Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-01-2017, 11:06 AM   #91
cro142

Default Re: Should I refund a deposit for a classic used car sale?

I suppose for me as a seller, the taking of a deposit is an act of good faith and therefore signals a genuine intention that the buyer will proceed.

On the part of the buyer, the giving of a deposit is a signal that he has secured the purchase and will not be gazumped by another buyer until he can finalise the transaction.
cro142 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2017, 12:13 PM   #92
xr8cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
To those saying they'd give it back

I'm curious, if you take normally a deposit before finalising the sale of a car?

If so and you would give it back, why do you bother taking a deposit?

What purpose does the deposit serve?
Exactly. All your doing is holding onto a strangers money, twiddling your thumbs whilst they decide if they really want it or not. Meanwhile your real buyers have gone elsewhere & your down time & cash as you have to re advertise, so basically your paying for a shopping expedition. Complete waste of time. Any registered business in the world will keep a deposit when the buyer defaults on the sale, it is the way of the world.
xr8cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2017, 02:38 PM   #93
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I'm curious, if you take normally a deposit before finalising the sale of a car?

I don't take one...

As explained if you take 500 bucks or whatever, YOU have locked yourself in and buyer can now screw you around (which is not uncommon)

I don't take anything and make it clear, you bring me all the $$$ and take the car. That way my options are open and I'm in control... they muck around they risk the car being gone.

Give me one single advantage the seller has by accepting a deposit?

As a buyer I'll push to give a deposit, get a receipt even take something like the log books...again that way I'm in control...
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-01-2017, 03:26 PM   #94
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
I don't take one...

As explained if you take 500 bucks or whatever, YOU have locked yourself in and buyer can now screw you around (which is not uncommon)

I don't take anything and make it clear, you bring me all the $$$ and take the car. That way my options are open and I'm in control... they muck around they risk the car being gone.

Give me one single advantage the seller has by accepting a deposit?

As a buyer I'll push to give a deposit, get a receipt even take something like the log books...again that way I'm in control...
I went down the no deposit route once. Old mate texted me repeatedly (i hate that) saying he wanted to come down the next day with cash to buy my car. He offered about a grand less than I wanted. I said okay but if someone beats him to it with cash I will sell the car to them instead.

Guess what? Another buyer came around that afternoon, offered $500 more than old mate and gave me a $500 deposit to hold the car for a day.

I texted old mate back (ironic I know) saying sorry car's been sold. 30 seconds later his on the phone screaming abuse at me, saying we had a deal, I had no right to sell the car and how he was gunna drive down and **** my **** up. I ended up telling him to **** off and called the police.

Sold the car next day.

In my experience, once I have a deposit, I dont have a problem.

Mercury Silver 03 BA GT-P Tremec TR3650 Number 534

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

RIP Fish 15/1/73 - 9/2/19
290GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2017, 07:58 PM   #95
xr8cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 290GTP View Post
I went down the no deposit route once. Old mate texted me repeatedly (i hate that) saying he wanted to come down the next day with cash to buy my car. He offered about a grand less than I wanted. I said okay but if someone beats him to it with cash I will sell the car to them instead.

Guess what? Another buyer came around that afternoon, offered $500 more than old mate and gave me a $500 deposit to hold the car for a day.

I texted old mate back (ironic I know) saying sorry car's been sold. 30 seconds later his on the phone screaming abuse at me, saying we had a deal, I had no right to sell the car and how he was gunna drive down and **** my **** up. I ended up telling him to **** off and called the police.

Sold the car next day.

Sounds like you were always going to have trouble with that fella. A good job he missed out by the sounds of it. What a tool...
Old 22-01-2017, 02:50 PM   #96
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Sold the car next day.

Imagine if you took 500 off the first guy...he would have definitely come back to take retribution and get his deposit back.

As I stated there are always c#nts.

Each to their own, there's no wrong or right.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2017, 03:38 PM   #97
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Sold the car next day.

His name wasn't Bad Bundy Bear by any chance was it? Lol!
Blue Roo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-01-2017, 03:42 PM   #98
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Never had to give a deposit back. If you suspect there is some hesitation, jus say you can't hold it. I wouldn't hold a car with a deposit for very long, and it isn't "sold" until it's sold. I think you can generally avoid the situation, but sometimes crap happens in life. I was on the other side of it though. I thought my wife gave me permission to buy a new Can Am ATV. I went to the dealer and put a deposit down. She went off at me when I got home. So I called first thing right at opening the next day and confessed my mistake. He refused at first to give me my deposit back. But since nothing really happened negatively to them, I demanded it back. They then refunded me and a few months later, I bought one somewhere else. Had he have been a little more understanding, I probably would have gone back. Not everybody is a time waster.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2017, 09:03 PM   #99
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Imagine if you took 500 off the first guy...he would have definitely come back to take retribution and get his deposit back.
lol yeah and he would of been entitled too if he gave me a deposit and I sold the car to someone else.

I do agree with you, each to their own, some buyers are great others are d1cks.

Mercury Silver 03 BA GT-P Tremec TR3650 Number 534

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

RIP Fish 15/1/73 - 9/2/19
290GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2017, 01:02 AM   #100
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Punish the flogs I say. Had so many stuff me around on sales.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2017, 01:13 AM   #101
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Question for the OP.

What are you thinking and why?
Old 24-01-2017, 01:27 PM   #102
Tex Scrotum
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

5 WEEKS???......GEEZUS.... You have more patience than me!

You've been left hanging for 5 bloody weeks... I'd be mentally traumatised and need therapy ...KEEP THE DEPOSIT...you earned it!
Tex Scrotum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-01-2017, 01:38 PM   #103
XBGS500
Starter Motor

I agree, tell the guy he's got till the weekend or deposit is forfeited
XBGS500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2017, 02:41 PM   #104
xr8cam

Cannot believe how many think it is ok to stuff a seller around. To the OP, best to advise potential buyers one set of instructions up front with no exceptions. Unfortunately many people take kindness for stupidity and take advantage of you. Be assertive, life is so much easier and simpler.
Old 24-01-2017, 04:25 PM   #105
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've sold a fair few cars privately over the years (usually cheapies under $5k). Most without any deposit - just a handshake with agreement for them to pick it up within a few days ie once they can get to a Bank for cash/bank cheque etc.
On the few occasions where someone has offered a deposit, I've always written on their receipt that the "holding deposit" secures them the car for X amount of time (usually 1 week) & is non refundable if for any reason they decide not to proceed.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2017, 05:45 PM   #106
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't refund it. Not a cent. Doesn't t matter what you're out of pocket, or even your time, the $500 covers your annoyance. I've only ever given it back once when the guy checked the car and it was written off which I didn't know about. Not your problem this bloke can't handle his business
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2017, 02:53 PM   #107
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I doubt a car dealership would refund a deposit.

When selling a house I don't believe the deposit isn't refundable.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2017, 04:06 PM   #108
stig_3754

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
I doubt a car dealership would refund a deposit.

When selling a house I don't believe the deposit isn't refundable.
IIRC with real estate, if the finance application fails then you get the deposit back, but if you backout for any other reason then you forfeit the deposit.
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2017, 04:13 PM   #109
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stig_3754 View Post
IIRC with real estate, if the finance application fails then you get the deposit back, but if you backout for any other reason then you forfeit the deposit.
Same as buying a car
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2017, 04:52 PM   #110
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

5 weeks. Hell no would I give it back. I was thinking maybe if it was a couple of days and the finance fell through then benefit of the doubt.

But 5 weeks with no end result? No way would they get the deposit back. Not only did you take the car around for a pre purchase and also removed the ad you incurred cost doing so and now have to readvertise.

Stiff for the buyer.
Old 26-01-2017, 09:07 PM   #111
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

from NSW fair trading (obviously doesn't apply to private sales, and is only a guide)
When you place a deposit on an item, you may be entering into a binding agreement to proceed with the transaction. If you change your mind, the trader may be entitled to retain all or part of your deposit.

The actual amount the trader is allowed to retain depends on the circumstances. This money compensates the trader for the time and expense devoted to the transaction, but should not be so high as to constitute a penalty. As a gesture of goodwill, many traders will return your deposit.

so a deposit may legally constitute an agreement to purchase said item.
Old 26-01-2017, 09:30 PM   #112
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How about wording it as an option to buy?

By the buyer giving you $x, you promise to hold the car exclusively for this buyer for fixed period of time.

If they settle within the agreed period, the $x counts as a deposit, and they pay the balance.

If they're not financial by the end, the option expires, you keep the $x, and the car goes back onto the market.
rowan194 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2017, 01:14 AM   #113
dutchie393

So what actually is the purpose of a deposit?
I tend to be someone who gives it back, yet don't expect or ask for it back on the other side of the coin.
Unless you take this before Judge Judy, I guess it's a personal judgement.

In the end, deposits and failed sales are cost of business.
dutchie393 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2017, 01:52 PM   #114
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've only ever sold 2 cars privately.

First time I took a deposit. Buyer wanted to leave a deposit to "secure" the car as they required 2 weeks to organise the funds. I still kept the ad running but if anyone called about it I told them I had a buyer and the car was off the market.

Buyer came back 2 weeks later and finalised the purchase. Mutual trust on both sides - we're both good guys would be my take on it.

If sale fell through I would have refunded the deposit - no skin off my nose, no extra advertising costs and there was interest in the vehicle.

Second time, last year and for a lot more money, a guy offered to buy my R-Spec sight unseen and wanted to EFT a deposit. I didn't want to accept as he hadn't seen the car but was coming to see the car in a few days. He came down, bank cheque in hand for the agreed price, loved the car and bought it.

I can see both sides of the argument - seems like there's no right or wrong - it's up to the individual how they want to deal with it.
Old 28-01-2017, 01:58 PM   #115
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

So what did the op decide?
Mont5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2017, 10:19 PM   #116
900dukess

Lots of interesting comments

I still haven't really decided however he hasn't asked for his deposit back yet.

I have re-advertised it and when it sells I will ask for his bank details to refund his deposit then
900dukess is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2017, 06:30 AM   #117
kcodezd
0o\==^==/o0
Donating Member3

Here's one for you to mull over op. I'm in the process of selling a property, it is under an unconditional contract at the moment, however the buyer is willing to forgo the deposit of not $500, not $5000, but $50,000, to withdraw from the contract. So what I am saying is keep it all.
1978 W123 Mercedes Benz 280e
2004 BA XR8
2007 W211 E63 ////AMG
2008 Fiat Ritmo -for the kids to take ownership of while I pay for running costs
2009 SYii Territory Ts
2011 W212 Mercedes Benz E350 returned to the kid but now bent.
kcodezd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post