Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-01-2017, 07:27 PM   #1
superyob
Banned

Default bankrupt senator

Question. If a bankrupt person is not allowed to hold political office, should the unemployed be allowed to vote?
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-01-2017, 07:36 PM   #2
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Default Re: bankrupt senator

Not seeing the connection in your question?
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2017, 07:48 PM   #3
.:4:.
Kicking back

They should be able to. Not all are unemployed by choice and many held active roles in society. Even the "dole bludger" should still have the right to have a say in what parties policies they find are best for the country. On the other hand a bankrupt polly could be seen as a person (who likely has) mismanaged funds to end up in the hole. Not very good if tasked with managing the country's debt
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2017, 07:57 PM   #4
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Not seeing the connection in your question?
The question popped into my head concerning Rod Culleton's bankruptcy and resulting ineligibility to be a senate representative. So I asked if you can't serve while bankrupt, should those drawing unemployment also be ineligible to have a vote. Both presumably have no economic power..
Old 12-01-2017, 08:27 PM   #5
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Are we talking about his financial or morality bankruptcy?
Old 12-01-2017, 08:29 PM   #6
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
The question popped into my head concerning Rod Culleton's bankruptcy and resulting ineligibility to be a senate representative. So I asked if you can't serve while bankrupt, should those drawing unemployment also be ineligible to have a vote. Both presumably have no economic power..
Yes, unemployed people should be able to vote. It's not a question of economic power - bankrupts are disqualified under federal law. Simples.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2017, 08:31 PM   #7
Kicking back

Quote:
Thats a very fair call, I didnt think of that. There is no rule that says a person who has gone bankrupt cannot get another job. Come to think of it, it's like a person who owned a vcr repair shop and stuck by it with failing sales. Technology has pretty much made the video cassette redundant.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:31 PM   #8
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Section 44 of the Constitution re Disqualification
Any person who….
(iii) is an undischarged bankrupt or insolvent….
…. shall be incapable of being chosen or of sitting as a Senator or a Member of the House of Representatives….

Following on from section 44 is another section stipulating how a Member or Senators position becomes vacant after taking advantage of the insolvency and bankruptcy laws that have been enacted in Australia:

Section 45 Vacancy on happening of disqualification
If a senator or member of the House of Representatives….
(ii) takes the benefit, whether by assignment, composition, or otherwise, of any law relating to bankrupt or insolvent debtors; or his place shall thereupon become vacant.

per: http://www.cefa.org.au/ccf/why-can%E...sit-parliament
Quote:
Prior to Federation in 1901, there was quite a bit of debate as to whether someone being bankrupt should disqualify them from sitting in the Parliament. One of the great contributors to Federation, Henry Parkes had claimed bankruptcy several times and it was still considered dishonourable during the 1890’s. The discussion at the conventions was about the harshness of disqualification when many bankruptcies occur through misfortune, illness, unemployment or unstable economic conditions.

In the end it was decided that there was the potential for a bankrupt Senator or MP to be influenced (i.e. corruption) and so this section was kept to protect the Commonwealth. Others might imagine that an MP or Senator who is trying to avoid bankruptcy might be more easily influenced so they can keep their job. This kind of sentiment led the Labor Party to claim that Senator Day’s vote was tainted and should not be accepted by the Liberal Party.
And of course as soon as an unemployed person is elected to Parliament they are no longer unemployed. And of course the should be allowed to vote; as a disadvantaged group the unemployed more than anyone should have a say about who should manage the economy of the country. Or are you suggesting we go back to the days of when only the male privileged Lords could vote? A more legitimate question might be: Should prisoners be allowed to vote?
Old 12-01-2017, 08:33 PM   #9
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

Cant be a polly if your bankrupt, but ex-cons can hold office??
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2017, 09:11 PM   #10
superyob
Banned

All I was asking is that if one cannot lead if one is economically unable, should one be able to have a say in the direction of the country's government while one is presumably economically unable.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:20 PM   #11
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
All I was asking is that if one cannot lead if one is economically unable, should one be able to have a say in the direction of the country's government while one is presumably economically unable.
So old age pensioners cannot vote?
What about disability?
What about part time workers?

And if I earn lots can I vote twice?
Old 12-01-2017, 10:31 PM   #12
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
if one cannot lead if one is economically unable
It's not about leadership (he not the PM or even the party leader) or about be economically unable; it was about the perception that a bankrupt was more likely to be open to corruption.

Quote:
In the end it was decided that there was the potential for a bankrupt Senator or MP to be influenced (i.e. corruption) and so this section was kept to protect the Commonwealth. .
I also suspect in part it was/is about serial bankrupts and the negative image they would bring to the role.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:05 PM   #13
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
So old age pensioners cannot vote?
What about disability?
What about part time workers?

And if I earn lots can I vote twice?
I think my original question is clear enough...
Old 12-01-2017, 11:16 PM   #14
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I wrote a long post, frowned at the OP and then deleted what I was going to write.

I can't even.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2017, 07:39 AM   #15
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
I wrote a long post, frowned at the OP and then deleted what I was going to write.

I can't even.
What is so offensive about my question JD?

Or are we only allowed to ask questions that will keep the usual echo chamber of the supporters of a particular narrative in virtue signalling, in agreement???
Old 13-01-2017, 09:32 AM   #16
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
It's not all about the economy/economics

Governments are there for all society and their role is FAR more than just managing the economy. Something many seem to get confused about these days, including the pollies.

Employed/Unemployed you're still part of the broader society that will be influenced by government policy. So yes, the unemployed deserve a vote as much as anyone else.

2 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2017, 09:37 AM   #17
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Dignity is not preserve of the rich or privileged nor is destiny...neither is luck. Ring up the Salvo's or Vinnies & ask how important unemployed volunteers are to them. Are bankrupts still allowed to vote lol? Lets stop them too then ha ha lol!

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2017, 10:14 AM   #18
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
What is so offensive about my question JD?
I never said I was offended.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2017, 12:22 PM   #19
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Being unemployed is a totally different kettle of fish to being an undischarged bankrupt, just as holding a political position and being able to vote are totally different.

I'm not sure how you could even think of both in the same thought.

Being unemployed shouldn't take away your rights as a voter.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2017, 05:48 PM   #20
superyob
Banned

I have worked and paid taxes all my life, since I left school many years ago. In that time, many in a generation of able bodied men have chosen to become long term parasites, living off the cream of other people's wealth. Why should they get the same voting rights???

And while you are sputtering with indignation at the very nerve of me asking such a question, give me facts as to why you disagree, not emotional feel good virtue signalling rhetoric...
Old 13-01-2017, 06:08 PM   #21
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
I have worked and paid taxes all my life, since I left school many years ago. In that time, many in a generation of able bodied men have chosen to become long term parasites, living off the cream of other people's wealth. Why should they get the same voting rights???

And while you are sputtering with indignation at the very nerve of me asking such a question, give me facts as to why you disagree, not emotional feel good virtue signalling rhetoric...
There is a good chance I pay a lot more tax than you. Should I get "more" of a say than you? After all I contribute more.

Here is what we can do
1: Work out someone's net position in regards to the financial contribution to Australia. That would be taxes paid - minus benefits like child supplement, medical costs etc.
2: Apportion voting based on the net contribution. So someone paying say $20K in tax PA gets 1 Vote, someone paying $80K in tax gets 4 votes.
3: Corporations pay tax too. Allow them to vote?

Seriously, voting is your right of citizenship.

I don't begrudge it going to help those that need help.

Start a thread on polly perks and I'll be right there cheering you on!!!
Old 13-01-2017, 06:33 PM   #22
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

I'd rather pay these people their $270/week or what ever it is then my car being stolen, my house being done over or being murdered because I have $50 in my wallet.

If they want to sit back and collect their piddly tax payer money then let them, they're not living the life of luxury.

Have a look at how many jobs are going and how many unemployed and or underemployed people there are.

The numbers are hugely different, i'd rather focus on job creation, infrastructure projects nation wide, 457 visa rorting and wage exploitation rather than worrying about some douche collecting $270 a week or what ever it is on the dole (who are in the minority).

Too much worrying about losing $270 from some lazy sod rather than Apple, Google, Microsoft and mining companies paying SFA and me and you paying for them.

If anyone disagrees with my opinions then I offer the other option of a communist dictatorship with me as the evil leader, I'll make you guys do all the work, take the rewards and eventually be murdered by rebels funded and armed by the USA when I tell Apple to GAGF
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2017, 06:54 PM   #23
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

The right to vote has nothing to do with how much you do or don't earn.

Here's a quote from J Baker, one of the original advocates for voting rights in South Australia - "A man came here to benefit himself and his family and the fact that a large family prevented a man from acquiring property is no reason why he should be disenfranchised."

This is from the HRC -

"A healthy democracy makes sure that all members of the community have equal access to the political process. Australia is a democratic nation where governments are elected by popular vote. However, even though almost all Australians over 18 years old have the right – and the obligation – to vote, not all Australians enjoy that right as a practical matter."

Date: 2010
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2017, 06:57 PM   #24
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
If anyone disagrees with my opinions then I offer the other option of a communist dictatorship with me as the evil leader, I'll make you guys do all the work, take the rewards and eventually be murdered by rebels funded and armed by the USA when I tell Apple to GAGF
Will your slogan be "Make Australia great again" ?

If so, you're a shoe-in

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2017, 07:11 PM   #25
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
The right to vote has nothing to do with how much you do or don't earn.
I agree, I make more then alot I know who are smarter then myself, that doesn't mean I'm a wealthy person at all, I still go week to week on pays. My old man is probably the smartest man I know, took some massive risks in the late 90's to start (with 2 other colleges) a company that now has over 350 franchises in all mainland states (not sure about tasmania). He made his millions and retired 13 years ago at 50. Yes he is more in depth with politics then myself, but not working for years doesn't mean he cannot have his say, and the fact he has money then me means he has no more of a say then me. I would cut my right arm off to just get the dividends he gets once a year, but I still get my vote, because some policies will affect my situation different to his and vice versa. It's all a poll that uses all situations and their numbers and opinions to elect what is right for the people.
Old 13-01-2017, 07:27 PM   #26
fitzy1980

Not sure what point your trying to make..

All major developed countries of the world have redistributive tax systems.

According to the ABS if your not earning at least $1200 a week your taking more from the tax system than your contributing.

May as well take away there right to vote too..
fitzy1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2017, 07:33 PM   #27
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy1980 View Post
Not sure what point your trying to make..

All major developed countries of the world have redistributive tax systems.

According to the ABS if your not earning at least $1200 a week your taking more from the tax system than your contributing.

May as well take away there right to vote too..
What about the gst? I rich person eats as much as a poor person, yet the 10% on the same amount of food is a greater percent of the poor persons income. It's a regressive tax.
Old 13-01-2017, 09:47 PM   #28
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
What about the gst? I rich person eats as much as a poor person, yet the 10% on the same amount of food is a greater percent of the poor persons income. It's a regressive tax.
The rich person also spends more on basics like groceries and eating out, let's face it, the more you earn the more you spend, they contribute more to gst for treasury.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 13-01-2017, 11:18 PM   #29
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
The rich person also spends more on basics like groceries and eating out, let's face it, the more you earn the more you spend, they contribute more to gst for treasury.

The CEO on 100x the wage of the average worker doesn't eat 100x the amount of food...
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2017, 11:43 PM   #30
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well when you think about it, it is the most vulnerable vote that matters most so they should absolutely have a vote. People steal to get by otherwise.

I'd much rather pay for it than have to rely on it to live. I spent nearly $5k on my holiday so I know where I want to be.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post