchers for this automotive abomination.

My last hope for the time being is to trade it in a couple of months when my wife gets a new car, as well as trading her '96 Laser. There's every chance, of course, that the offer will be just as ordinary ...

Cheers,
Brian
Old 26-08-2005, 12:51 PM   #16
bprint xr8
more posting less lurking

Used to have a oct 03 build mk1. Great car and I only traded up to get a devil r. Had no issues with it whatsoever.

In fact, the driveline in that car was quieter than the devil r, so for my driving experience so far i actually prefer the 5 speed to the 6 speed.
Old 20-09-2005, 08:09 PM   #17
BOSS 540
70 Mercury Eliminator

XR8's are also known to cause problems for sh-tbox holden drivers who mistakingly think they can beat one. lol..
Old 20-09-2005, 08:16 PM   #18
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSS 540
XR8's are also known to cause problems for sh-tbox holden drivers who mistakingly think they can beat one. lol..
Yeah, mine's a real trouble maker!
Old 20-09-2005, 08:27 PM   #19
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Cheers,
Brian
Those stickers are better then you all think. With normal compliance plates you can easyly remove and replace the aliminiun plate. With these new compliance stickers they self destuct and fall to pieces when you try to remove them, Therefore it is harder to rebirth the BA and whit the added protection of data dots on the FPV that make it extremely hard to rebirth a FPV.

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2005, 10:43 PM   #20
jaskel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

from what ive seen they get a little rattly after big km,s
jaskel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post