Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-12-2015, 06:33 PM   #61
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EASYBOSS View Post
So you haven't driven an F6X

I've driven just about every fast ford except the new mustang and the old RS focus. No turbo territory ever impressed me and I'm number 1 ticket holder in the territory fan club.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2015, 12:58 PM   #62
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Falcon options that where tested but never made it to production

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
^^ I agree. The X series wagons looked good (even with the heavily pronounced slope on XD-XF) because the side glass all lined up & matched. The XR-XY, and XA-XC wagons actually had some decent style too - by incorporating the famous coke-bottle hipline from the sedan.

The EA went to that high roof & over-size rear side glass, and that's where the ugliness started. One of the most pleasant looking Falcons in sedan form, but the complete opposite in wagon form. The cleaner & tighter EF & EL plastics, as well as colour coding, made the lower half look even better, but look above the waistline and cringe...

You only have to look at the Territory side profile to see they were capable of getting it right again. Even though the side glass doesn't continue in one sweep like a Commodore, the rear cargo glass height complements the door glass (and looks good how it sweeps around into the tailgate).
The rear tailgate on them XB-C fairmont wagons was a good idea how they could swing to the side as well as up and down, they could look like a wagon with class.
I liked the Valiant AP6 wagons as well but all the other wagons they made were crap.
Holden HZ was the best looking wagon in a Premier.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2015, 01:53 PM   #63
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo View Post
I think in fords defence that the Falcon wagon was never going to see another dollar as far as development went because of Territory. As soon as the Territory was in development stage around say 2000 which was mid AU Falcon era than the Falcon wagon was finished. .
Pity...

IMG_8978 by Gothe Falcon, on Flickr

It's such a great base vehicle to start with ! I know people love their "SUVs", but I preferred the Wagon over the Terry for many reasons... like the bigger cargo area and the car-like driving position (and many more). I reckon, marketed well, they could have sold the two alongside each other (just as Holden has with the Commodore hatchback and Captiva).

As for something that was trialled but didn't make it... an AWD RTV test mule was built ! From my experience with the FAWD... I reckon it would have been a pretty good piece of kit !

Dhru

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2015, 07:48 PM   #64
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan View Post
The rear tailgate on them XB-C fairmont wagons was a good idea how they could swing to the side as well as up and down, they could look like a wagon with class.
I liked the Valiant AP6 wagons as well but all the other wagons they made were crap.
Holden HZ was the best looking wagon in a Premier.
Yeah, the 2-way tailgate on XA/B/C Fairmont wagons was a nice item, although I'm sure it was available on Falcon 500s as well.

Most of the early Valiant wagons were good things. My favourites were the V8 models, these were speced above a Regal. A family friend had a VE VIP V8 Safari wagon; in its day it was arguably a nicer thing than the equivalent Fairmont or Premier wagon.

I'll admit that I'm biased, but a fully loaded HZ Premier wagon was the pick of the bunch.

Dr Terry

Last edited by Dr Terry; 28-12-2015 at 07:54 PM.
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2015, 07:51 PM   #65
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm pretty sure they made a Falcon that never made mass production that didn't contain and squeaks and rattles. Oh well, what could have been!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-12-2015, 08:12 PM   #66
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothefalcon View Post
Pity...

imageIMG_8978 by Gothe Falcon, on Flickr

It's such a great base vehicle to start with ! I know people love their "SUVs", but I preferred the Wagon over the Terry for many reasons... like the bigger cargo area and the car-like driving position (and many more). I reckon, marketed well, they could have sold the two alongside each other (just as Holden has with the Commodore hatchback and Captiva).

As for something that was trialled but didn't make it... an AWD RTV test mule was built ! From my experience with the FAWD... I reckon it would have been a pretty good piece of kit !

Dhru
Great post mate, and your car hides the rear glass profile well being dark. The high rear window looks more noticeable on the lighter cars. Agreed with everything you said and for all intended purposes Ford could have easily converted the wagon to irs as well. I guess when you consider the range of models that were in production which were Falcon sedan,ute,wagon,Fairlane and territory that it was starting to get out of hand from a development and engineering new models point of view. Naturally the 2 slowest sellers had to go which was wagon and Fairlane. I sold new Holden passenger cars when The Territory first come out and we were selling the Adventra Commodore wagon. We couldn't sell Adventras to save ourself with even Holden drivers buying the Territory. The Territory was everything it needed to be, big safe and sedan like handling. The only weak point was the early awd auto which was slow and very heavy on fuel. The Revised SY with 6 speed auto or even the early 2wd were great cars. The Adventra was a terrible idea ( no disrespect to your car) it was heavy, V8 only, 4 speed auto only, and had wheel alignment issue. These issues required moving the K frame forward or backward on one side and the opposite on the other and sometimes grinding out the K frame bolt holes to allow more movement. This would than allow enough adjustment to get the wheel alignment to spec. They drove ok but compared to the Territory but they didn't have that SUV look and seven seats that everyone was chasing. It was a master stroke from Ford and beside the turbo Falcon and Blown Miami was one of the few times that Ford Trumped Holden.
Old 29-12-2015, 12:58 AM   #67
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned View Post
I'm pretty sure they made a Falcon that never made mass production that didn't contain and squeaks and rattles. Oh well, what could have been!
They did- all three I've owned.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2015, 11:00 AM   #68
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

Quote:
Great post mate, and your car hides the rear glass profile well being dark. The high rear window looks more noticeable on the lighter cars. Agreed with everything you said and for all intended purposes Ford could have easily converted the wagon to irs as well. I guess when you consider the range of models that were in production which were Falcon sedan,ute,wagon,Fairlane and territory that it was starting to get out of hand from a development and engineering new models point of view. Naturally the 2 slowest sellers had to go which was wagon and Fairlane. I sold new Holden passenger cars when The Territory first come out and we were selling the Adventra Commodore wagon. We couldn't sell Adventras to save ourself with even Holden drivers buying the Territory. The Territory was everything it needed to be, big safe and sedan like handling. The only weak point was the early awd auto which was slow and very heavy on fuel. The Revised SY with 6 speed auto or even the early 2wd were great cars. The Adventra was a terrible idea ( no disrespect to your car) it was heavy, V8 only, 4 speed auto only, and had wheel alignment issue. These issues required moving the K frame forward or backward on one side and the opposite on the other and sometimes grinding out the K frame bolt holes to allow more movement. This would than allow enough adjustment to get the wheel alignment to spec. They drove ok but compared to the Territory but they didn't have that SUV look and seven seats that everyone was chasing. It was a master stroke from Ford and beside the turbo Falcon and Blown Miami was one of the few times that Ford Trumped Holden.
Agreed, the rear door - rear window line is somewhat awkward... but overall, I think the styling of the AU-BF3 Wagon's body has stood the test of time. (maybe it's just me !??) For a Wagon, IRS is not all it's made out to be... or any coil sprung rear for that matter. Sure... leaf springs have their downsides... but when it comes to carrying weight, they are still the best option ! I have a full RTV rear suspension set-up... and the anti-tramp rods transform the handling on rough roads, corrugations, etc... and help to make the handling on any road, predictable. Combined with the excellent Terry front end... my Wagon handles & steers very well indeed ! Anyone who's driven it remarks on how easy it is to drive and can't believe how well it sits on the open road too ! With a bit more attention... Ford could have easily made the leaf sprung rear end behave a lot better (dam bean counters !)
I liked the Adventra concept (I could never own a Holden though)... I agree that the V8 version was too thirsty for most people (goes ok though) The Holden V6 just doesn't cut it in a heavy car like that... not enough torque. Of all the combinations available from both sides at the time, Ford's I6 was ideal. Sure... it's no sports car.. but it's got enough poke for the average punter, and comparable economy with other similar vehicles.
Adventra did sell fairly well, before the Terry was released... but as you say, the "SUV" thing was just taking off... so Adventra became dead in the water after that. It's huge A9X style plastic flares didn't do it any favours in the styling dept. either. Punters did turn back to Wagons after that though.. only to find the traditional Wagon had gone... and replaced by Holden's "Sportwagon". It looks great.. but I know quite a few who bought one, only to sell it early and go back to an SUV as the load capacity was crap (for a Wagon) and there's not a lot of other choice.
I believe that had Ford wanted to make good alternative versions of the Wagon (not just paint & sticker packs) and marketed them well... then they'd still be here ! Unfortunately the reality is, We'll loose the lot anyway !

D

This user likes this post:
Old 29-12-2015, 01:14 PM   #69
Tocchi
Sandtrap Motorsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by XG_Falcon View Post
I often wonder if they planned to continue the XR wagons beyond the EL or whether they simply decided it wasn't worth it. A factory BA XR6-T wagon would have been epic.

I doubt they would have seriously considered doing it because the high series wagons never sold in numbers... but a man can dream.
i'm not complaining about them not doing it, means i have somewhat some resale value on mine when i do choose to sell it.

pity about the ******* ugly rear windows.

Sandtrap Motorsport's BF XR6T wagon -- to tow around the Capri ^^^

www.facebook.com/SandtrapMotorsport
Tocchi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2015, 01:32 PM   #70
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Agreed, the rear door - rear window line is somewhat awkward... but overall, I think the styling of the AU-BF3 Wagon's body has stood the test of time. (maybe it's just me !??) For a Wagon.
D
Agreed, the thought of owning a wagon came up many times over the years as the family grew, but i just couldnt make myself like the rear styling on the Falcon and the Terri was overkill. I couldnt bring myself to buy a Commodore wagon and toyed with the idea of a Liberty or Outback but never made the switch so i stuck with sedans and a R50 Pathy for a while(yep, overkill).

Then i spotted a BF3 Egas wagon in silouette and thought 'dark tint on a black wagon will hide the dodgy lines', so i jumped on it and couldnt be happier.
Heaps of people have commented on it since the tint was done and even though its a bog stock vehicle, the fact its a black Falcon wagon seems to draw attention when out and about, perhaps they think its a hearse..lol

And let me add, what you have done to your wagon is superb and a credit to your skill and determination. I'd have it in a heartbeat and if i had the drive to modify cars i used to possess, i'd be making a replica with mine tomorrow.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2015, 02:06 PM   #71
78xcgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My Dad's FG mk2 G6E has not a single rattle or squeak......
78xcgxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2015, 06:37 PM   #72
XG_Falcon

Quote:
It's such a great base vehicle to start with! I know people love their "SUVs", but I preferred the Wagon over the Terry for many reasons... like the bigger cargo area and the car-like driving position (and many more). I reckon, marketed well, they could have sold the two alongside each other (just as Holden has with the Commodore hatchback and Captiva).
Agreed 100%. I prefer the wagon because of the way they drive and a wagon is actually more suitable for squeezing into packed load-in bays than a Territory.

I guess everybody has different needs though.
XG_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2015, 09:12 PM   #73
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Quote:
Agreed, the rear door - rear window line is somewhat awkward... but overall, I think the styling of the AU-BF3 Wagon's body has stood the test of time. (maybe it's just me !??) For a Wagon, IRS is not all it's made out to be... or any coil sprung rear for that matter. Sure... leaf springs have their downsides... but when it comes to carrying weight, they are still the best option ! I have a full RTV rear suspension set-up... and the anti-tramp rods transform the handling on rough roads, corrugations, etc... and help to make the handling on any road, predictable. Combined with the excellent Terry front end... my Wagon handles & steers very well indeed ! Anyone who's driven it remarks on how easy it is to drive and can't believe how well it sits on the open road too ! With a bit more attention... Ford could have easily made the leaf sprung rear end behave a lot better (dam bean counters !)
I liked the Adventra concept (I could never own a Holden though)... I agree that the V8 version was too thirsty for most people (goes ok though) The Holden V6 just doesn't cut it in a heavy car like that... not enough torque. Of all the combinations available from both sides at the time, Ford's I6 was ideal. Sure... it's no sports car.. but it's got enough poke for the average punter, and comparable economy with other similar vehicles.
Adventra did sell fairly well, before the Terry was released... but as you say, the "SUV" thing was just taking off... so Adventra became dead in the water after that. It's huge A9X style plastic flares didn't do it any favours in the styling dept. either. Punters did turn back to Wagons after that though.. only to find the traditional Wagon had gone... and replaced by Holden's "Sportwagon". It looks great.. but I know quite a few who bought one, only to sell it early and go back to an SUV as the load capacity was crap (for a Wagon) and there's not a lot of other choice.
I believe that had Ford wanted to make good alternative versions of the Wagon (not just paint & sticker packs) and marketed them well... then they'd still be here ! Unfortunately the reality is, We'll loose the lot anyway !

D
The Adventra V6 was actually the better car, better on fuel, 6 speed auto, lighter and better Handling, cheaper rego,And enough power for what it was designed to do. It was easier to sell being v6 and more practical as a family car over the v8 fuel guzzler.
Old 29-12-2015, 09:22 PM   #74
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
The Adventra V6 was actually the better car, better on fuel, 6 speed auto, lighter and better Handling, cheaper rego,And enough power for what it was designed to do. It was easier to sell being v6 and more practical as a family car over the v8 fuel guzzler.
Adventra V6 was 5 Speed auto.

The Adventra concept was a noble idea, and a concept that I prefer, but it could only ever have been a niche product. The SUV body was what most buyers wanted and the Adventra didn't possess a driving advantage over an SUV that many buyers and would be buyers expected. It drove more truck.

Territory was one of the few times Ford stole the march on Holden.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2015, 10:11 PM   #75
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Yeah sorry 5 speed auto with active select and paddle shift. Been 10 years since I sold them.
Old 29-12-2015, 10:34 PM   #76
jgmdat

Quote:
My FG XR8 Ute had 330,000km on it when i traded it on a GS, not one squeak or rattle. A company VS ute i once had well let's not go there.
jgmdat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-12-2015, 11:42 PM   #77
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Quote:
The Adventra V6 was actually the better car, better on fuel, 5 speed auto, lighter and better Handling, cheaper rego,And enough power for what it was designed to do. It was easier to sell being v6 and more practical as a family car over the v8 fuel guzzler.
From memory.... I thought the Holden V8 wasn't a lot heavier than the V6.... so I just looked up the specs for the top spec models... LX6 3.6 1965kg v LX8 5.7 1985Kg.
Combined average City/Country fuel economy lists a bit differently though, at 14.8L/100 v 18L/100... but at 190Kw/335Nm v 250Kw/470Nm... you could forgive the V8 for being a bit thirstier !??
As opposed to the SX Terry Ghia of the time at 2095Kg. 15.5L/100 & 182Kw/380Nm (granted, any fuel economy figures can alter better or worse, depending on who, how & where, etc.)
Out of interest... my Wagon with all extras fitted... HD-towbar, bullbar, spotties, roof racks on the rails, 176L duel fuel, cargo barrier, diff locker, etc.. weighs about 2200kg (full fuel load as opposed to the others listed dry)... 190Kw/383Nm and has a combined average of about 13.5L/100 mainly on LPG (6spd auto)

Interesting stuff... but getting way off topic, so sorry about that

D

Old 29-12-2015, 11:48 PM   #78
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
The Adventra concept was a noble idea, and a concept that I prefer, but it could only ever have been a niche product.
And yet... Subaru sells a shed load of Outbacks alongside their SUV offerings.
Go figure !??

D

Old 30-12-2015, 01:15 PM   #79
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's huge A9X style plastic flares didn't do it any favours in the styling dept. either. Punters did turn back to Wagons after that though.. only to find the traditional Wagon had gone... and replaced by Holden's "Sportwagon". It looks great.. but I know quite a few who bought one, only to sell it early and go back to an SUV as the load capacity was crap (for a Wagon) and there's not a lot of other choice.
As a proud owner of an VYII LX8 Adventra, I found the first remark a little disappointing. The flares on my car are much closer in size to your RTV style flares than an A9X. Have you had a closely looked at an A9X lately ? The only comment that would make is that, it's a pity the Adventra's flare weren't painted body colour. BTW this is more than compensated for by the increased in track dimension.

Also the load capacity of the Sportwagon is not really any smaller than many SUVs, especially in the length of the bed. Although after the VT-VZ wagon is was a fair reduction in size. The VT-VZ wagon had arguably the largest cargo area (volume or length) of any Aussie wagon ever made.

It's a pity that GM (US) raided GM-H's piggy bank, which stopped proposed production of the VE Adventra. For the DIY guys, this wouldn't such a huge conversion, given that the VE's floorpan & front hubs already have provision for the AWD running gear.

Dr Terry

P.S. My Adventra is probably the best car that I've ever owned, of any brand.
2 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2015, 02:49 PM   #80
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A FI 351 built by Roush was developed for the EA but never made it into production. I used to have the wheels mag detailing its testing and development.

Aslo, not sure if this is correct or not, but BA NA XR6 was supposed to have more power than the regular sixes, but couldn't get it to work right.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2015, 03:46 PM   #81
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
As a proud owner of an VYII LX8 Adventra, I found the first remark a little disappointing. The flares on my car are much closer in size to your RTV style flares than an A9X. Have you had a closely looked at an A9X lately ? The only comment that would make is that, it's a pity the Adventra's flare weren't painted body colour. BTW this is more than compensated for by the increased in track dimension.

Also the load capacity of the Sportwagon is not really any smaller than many SUVs, especially in the length of the bed. Although after the VT-VZ wagon is was a fair reduction in size. The VT-VZ wagon had arguably the largest cargo area (volume or length) of any Aussie wagon ever made.

It's a pity that GM (US) raided GM-H's piggy bank, which stopped proposed production of the VE Adventra. For the DIY guys, this wouldn't such a huge conversion, given that the VE's floorpan & front hubs already have provision for the AWD running gear.

Dr Terry

P.S. My Adventra is probably the best car that I've ever owned, of any brand.
They were body coloured on HSV Avalanche and XUV Avalanche and we actually painted a few for customers. They only had flares as the standard guards didn't cover the wider track needed with the awd. Even HSV Coupe 4 used flares as they could not make the track any narrower for some reason. The LX8/6 were the pick of them but the 4 speed auto v8 killed the car from the point of refinement and fuel economy. The other thing was that the the entire car just looked the same as the commodore which put off customers wanting a new fresh look which was the Territories strong point along with 7 seats. I still maintain and sales proved it that the v6 LX6 was a great car but it faced serious competion and with this competion and Holden needing to reduce its number of models the Adventra was never going to survive. The killed Adventra, Crewman, Monaro, 1 tonner and the crewman was a great seller with sometimes a 6 month wait for one.
Old 30-12-2015, 05:31 PM   #82
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They were body coloured on HSV Avalanche and XUV Avalanche and we actually painted a few for customers. They only had flares as the standard guards didn't cover the wider track needed with the awd. Even HSV Coupe 4 used flares as they could not make the track any narrower for some reason.
Yes, but the Avalanche, Avalanche SUV & Coupe4 are bespoke HSV models, not regular Holdens.

When new, the dealer could've been contracted to fill & paint the flares to body colour, but what would that have cost, given today's prices for labour & paint etc.

Dr Terry
Old 31-12-2015, 11:48 AM   #83
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
Why would they make an F6 wagon when an XR6 wagon never got a second look?
Couldn't you use the same argument for the FPV Territory, that had no mainstream XR equivalent?
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2015, 12:05 PM   #84
Sprint XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielXR8 View Post
Couldn't you use the same argument for the FPV Territory, that had no mainstream XR equivalent?
There was a mainstream Territory Turbo and Territory Ghia Turbo.
Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2015, 02:59 PM   #85
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Regarding a book, I am confident Ford will do this for us Aussie enthusiasts, and it will be a fantastic book and they'll sell heaps. The "True Blue" book by Bill Tuckey is no longer available and sells for high $$$ on the used market. I've been wanting to find a copy for quite some time. The library lost their's. It's a great book but left me wanting to know so much more.

My small self-published books about Aussie cars eventually all sell out. I'm about 75% through writing up the content to next publish a 40-page book about the development and history of the AU series era. It'll be my sixth book on Aussie cars to date. If I can come up with 40 pages for the AU, Ford could do a whole lot better for the XK to the FG X.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2015, 03:10 PM   #86
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From memory they were going to make an engine that doesn't leak oil, blow head gaskets and doesn't overheat, unfortunately it never went into production
It's pretty amusing though, considering the XR8 next year will be reborn with the same spec engine as the FG GT, could you imagine being a HSV owner forking out all that money on a brand new GTS, then pulling up to the lights next to a FH XR8 and then sitting side by side all the way to 100 and beyond
Even more embarrasing would be the lower spec variants of the VF in HSV's stable getting whopped by a factory XR8.
ford man xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2015, 03:34 PM   #87
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin View Post
Regarding a book, I am confident Ford will do this for us Aussie enthusiasts, and it will be a fantastic book and they'll sell heaps. The "True Blue" book by Bill Tuckey is no longer available and sells for high $$$ on the used market. I've been wanting to find a copy for quite some time. The library lost their's. It's a great book but left me wanting to know so much more.
I have a few copies and I would part with one at an appropriate price.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2015, 04:19 PM   #88
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3ts50 View Post
Aslo, not sure if this is correct or not, but BA NA XR6 was supposed to have more power than the regular sixes, but couldn't get it to work right.
Must've been early on if true, as all the press focused on XR6T replacing the unique XR6 engine.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2015, 09:17 PM   #89
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also the R5 dual cab. Took these pics and a few more of it at a Perth Show from memory.

I assume Ford will still have it.

ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2015, 09:34 PM   #90
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin View Post

My small self-published books about Aussie cars eventually all sell out. I'm about 75% through writing up the content to next publish a 40-page book about the development and history of the AU series era. It'll be my sixth book on Aussie cars to date. If I can come up with 40 pages for the AU, Ford could do a whole lot better for the XK to the FG X.
I had been searching for a copy for years. I found one at a used book store a while back. Couldn't believe my luck. A great book for a Ford fan.

Also, when would that AU book be out and where would I look for it if you don't mind me asking?
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post