Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-01-2017, 11:06 PM   #1
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Slightly buckled rims - repair or replace?

Took the car in for a wheel balance and was told the two front rims are ever so slightly buckled and can't be completely balanced. It is vibrating a bit at 100kmh so it is starting to become annoying.

Rang a few places and was quoted around $100 per wheel to repair. One place said I have to sign a disclaimer which clears them of any liability if the rims crack during the repair process

Is it worth repairing or just replace?

Its just a standard B series XR6 17" wheels. There are some cheap 2nd hand ones out there but how do I know they aren't slightly buckled also?

T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2017, 11:24 PM   #2
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: Slightly buckled rims - repair or replace?

Replacement is luck of the draw I guess. $100 a wheel doesn't sound terrible. I shelled out 175 a rim on a brand new set of fg2 xr6 18s. It was a good deal as they were new (27 km old, so new enough) from a tyre shop. 4 rims new tyres $1100. They were a birthday present for the wife as her fg2 had au fairlane rims on it when she got it and it looked crap. If second hand rims are less then $100 each and not buckled, the that's a win. If you get them and they are buckled then it's the cost of the rim then it's a fail. I'd personally just spend the hundred on fixing the offending rim, or if it's not bad enough live with it until it is.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2017, 09:56 AM   #3
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

put the buckled rims on the back?
my old VX had 18's and i bent one so i bought a new rim then bent another so i went back to stock 17in SS mags but they were all buckled too, then bought anther set and most of them were buckled also.
i realised i should have just bought new rims and i would have had permission from the wife to buy them too....win!

by the way if they are only slightly bucked there is little chance of them cracking during a repair so if you like your rims just pay the $200 and get them fixed
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2017, 11:52 AM   #4
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You read my mind. That's exactly what I did last night. There is still a slight vibration at high speed through the steering so they are probably not perfectly round either but it is better than before. Now I need to upgrade the rear tyre as they are el cheapos that the previous owner put on...

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 25-01-2017, 12:06 PM   #5
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
You read my mind. That's exactly what I did last night. There is still a slight vibration at high speed through the steering so they are probably not perfectly round either but it is better than before. Now I need to upgrade the rear tyre as they are el cheapos that the previous owner put on...

also some "cheap" cheap tyres (ie: no name chinese tyres) not so much well known chinese tyres can be out or round and not constructed that great so it may contribute to vibrations
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2017, 12:27 PM   #6
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
also some "cheap" cheap tyres (ie: no name chinese tyres) not so much well known chinese tyres can be out or round and not constructed that great so it may contribute to vibrations
I don't think it's the tyres cos the ones on the front at the moment are pretty new maxiis..... OK they aren't premium but not Komets or wanlis either .

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Old 25-01-2017, 12:29 PM   #7
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-BA-B...sAAOSwnbZYJT6b
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2017, 12:42 PM   #8
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

I've repaired many mild dents with a big hammer and a block of wood.
Old 25-01-2017, 12:45 PM   #9
mechanic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One of my RTV steel rims is slightly bent but at $540 each it's going to be the spare.
Don't think there's anyone outside the major cities who rerolls rims.
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2017, 12:52 PM   #10
Itsme
Experienced Member

I won't repair alloy wheels, too much of risk imo, new wheels would be my option.
If wheels are warped or bent means fatigue to the alloy.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-01-2017, 02:04 PM   #11
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I had a Tickford 17" rim repaired once, was done right and never had a problem with it for years. Getting all-new wheels (as seen on eBay) seems a great alternative given you have to fix two, but don't forget the cost of transferring the tyres.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2017, 03:01 PM   #12
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
Even Goodyear 18" Forteras can be a problem. One I bought last year when fitted to the rim couldn't be balanced and was way out of round. So much for Chinese quality control.
How much are your rims out of round / bent ? Just about every alloy that has been used has a variation of a few mms.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2017, 03:10 PM   #13
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
Even Goodyear 18" Forteras can be a problem. One I bought last year when fitted to the rim couldn't be balanced and was way out of round. So much for Chinese quality control.
How much are your rims out of round / bent ? Just about every alloy that has been used has a variation of a few mms.
Very slight. I had thought about banging it with a plank of wood . But enough to cause vibration at 90 to 100kmh

Rides (past and present)