Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-06-2021, 12:06 PM   #181
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: I see Chinese made MGs everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBSXR6 View Post
They don't have to be building crud in China to be ripped off easily.
I saw a story a few years ago about Chinese counterfeiting name brand goods.
Golf Clubs were one of the examples given, a company would release a new range of Golf Clubs and within a very short time the Chinese knock off would be available.

I saw a Chinese MG in the car park and it had drum brakes on the rear.
So do all the Thailand Specials, except those cost $70K for the good ones

Its a scary thought when one of my highest volume sellers in 2021 is wheel cylinders.

JB9979 haunts me in my sleep.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2021, 01:09 PM   #182
chinamonty

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldel View Post
True but when signing contracts with China you're effectively signing a lot away - agree to it or go away. Where were these golf clubs made? Some like taylormade and callaway are made in China already anyway.
Usually they have something like we won't compete with you in your own market but "we're free to market where you don't" type clause.
Like Musk signed with them just to sell teslas in china, explicitly not US/Europe.
Fine. Next thing China making all teslas for asia and Australia, after that they'll make their own from what they've learnt and sell their own version which will take over asia and australia sales.
Some will blame China, but myself, I'll blame the company that allowed it to happen by opening factories there.
China knows how to make good product but you pay for it. The new BMW iX3 is made in China too. The factories are run by foreigners to foreign standards and a lot ar automated anyway. Yes eventually the Chinese staff will move on to other companies but isn't that how the whole industry developed in the first place.
As for signing contracts that is how the world works. Australia got Boeing 727s because the Austra
lian Government insisted on offset work being done here. the rudders and elevators for a majority of 727s were made either in Melbourne or Sydney.
chinamonty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2021, 01:54 PM   #183
bb_zetec

Youd think this day in age that a disc brake rotor and calliper would be cheaper to manufacture than all the components such as springs, shoes, wheel cylinders and backing plates etc that go into the drum set-up
But obviously not if these cars still insist on using them.

It's the fault of us consumers to a degree that everything is now made in China. We always want to pay less that and brand loyalty no longer exists anywhere...why? Well you get nothing in return for your faithful years of being brand loyal...you are seen as a cash cow ripe for the milking.

Free trade also destroyed Australia...I mean didn't the boffins know that we would never be able to compete in a world wide market with our high Labor rates due to such high living expenses demanding high wages. This country has lost its way and there is only greed, misgovernment and corporate capitalism to blame.

1966 Mustang Convertible - Wimbledon White
- 289ci Windsor - C4 Auto - Power Hydraulic Roof / Factory AC

Previous Fords:
- 2012 FGII XR6 Manual Ute - Kinetic - 1984 XF Fairmont Ghia - Olympic Gold - 1987 XF S Pak - White- 1994 ED Falcon Classic V8 - Polynesian Green - 1999 AU1 Falcon S - Hot Chilli Red
- 2009 LV Focus Zetec 5sp Manual - Black Sapphire
bb_zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-06-2021, 05:37 PM   #184
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldel View Post
True but when signing contracts with China you're effectively signing a lot away - agree to it or go away. Where were these golf clubs made? Some like taylormade and callaway are made in China already anyway.
Usually they have something like we won't compete with you in your own market but "we're free to market where you don't" type clause.
Like Musk signed with them just to sell teslas in china, explicitly not US/Europe.
Fine. Next thing China making all teslas for asia and Australia, after that they'll make their own from what they've learnt and sell their own version which will take over asia and australia sales.
Some will blame China, but myself, I'll blame the company that allowed it to happen by opening factories there.
Bingo, a lot of people don't actually understand this. If you want access to their market, you need to give up something, and often it is the IP to your design. Sure they do a lot of imitation on cheap goods, but on the major items its often given to them by the companies. The money is too good to ignore.

I heard that all EVs delivered to EU member states in the government sector will be china made.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2021, 07:46 PM   #185
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I'm sure we all remember the witch hunt and roasting Ford copped over the Mustang's saftey score.

ANCAP wanted the Mustang crashed tested because it was a high selling model, and therefore stated it needed to be given a star rating in fairness to consumers. Ford refused and then ANCAP went and bought one. The rest is history.

So, the MG 3 is one the countries highest selling cars, in higher volume than the Mustang for that matter. I would also state that the MG 3 is going to be driven by many as a first car and, dare I say, drivers less experienced than those who pilot a expensive performance car.

ANCAP have NOT tested this car.

https://howsafeisyourcar.com.au/mg/mg3/2020

NCAP have tested the MG 3 to 3-Stars, in 2014. It would be a 1-Star car at best if tested today.

"So now we come to the elephant in the room, safety. Of course, if the MG 3 had a safety rating of five stars, we would now say something along the lines of 'it’s not exactly best in class for any one particular attribute, but given the price, we couldn't think of a better first car or second as a runabout'. However, that is not the case. With a three-star safety rating (Euro NCAP only), the MG 3 remains a choice that needs much consideration before committing."
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2021, 08:36 PM   #186
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Suzuki Baleno can be added to the list. How it's allowed I have no idea.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2021, 12:58 PM   #187
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

3,944 MG3s recalled because the fuel tank could fall off.
LOL. Makes for easier swap to batteries ?
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2021, 11:56 PM   #188
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
New GWM Ute upgraded already

The new 2021 GWM Ute has already been upgraded and new model variants are coming soon as the Chinese car-maker responds to early customer and media feedback since the dual-cab 4x4 ute was launched earlier this year.

GWM Australia, which covers both GWM (previously Great Wall Motors) and Haval brands, has also confirmed a variety of other new ute and SUV models – including EVs – are heading Down Under as the company aims to continue its strong sales growth and sets ambitious new targets, including becoming a top 10 brand within three years.

The new GWM Ute will lead the charge, and GWM Australia has revealed that it has already implemented powertrain tweaks for its diesel-powered 4x4 ute to better tailor the vehicle to local conditions and preferences.

“The feedback was there was too much turbo lag, and the throttle response wasn’t quick enough,” said GWM Australia head of marketing and communications, Steve Maciver.

“So that feedback was taken [from Australia] directly to R&D … and we’ve already put those changes now into production.”

GWM Ute Cannon 4x4 dual-cab ute models arriving from July will feature recalibrated throttle mapping via a software upgrade that improves acceleration response time.

Those who’ve already purchased a GWM Ute can have the software upgrade installed for free at GWM dealerships during a regular service.

The July update also sees improved Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone mirroring added.
https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...lready-130668/
Old 26-06-2021, 12:26 AM   #189
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone who buys a CCP MG needs their head read. It's a **** version of a Mazda
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-07-2021, 10:38 PM   #190
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

June 2021 and the MG brand is in 8th position!

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2021, 07:32 AM   #191
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

I tend to agree with the quality statements but watch as EV's come on line, people laughed about cars being appliances. Its just the start.

Also keep in mind MG is just selling cars, perhaps have a think about why people are buying cheaper brands and that is the more disheartening story.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2021, 10:47 AM   #192
blakeyBF

"Also keep in mind MG is just selling cars, perhaps have a think about why people are buying cheaper brands and that is the more disheartening story."

I'm thinking of buying a new car (SUV) in the near future and the MG's certainly look value-for-money.
However I won't buy an MG as I'll wait awhile to see what the vehicles are like after a couple of years use.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:31 AM   #193
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not an MG but my parents tossed up between Kia Sportage and Haval H6 and ended up taking the Haval. I tried to get them to look at Escape but unfortunately supply is very much an issue as well as price so the Ford was not considered, wait times are huge and the Haval will be here any tick of the clock. Completely their decision and I hope they enjoy their new ride. We are good friends with the GWM/Haval dealer here which is a plus.
Old 06-07-2021, 02:25 PM   #194
Warrenk

A friend of ours just bought a MG hybrid and is very happy with it considering his last 2 cars were Mercedes diesels. He had to buy an SUV as his wife has hip and knee problems so he needed a higher vehicle. I know someone in Melbourne who owned an original MG and a one stage was the president of the MG club. As he got older he was having trouble getting in and out of a sports car so he sold it and bought a chinese version and kept his club membership. There were a few members that were a bit upset with this. He recently told me there are more of the older members selling there MG sports cars and buying the more comfortable chinese versions.
Old 06-07-2021, 04:43 PM   #195
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
“The feedback was there was too much turbo lag, and the throttle response wasn’t quick enough,” said GWM Australia head of marketing and communications, Steve Maciver.

“So that feedback was taken [from Australia] directly to R&D … and we’ve already put those changes now into production.”
Quote:
The feedback from Australian Farmers was "your cars are ****"

So we took that feedback back to the Chinese Authorities, and now there's a 200% import tariff on Australia Grain

Any more complaints you'd like us to pass along?
It's sometimes unavoidable, but wherever I can I will avoid buying Chinese products. (My undies were made in Bangladesh)

I'll walk before I buy a Chinese car.

(and yes, I'm well aware that the industry in which I work sells most of it's ore to China, I'm not professing any moral high-ground, just my personal choice.)
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2021, 08:36 PM   #196
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Anyone who buys a CCP MG needs their head read. It's a **** version of a Mazda
Price. Mazda charge what they do because they can, same as every other make. Which is strange considering Millennials and beyond are buying less and less cars, so in a decade or twos time good luck to the auto companies. And now someone new is undercutting them.

For day to day driving there’s simply nothing wrong with the Chinese makes. Most people’s problems with them are just that they’re Chinese. There’s Chinese cars that are 6 or 7 years old I see on the roads and they still look fine, not falling apart, paint looks good. Compare a $40k GWM Cannon X to a $65k Wildtrack and find the $25k difference between the two. Ranger might drive better, but $25k better?
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2021, 08:50 PM   #197
slowsnake
Banned

Hey Franco,
What happened to # Free Britney #...I like some of your sh.t!

Cheers King Billy
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2021, 08:59 PM   #198
Warrenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
I'll walk before I buy a Chinese car.
Famous last words. I had an uncle and aunty that said a similar thing about buying a Japanese car in the 60's. By the mid 70's they bought a Toyota Crown and for the next 30years they just kept upgrading with same brand. Chinese cars will be no different.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:20 PM   #199
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
Hey Franco,
What happened to # Free Britney #...I like some of your sh.t!

Cheers King Billy
Britney Spears - in some dodgy legal 'conservatorship' where she has no legal control over her finances or even her own body, if you've got nothing better to do, some interesting reading

I see a lot of MG3s on the road, not so much the SUV variations.

Tell you what I could be enticed by an MG3 with boost under the hood, that's for sure. I used to be all Fillet Mignon, now I'm a fan of the cheaper cuts
Old 06-07-2021, 10:44 PM   #200
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Neighbour just Brough a new MG, for what he paid it comes well equipped and given he only keeps his cars no more than 4 years and leaves them out in the elements really a no brainer,
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2021, 02:16 AM   #201
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenk View Post
Famous last words. I had an uncle and aunty that said a similar thing about buying a Japanese car in the 60's. By the mid 70's they bought a Toyota Crown and for the next 30years they just kept upgrading with same brand. Chinese cars will be no different.
I'm not sure if you realise how absurdly racist it is (and you're hardly the only one) to say "oh the Chinese will be just like the Japanese"
Why?
Completely Different People
Completely Different Culture
Completely Different Government
Completely Different Economic System
Completely Different Moral Code
Completely Different approach to Quality

I'm sure that most of us either have friends, co-workers, or grew-up with guys of "Chinese" heritage.
Maybe we even think that some of their characteristics are due to that "Heritage." But don't confuse them with the PRC.

Besides even if they were to follow the same trajectory, I'll be dead before it happens.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2021, 08:49 AM   #202
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Joke. What is unique about Covid-19 ?

It's the only thing that comes out of China that seems to last for long.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2021, 09:17 AM   #203
UTXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Price. Mazda charge what they do because they can, same as every other make. Which is strange considering Millennials and beyond are buying less and less cars, so in a decade or twos time good luck to the auto companies. And now someone new is undercutting them.

For day to day driving there’s simply nothing wrong with the Chinese makes. Most people’s problems with them are just that they’re Chinese. There’s Chinese cars that are 6 or 7 years old I see on the roads and they still look fine, not falling apart, paint looks good. Compare a $40k GWM Cannon X to a $65k Wildtrack and find the $25k difference between the two. Ranger might drive better, but $25k better?

exactly....I just bought a LDV T60 dual cab for under 30k...about to buy a bayliner also...both were cheaper than a ranger, bt 50 etc etc...very happy with the LDV...
UTXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2021, 02:38 PM   #204
Warrenk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
I'm not sure if you realise how absurdly racist it is (and you're hardly the only one) to say "oh the Chinese will be just like the Japanese"
Why?
Completely Different People
Completely Different Culture
Completely Different Government
Completely Different Economic System
Completely Different Moral Code
Completely Different approach to Quality

I'm sure that most of us either have friends, co-workers, or grew-up with guys of "Chinese" heritage.
Maybe we even think that some of their characteristics are due to that "Heritage." But don't confuse them with the PRC.

Besides even if they were to follow the same trajectory, I'll be dead before it happens.
Nothing racist about that comment(more likely you not accepting reality). Most people would understood that meant their manufacturing ability, just like the Koreans have stepped up and making quality vehicles. The trouble for the other manufacturers is the Chinese will get up to speed faster than the Japanese and Koreans did. If you believe you will be dead "before it happens" you better start arranging your funeral now.
Old 07-07-2021, 04:58 PM   #205
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

lol WTF? It's the top selling car in it's category/price range....I can't believe that

Old 07-07-2021, 06:15 PM   #206
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post

Reading wheels recent dual cab test, the GWM Cannon was a hunk of junk. Dead last by a mile. Drives like dual cabs used to 15 years ago. So in this case you do get what you pay for. The steering is so bad it loads up and goes rock hard during sharp evasive manoeuvres. Super safe for when that roo jumps out in front of you and you need to swerve around it
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2021, 06:20 PM   #207
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Those older Chinese and Indian dual cabs always look as if they have a narrower track than other well know brands. Just what you need on a farm.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2021, 06:50 PM   #208
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Bossxr8;6599774 Super safe for when that roo jumps out in front of you and you need to swerve around it [/QUOTE]

Country driving hints 1.01 ............... don't swerve to avoid roos. You will end up off the road, in a ditch or a tree while the roo heads off laughing into the distance.
Jump on the brakes, hard, and hope for the best.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2021, 07:06 PM   #209
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

It's really no surprise to see the MG 3 leading it's segement after all the major players have increased their prices significantly over the last 12 - 18 months.

Suzuki, Kia, Hyundai, Toyota and Mazda have all hiked the price of their cheapest models in recent times. MG have entered the market and taken advantage of this.

A Yaris was once a $17,990 proporsition, it now starts at $27K.
https://www.toyota.com.au/yaris/prices

A Kia Rio was once a $17K car, now staring at just over $20K.
https://www.kia.com/au/shopping-tool...trim.rio.html#

MG have entered the market and taken advantage of this, offering a car at a price it seems most want to pay in this segment. It does not matter to these buyers how crap the car actually is, it matters more that it's brand new, has a long warranty and didn't cost $27K!

https://mgmotor.com.au/form-specials/?special=11010
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2021, 07:32 PM   #210
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Reading wheels recent dual cab test, the GWM Cannon was a hunk of junk. Dead last by a mile. Drives like dual cabs used to 15 years ago. So in this case you do get what you pay for. The steering is so bad it loads up and goes rock hard during sharp evasive manoeuvres. Super safe for when that roo jumps out in front of you and you need to swerve around it
hey Boss all to its own as they say.....

For me, I hardly see any chinese dual cab or car on the roads I frequent though the ones I have - those early GW dual cabs were a POS, the MG's good luck to them, you get what you pay for as they say.
I suppose they have improved for these Cannons at least look the part more.
Its all about budget, IF I was in the position of not having the funds I guess a new Cannon it would be, WTY is WTY but what about 200thou k's later.
Oh hng on I only paid under $30k, I suppose I expect its use by date is half of the majors. Can I afford to update again when it costs me more than its worth within 2/3yrs !?
Why can they use a platform similar to Ranger/Hilux and all its component costs must be 50% less, I'd sooner nuy a 2nd/3rd hand Ranger Hilux but thats me.
MG's and this Cannon got to prove themselves I guess.
OR should we change our mindset in todays throw away society and these cheap variants expect less and stfu.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post