Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-01-2017, 02:55 PM   #1
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 
Default Kia Stinger GT on the cards for Australian police

The News keeps growing for the Stinger.

Kia could be about to give the term 'Police sting' a whole new meaning, with the Korean brand looking to submit its all-new Stinger sedan for evaluation as a potential police vehicle when it arrives in Australia in September.

The rear-wheel drive Stinger sedan was just unveiled at the Detroit Auto Show, and is scheduled to arrive in Australia with a choice of 2.0-litre four cylinder petrol engine, or a headline-stealing 3.3-litre, twin-turbo V6 in the GT model that will generate 272kW/510Nm - numbers that outshine all but the biggest Holden Commodore V8. At just over 4.8m in length, it matches the current police sedan fleet for size, too.

The GT should prove plenty powerful enough, with the top-spec Stinger able to clip 100km/h in 5.1secs before powering on to a top speed of 270km/h. The GT will also arrive with a mechanical limited-slip differential, electronically adjustable suspension and an eight-speed automatic transmission.

Kia’s Sorento SUV is already being evaluated by police departments in NSW, Victoria and Queensland, and it would like the all-new Stinger to be be next, with Kia telling CarsGuide “It’s definitely something we’d be interested in looking at.”

“We don't see a downside to the police wanting to look at this car, and our Sorento is already being evaluated by police departments in three states,” said Kia Motors Corporation's Australian PR boss, Kevin Hepworth.

“It’s too early for us to have serious conversations, but it’s definitely something we’d be interested in looking at.”

Kia’s rear-wheel drive sedan will arrive in Australia in an effort to fill the market gap left by the departing Holden Commodore and Ford Falcon. Whether it will also fill the vacancy in our police department’s road fleet remains to be seen, but it is understood Kia Australia would need to upgrade the vehicle’s brakes and parts of its cabin to comply with police standards.

Australia’s police forces are currently evaluating vehicles from several manufacturers as our Holden and Ford plants count-down to closure. Vehicle’s as far-ranging as the Ford Mustang, Chrysler 300, Volvo S60 Polestar and BMW 5 Series are all understood to be under consideration. But Kia will be hoping its cut-price Stinger GT, expected to arrive wearing a $50k price tag, is the affordable smokey that steals the deal.

picture of the Kia Stinger GT as it may appear in local police service

http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news...aign=editorial

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2017, 04:09 PM   #2
Chopped
as in chopped

Default Re: Kia Stinger GT on the cards for Australian police

270kph top speed!

Is that faster than any HSV or FPV? (Standard with factory governors in place)
Old 15-01-2017, 04:31 PM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Cheap to buy, cheap to run and repair with class leading build quality. It's almost a no brainier!

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2017, 05:39 PM   #4
kcodezd
0o\==^==/o0
Donating Member3

I can see this being used as an every day fleet cop car, for sure they will consider the odd mustang etc for there super pursuit type vehicle that will replace any Hsv or xr8 sprint they have, but these they will proberbly have a maximum of four per state.
1978 W123 Mercedes Benz 280e
2004 BA XR8
2007 W211 E63 ////AMG
2008 Fiat Ritmo -for the kids to take ownership of while I pay for running costs
2009 SYii Territory Ts
2011 W212 Mercedes Benz E350 returned to the kid but now bent.
kcodezd is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2017, 06:44 PM   #5
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That looks cool in police colours!!
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2017, 08:49 PM   #6
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsgiude5854362
or a headline-stealing 3.3-litre, twin-turbo V6 in the GT model that will generate 272kW/510Nm -
May also become a popular choice to play with for those that like to modify..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-01-2017, 09:41 PM   #7
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dumb question, but approximately how many police Falcons & Commodores have they been buying a year?
Just wondering what it is worth to a car company in sales to chase this market.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2017, 01:11 PM   #8
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Dumb question, but approximately how many police Falcons & Commodores have they been buying a year?
Just wondering what it is worth to a car company in sales to chase this market.
And is the Government contract price worth it?
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2017, 05:49 PM   #9
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Seen Kia C'eed used as police cars in Europe recently.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2017, 08:03 PM   #10
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine View Post
Seen Kia C'eed used as police cars in Europe recently.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
How times change. Kia's and Hyundais of just five years ago were inferior junk disposable cars, or those budget rental cars you'd pin at redline in first gear and wring their neck till they overheated or blew up and rental company gave a replacement . But the Koreans are a persistent bunch and have invested in R&D and design to no end, and demand our begrudging respect. Still can't get over the thought of being pulled over by a Kia.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2017, 10:51 PM   #11
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Kia have come a long way in a few years. I can see my self considering a purchse some day.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2017, 11:26 PM   #12
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
270kph top speed!

Is that faster than any HSV or FPV? (Standard with factory governors in place)

Not if you remove the speed limiter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 16-01-2017, 11:31 PM   #13
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rear wheel drive is the clincher, very clever, to fill the void after Holden and Ford shut down.
And considering the Police only keep their cars for a short time or until the kays are up, it probably wont matter if the plastic starts falling off, or the leccy windows stop working after a couple of years.
Looks pretty good though and the specs certainly make you take notice, but the build quality will be a big question mark.
Can it stand the rigours of Police work and driving hot for one shift finishing and the next hopping in, having to work maybe 16 to 20 hours straight.

Last edited by jaydee; 16-01-2017 at 11:37 PM.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2017, 11:45 PM   #14
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Rear wheel drive is the clincher.
And considering the Police only keep their cars for a short time or until the kays are up, it probably wont matter if the plastic starts falling off, or the leccy windows stop working after a couple of years.
Looks pretty good though and the specs certainly make you take notice, but the build quality will be a big question mark.
Can it stand the rigours of Police work and driving hot for one shift finishing and the next hopping in, having to work maybe 16 to 20 hours straight.
Thats the main question. The size of the car sounds good,the go fast numbers sound good, but how are the brakes? Probably also good, but I'm still stuck in the old days when anything korean had poor build quality. Looks at even newer things like the holden barina or Epica, both Daewoos I get that, but Kia have not copped the best reputation before either. I know 2 people who have had a 2007 diesel 4wd thing and an 04 carnival sold for a couple of hundred for scrap when they died young and weren't financially viable to fix the motors when they died. I'm a sceptic I know, but I'm sus all the rest
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2017, 11:50 PM   #15
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Looks about the same as any police car behind me - oh wait...

Old 17-01-2017, 09:17 AM   #16
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: Kia Stinger GT on the cards for Australian police

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
Rear wheel drive is the clincher, very clever, to fill the void after Holden and Ford shut down.
You mean like my fgx which has a new diff after 30,000 kms and the rear view mirror that has fallen off 3 times?
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2017, 09:36 AM   #17
AussieCJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Thats the main question. The size of the car sounds good,the go fast numbers sound good, but how are the brakes? Probably also good, but I'm still stuck in the old days when anything korean had poor build quality. Looks at even newer things like the holden barina or Epica, both Daewoos I get that, but Kia have not copped the best reputation before either. I know 2 people who have had a 2007 diesel 4wd thing and an 04 carnival sold for a couple of hundred for scrap when they died young and weren't financially viable to fix the motors when they died. I'm a sceptic I know, but I'm sus all the rest
Pretty typical cycle in motoring history

In the 60's japanese cars were considered dangerous poor quality and cheap, in the 80's they were considered the pinnacle of predicable manufacturing and affordable quality

in the 90's korean cars were consider dangerous cheap poor quality and now starting to rise up the ranks of repeatable quality

Now Chinese cars are consider cheap dangerous etc ..... bit of a pattern

Same patterns have occurred in euro markets with countries like Spain and Belgium and to a lesser degree in the US with Mexico
AussieCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2017, 10:16 AM   #18
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Thats the main question. The size of the car sounds good,the go fast numbers sound good, but how are the brakes?
I think the Stinger will have no problems in this department.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2017, 04:58 PM   #19
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
I think the Stinger will have no problems in this department.
Ugh. Brembo were once cool and exclusive until they became sellout and ended up on Falcons and Commodores. Much like a ZF gearbox. Now Brembo are really at rock bottom, being factory fitted to Kia's
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2017, 05:58 PM   #20
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I might be dumb but is that brake disc on the wrong side
dunga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2017, 06:32 PM   #21
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Ugh. Brembo were once cool and exclusive until they became sellout and ended up on Falcons and Commodores. Much like a ZF gearbox. Now Brembo are really at rock bottom, being factory fitted to Kia's
Yeh but this Kia fully optioned will be 52 k +. Maybe even close to 60 with on roads and other sundry charges / options.

That's a lot of coin so you would expect that it would come with high end parts.
At least they are providing a package solution. Plenty of FPV and Previous Tickford buyers paid more and got less....

In a way this would be a better option than the 4 banger turbo Mustang.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2017, 06:52 PM   #22
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunga View Post
The wrong side of what ?
Old 17-01-2017, 07:02 PM   #23
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
If you mean the caliper, unless they are mounted upside down or close to (do brake dust and water reasons affect pads with gravity?) you can mount them anywhere they fit. The disc is round.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2017, 07:08 PM   #24
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Are you referring to the slots being angled backwards.
If so , it all depends on the cooling vanes inside the rotor that dictates which way it should rotate and how they are fitted .

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2017, 08:09 PM   #25
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
Are you referring to the slots being angled backwards.
If so , it all depends on the cooling vanes inside the rotor that dictates which way it should rotate and how they are fitted .
correct, the direction of the slots have no material impact to performance.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2017, 08:32 PM   #26
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
The wrong side of what ?
The car. when you buy slotted discs you buy left and right hand ones
dunga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2017, 09:17 PM   #27
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR David View Post
You mean like my fgx which has a new diff after 30,000 kms and the rear view mirror that has fallen off 3 times?
Oh I hear ya, my BA had a list of continual faults as long as a cold winter.
Now got a second hand Mazda6 and and nothing goes wrong (now I've jinxed myself), but I do miss the big old girl.
Old 18-01-2017, 10:19 AM   #28
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

It might be a good thing ... cos it'd be embarrassing to be pulled over by a Kia ... might stop a lot of speeding ....
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2017, 11:01 AM   #29
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Pffft. It's got a German number Plate
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post