Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 09-03-2021, 02:24 PM   #1
Shepherd
Starter Motor

Default Space Saver Spare Tyre

Before joining, I read all the posts back to when the MD Mondeo was released, but didn't see any comments on this subject.

Its bad enough that my spare tyre is little more than half the width of the full size tyres, but it is also 60mm smaller in diameter.
Can anyone tell me how the car drives when fitted with a space saver - especially on the front?
If I had a flat front tyre, I think I would put the space saver on the back then put the full size tyre on the front. Just hope it doesn't happen on a rainy night!

I asked a tyre dealer whether there was a wider tyre available that would fit on the 4 inch wide rim, but he said they were a dealer item.
Its been suggested to me that I get another full size rim & tyre & build the floor up to it, but I'm reluctant to do that for a couple of reasons.
Note - I have a wagon & so need a 17 inch or larger rim.
Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2021, 02:56 PM   #2
mourati

Default Re: Space Saver Spare Tyre

How many flat tyres are you predicting will happen in the life of a car?
All depends on a number of variables and where you drive etc., but space savers are designed and intended for any side of the vehicle (front or back) - they save fuel too due to reduced weight, and buying a full sized alloy (or steel) wheel and tyre for the "what ifs" when you have one designed and installed already in your boot is a question over spending the money for how much gain in the event it happens for a situation where you'll be repairing the flat maybe days after it occurs?? just my views having worked in OEM industry for many years until they decided to close the rollers doors!!!
mourati is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2021, 09:56 PM   #3
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You could buy a can of that goop you put in the tyres and plugs a puncture hole, theyve worked for me a few times. Then you would only need to use the space saver if the tyre suffers worse than the typical small puncture which seems to be the most common cause of flats. Some models of cars dont even come with a spare but instead one of those cans.

I have 155 wide space savers in both my BA and AU fairlane, and if I was far from home I wouldnt be too keen on running one on the front. When I travel further I tend to swap it out for a full sized wheel, sometimes even 2 of them if Im going really far. But if you are close to home, dont think you will notice the different height too much if taking it easy, of course youd have to be sensible about it and drive conservatively, like you are supposed to with a space saver.

By the way the BA/BF/FG and territory space savers, which are also 4" rims if I remember right, came with 2 different height 155 17" inch tyre, there is a 70 series and an 80 series. The 80 is a fair bit taller, usually found on later cars and terrys.

Perhaps one of those tyres on your space saver wheel could give you extra height so you are closer to the other wheels... not sure what tyre you would have.
lumen8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2021, 12:19 AM   #4
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Interesting OP, my folks 2015 MD Titx has a full size spare but it's a steel rim not like the alloys it's actually got on all four corners.
This user likes this post:
Old 10-03-2021, 03:27 PM   #5
Shepherd
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mourati View Post
How many flat tyres are you predicting will happen in the life of a car?
All depends on a number of variables and where you drive etc., but space savers are designed and intended for any side of the vehicle (front or back) - they save fuel too due to reduced weight, and buying a full sized alloy (or steel) wheel and tyre for the "what ifs" when you have one designed and installed already in your boot is a question over spending the money for how much gain in the event it happens for a situation where you'll be repairing the flat maybe days after it occurs?? just my views having worked in OEM industry for many years until they decided to close the rollers doors!!!
I can only remember 2 flat tyres in the past 50 years, but I could have 2 more in the next 12 months - only time will tell.
What annoys me is that Ford seems to have selected the cheapest temporary tyre that meets the load rating & not worried about the difference in diameter.
Old 10-03-2021, 03:37 PM   #6
Shepherd
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumen8 View Post
You could buy a can of that goop you put in the tyres and plugs a puncture hole, theyve worked for me a few times. Then you would only need to use the space saver if the tyre suffers worse than the typical small puncture which seems to be the most common cause of flats. Some models of cars dont even come with a spare but instead one of those cans.

I have 155 wide space savers in both my BA and AU fairlane, and if I was far from home I wouldnt be too keen on running one on the front. When I travel further I tend to swap it out for a full sized wheel, sometimes even 2 of them if Im going really far. But if you are close to home, dont think you will notice the different height too much if taking it easy, of course youd have to be sensible about it and drive conservatively, like you are supposed to with a space saver.

By the way the BA/BF/FG and territory space savers, which are also 4" rims if I remember right, came with 2 different height 155 17" inch tyre, there is a 70 series and an 80 series. The 80 is a fair bit taller, usually found on later cars and terrys.

Perhaps one of those tyres on your space saver wheel could give you extra height so you are closer to the other wheels... not sure what tyre you would have.
Thank you. My 235/50R17 tyres are 668mm diameter according to tiresize.com/calculator. The spare (T125/70R17) is 607mm.
A 155/70R17 would be a lot better at 648mm.
155/80R17 would be closer still at 681mm but might jam in the recess.
Old 10-03-2021, 03:46 PM   #7
Shepherd
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrin View Post
Interesting OP, my folks 2015 MD Titx has a full size spare but it's a steel rim not like the alloys it's actually got on all four corners.
If its the original spare, it would be a 215/60R16 tyre & the car must be a hatch. I believe that wagons need 17 inch wheels due to their larger brakes - but I'm happy to be corrected.
Old 10-03-2021, 05:34 PM   #8
mourati

It's interesting to see the thoughts around whereby swapping out spare tyres on ones vehicle as was originally built as per vehicle spec? don't see or understand the logic here other than what you are doing, is at ones risk, noting extensive testing and validation was conducted to arrive at the spare tyre you have in the boot. all space saver tyres have speed limitations attached too. if you change your spare to another size of your choosing - and you're driving with the spare tyre on due to a flat, (other than OEM), and you're involved in an accident, most if not all insurance companies will look at ways to waive your rights due to this (even a spare tyre) - buyer beware!
mourati is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2021, 04:19 PM   #9
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There was a thread - go here:

https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11471223

I spent almost a month trying to find a 17' wheel with a 6.5" or 7" width which would allow a legal fitment of a 195R17 60 tyre as a spare to give a wheel and tyre diameter of 666mm. Ideal!

You get to chase a number of factors - wheel diameter - stud PCD and number - wheel width and finally a tyre width and profile that will get close (ie within 5mm either way) of the road wheels and tyres fitted to your car.

Good luck, if it helps Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, Jaguar, Volvo and Focus cars were frequently fitted with 5x108 stud patterns.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2021, 06:20 PM   #10
Shepherd
Starter Motor

Thank you for your reply. I remember now reading that thread earlier.
I didn't know about Renault, Peugeot & Citroen - only about Volvo, Jaguar & Land Rover.

It appears that the Endura has (or had - now discontinued) a T155/70R18 space saver, which is 5mm larger in diameter than the 235/50R17.

I'd still like to hear from someone who has had experience with using a space saver - especially on the front, so that I'd have a better idea whether a double wheel change was worthwhile if I had flat front tyre.

Last edited by Shepherd; 12-03-2021 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Added last sentence.
Old 04-04-2021, 10:26 AM   #11
bundybear75

I run a full size spare (steelie) on my MC wagon. It fits in the space diameter wise, but does sit higher in the boot. I bought the car second hand, but I believe it was factory fitment as there is foam spacer all around under the boot mat.

I had call to use the spare 3 times now in 5 years, and I travel approx 50K km per year. I run 18 inch alloys and the 16 inch steel spare is slightly smaller in diameter, but fine for the time it will be on the car until the flat is repaired.
2010 Peugeot 308 HDi SW - Shaggin Wagon II
2016 VDJ200R Landcruiser GX Wagon - TTD V8 Power !
2017 Toyota RAV4 GX Wagon - Shopping trolley - Gone
2022 Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription - Shopping trolley II
2002 BMW R1150GS
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2021, 12:17 PM   #12
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
Before joining, I read all the posts back to when the MD Mondeo was released, but didn't see any comments on this subject.

Its bad enough that my spare tyre is little more than half the width of the full size tyres, but it is also 60mm smaller in diameter.
Can anyone tell me how the car drives when fitted with a space saver - especially on the front?
If I had a flat front tyre, I think I would put the space saver on the back then put the full size tyre on the front. Just hope it doesn't happen on a rainy night!

I asked a tyre dealer whether there was a wider tyre available that would fit on the 4 inch wide rim, but he said they were a dealer item.
Its been suggested to me that I get another full size rim & tyre & build the floor up to it, but I'm reluctant to do that for a couple of reasons.
Note - I have a wagon & so need a 17 inch or larger rim.
I guess it depends on the kind of road surfeace you mainly drive on but due to the shear volumne of rough spray seal single lane and dirt roads here in the North East I wouldn't use anything but full size spare or at least a back up can of goop or plugs.
I've experienced seeing cars driving off onto the soft shoulder when passing and blowing out front tyres due to the sharp road edges. Not a pretty sight.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2023, 06:08 PM   #13
BezFalcon
Starter Motor

To be honest, on my Falcon, I had to put a space saver on, and I am glad the flat occurred around the corner from my house, because I limped along at 15km/h. I have spent every moment wanting to replace the thing with a proper wheel. I even had an old tyre put aside to replace it with. Space savers are horrible, if you get a flat on a freeway, don't even bother changing it, get the car towed and be done with it. Having a space saver is the same as not having a spare tyre full stop. You may as well have absolutely nothing in the boot. Now, I want to buy a Mondeo, and that has a damn space saver. Can someone recommend me someone who can sell me a semi decent spare tyre for my Falcon and my future Mondeo? I'm in SE suburbs of Melbourne.
BezFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2023, 06:13 PM   #14
BezFalcon
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
I can only remember 2 flat tyres in the past 50 years, but I could have 2 more in the next 12 months - only time will tell.
What annoys me is that Ford seems to have selected the cheapest temporary tyre that meets the load rating & not worried about the difference in diameter.
Are you kidding? I had to replace 3 tyres in a 6 month period. Wasn't happy at all. All of them were large nails, I swear I thought I had someone putting them in at night, all in the side wall too and at the back of the car near the street. And I think I tried repairing one of them once, and the repair failed in a week. Never again. And damn, takes so long to replace a tyre using Tyresales. And most of the places that end up installing your tyres are annoying, like I would never service my car at any of these places.
BezFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post