Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-01-2017, 06:43 PM   #121
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Qld flash for cash cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflac52 View Post
Unrestrained occupants aren't the cause of accidents but that's not what the article says. It says that they are a major cause of fatalities. Which is correct! They are!

It still puts speeding at no three.

It's so easy to change statistics by changing one word to suit a particular viewpoint.
That's true, it's also easy to selectively read what was written and come to your own conclusion...

Lets leave unrestrained as the cause at 27.3% and take the other two figures I posted - 25.5% speed and 23.5% alcohol (these are in the QLD doc). That elevates speed to second but its STILL a major cause.

Then look at the 2015 NSW figures I posted for further proof that speed is a major cause of accidents. I'm sure if you looked at other states, a similar story would be told...
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2017, 07:53 PM   #122
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron View Post
Obviously my figures were assumptions. They were used to highlight B0sons interpretation of the article.

However, it simple isn't BS. Here's the exact wording -

"According to the Queensland Government, speeding is one of the major causes of fatalities on Queensland"

Key words here are "one of the major", it doesn't say "the major".

Having said that, these figures are a little misleading, a quick read and you'd say speed is third, but unrestrained occupants aren't the cause of an accident and if you look further down the 2015 QLD document your quoting those figures from, you'll see they have the following for 2015 -

Involving drink drivers/riders - 23.5% (Drugs and inebriated pedestrians removed presumably)
Involving speeding drivers/riders - 25.5%

Check out the 2015 NSW report (PDF page 119) -
http://roadsafety.transport.nsw.gov....hstats2015.pdf

Alcohol involved in crash - 1,064 people injured or killed.
speed involved in crash - 3,882 "

Out of interest, what do the pro 'revenue raiser' guys/girls think the money
is used for?
I think the revenue is used to fly politicians to the Gold Coast to buy a house
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2017, 09:28 PM   #123
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
However, it simple isn't BS. Here's the exact wording -

"According to the Queensland Government, speeding is one of the major causes of fatalities on Queensland"
If they don't provide the % of drivers that are speeding according to the *LEGAL* definition of speeding, then the article *IS* BS as their key point is unsubstantiated.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-01-2017, 09:37 PM   #124
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Then look at the 2015 NSW figures I posted for further proof that speed is a major cause of accidents. I'm sure if you looked at other states, a similar story would be told...
You're mixing up cause and factor. The NSW data deals with speed as a factor, not as the cause.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2017, 05:56 AM   #125
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

There's a case coming up that will set a precedent for speed camera fines.
Media is sitting tight on this one and ready to pounce.

I can't go into further detail but will update this as info comes available.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2017, 09:16 AM   #126
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Speed involved in a crash = 3882 means absolutely nothing!

The only way to make this statement factual is to take the total number of crashes involving every vehicle in every crash for a year and use that as the total. Speed is involved in every crash simply because vehicles have to move to come in contact with each other.

The statement has no relevance to safety in its current form.

You may as well state that speed is involved in 3882 eggs being broken annually when they are dropped.
noflac52 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2017, 09:55 AM   #127
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lets also remember in the speeding figures is the old chestnut " inappropriate speed for the situation ". So your not speeding but in the cops eyes you should have been going slower. so you come to a corner signed 40 and you crash, cops see dirt, water, ect on the road which you may or may not have seen. Cops say they should have been doing 30. Cause? speed, straight into the speeding statistics. I got that info straight from a ex cop.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:20 PM   #128
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflac52 View Post
Speed involved in a crash = 3882 means absolutely nothing!

The only way to make this statement factual is to take the total number of crashes involving every vehicle in every crash for a year and use that as the total. Speed is involved in every crash simply because vehicles have to move to come in contact with each other.

The statement has no relevance to safety in its current form.

You may as well state that speed is involved in 3882 eggs being broken annually when they are dropped.
In the NSW doc I posted above, the definition of speed is on pdf page 11.

@b0son, my mistake, the wording should have been 'contributing factor' and if NSW report it as speeding, it removes distraction, fatigue etc.

Re the QLD article, it's obviously a cut down report so won't have the legal definition of speeding, it simply is not BS because it doesn't have that info.

I noticed nobody responded (except for Blue Shadows great post ) to my question re where the $$'s goes, presumably it's to line overpaid pollies and the Secret Policeman's annual ball? OR -
https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/saf...speed/cameras/

What's the answer if speed cameras are simply revenue raisers? should they all be removed? pretty sure that would then allow us all to finally speed in peace...
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2017, 04:25 PM   #129
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Seen one of the new trailers parked on the side of the road today. Looked very prone to vandalism to me. Reflective tape all over. Really only visible from around 200 meters.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-01-2017, 05:37 PM   #130
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
What's the answer if speed cameras are simply revenue raisers?
IMO there's no "if" about it.

I'd warrant that I've driven more kms (3+ million) and been booked more (30+ times in my 50 years of driving) than the vast majority of people.

I've only ever been booked for speeding (no neg/dangerous/drunk etc driving). Never had an accident that was my fault (actually only ever had one when a car ran a red light in 1976). Never lost my licence, although in years gone by I took precautions against such an occurrence.

What's all that got to do with anything?

Well, I can honestly say that I've never been unjustly booked. I haven't always appreciated the ticket but it's been my choice to speed.
Afaic speed cameras, HP, etc, can do whatever they wish to catch people breaking the law (even though I figure that the hwy speed limit is too low).

What galls me about the whole deal is the LIE.

When it becomes obvious to even the most dimwitted that revenue is the name of the game and we (the voting public) demand a higher standard from our pollies, a simple "look, we need the revenue for hospitals, caring for the disabled, educating our kids, trips to the Gold Coast to unexpectedly buy a unit, etc" will do me.

A billion dollars is a pretty big lie.

edit: actually, it's not even the billion bucks. It's continually being taken for a fool that grinds my gears.

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2017, 05:50 PM   #131
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

@b0son, my mistake, the wording should have been 'contributing factor' and if NSW report it as speeding, it removes distraction, fatigue etc.

Re the QLD article, it's obviously a cut down report so won't have the legal definition of speeding, it simply is not BS because it doesn't have that info.

I noticed nobody responded (except for Blue Shadows great post ) to my question re where the $$'s goes, presumably it's to line overpaid pollies and the Secret Policeman's annual ball? OR -

What's the answer if speed cameras are simply revenue raisers? should they all be removed? pretty sure that would then allow us all to finally speed in peace...
Again all of those criteria are very subjective and subject to interpretation. I have personal experience where determining factors were hard to define so were put down in reports as speeding to save a lot of time and paperwork.

Statistics are only as good as the initial information allows them to be and are also subject to the interpretation that the compiler has and wants them to project.

Government have a vested financial interest in compiling statistics to support their assertions that this is effective road safety initiative.

A classic example of Government manipulating things to suit their views is the republic referendum. A republic that no-one wanted was concocted by government at the time and was the only one that the public were allowed to vote for. It was defeated but now if the subject comes up they state that we had a referendum for that and the public voted against it with out any mention that there was never a free vote for or against Australia becoming a republic without strings attached to the vote!

The same thing is done here with road safety statistics.

I didn't respond to the question about spending of revenue as it was a leading question as evidenced by the answers you provided yourself as being possibly representative of the respondents. You are wrong by the way. I don't think that there are many people on here that are that dumb.

It looks kind of stupid when you answer your own questions with what you think the respondents would say. A bit condescending I think.
noflac52 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2017, 09:12 PM   #132
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Ok. How about building better roads.

If you compare the Road Infrastructure in Australia with other countries like in Europe, The United Kingdom, America or even Canada. Australia's roads would has to be one of the worst in the world.
Have a look at Australia's National Highway (Highway 1) or any other major highway / road system and see how bad it really is. Especially the Bruce Highway in Queensland. Ask any Truckie. They will tell you.

Australia's Road Design and Traffic Management is out-dated and needs to be brought into the 21st Century.

I am amazed why State and Federal Governments are not serious enough in building a Super Highway Network (like the Autobahn in Germany) for traveling at High Speeds in state as well as Nation wide. This country has the room and space for this type of road infrastructure. The only problem with building this type of infrastructure would be cost and who would foot the bill.
If the State and Federal Governments use the Fuel Tax as it is should do. That is, using all the Fuel Tax on building and maintaining the road system. And not using or spending the Fuel Tax on other areas. We would and could have a better road system.
Blue Roo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2017, 09:25 PM   #133
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Roo View Post
Ok. How about building better roads.

If you compare the Road Infrastructure in Australia with other countries like in Europe, The United Kingdom, America or even Canada. Australia's roads would has to be one of the worst in the world.
Have a look at Australia's National Highway (Highway 1) or any other major highway / road system and see how bad it really is. Especially the Bruce Highway in Queensland. Ask any Truckie. They will tell you.

Australia's Road Design and Traffic Management is out-dated and needs to be brought into the 21st Century.

I am amazed why State and Federal Governments are not serious enough in building a Super Highway Network (like the Autobahn in Germany) for traveling at High Speeds in state as well as Nation wide. This country has the room and space for this type of road infrastructure. The only problem with building this type of infrastructure would be cost and who would foot the bill.
If the State and Federal Governments use the Fuel Tax as it is should do. That is, using all the Fuel Tax on building and maintaining the road system. And not using or spending the Fuel Tax on other areas. We would and could have a better road system.
The problem is that insignificant amount of people would be using the road system, to justify maintaining and building it, given Australia's humongous size. Germany is smaller than most of Australia's States and territories and the USA has more than 10x the number of people and hence number of cars getting around. The numbers don't stack up, unless we pay exorbitant tolls to use the Australia Autobahn if it ever did exist.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2017, 06:04 AM   #134
Ansimp

One of the problems around my neck of the woods ( rural SE Qld) is we have plenty of country roads with 100kph speed limits. Unfortunately as traffic increases the powers that be decide that the speed limit should be reduced even when the road is upgraded ( wider lanes and better surfacing). There is a new "satellite city" in our area ( 15 new families a week moving in ) and the majority of the drivers don't have country road experience so the speed limits are reducing by their skill sets. The best part of this new growth is the same old 20klm stretch of single lane road that I have been driving for the last 24 years is supposed to cope with all this increased traffic.
Wouldn't it be great if we could build the roads first to cope with the new development and population growth.
Ansimp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2017, 06:53 AM   #135
XWGT