Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 22-02-2022, 09:01 AM   #1
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 
Default Strange Phantom images

Hi admin team.

Some of us in the 'pits' are having issues not being able to see images posted by one user Fab. The thread I've noticed most is in the current F1 season, as Fab has been posting there a lot recently. Some other users have no problems at all whereas some of us simply see blank posts.

One such post that I some see nothing is https://www.fordforums.com.au/showpo...&postcount=153

I'm running on Android (web portal, not the Taptalk app) via Firefox (latest version).

I can't say I've seen this issue before, but it's been occurring since the beginning of Feb for sure with just Fab's F1 launch pics posts.

One final note, if I quote his posts, I can use that quote link to see the image from it's source, but not in the post window... Hopely that makes sense.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2022, 09:19 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: Strange Phantom images

No real idea - I can see the image fine and there doesn't look to be anything wrong with the URL for the image but I'll do some testing with other browsers and see what I can find.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-02-2022, 02:11 PM   #3
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it's definitely browser related
I can't see the image on Firefox, but can on Chrome

the alt tag is set to blank (I assume that's by default?) so that means that if your browser can't display the image correctly, you get nothing

There have always been issues like this with firefox. Standard advice is to "reinstall and reset to default" and sometimes that works.

I'm no expert, but I believe it has something to do with the way the "image" is configured, combined with Firefox's security/privacy features.
Firefox has a strong stance against spying, whereas that is the entire reason for Chrome's existence!

The issue is with images like that one, that are not simply inserted as an image. Rather they use a content server. (This allows the use of all sorts of permissions, tracking, etc, etc)
ie rather than simply being "....jpg"
it is "....jpg? blah blah blah"

Now if you put the whole URL directly into Firefox, that's fine, and it will work.
However when you insert the URL into another site like AFF, firefox reads that as a "third party tracker" or similar and blocks it.

You can usually fix this by dialling back Firefox's tracking security (if that's what you want)
Setting Tracking Protection back to Standard, should do it, but if not you'll need to select custom and allow trackers and possibly cross-site cookies.

Hope that helps

Last edited by Crazy Dazz; 22-02-2022 at 02:39 PM.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2022, 04:02 PM   #4
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

I think I'll just live with not seeing some pics. Thanks for looking into it and the response!

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2022, 05:39 PM   #5
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
it's definitely browser related
I can't see the image on Firefox, but can on Chrome

the alt tag is set to blank (I assume that's by default?) so that means that if your browser can't display the image correctly, you get nothing

There have always been issues like this with firefox. Standard advice is to "reinstall and reset to default" and sometimes that works.

I'm no expert, but I believe it has something to do with the way the "image" is configured, combined with Firefox's security/privacy features.
Firefox has a strong stance against spying, whereas that is the entire reason for Chrome's existence!

The issue is with images like that one, that are not simply inserted as an image. Rather they use a content server. (This allows the use of all sorts of permissions, tracking, etc, etc)
ie rather than simply being "....jpg"
it is "....jpg? blah blah blah"

Now if you put the whole URL directly into Firefox, that's fine, and it will work.
However when you insert the URL into another site like AFF, firefox reads that as a "third party tracker" or similar and blocks it.

You can usually fix this by dialling back Firefox's tracking security (if that's what you want)
Setting Tracking Protection back to Standard, should do it, but if not you'll need to select custom and allow trackers and possibly cross-site cookies.

Hope that helps
and yes ........ it's firefox related as i cannot see em either. altho when i clicked on someones link .... url had timed out? [from a quote].
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2022, 06:57 PM   #6
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

I’m on an older iPad running Firefox and I don’t have any trouble, unless Russ as fixed the issue.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2022, 08:26 PM   #7
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ive had this come and go as well , yes i use firefox too
its only happened with poster TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys and as i recall mainly in the Random pics, next thread
ive mentioned it in there too once or twice
it just comes up as a blank post to me
tho the work around i found was to quote the post (from memory with out posting quoted post) and the link to the pic comes up so i can then open link in another tab

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post